1.5.1 Beta Pack-DIY Edition (now with 1.5.2)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
I think using ID Resolver my first go around is my issue. I really do need to start from the ground up and rebuild. I think I'm going to snag the configs from FTB and work around those.

I just feel like I don't have a good enough grasp of these things to be successful. Only one way to find out!

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
I think using ID Resolver my first go around is my issue. I really do need to start from the ground up and rebuild. I think I'm going to snag the configs from FTB and work around those.

I just feel like I don't have a good enough grasp of these things to be successful. Only one way to find out!

Just remember. The only way to fail is to stop trying. Even the experts at FTB had to do this for the first time at one point.

Reactions: russjr08

Slaagathor

Jul 29, 2019

One step at a time! I'm up to 87 mods that seem to be working together. I am having issues getting a stable world with Railcraft and Steve's Carts... but I'm working on it! And I'm using the term "stable" *very* loosely, hehe

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
Three hours later.........

I'm done with my configs. There were really only a few conflicts, so it was fairly easy to resolve. I've also made a back up of ALL of them, and a general guide in a word document (should something screw up).

So now to load all the mods together to see if they play nicely. Fingers crossed!

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
Ohhh, oh. I did it. I figured out the crash report and fixed it. *go me, go me*.

Man there is something super satisfying about making 60+ mods play well together. I honestly never thought I'd be able to do something like this on my own. Thanks for all the help and encouragement guys <3

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
The next step is working the configs so everything is playing nice together. For example, config/forestry/backpacks.cfg. Hop to it!

And also, it's like... not hard to end up with a pack that is cleaner than FTB Ultimate or DW20. They're in kinda weird states right now.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
The next step is working the configs so everything is playing nice together. For example, config/forestry/backpacks.cfg. Hop to it!

And also, it's like... not hard to end up with a pack that is cleaner than FTB Ultimate or DW20. They're in kinda weird states right now.

I have to agree on this on both counts. The issue of the public modpacks is that they have to make them compatible for everyone, but not everyone has the same setup. In addition, people add to or take away mods to their liking which can mess with mod interactions.

Take Powercraft. I'm using it as the 1.5.1 alternative to Redpower since there is a lot of overlap with the logic gates and wireless redstone. And chimneys...nothing makes a building look more industrial than some strategically placed chimneys. Powercraft's launcher system is pretty ingenious, but it can seriously break things if you aren't super careful with it. It can even break forge implementation on your worlds if you don't 'massage' the configs.

Mekanism isn't as bad, but it doesn't play well even with other UE mods without some work.

It isn't as bad now as it was, but some mods won't recognize their blocks if they aren't within a certain ID range. I think it was IC2 as the worst offender when the first 4096 block mod came out. I think the worst issue of all with current configs is the Metallurgy 3 configs. It only has about ten block IDs or so, but the blocks use metadata. And the blocks are spread through around ten different config files...and each config contains blocks from each of the different IDs...so you have to keep the new IDs consistent across each config, and God help you if screw up even one number...

I can't find a master number in the config files that can propagate a change through the rest of the configs, so I just changed the mod that was conflicting even though that's a no-no because it can break saves or the mod interactions. For instance, never change Buildraft IDs once they're generated because so many other mods hook into its API.

Anyways, it's incredibly complex and can be very difficult, but the rewards are very satisfying when everything starts working.

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
I've had good and bad luck with ID Resolver. I wouldn't say it's a bad mod, it just doesn't always play well with other mods.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I am trying to get my own DIY-version of this working in MultiMC but I must be doing something wrong. Have all the mods installed.. setup MC 1.5.1 and as soon as I launch it and log in, Minecraft just crashes. The MultiMC console barely gets 10 lines in.

Slaagathor

Jul 29, 2019
I am trying to get my own DIY-version of this working in MultiMC but I must be doing something wrong. Have all the mods installed.. setup MC 1.5.1 and as soon as I launch it and log in, Minecraft just crashes. The MultiMC console barely gets 10 lines in.

Try starting over, and just add one mod at a time. It'll take quite a while, but then you're not trying to figure out which single mod of dozens is causing the issue.