[1.10.2] Age of Engineering

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
This is why AoE includes Immersive Engineering's multiblock "Blast Furnace" and "Advanced Blast Furnace". Still quite small scale compared to real world steel production; but if I hear one valid criticism of IC2 it is the number of machines it executes in a single block format.

I don't know if steel recipes in other mods are disabled - I think Mechanisim can make steel via the Metallurgic Infuser.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
What, btw, are my options for automating bees to any degree in this pack at about Tech 5 ?

I know of Extra Utils transfer pipes...
Ender IO has Item Conduit...

I've done both of these mods to death.

Mekanism seems to be a future option - once I have stainless steel. Obviously AE2 when I get there (can't bloody wait).

Any other options? (Without Buildcraft the Apiarist's pipes filtering options I guess is just going to be impossible?)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
What, btw, are my options for automating bees to any degree in this pack at about Tech 5 ?

I know of Extra Utils transfer pipes...
Ender IO has Item Conduit...

I've done both of these mods to death.

Mekanism seems to be a future option - once I have stainless steel. Obviously AE2 when I get there (can't bloody wait).

Any other options? (Without Buildcraft the Apiarist's pipes filtering options I guess is just going to be impossible?)
Your objective is just something new?
Might be able to do something with conveyor belts from immersive engineering.

I personally just rock enderio because it gets the job done.

PhilGoodInc

Jul 29, 2019
My tip for tech reborn, enable rf usage. There is something weird about the way it uses EU. An MV tier machine uses more EU than it can accept causing it to be super slow, and the machines are slow not upgradable as is. Then the 64 EU /t machine is just a pain. 2x 32eu/t circuits are still not enough for it. It probably has the same issues of using more EU than it can accept.

I spent a couple of hours trying to make EU work properly but no luck. All my woes went away once I enabled Rf usage. It does feel cheaty, but I had better EU generation from hybrid solars than I did Rf. I was forced to upgrade my Rf gen.

rinickolous

Jul 29, 2019
BUG:

EnderIO wireless chargers don't charge Mekanism items. This is fine. However, they still lose power when they try to charge Mekanism items.

Reactions: ICountFrom0

Iovancar

Jul 29, 2019
I was expecting to optomize my rubber farm, not that I need it anymore, but I was expecting, once I had my cardboard box.

Sadly, nope. For some reason the cardboard box now removes treetap spots when it moves the block. A device known for moving items exactly, strips away the important part of this item.

Oh well. I get stupid amounts out of my farm, and I'm okay with that.

Trying to turn to a positive note... Since I have the ic2 tier 4 stuff, just what IS useful to scan and copy? Surely it costs more then you get from the uranium fuel? The plutonium is a time saver. What else is worth scanning to copy endlessly?
If you want a good rubber farm, you can also work on IC2 crops.
It takes some time to get there, but if you manage to get sticky reeds, you get an easy way to automate rubber production.

triggerfinger12

Apr 17, 2017
Rock
I was expecting to optomize my rubber farm, not that I need it anymore, but I was expecting, once I had my cardboard box.

Sadly, nope. For some reason the cardboard box now removes treetap spots when it moves the block. A device known for moving items exactly, strips away the important part of this item.

Oh well. I get stupid amounts out of my farm, and I'm okay with that.

Trying to turn to a positive note... Since I have the ic2 tier 4 stuff, just what IS useful to scan and copy? Surely it costs more then you get from the uranium fuel? The plutonium is a time saver. What else is worth scanning to copy endlessly?
Iridium is almost NECESSARY to duplicate.

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
Iridium is almost NECESSARY to duplicate.

Iridium is much cheaper in the molecular transformer from advanced solar panels (you do need 4 ingots to build the machine though). But for scanning and replicating I have made countless capacitors, machine chassis, sturdy casings, machine frames, and machine blocks.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Does breeding bees take literally hours of game time?
I can't see any frames to make bees die faster in apiaries, or any machines to speed this process at all.
Buildcraft is not here so the Apiarist's pipe is unavailable.

I have about 12 Apiaries and 12 Bee Houses I am using for mutating bees and stabilizing gene lines.
The Apiaries have pristine princesses and I am cycling different drones to try and get desired mutations and when I find mutations I move them to the Bee Houses - where I have ignoble princesses - and keep on cycling "the best drones" (that preserve the mutation and as many of the best overall characteristics) that I can until I get a purebred strain with the mutation. I'll move a pristine princess to the bee houses if she carries the desired mutation. The Bee Houses prevent unwanted re-mutations destroying my original mutation (and allow me to use the ignoble princesses indefinitely).

This keeps me quite busy and keeps the mutations flowing, but still, between sitting down on Saturday and stopping on sunday - a good 16 hours dedicated to AoE and nothing else, was spent getting me from Meadows and Forest, to a rather well bred Imperial, but my quest to Industrious only got as far as Diligent because it just kept mutating to Noble instead. I also made some hardened and rural bees at the same time. None of the nearby villages i've found have had an Apiarist's house (but they do have Bee Keeper villagers!?) and my maps lack of desert and jungle is making me wonder if I'm just going to need to cheat in Modest? and Tropical Bees. Hopefully those genelines are not required to advance.

Also - I see Forestry for 1.10 supports a greenhouse of some kind? Where is that structure documented?

I have chests and chests of useless drones that I am loath to simply destroy. With Gendustry or something they would be converted into giant vats of liquid DNA but I don't think theres any purpose in AoE to keeping them? Maybe i'll use them as an input to making scrapboxes or something - I dislike voiding things.

---
My longer term plan is to take my pool of ignoble princesses, breed then with industrious or imperial gene lines when I am not using them for something else, and continually cross breed them with any other drones with desirable traits (extra heat tolerance etc) until I have a new / better base industrious gene line that I can cross breed with any other bee I have to try and get that species but with better tolerance/productivity etc.

Last edited:

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
My jungle was over 1k blocks away. Once you get a jetpack up and running you'll find the jungle more easily. You can get the bees from the desert without the desert as it also shows up in mesa and a few others.

I'd say you are doing bees as well as you can, nearly. There's a good reason to start bees early as you can, and you hit that right on the head, they will take literal days.

You missed that enderIO does have a bee filter, but you need to get to a latter age to get to it due to requiring the slice and splice.
You've also missed the escorle. Throw the useless drones into here, stacks of them, and use them as fuel "research" the bees. You'll get combs, drops, and breeding notes that will make the process easier.
You could also check your bee villager, I vaugely remember that there's trades where they want drones and princesses occasionally.

Now, for the greenhouse. You won't find documentation. You will not even see it discussed very often.

But I did find ONE video in english that happens to talk about it and give enough detail to get started with in using one. Though I don't intend to use one myself, instead I've waited until ExU's terraformer was a viable option.

I used the escorle to get enough silky whisps to get my bee suit, while breeding up my regular bees into better and better ones. I've not actually had any jungle bees actually deployed, yet. I'm starting to put together the 200ish each that I need to make myself the alviary. Once I get 3 of those I'll be able to start working on the wintery, nether, and end bee branches. I'll try to use modified alviaries as much as possible, saving the usage of the terraformer to change biome only when I need biome specific bee mutations.

Course, on the other hand, I could have just changed my computer clock. Easter would have given me silk whisps without the stinging of the jungle bees. On the other hand, the winter holidays would give me the required ice without needing to breed down either.

It has been very hard to resist this temptation.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
My jungle was over 1k blocks away. Once you get a jetpack up and running you'll find the jungle more easily. You can get the bees from the desert without the desert as it also shows up in mesa and a few others.

I'd say you are doing bees as well as you can, nearly. There's a good reason to start bees early as you can, and you hit that right on the head, they will take literal days.

You missed that enderIO does have a bee filter, but you need to get to a latter age to get to it due to requiring the slice and splice.
You've also missed the escorle. Throw the useless drones into here, stacks of them, and use them as fuel "research" the bees. You'll get combs, drops, and breeding notes that will make the process easier.
You could also check your bee villager, I vaugely remember that there's trades where they want drones and princesses occasionally.

This thing? https://ftb.gamepedia.com/Escritoire
I remember playing with it in an old modpack. Possibly the @CovertJaguar "DarkTower" lets play that was on 1.5.2 iirc. At that time you purchased hints using honeycomb - which seemed a waste and I just haven't considered looking at it since then. Stupidly apparently.

Anyway, your response has been very helpful. I am (temporarily at least) reinvigorated to revisit my bees.

--
PS. My savegame has become way too big as a consequence of explorations. Is there a mod that can delete map area files that are too far from spawn regularly - they'll regenerate when revisited, but frankly, as nothing is ever built there thats fine with me.
--
Ive watched that video and its still not clear what they hell the greenhouse is supposed to actually do.
I think the guy derped and the "glass" camouflage slot needs a non solid block, and you're probably allowed to use a different block from glass on the corners to make pillars - which is what the purpur would have re-textured. I'm guessing then it would also need a layer of dirt inside it...

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Now, for the greenhouse. You won't find documentation. You will not even see it discussed very often.
i remember watching that video too. It was absolutely terrible. And the only source of information on the multiblock that I could find. Insanity. I'm guessing its not even close to completion or something.

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
It's nice to hear that capacitors, machine chassis, stury casings, machine frames and machine blocks can be replicated. Wouldn't happen to be a list anywhere?

There just so happens to be a very detailed spreadsheet which also contains the change logs and an IC2 machine speed/power calculator, it's maintained by redcatone from the discord channel, the curated tab will take you to the list of items most worth your while.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kULBdP-qUidRKaZ25wF-rbCyNdLtlaczhJJ88Zdl5rI/pubhtml#

Also for anyone looking for a walkthrough doc or in need of a suggestion on how to get through an Age then this one from Vyraal1 will help with that
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MxHwK9dF2ZdpVEcz90cfb5F9fvqTvlUJC97e4BETAEA/edit

Z

Zybs

Yo guys how do you download this modpack?
Can't seem to find it in my twitch app thingie

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Its in there, just make sure you're searching for public modpacks (rather than FTB modpacks). You may need to "Refresh" the list. Also make sure you're not filtering for another Minecraft version (use All or 1.10.2)

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

1. Delete the Twitch / Curse app thingy.
2. Download MultiMC for your platform from https://multimc.org/
3. If the version of MultiMC is still below 0.6, go to Settings > MultiMC > Features and set the update channel to "Development" and restart to update.
4. Download the Modpack's zip file from Curse: https://mods.curse.com/modpacks/minecraft/263897-age-of-engineering
5. With MultiMC running; Drag the zip file from your Downloads folder onto MultiMC.
6. Sip your coffee while MultiMC configures the correct version of Vanilla and Forge and downloads the remaining mods.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Putting GZ's slightly smug response to one side: I was able to find, download and use AoE via the Twitch app - are you browsing using all modpacks or FTB Modpacks - you need to use the former, not the latter.

EDIT: what @Pyure said.

Its in there, just make sure you're searching for public modpacks (rather than FTB modpacks). You may need to "Refresh" the list. Also make sure you're not filtering for another Minecraft version (use All or 1.10.2)

MatunasCraft

Jul 29, 2019
For those of you who set up a Void Ore Miner from Environmental Tech, what lens do you use when you're not actively trying to get something specific? I'm spending a lot of time in Age 6, because of all the new stuff that is introduced around then, and now that I've got "enough" diamonds, I just have it on White Lens because I keep running out Iron.