[1.10.2] Age of Engineering

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
"None of the items that require empowered emerald are actually required though."

Good grief. People actually fish?

triggerfinger12

Apr 17, 2017
Rock
"None of the items that require empowered emerald are actually required though."

Good grief. People actually fish?
You make a good point. If you want to fully automate empowered palis you would HAVE to make the fisher or whatever its called. And, if you don't have cactus that would pose several problems.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand why tools with a purely decorative purpose have to have 'low' durability. All I want to do is make my base look nice and my bloody chisel...

I especially don't understand why they even offer the option to click blocks in the world, because you have to click through so many styles you don't want.

Last edited:

Lady_Oolong

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand why tools with a purely decorative purpose have to have 'low' durability. All I want to do is make my base look nice and my bloody chisel...

I especially don't understand why they even offer the option to click blocks in the world, because you have to click through so many styles you don't want.

Both the Chisel and Chisels and Bits tools can be enchanted with Unbreaking (and in MC version where applicable, Mending). Helps a lot. Cheap once you can make/get Dark Steel for an EIO Enchanter. Repairable on the anvil too.

Lady_Oolong

Jul 29, 2019
I don't have access to my main computer at the moment to check for myself: Does anything stops you from starting to build IC2 reactors before the Nuclear Age? I somehow got it in my head that I could start working on them in Age 5: Deep Resonance generators require plutonium to make though their base component is EIO machine frames.

PhilGoodInc

Jul 29, 2019
From AoE Guide 11 - Space Age "As a side note: there are also 2 moons in our solar system that can fulfill the needs for titanium if you run out of it."

Anyone know which moon it is? Titanium production is really slow. If gone to a few after the 4 main planets that have the new ores but no luck finding rutile/titanium ore.

PhilGoodInc

Jul 29, 2019
Two items that are driving me batty, and I'm hoping I'm wrong about my conclusions:
1) The IE Arc Furnace: I can overlook the inability to auto-replace the electrodes, but is there any way to get piped in items to distribute evenly in the inventory? The biggest strength of the Arc Furnace is its ability to smelt 12 items at once, but piping in seems to fill slot by slot, which makes it a complete waste for automation.
2) Is there a way to speed up TechReborn machines? I've had no luck finding any equivalent to the IC2 Overclocker that the machines will accept, and looking at the recipe for Titanium, the only way to get decent production will be to have a bunch of electrolyzers running in parallel. (which wouldn't be absurd, I suppose, given the nature of the pack)

I used RFTools Control to insert in 6 of the slots. can be expanded into doing all 12, but for what I had been using it for, there was no need, and power production was an issue (at the time i made the program)

From what I understand, you can just copy this code, and paste it into a programmer (with CTRL+V)
Code:
[
  {
    "pos": {
      "x": 6,
      "y": 6
    },
    "opcode": {
      "id": "do_pushitems",
      "primary": "R",
      "parameters": [
        {
          "type": "inventory",
          "value": {
            "null": true
          }
        },
        {
          "type": "integer",
          }
        },
        {
          }
        },
        {
          }
        }
      ]
    }
  },
  {
      "x": 9,
      "y": 0
    },
        {
            "side": "down",
            "intside": "up",
            "node": "L"
          }
        },
        {
            "v": 5
          }
        },
        {
            "v": 1
          }
        },
        {
            "v": 0
          }
        }
      ]
    }
  },
  {
      "x": 8,
    },
        {
          }
        },
        {
            "v": 4
          }
        },
        {
          }
        },
        {
          }
        }
      ]
    }
  },
  {
      "x": 7,
    },
        {
          }
        },
        {
            "v": 3
          }
        },
        {
          }
        },
        {
          }
        }
      ]
    }
  },
  {
      "x": 6,
    },
        {
          }
        },
        {
            "v": 2
          }
        },
        {
          }
        },
        {
          }
        }
      ]
    }
  },
  {
      "x": 5,
    },
        {
          }
        },
        {
          }
        },
        {
          }
        },
        {
          }
        }
      ]
    }
  },
  {
      "x": 4,
    },
        {
          }
        },
        {
          }
        },
        {
          }
        },
        {
          }
        }
      ]
    }
  },
  {
      "x": 3,
    },
      "id": "do_wire",
      "parameters": []
    }
  },
  {
      "x": 2,
    },
      "id": "do_fetchitems",
        {
            "side": "south",
          }
        },
        {
          }
        },
        {
          "type": "item",
          }
        },
        {
          }
        },
        {
          }
        },
        {
          "type": "boolean",
          }
        },
        {
          }
        }
      ]
    }
  },
  {
      "x": 8,
    },
        {
          }
        },
        {
          }
        },
        {
          }
        },
        {
          }
        }
      ]
    }
  },
  {
      "x": 1,
    },
      "id": "ev_timer",
        {
            "v": 2
          }
        },
        {
            "v": false
          }
        }
      ]
    }
  },
  {
      "x": 7,
    },
        {
          }
        },
        {
          }
        },
        {
          }
        },
        {
          }
        }
      ]
    }
  }
]

Basically how it works, is it pulls items from the chest to the south into a temporary inventory, then inserts 6 items, 1 into each slot of number 0-5. If there are less than 6, it still distributes them evenly, if there are more it does the same. The only caveat is that the items need to appear in the chest at the same time. So an ME system recipe for steel of 1 Iron + 1 Coke dust then requesting 6 would not work when coke dust needs to processed. ME system would only supply 1 iron and one dust once it has been grinded, and it would insert into slot 0 since it is a new operation each time. But 6 Iron + 6 Dust = 6 Steel would be fine since the ME system will only insert the items once the 6 dust have been processed.

Im sure there is a way to improve the program, but i've made it work.

Also, here is a screenshot of how the setup looks
742a20adfb.jpg

Reactions: ICountFrom0

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
I tried this modpack but it has one problem: The "progression" is over reliant on people waiting to have the steel made by the IC2 Blast Furnace before they can improve it. When I got to this stage, instead of progressing with it, I gave up and removed this modpack from my Twitch client.

The problem is that the steel production method you initially expect people to use is just too slow and clunky to be progression at all. I don't care AT ALL for steel production that is so slow. If I want steel, I want it in a reasonable timeframe or without having to "improve" it first. What you have is the clunkiest and most inefficient workaround possible.

Should you decide to change up the initial steel making process to something faster and more efficient but still difficult to obtain, please do let me know. I only play singleplayer so being forced to wait for steel production is not a thing I want in a modpack.

I did ask in the discord but nobody gave me any reasons that I would even begin to care about for keeping steel slow and inefficient like it currently is in this modpack. IC2 is just too damned slow in this regard, if they ever speed it up for 1.12, please update the pack and this forum thread as I will check back periodically.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

PhilGoodInc

Jul 29, 2019
I tried this modpack but it has one problem: The "progression" is over reliant on people waiting to have the steel made by the IC2 Blast Furnace before they can improve it. When I got to this stage, instead of progressing with it, I gave up and removed this modpack from my Twitch client.

The problem is that the steel production method you initially expect people to use is just too slow and clunky to be progression at all. I don't care AT ALL for steel production that is so slow. If I want steel, I want it in a reasonable timeframe or without having to "improve" it first. What you have is the clunkiest and most inefficient workaround possible.

Should you decide to change up the initial steel making process to something faster and more efficient but still difficult to obtain, please do let me know. I only play singleplayer so being forced to wait for steel production is not a thing I want in a modpack.

I did ask in the discord but nobody gave me any reasons that I would even begin to care about for keeping steel slow and inefficient like it currently is in this modpack. IC2 is just too damned slow in this regard, if they ever speed it up for 1.12, please update the pack and this forum thread as I will check back periodically.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

The idea is you use IC2's steel recipe until you get enough slag to make an Immersive Engineering Blast Furnace, then quickly upgrade it to the improved blast furnace using some steel plates and making the preheaters that use RF as well as the coal coke for reasonable speed steel production. Also, do something else while waiting for steel. I had to mine so damn much early game, the wait was barely an issue. I would just insert a stack of Iron then go mining for a bit, top it up, repeat. My biggest issue was what to do with all the creosote from the coke oven. Then I discovered the Tinker's Tank.

I agree I do not care for the IC2 steel recipe (could have been skipped really).

Iovancar

Jul 29, 2019
From AoE Guide 11 - Space Age "As a side note: there are also 2 moons in our solar system that can fulfill the needs for titanium if you run out of it."

Anyone know which moon it is? Titanium production is really slow. If gone to a few after the 4 main planets that have the new ores but no luck finding rutile/titanium ore.
I can give you a hint :
The names of the moons are actually relevant. If you do read them all, I'm sure you can understand which two are related to titanium.
I guess the answer is not given in the guide because it's meant to be an enigma.

Anyway, I mined some and I found some bad news. What I got was not titanium, but rutile, which still needs some processing.
I didn't even tried to process it as, at that time, I didn't really need the titatium anymore.

Reactions: PhilGoodInc

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
The idea is you use IC2's steel recipe until you get enough slag to make an Immersive Engineering Blast Furnace, then quickly upgrade it to the improved blast furnace using some steel plates and making the preheaters that use RF as well as the coal coke for reasonable speed steel production. Also, do something else while waiting for steel. I had to mine so damn much early game, the wait was barely an issue. I would just insert a stack of Iron then go mining for a bit, top it up, repeat. My biggest issue was what to do with all the creosote from the coke oven. Then I discovered the Tinker's Tank.

I agree I do not care for the IC2 steel recipe (could have been skipped really).

The other issue with the IC2 steel recipe is that there is no way to tell how much compressed air it needs for one steel ingot to be produced nor is there any information available on the IC2 wiki from what I could find on the site. This, combined with a huge lack of explanation of available methods of automation in this age makes this pack very difficult to consider playing again. I prefer packs that at least have thoroughly explained what you're supposed to do instead of having me try to make wild guesses as to what they intended, whether they make said information available through some questing system or via some guide.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
The other issue with the IC2 steel recipe is that there is no way to tell how much compressed air it needs for one steel ingot to be produced nor is there any information available on the IC2 wiki from what I could find on the site. This, combined with a huge lack of explanation of available methods of automation in this age makes this pack very difficult to consider playing again. I prefer packs that at least have thoroughly explained what you're supposed to do instead of having me try to make wild guesses as to what they intended, whether they make said information available through some questing system or via some guide.

If you want to whine about your inability to manage your time in a pack... best you move to something ... simpler before you encounter bees.

Sure steel takes a while - but you have lots of other things to do including going mining - and there's that handy chunkloader built into the claim system. As to the "steam" - with all the item routing options already available including the IC2 item router, all you need is a single universal fluid cell.

Reactions: An0nymuS

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
If you want to whine about your inability to manage your time in a pack... best you move to something ... simpler before you encounter bees.

Sure steel takes a while - but you have lots of other things to do including going mining - and there's that handy chunkloader built into the claim system. As to the "steam" - with all the item routing options already available including the IC2 item router, all you need is a single universal fluid cell.

You haven't pointed out anything useful to me, so why should I bother replying to your post? I went through FTB Infinity Evolved Skyblock up to the point where you have to get steel to do anything useful in that pack. Even their recipes for the blast furnace aren't so crazy as to require IC2. I've handled difficult modpacks before, but as I stated already, the steel production in IC2 isn't what I want in a modpack. So unless you can offer some useful information on the IC2 steel production process I'm not going to bother responding to further replies from you.

The author of this pack also gated the Tinker's Construct AOE tools behind IC2 which is a big "no" for me, I like AOE tools and you telling me to go mining just makes me want to have them sooner. I can see that there's lots of resource gathering to do, so why am I forced to build IC2 just to get there? Again, it makes no sense at all to me.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

PhilGoodInc

Jul 29, 2019
You haven't pointed out anything useful to me, so why should I bother replying to your post? I went through FTB Infinity Evolved Skyblock up to the point where you have to get steel to do anything useful in that pack. Even their recipes for the blast furnace aren't so crazy as to require IC2. I've handled difficult modpacks before, but as I stated already, the steel production in IC2 isn't what I want in a modpack. So unless you can offer some useful information on the IC2 steel production process I'm not going to bother responding to further replies from you.

The author of this pack also gated the Tinker's Construct AOE tools behind IC2 which is a big "no" for me, I like AOE tools and you telling me to go mining just makes me want to have them sooner. I can see that there's lots of resource gathering to do, so why am I forced to build IC2 just to get there? Again, it makes no sense at all to me.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

You really hate steel don't you? Steel was as simple as 2 Iron + 1 Coal in a Thermal Expansion Induction Smelter. Fast, cheap, nothing to complain about really. You can learn a lot by clicking through recipes in NEI/JEI.

The whole point of packs like Infinity Evolved Skyblock and AoE is to be forced into using different mods, and figuring out new ways to automate them. I had a blast automating the Actually Additions Re-constructor with Mining Lens as that was the only way to automate mining until later on. 1) I didnt even know it was a thing. 2) I would not normally even consider that. By the point something better opened up, I had enough resources to just turn it off. Now i'm using a void ore miner just because I was running low on redstone and diamonds. Complaining about the cross-mod integration in these packs is like complaining about water consumption/hydration on packs like forever stranded. Also, the drill from Actually additions drill has AOE, and you dont need ic2, even though all you need is the compressor which you should have for steel production anyway..

Side note, Installing a mod to circumvent something you dont like in a pack, is the same as just cheating the items you want, which (imo) is the same as complaining to the pack creator to change something you dont like. Just cheat it in or accept the challenge.

PhilGoodInc

Jul 29, 2019
I can give you a hint :
The names of the moons are actually relevant. If you do read them all, I'm sure you can understand which two are related to titanium.
I guess the answer is not given in the guide because it's meant to be an enigma.

Anyway, I mined some and I found some bad news. What I got was not titanium, but rutile, which still needs some processing.
I didn't even tried to process it as, at that time, I didn't really need the titatium anymore.

You were right... how did I not see something so obvious... :'( I wasted so much time. Looks like all it needs is the IE Arc Furnace, or some Tech Reborn processing ( yay /s )

Has anyone noticed that TechReborn EU integration is really bad? One of the machines needs 64 EU/t (doesnt exist) and even the machines that are MV Tier (128EU/t) struggle to work properly.

SilverDk

Jul 29, 2019

If you go through Direwolf20 video below, you might find a simple way to automate the steel production in IC2. Quite simple setup actually.

I just don't like the way IC2 machine blows up when it's the wrong tier.

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
You really hate steel don't you? Steel was as simple as 2 Iron + 1 Coal in a Thermal Expansion Induction Smelter. Fast, cheap, nothing to complain about really. You can learn a lot by clicking through recipes in NEI/JEI.

The whole point of packs like Infinity Evolved Skyblock and AoE is to be forced into using different mods, and figuring out new ways to automate them. I had a blast automating the Actually Additions Re-constructor with Mining Lens as that was the only way to automate mining until later on. 1) I didnt even know it was a thing. 2) I would not normally even consider that. By the point something better opened up, I had enough resources to just turn it off. Now i'm using a void ore miner just because I was running low on redstone and diamonds. Complaining about the cross-mod integration in these packs is like complaining about water consumption/hydration on packs like forever stranded. Also, the drill from Actually additions drill has AOE, and you dont need ic2, even though all you need is the compressor which you should have for steel production anyway..

Side note, Installing a mod to circumvent something you dont like in a pack, is the same as just cheating the items you want, which (imo) is the same as complaining to the pack creator to change something you dont like. Just cheat it in or accept the challenge.

I don't hate steel, I hate the fact that it is so slow for the time taken to get it. I'm done bothering with this thread any more, here's a nice link to a history of steel making in real life for you all:

http://www.steel.org/making-steel/how-its-made/processes/how-a-blast-furnace-works.aspx

They can process thousands of tons of raw materials into steel on a continuous or nearly continuous basis, the one quoted in the article is gas-fired and can generate whatever electricity it needs from it's own processes from the hot gases coming out of the steel making process. I've yet to see any mod that can come close to that kind of large-scale operation and these are designed to run for years without stopping except briefly for maintenance now and then.

There does seem to be a lot of useless products modded Minecraft installations in general generate in the world and few mods, if any, utilize them for a steel-making process that would be similar to how we make steel in real life.

I think this modpack has a long way to go before I'll come back to it, if ever. May those who play it find it lives up to their expectations.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

PhilGoodInc

Jul 29, 2019
I don't hate steel, I hate the fact that it is so slow for the time taken to get it.

How impatient are you? It was only a couple of seconds which could be sped up to 0.5 - 1 second per operation in infinity. What do you want? 1 ingot per tick? The challenge with steel In this pack is time management.