[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm... I was just perusing the EnviroMine configs in the pack. They need some work. I've tinkered with EnviroMine configs in the past so I know how much work they are. It is understandable why they are in such a rudimentary condition. Anyone out there tinkered with the configs? Eliminated the duplicates? Added missing drinks? Fixed heat levels on items and blocks?

Yoshi667

Jul 29, 2019
No worries. Cities are a cake walk....Unless you meet a Vampire Pigman...or a Zombie with 427 HP...or a Brutish Pigman...or a brutish Zombie...or a hoard of archers (Skeleton, Zombie, or Pigman)...or a blaze that saw you first...aside from that...cake.
The cities are hell. I do have a few suggestions though.

1) Take a stack or two of glowstone nooks with you to light that bitch up like an artificial sun.
2) Taking the buildings from top to bottom will ensure stuff doesn't suicide jump out the windows and gives you a good escape route with your glider if needed.
3) Vampire pigmen can be easily dispatched with a wooden dagger/knife. Anything else will barely hurt them, wood ruins their day though because they are vampires (daggers are the only valid wood weapons though). :(
4) Know what you are looking for and don't be greedy.
5) Create a sync shell before you go. They aren't overly difficult to make and will definitely give you peace of mind.
6) Have a spare set of everything made up sitting back at base. That way if you do die you have a spare set of stuff like a camelpack/water/glider/tools etc.
7) Sleeping bags are awesome, you can sleep at exactly 6.33pm. This is about 27mins before normal mobs will spawn in the world. I.e those not created by mob spawners.

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
Put some Cryotheum in a bucket and carry it around. According to the configs in the pack that will reduce your temperature.

Reactions: Raveb

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Am I the only one that finds the glowstone "nook" usage a bit of an exploit? Allowing all but free non-heat producing lighting.

LostBMe

Jul 29, 2019
Am I the only one that finds the glowstone "nook" usage a bit of an exploit? Allowing all but free non-heat producing lighting.

They also make zombies dance when they get stuck on them so it's cheap entertainment too. If mobgriefing is off. Which you have on.

Reactions: Yoshi667

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012

Universally? Nah. It was part of a reward bag meant to be used that way on AgS. This map uses the Quest Book so it has obvious inspiration if only in that form from AgS so I'd say it's more of just being smart. If you really find them cheaty you could add a heat value to them yourself though.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
A bit of an exploit? Yes. One that I plan to stop exploiting anytime soon? Nope.
I just hate seeing all these city guides instructing players to bring stacks of "nooks" so as to light the place up like the face of the sun........ I don't know.... I just feel it should take a bit more work than sawing down a few blocks of glowstone to create huge "safe" zones.

Torches are pretty dang cheap, but those nooks are insanely so....

Micro-blocks are primarily added for aesthetic purposes, not necessarily to provide a cheap form of lighting.[DOUBLEPOST=1409775945][/DOUBLEPOST]
Universally? Nah. It was part of a reward bag meant to be used that way on AgS. This map uses the Quest Book so it has obvious inspiration if only in that form from AgS so I'd say it's more of just being smart. If you really find them cheaty you could add a heat value to them yourself though.
I never saw ag sky's as being intended to be a difficult pack...... I think the "vision" for CL is quit different.

Shin Sekai

Jul 29, 2019
I don't even see a point to lighting up the city with any form of lights let alone nooks. Pigmen ignore light levels and blaze ignore light levels and those are the only two mobs that really give me any problem, so what's the point of lighting up their spawners or the area or whatever. When nighttime comes, just go to sleep in a sleeping bag, or if you are like me and doing a no sleep challenge, just leave the city or if you have flight, go sit on top of one of the buildings until daytime. Honestly, there's nothing to loot in the city except the tico building, pneu building, and reactor building. All the other buildings have junk in them, junk that you can just craft yourself if you really need it.

Reactions: ScottieC

Raveb

Jul 29, 2019
I just hate seeing all these city guides instructing players to bring stacks of "nooks" so as to light the place up like the face of the sun........ I don't know.... I just feel it should take a bit more work than sawing down a few blocks of glowstone to create huge "safe" zones.

Torches are pretty dang cheap, but those nooks are insanely so....

Micro-blocks are primarily added for aesthetic purposes, not necessarily to provide a cheap form of lighting.[DOUBLEPOST=1409775945][/DOUBLEPOST]
I never saw ag sky's as being intended to be a difficult pack...... I think the "vision" for CL is quit different.

I will say that they are both about equally cheap. Torches require tree farming and or cobble gathering and gravel sifting, then several crafting steps to get torches out of those materials. All used items are completely renewable in this pack. Glowstone nooks require 8 glowstone, which requires sifting dust, and a saw, which requires sifting gravel or smelting iron. These also require several crafting steps to get the end product. The real difference between them is the heat, and torches don't put off that much heat.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012

CL isn't all that difficult tbh. Once you understand the concepts it's just micromanaging properly. Iskandar knew of the nooks and what people use them for yet saw fit not to add a heat source to them. I see this as intentional. Torches are rudimentary glowstone nooks are more like modern lightning.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
CL isn't all that difficult tbh. Once you understand the concepts it's just micromanaging properly. Iskandar knew of the nooks and what people use them for yet saw fit not to add a heat source to them. I see this as intentional. Torches are rudimentary glowstone nooks are more like modern lightning.
No, CL isn't horribly difficult which is why I mentioned the vision rather than speaking to what it is...... There seems to be a bit of a contest, at least on this forum between those of us who'd like it to be more difficult, and those who'd rather be able to play it in peaceful mode.

You're correct in that torches are rudimentary, and glowstone is the advancement, but in this pack glowstone is cheap enough before you multiply it into "nooks".

anyways, like all these types of conversations I doubt we'll comes to a conclusion...... I'll leave off here. I fully accept that as usual I'm likely in the minority.

Shin Sekai

Jul 29, 2019
Should just add nooks and any other microblocks to the zombie grief list, glowstone is already on the grief list, so it only makes sense.

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
Isn't Zombie griefing part of Zombie Awareness? I left it out because it was disabled by default and I haven't noticed any griefing. I used torches for quite a long time before I learned glowstone nooks emitted light, but not heat.

Shin Sekai

Jul 29, 2019
Isn't Zombie griefing part of Zombie Awareness? I left it out because it was disabled by default and I haven't noticed any griefing. I used torches for quite a long time before I learned glowstone nooks emitted light, but not heat.
ZA is enabled by default in 1.1.2. It was for me anyway.