[1.10.2] Age of Engineering

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Has anyone made a list of good UU-matter patterns yet?

There just so happens to be a very detailed spreadsheet which also contains the change logs and an IC2 machine speed/power calculator, it's maintained by redcatone from the discord channel, the curated tab will take you to the list of items most worth your while.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kULBdP-qUidRKaZ25wF-rbCyNdLtlaczhJJ88Zdl5rI/pubhtml#

Also for anyone looking for a walkthrough doc or in need of a suggestion on how to get through an Age then this one from Vyraal1 will help with that
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MxHwK9dF2ZdpVEcz90cfb5F9fvqTvlUJC97e4BETAEA/edit

There, that helped me, I'm glad to pass it on for you too.

I "like" being able to help *wink wink nudge nudge*

oooh, and it updated since I looked at it last, verrah nice, verrah nice indeed.

Levy

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a quick way to swap out armors? Like, back in a 1.7.10 modpack I remember a mod that added an armor stand where you could shift+right click and you swap your armor with what's on the stand. Is there anything like that in this pack? Would like to make it a little easier to swap into and out of the Hazmat suit.

MatunasCraft

Jul 29, 2019
Looking thru that Curated tab of the UU matter sheet, I realized that I don't think I'll ever finish this modpack. I mean, if a Dimension Builder is "cheap" at that much UU matter, then it must be insanely costly, a total pain to craft, or both. :)

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure if this a issue but my dual fuel rods in my IC2 reactor are taking almost a day to deplete. Is this intended in this pack?

MatunasCraft

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone noticed a significant increase in accuracy from Environmental Tech Void Ore Miner lenses? I've been testing with various lenses, and I'm getting ores at about the same rate no matter what lens I use, but I'm simply swapping out the lens. I'm about to completely dismantle and reassemble it to see if that makes a difference.

I'm using a Tier 2 Void Ore miner with 3 Accuracy Modifiers and a colored lens.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I had not read of any changes to how long IC2 fuel rods were meant to last. Typically they last for 10,000 ticks I think, which works out to 2h30 real time.

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure if this a issue but my dual fuel rods in my IC2 reactor are taking almost a day to deplete. Is this intended in this pack?

They are set to the default values so:

Uranium Fuel Rods last 1 reactor cycle (20,000 seconds) == 5.56 real life hours
MOX Fuel Rods last 1/2 a reactor cycle (10,000 seconds) == 2.78 real life hours

MatunasCraft

Jul 29, 2019
More IC2 reactor designs that work, 100% stable, zero heat gained and use a single rod type so easy to automate. First one makes 100 eu/t and requires no extra chambers, the other is full sized and makes 420 eu/t.

While I'm at it, zBob, can you verify the components inside the 420eu reactor design? Can't tell if it's Reactor Plating or Containment Reactor Plating. I think I have the others.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
While I'm at it, zBob, can you verify the components inside the 420eu reactor design? Can't tell if it's Reactor Plating or Containment Reactor Plating. I think I have the others.

meh. Efficiency 3 reactors like this are are so boring. At any rate, the Reactor Plating used is simply a filler and is not crucial to the reactor at all. Its there to ensure there are no open inv slots, allowing you to use EIO or AE2 or even a hopper to pipe in new fuel rods. (Accompanied by a filtered extraction that removes depleted cells this makes for a reactor that can be refilled automatically). If you are manually refueling the reactor you can omit the reactor plating elements entirely.

Reactions: zBob

MatunasCraft

Jul 29, 2019
meh. Efficiency 3 reactors like this are are so boring. At any rate, the Reactor Plating used is simply a filler and is not crucial to the reactor at all. Its there to ensure there are no open inv slots, allowing you to use EIO or AE2 or even a hopper to pipe in new fuel rods. (Accompanied by a filtered extraction that removed depleted cells this makes for a reactor that can be refilled automatically). If you are manually refueling the reactor you can omit the reactor plating elements entirely.

Okay cool, thanks. I tried reading up on reactor designs on the IC2 wiki, and realized there is a reason I'm not a nuclear engineer. :)

I haven't really found a use for all the extra Uranium 238, which I assume is by design. I mean, I use all the Uranium 235 I get making Enriched fuel, and I know I can use Plutonium to make MOX fuel, but looking at how much Plutonium I'm going to need, that seems like a waste. Maybe a mod from a different age uses U238.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Okay cool, thanks. I tried reading up on reactor designs on the IC2 wiki, and realized there is a reason I'm not a nuclear engineer. :)

I haven't really found a use for all the extra Uranium 238, which I assume is by design. I mean, I use all the Uranium 235 I get making Enriched fuel, and I know I can use Plutonium to make MOX fuel, but looking at how much Plutonium I'm going to need, that seems like a waste. Maybe a mod from a different age uses U238.
Don't forget plutonium is also used for RTG pellets, which are used in certain altered crafting recipes.

Reactions: zBob

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

The IC2 pipeline is:
You burn your U235 (and a bit of 238) to produce EU and Plutonium in regular or steam reactors.
You burn your U238 in a MOX reactor to produce EU and more plutonium.
IF/when you run out of U238, the plutonium goes into RTG pellets.

Obviously AoE hooks into this process with more uses for Plutonium, but all your U238 represents potential plutonium via a MOX reactor.

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
They are set to the default values so:

Uranium Fuel Rods last 1 reactor cycle (20,000 seconds) == 5.56 real life hours
MOX Fuel Rods last 1/2 a reactor cycle (10,000 seconds) == 2.78 real life hours

Yep that's the time it should take but for Uranium Fuel Rods it's taking almost 24 hours... Is it maybe because I'm playing on a server?

When I log back in each day and i'm lucky if only one cycle has taken place.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yep that's the time it should take but for Uranium Fuel Rods it's taking almost 24 hours... Is it maybe because I'm playing on a server?

When I log back in each day and i'm lucky if only one cycle has taken place.
The area probably isn't chunkloaded.

Servers need to be particularly careful about this: chances are, when you log off, your reactor ceases to exist until somebody gets close enough and re-loads the chunks.

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
The area probably isn't chunkloaded.

Servers need to be particularly careful about this: chances are, when you log off, your reactor ceases to exist until somebody gets close enough and re-loads the chunks.

That might be it the reactor is chunkloaded, but it might be unloading after X time and only re-loads the chunks when someone is in the area. I'm only use the FTB utilities chunkload function, I will try a different chunkload to see if that changes anything.

MatunasCraft

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone noticed a significant DEcrease in accuracy from Environmental Tech Void Ore Miner lenses? I've been testing with various lenses, and I'm getting ores at about the same rate no matter what lens I use, but I'm simply swapping out the lens. I'm about to completely dismantle and reassemble it to see if that makes a difference.

I'm using a Tier 2 Void Ore miner with 3 Accuracy Modifiers and a colored lens.

Okay, so except for the typo above, I feel that I've solved the problem. It's pretty clear to me that the Void Ore Miner needs to be completely broken down and reassembled for it to notice that the lens has changed colors. I've tested this for days, and the only time it has significantly changed was when I broke all the blocks and reassembled after a lens change. FYI, I guess.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Okay, so except for the typo above, I feel that I've solved the problem. It's pretty clear to me that the Void Ore Miner needs to be completely broken down and reassembled for it to notice that the lens has changed colors. I've tested this for days, and the only time it has significantly changed was when I broke all the blocks and reassembled after a lens change. FYI, I guess.
Good to know actually, I'll bear it in mind.

I've never used the Void Ore Miners before (from that mod); given unlimited power, do you feel they perform fast enough to test your findings in a creative world?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
That might be it the reactor is chunkloaded, but it might be unloading after X time and only re-loads the chunks when someone is in the area. I'm only use the FTB utilities chunkload function, I will try a different chunkload to see if that changes anything.
It likely depends on the chunkloader and server, but yeah it certainly sounds like a chunkloading issue.

I know some chunkloaders function such that they will keep your chunks loaded when the owner of them (you) is online but far away, and will still unload chunks when you log off.

BTW, this is sort of testable: iirc, the IC2 reactor fuel components use "damage" such that a number on the item tooltip will either increase or decrease over time. I also believe you can see what the "total" duration is on that tooltip, so you should be able to calculate how long its going to take for the item to expire.