[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

SReject

Jul 29, 2019
High Oven, 8 blocks tall with Fluiducts filtered to every single set of metal possible.
I keep meaning to setup a high oven for smelting, but the basic smeltery is just 'easy' imo (That is, once you 1: have enough seared bricks for 2 of em, and 2: know how to divide the ores so metals dont mix)

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I keep meaning to setup a high oven for smelting, but the basic smeltery is just 'easy' imo (That is, once you 1: have enough seared bricks for 2 of em, and 2: know how to divide the ores so metals dont mix)

You actually don't even need two. If you have a drain -> fluiduct for every metal type and can ensure that it won't backlog the fluiducts can pull the metal out before it alloys. At least IIRC.

SReject

Jul 29, 2019
You actually don't even need two. If you have a drain -> fluiduct for every metal type and can ensure that it won't backlog the fluiducts can pull the metal out before it alloys. At least IIRC.
It depends on timing. If say 3 copper and a tin where to enter to controller at the same time, they'd mix before the fluid duct could pull either out. Back when I was playing Agrarian Skies, I had a setup exactly like you mentioned, but every now and then I'd get some mixing

Evillevi

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer speed and something to use my Charcoal on.

Doesn't help that high ovens not only smelt more the larger they are but they also smelt faster since their temperature goes up the higher it is

SReject

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer speed and something to use my Charcoal on.

Doesn't help that high ovens not only smelt more the larger they are but they also smelt faster since their temperature goes up the higher it is
Speed isn't an issue for me, once you have a few stacks of basic-metal blocks, you really don't need lightning speed smelting

SReject

Jul 29, 2019
Multiple barrels of half filled Metal blocks is more rewarding than a barrel of Charcoal.
My previous comment was satirical and not meant to be taken seriously.

But the thing is, if the basic smeltery is able to smelt everything coming out of your 'ore creation'(sieves, laser, what-have-you), then there's no real speed gain. The high oven would be just rushing to wait. That isn't to say the high oven doesn't have it's benefits (no alloys, speed per input, smaller footprint, stacked inputs, etc etc), just that if you can't feed it fast enough, there's no overall SPEED benifit

Evillevi

Jul 29, 2019
My previous comment was satirical and not meant to be taken seriously.

But the thing is, if the basic smeltery is able to smelt everything coming out of your 'ore creation'(sieves, laser, what-have-you), then there's no real speed gain. The high oven would be just rushing to wait. That isn't to say the high oven doesn't have it's benefits (no alloys, speed per input, smaller footprint, stacked inputs, etc etc), just that if you can't feed it fast enough, there's no overall SPEED benifit
Actually there's a genuine and notable difference in that as long as your smeltery is experiencing a bottle neck, you're still quite a fair bit faster if you use the High Oven with gaps in between each batch of process Ore. And with an auto farm set up it's trivial to constantly supply the high oven with ores.

And with enough SFM Seivers you can develop a backlog quite easily and quickly which will overwhelm most smelteries[DOUBLEPOST=1413132695][/DOUBLEPOST]The 50% extra production doesn't hurt as well

SReject

Jul 29, 2019
The 50% extra production doesn't hurt as well
I've had a question about this, and no one seems to be able to answer it: Does it only apply to the Gravel, Sand, and Dust versions of the 'ore', or does the increase also apply to Broken, Crush, Pulverized bits aswell?

Evillevi

Jul 29, 2019
I've had a question about this, and no one seems to be able to answer it: Does it only apply to the Gravel, Sand, and Dust versions of the 'ore', or does the increase also apply to Broken, Crush, Pulverized bits aswell?
only Dust from when I last checked it. Granted I was running a few self made mod packs so I could be confusing things.

almightyfoon

Jul 29, 2019

It only applies to dusts.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
*JUST* dusts, or gravel and sand versions aswell
I tested this quite a bit. Only dust will triple in a high oven. Now you can use a pulveriser to break gravel ore into sand ore and sand into dust ore but you can do that with a hammer as well. Basically the pulveriser lets you automate the hammer without needing to use one.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
I find it far easier [albeit more time-consuming] to build a High Oven [4-high] before a Smeltry.

Setup a crucible and feed it cobble. Throw a liquiduct on the crucible set to output to a casting table. Setup a hopper to feed the table brick. Easy scorched stone. Make enough scorched stone to get yourself a HO controller, 2 drains, and a duct enough bricks to make the HO 4-high [think this can be done with a stack (or 2) of brick]. Setup HO, feed it the cobble, and filter one drain to blacklist seared stone. Now you can triple ores and make seared/scorched bricks.

Edit: removed doublepost

SReject

Jul 29, 2019
I tested this quite a bit. Only dust will triple in a high oven. Now you can use a pulveriser to break gravel ore into sand ore and sand into dust ore but you can do that with a hammer as well. Basically the pulveriser lets you automate the hammer without needing to use one.
Hammers have a small chance to produce 'extras'. For example, hammering iron ore gravel normally gives you 4 crushed iron ore (IIRC), but there's a chance for it to give you 5

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Hammers have a small chance to produce 'extras'. For example, hammering iron ore gravel normally gives you 4 crushed iron ore (IIRC), but there's a chance for it to give you 5
True and the pulveriser has a 40 percent chance of also doing the same. There is a secondary output. So unless you are using a diamond hammer with fortune 3 on it in an autonomous activator its probably best to use the pulveriser.

SReject

Jul 29, 2019
True and the pulveriser has a 40 percent chance of also doing the same. There is a secondary output. So unless you are using a diamond hammer with fortune 3 on it in an autonomous activator its probably best to use the pulveriser.
Ahh, I knew the pulverizer had an secondary 'export' slot, didn't know they had the same chance to produce extras. kudos