[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

tooncool64

Jul 29, 2019
Right now, I am using a strange combination of FTB light and direwolf20 with HQM. I'm using more classical mods like buildcraft and forestry and some magic mods with minetweaker. Any suggestions for mods to add would be great. When I get on a computer, I'll share a list of mods I'm using.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Things like this aren't obvious at first glance, and may actually take quite a bit of time to discover. I'm not sure if it was directly related, but when I went to remove the 3D furnaces mod from my world last night, the world corrupted and crashed. In the error log, it immediately showed the removal of the four 3D furnaces I had in the world, then *boom*. Every time I try to reload the world, same thing.
That's very helpful, I didn't realize the removal of the mod would cause corruption or problems with AE2. I'll be a bit more cautious before recommending it again.

Something you may not have considered looking into, or maybe you have and put it out for a future episode; Botania has a lot of early-game accessible items you can build with just a little setup. The Sojourner's Sash, Horn of the Wild, and Magnetizing Ring are three items I showed my daughter how to build last night and she's zipping around quite pleased with herself today.

At this point I've been waffling on whether to make yet another outlier for Botania or focus on what I already have and get to the next stage. Botania is one of those mods I've wanted to try out, and right now I'm looking at building a nice garden for it or a green house.

And with that being said here's the latest that @Senseidragon has already seen. Enjoy!

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
So about that idea I wrote a few pages back, I've played around a bit in a test world and have come up with a basic text file layout for keeping track of my food and such

https://drive.google.com/folderview...FUUDBJWlNaX2tJSkxNU05jaDNpbkF4RkE&usp=sharing

I've divided the Files first by settlements, then by Class and then by each individual resident. Each resident has a basic file for themselves, a folder for their pets and a folder for their property. I've formatted the files in JSON type format as I like how it looks. Though it could really be anything, it's only a series of notes after all.

In the 1SDAN file (My player file), there are currently 6 Player Stats:
  • Happiness: A basic stat that represents a refugee's, um... happiness. High Happiness can result in increased efficiency while working and other such buffs, while low Happiness (ie below a Era-based threshold) will cause abnormal diets, decreased work efficiency, increases in violence and could even cause a Resident to relocate. It is imperative for you to keep your Residents happy.

• Productivity: A basic stat that measures the production output of a Resident. Production is used for crafting, smelting, farming and basically every job or activity a Resident may engage in. Productivity may only be stored in certain processes one is working towards. For example, a Resident may be in the process of crafting a macerator, but doesn't output the necessary daily production, so said Resident may take multiple days working on the macerator. However, if he switches to working on a different device, the production will not carry over and instead stay allocated to the unfinished macerator. Some jobs require a minimum production per day to stay on top of one's profession, and some production bonuses may only be applicable for specific jobs

• Nourishment: A basic stat that represents how well fed a Resident is. Normally, Residents require 4 food points of food daily to stay fed (8 If not playing with Hunger Overhaul), while pets require 2 (4 without HO). For every 5 Production a Resident outputs, 2 extra food points (4 w/o HO) are required to feed that person. Staying well-nourished for long periods of time can increase every stat in at least some way; except for wealth 'cuz food don't make ya rich. Once a player reaches at least 20 Nourishment, they may expend all of it to have a child with another well-nourished resident of the opposite gender. The resulting baby has a 50/50 chance of being a boy or a girl.

• Health: It's how healthy a Resident is. Low Health can lead to catching diseased easier and having an entire community that's low in Health may even start a plague. High health leads to longer lives and healthier children, among many other things.

• Wealth: Measures how much money one has to spend. Increases Happiness and can be used to both buy services and warrant tax raises.

• Intelligence: Smarter communities are better at working machines without error that communities that are less... gifted.

And yes, I named my pet Doggy

Last edited:
Reactions: Senseidragon

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Hmm. Lots of good ideas in there. I wish the whole system wasn't so touchy about *any* mod tweaking Minecraft villagers. It seems any that do invariably result in some incompatibility with another mod. The exception being CustomNPCs, which appear to be their own mob type.

I really like the first half of your post (up to Wealth/Intelligence) -- the latter two are good stats to track, I'm just less inspired by what to do with them at the moment. The first four have lots of potential.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. Lots of good ideas in there. I wish the whole system wasn't so touchy about *any* mod tweaking Minecraft villagers. It seems any that do invariably result in some incompatibility with another mod. The exception being CustomNPCs, which appear to be their own mob type.

I really like the first half of your post (up to Wealth/Intelligence) -- the latter two are good stats to track, I'm just less inspired by what to do with them at the moment. The first four have lots of potential.

Wealth is mostly with the idea of starting a sort of economy later and social classes divided by wealth and such. Intelligence can maybe some sort of progression thing with research or whatever and is really just something I wanted to make things like Research Fragments, Compasses or other such tech items that you get in chests actually useful. To be completely honest, Wealth and Intel aren't something I got to working on yet

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Right now, I am using a strange combination of FTB light and direwolf20 with HQM. I'm using more classical mods like buildcraft and forestry and some magic mods with minetweaker. Any suggestions for mods to add would be great. When I get on a computer, I'll share a list of mods I'm using.

You can't include it in a pack, but for the love of Notch and Mojang, link your users to Fastcraft!

And a shameless plug for Refugee to Regent Utilities by @Senseidragon

The spoiler contains a really long list I arrived at mostly be reading my own mod list and seeing what mods I could remember or I thought were reasonably well-matched to R2R

A lot of the "hard" mods from packs like Agrarian Skies can be tuned down to not-deadly levels and still provide incentives for you to actually give more than a cowfarm a chance. AppleCore is the coremod for Hunger Overhaul and Spice of Life, and even if you're not using them, the features it provides are amazingly informative. The Hunger/saturation HUD overlay? AMAZING.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...core-an-api-for-modifying-the-food-and-hunger
It also has links to HungerOverhaul and SpiceOfLife
Hunger Overhaul can be used to make things EASIER if you'd like, and fixes a few silly bug/issue/oversights in vanilla. You can also disable basically anything in the mod if you don't like it (The starve-just-standing-there is one I usually disable. I don't like dying because I had to go AFK and forgot to log off).

Some form of backpack mod is pretty standard. So are biome mods like EBXL and BoP. NEI is always a good idea, as is WAILA.

Applied Energistics is pretty traditional anymore. So is JABBA.

It's hard to beat Bibliocraft for functionality and aesthetics.

I will recommend Botania to everyone for everything, even tech packs. It's solved so many niggling problems with all kinds of things spread through Minecraft that I haven't seen a reasonable solution for.

Buildcraft you're already including. Forestry I don't usually recommend, but if you're including it, get Binnies Mods, Magic Bees, and try to include Gendustry (even if you nerf/break its bee manipulation machines. The ability to add bees via json is really nice especially if you can get someone that's a bee nut to help you with cross-mod bee products that aren't covered. Like say Project E.)

ChickenChunks is one of the most stable chunkloading mods out there (surprisingly. I normally would say Immibis' dimensional anchors but basically every frame mod breaks them; except CB's)

Chisel is another lightweight mod that adds a LOT of aesthetic options.

One of the NPC mods (Ancient Warfare, CustomNPC's, Millénaire, Minecraft Comes Alive, etc) seems almost required for a challenge like this, just for verisimilitude.

I'm a personal fan of Ender Compass and Nether Eye (Because finding Nether strongholds is a royal PITA, and wasting Eyes of Ender on finding strongholds sucks)

EnderIO is a good "core" tech mod. If you don't have another mod (besides BC) that adds energy, fluid, and item pipes? Use EnderIO. Buildcraft's pipes really don't cut it as your "workhorse" pipes anymore. I get the whole aesthetic thing, but basically every other mod does item transport in a more usable and easily understood manner.

One of those mods that adds alternative piping is Extra Utilities. It also has a lot of fancier looking decorative blocks, one of the only non-bee, non-magical_crops ways of getting enderpearls without spawners or an Ender Ender (Drop-trap), and an AMAZING multitude of ways with which to generate power.

EnderStorage was added (in reduced form) to Vanilla for a reason.

Speaking of those resource growing mods (Sorry, any pack with bees doesn't get to call things like Magical Crops cheaty), I'm rather partial to Fluxed Crystals and Pam's Mob Drop Crops. Though there is also Magical Crops, as well as Attained Drops.

Funky Locomotion, Framez, Remain In Motion, and Truss mod are all nice frame mods (there are a couple of late-game suggestions that would require frames to implement... or possibly Archimedes Ships... though that's reasonably incompatible with moving your whole base as compared to frames)

IndustrialCraft has fallen out of favor, though I'm thinking of including it in my pack for old time's sake, even with the changes. It was my first mod, so I'm a bit of a softy for it.

InventoryTweaks (if you have the ability to make optional mods) should be an optional inclusion. Some people can't play without it, others can't stand it.

JABBA.

I'd suggest Logistics Pipes, you can't get into it until... Gold City (maybe a bit later depending on if Maul ever fleshes out the later stages of the challenge), but it's seriously awesome, more people need to be exposed to it. I actually prefer Logistics Pipes to Applied Energistics for everything except item storage.

Mekanism is another pretty good tech mod.

MrCrayfish's Furniture Mod fits well into the aesthetic category (and now that I think about it there was an agriculture/cooking mod that added a lot of kitchen appliances that actually worked. I think it was the one by the metallurgy team)

Try to include a portal mod. PortalGun used to fit here (but for some reason iChun is postponing both the "gun" mods to 1.8), Mystcraft, Enhanced Portals 3, RFTools, IndustrialCraft, EnderIO. There are options all over the place, but with the size and distances we're talking about in a R2R challenge? Some form of extremely rapid transport is nearly required.

Natura is nice for the early game. Just check out how much @The Mobius Archives used it in his playthrough. Plus, cotton is amazingly useful. String is one of those resources that can be a bit of a pain to get unless you find a spider spawner. Also the redwoods? Epic for building treehouses! They can also be a good (or bad depending how you look at it) thing if you want to mix in the Tree Spirit Challenge.

Obsidiplates is in most of my packs, and there are a surprising number of ways to get obsidian well before you could normally mine it. Carpenter's Blocks also has a player-only pressure plate.

OpenBlocks is another mod that's in a lot of packs because of all the generally useful things in it. (It being one of the only three mods that deals with liquid XP and all)

ProgressiveAutomation is a mod you may want to look into. It provides a lot of mid/early game automation farms in an amazingly balanced way... can't recall if they all require redstone or not though.

ProjectRed is nice for the logic gates (MFR, ComputerCraft, and EnderIO can duplicate a lot of that functionality) and the marble/basalt... which you can get from Artifice as well.

Railcraft is amazing for transportation while you're locked out of the higher tier tech/magic mods in Redstone/Gold stages. Plus... Railroads are cool!

I'm liking RandomThings more and more as I play with it. For a lot of the same reasons I like Botania, EnderIO, Extra Utilities, and OpenBlocks. The "random compilation mods" are great for solving all kinds of nagging problems in places most people wouldn't have thought of. Plus the Bloodmoon, Fast Leaf Decay, and Hardcore Darkness. I personally turn off Hardcore Darkness, but at the very least? Install the leaf decay mod he made. Not having to stand around for 5 minutes waiting for leaves? AWESOME

SuperCraftingFrame Is so nice for those things you know you're going to be crafting a billion and a half of.

It's hard to beat Tinker's Construct for removing a large amount of ingame tedium regarding re-crafting tools. The smeltery is also an amazing ore-doubler before you get "proper tech" (or magic). It's one of my preferred ways to get obsidian before I get "infinite" lava (then it becomes the TE Igneous Extruder). Plus it's one of the best ore multipliers unless you've got Mekanism, Factorization, RotaryCraft, or um... I know there's another 2.5+ ore multiplier out there. I actually prefer it to Factorization's method. I speak of Fortune + Auto-smelt.

TE is in most mod packs because TE is honestly one of those mods that adds a lot of very "core" machines and features a lot of people got VERY used to having. Its fluids are fun, florbs are awesome, not many mods have a proper deployer replacement let alone a block breaker, it's got a reasonably intuitive autocrafter that is earlier game than most of the other options (at least for R2R. Though Progressive Automation, EnderIO, and AutoCrafter2000 are competitive... no idea about the crafty crate from Botania, and I'm pretty sure the transfer node with world interaction upgrades only really requires access to Lapis and Redstone). But it also is the "easy" solution... so a lot of people leave it out.

Translocators are often forgotten, but they're very nice for compact builds and that in-world crafting table on any solid block? Saved my bacon in the field and on top of mega-structures so many times!

The Vegan Option is neat, but I'm one of those players that rages at the random nature of world generation and mob spawning, so having a reasonably reliable option to getting stuff like that is something I can get behind.

WAWLA is nice if you're a heavy WAILA user, it's also one I don't see in many packs for some reason.

On the magical front? Botania (Yes I know I said that already. It's one of my favorite mods ever), Blood Magic is one of my fav's as well (though the subject matter can be a bit... squick-inducing), and if you're doing Thaumcraft? Thaumcraft Node Tracker and Thaumcraft NEI Plugin are totally must-haves. Yes I realize there's minimap mods but NodeTracker is automatic and doesn't clutter the crap out of your minimap waypoints, and yes all the recipes are in the Thaumonomicon... I still notice how much time and frustration I save with proper NEI integration; that book is a pain to navigate sometimes! And at this point I'm definitely forgetting some awesome mods... but this list is huge so... blah

Sorry that took so long!

ZephyrWindSpirit

Jul 29, 2019
Another later game that could serve for tech and transportation is Draconic Evolution. Its still wip, and would be gold city/diamond capital, but the capabilities it has... take late game to a pretty cool level. Watch the Tolkiencraft 2 stuff on Youtube.

Reactions: Senseidragon

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
The Draconic Evolution Energy Core renders looks very nice, but what on earth am I going to do with 2.14 Trillion RF??? :)

Other than that, it looks like a reskinned (albeit nicely) version of any number of other mods that add AoE to tools, armor with speed/jump/vision boosts, mob grinders and mob spawners. I'll still definitely take a look at it and give it a fair shake, but I am really hesitant to add a mod that just looks like it's going to give me "bigger numbers" than the other guy's mod.

Thank you for pointing it out though, I doubt I would have stumbled across it myself. I watched the @GreatOrator video tutorial on the Energy Core, and it certainly looks nice.

Reactions: GreatOrator

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
The Draconic Evolution Energy Core renders looks very nice, but what on earth am I going to do with 2.14 Trillion RF??? :)

Other than that, it looks like a reskinned (albeit nicely) version of any number of other mods that add AoE to tools, armor with speed/jump/vision boosts, mob grinders and mob spawners. I'll still definitely take a look at it and give it a fair shake, but I am really hesitant to add a mod that just looks like it's going to give me "bigger numbers" than the other guy's mod.

Thank you for pointing it out though, I doubt I would have stumbled across it myself. I watched the @GreatOrator video tutorial on the Energy Core, and it certainly looks nice.
To be honest a lot of the blocks/machines are in this mod because initially it was made for my modpack to replace stuff missing so I did not have to add mods for a single block. It ended up expanding beyond that and was released publicly. It is meant as an alternative to many mods and it has many blocks for mapmakers as well. @Brandon3055 has plans to add much, much more to it as well!

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
ChickenChunks is one of the most stable chunkloading mods out there (surprisingly. I normally would say Immibis' dimensional anchors but basically every frame mod breaks them; except CB's)

*Quickly runs a test with Funky Locomotion and Dimensional Anchors*

"@!#%&!@^!!!"

*uninstalls Dimensional Anchors, installs Chicken Chunks*

I uninstalled this for a bit, thinking there was an obscure compatibility issue with it and something else, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. Reinstalling till I figure it out.

*grumbles*

While I like Mekanism, I HATEHATEHATEHATEHATE the fact that the vast majority of mobs I ever see after installing Mekanism Tools ends up wearing some sort of godawful armor and runs around blasting me out of my loincloth before I've barely begun my world.

If I could find a config option to "tone down" the frequency with which mobs got Mekanism goodies, I'd be much happier. As it is, if I install Mekanism I have to leave out Tools to keep the mobs from going insane.

Railcraft is amazing for transportation while you're locked out of the higher tier tech/magic mods in Redstone/Gold stages. Plus... Railroads are cool!

I like me some Railcraft. I dislike "Residual Heat". I think I get the point of why it's there, but it bugs the daylights out of me.

I try to save a schematic I build using Schematica, everything looks good. I try to reload the schematic and rebuild it and get missing blocks everywhere. What are they? "Residual Heat" from when I was walking around inside the structure before I saved it.

*grr* I config that into oblivion every single time.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I know right? I currently have both CC and DimAnc installed because dimensional is quite a bit cheaper, and I'm of the opinion that chunkloading should be built into all machines, so I prefer cheap versions (and if I ever actually record a R2R playthrough? I'm cheating them in. Screw naysayers, I don't like chunk unloading.) but I might be removing it because redundancy and NEI keybind conflict (F9 is annoying with NEI also installed)

I personally can't play without Jabba. Barrels are just so useful for storage when you don't have AE... and even after you have AE in some cases.

I too disable Mekanism tools. I'm sad that so few mods have paxel-type multitools... but that armor is FU--- erm... really bad looking *grin*. It also doesn't interface with a lot of mods properly, and has a completely different balance than "standard"... like Bronze. The rest of the mod is pretty much awesome in a can though.

Ah, Railcraft. Those damned Trackman's Goggles... I mean they're awesome when you're using them, but oh gods the incompatibility issues. The additions to transport for a challenge like R2R though? Make it almost indispensable. Would you want to set up a vanilla rail line for transporting things when you could be using Railcraft instead? Also the boilers. Such a nice method of generating power once you get to that point.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Accidentally deleted my progress folder. So here's the new link:
https://drive.google.com/folderview...NfTGdGaVdzZk9aQ1VZWnFTOTR4SUpiZkk&usp=sharing

As you can see, I got a new Refugee. It was quite an arduous ordeal. First I had to make a Department of Records, which is a building of at least 3x3 and has at least 6 double lockers. (If you don't have BetterStorage, 6 double chests will do fine) The building must contain all records of my citizens, excluding myself. I'm using the Enchiridion mod's Book Binder to keep better track of my Residents. Before they can arrive, three Books must be written: One for their Passport, one for their State at Arrival and one for their Assignments.

The Passport document includes the Refugee's Name, Age (Randomly chosen between 14 and 42), Sex (Gender, chosen at random), the day they arrived, Family, Pets and the way they arrived (Get creative with this one, Gerald may have been found collapsed in the desert, but you can also have as crazy an origin story you want)

The State at Arrival document includes the Refugee's Name, Master Proficiency (Chosen at Random), two Minor Proficiencies (Chosen at Random), Base Happiness (Chosen at Random between -10 and 10), Base Nourishment (Chosen at Random between -10 and 10) and Base Intelligence (Chosen at Random between -5 and 5)

The Assignments document includes the Refugee's Name, Appointed House, Appointed Job, Appointed Job Specifics (Specific Crops to Grow and such) and the Date the document was Signed

Now to answer the question of Proficiencies, each Resident has 1 thing they are exceptionally good at and 2 things they are very good at. These are their Proficiencies. When a Resident arrives at your Nation, these three Proficiencies are chosen at random using a generator for a number between 1 and 25. While Minor Proficiencies can be changed through studying, a Resident's Major Proficiency may not be changed. Truth be told, I haven't figured out all of the bonuses for Proficiencies as of yet, but here's the basics:
  • Minor Proficiency at Current Job: +10% Production
  • Major Proficiency at Current Job: +25% Production
  • Major Proficiency at Current Job: +5 Happiness
  • No Proficiency at Current Job: -3 Happiness
NOTE: You can have multiple of the same Proficiency, in that case, the effects stack. This means you can have a maximum of a 45% Bonus to production from Proficiency.

Proficiency List:
01: Farmer
02: Rancher
03: Bee Keeper
04: Orchard Master
05: Stable Master
06: Kennel Master
07: Fisherman
08: Plantationeer
09: Leader
10: Crafter
11: Smelter
12: Smith
13: Warrior
14: Miner
15: Explorer
16: Mage
17: Philosopher
18: Scientist
19: Artist
20: Writer
21: Musician
22: Businessman
23: Criminal
24: Technician
25: Book Keeper

Once I had his papers squared away, I had to build him a house and spend 20 food to pay for arrival expenses (40 food if playing Vanilla)

And finally, Gerald had arrived.

tooncool64

Jul 29, 2019
You can't include it in a pack, but for the love of Notch and Mojang, link your users to Fastcraft!

And a shameless plug for Refugee to Regent Utilities by @Senseidragon

The spoiler contains a really long list I arrived at mostly be reading my own mod list and seeing what mods I could remember or I thought were reasonably well-matched to R2R

A lot of the "hard" mods from packs like Agrarian Skies can be tuned down to not-deadly levels and still provide incentives for you to actually give more than a cowfarm a chance. AppleCore is the coremod for Hunger Overhaul and Spice of Life, and even if you're not using them, the features it provides are amazingly informative. The Hunger/saturation HUD overlay? AMAZING.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...core-an-api-for-modifying-the-food-and-hunger
It also has links to HungerOverhaul and SpiceOfLife
Hunger Overhaul can be used to make things EASIER if you'd like, and fixes a few silly bug/issue/oversights in vanilla. You can also disable basically anything in the mod if you don't like it (The starve-just-standing-there is one I usually disable. I don't like dying because I had to go AFK and forgot to log off).

Some form of backpack mod is pretty standard. So are biome mods like EBXL and BoP. NEI is always a good idea, as is WAILA.

Applied Energistics is pretty traditional anymore. So is JABBA.

It's hard to beat Bibliocraft for functionality and aesthetics.

I will recommend Botania to everyone for everything, even tech packs. It's solved so many niggling problems with all kinds of things spread through Minecraft that I haven't seen a reasonable solution for.

Buildcraft you're already including. Forestry I don't usually recommend, but if you're including it, get Binnies Mods, Magic Bees, and try to include Gendustry (even if you nerf/break its bee manipulation machines. The ability to add bees via json is really nice especially if you can get someone that's a bee nut to help you with cross-mod bee products that aren't covered. Like say Project E.)

Chisel is another lightweight mod that adds a LOT of aesthetic options.

One of the NPC mods (Ancient Warfare, CustomNPC's, Millénaire, Minecraft Comes Alive, etc) seems almost required for a challenge like this, just for verisimilitude.

I'm a personal fan of Ender Compass and Nether Eye (Because finding Nether strongholds is a royal PITA, and wasting Eyes of Ender on finding strongholds sucks)

EnderIO is a good "core" tech mod. If you don't have another mod (besides BC) that adds energy, fluid, and item pipes? Use EnderIO. Buildcraft's pipes really don't cut it as your "workhorse" pipes anymore. I get the whole aesthetic thing, but basically every other mod does item transport in a more usable and easily understood manner.

One of those mods that adds alternative piping is Extra Utilities. It also has a lot of fancier looking decorative blocks, one of the only non-bee, non-magical_crops ways of getting enderpearls without spawners or an Ender Ender (Drop-trap), and an AMAZING multitude of ways with which to generate power.

EnderStorage was added (in reduced form) to Vanilla for a reason.

Speaking of those resource growing mods (Sorry, any pack with bees doesn't get to call things like Magical Crops cheaty), I'm rather partial to Fluxed Crystals and Pam's Mob Drop Crops. Though there is also Magical Crops, as well as Attained Drops.

Funky Locomotion, Framez, Remain In Motion, and Truss mod are all nice frame mods (there are a couple of late-game suggestions that would require frames to implement... or possibly Archimedes Ships... though that's reasonably incompatible with moving your whole base as compared to frames)

IndustrialCraft has fallen out of favor, though I'm thinking of including it in my pack for old time's sake, even with the changes. It was my first mod, so I'm a bit of a softy for it.

InventoryTweaks (if you have the ability to make optional mods) should be an optional inclusion. Some people can't play without it, others can't stand it.

JABBA.

I'd suggest Logistics Pipes, you can't get into it until... Gold City (maybe a bit later depending on if Maul ever fleshes out the later stages of the challenge), but it's seriously awesome, more people need to be exposed to it. I actually prefer Logistics Pipes to Applied Energistics for everything except item storage.

MrCrayfish's Furniture Mod fits well into the aesthetic category (and now that I think about it there was an agriculture/cooking mod that added a lot of kitchen appliances that actually worked. I think it was the one by the metallurgy team)

Try to include a portal mod. PortalGun used to fit here (but for some reason iChun is postponing both the "gun" mods to 1.8), Mystcraft, Enhanced Portals 3, RFTools, IndustrialCraft, EnderIO. There are options all over the place, but with the size and distances we're talking about in a R2R challenge? Some form of extremely rapid transport is nearly required.

Natura is nice for the early game. Just check out how much @The Mobius Archives used it in his playthrough. Plus, cotton is amazingly useful. String is one of those resources that can be a bit of a pain to get unless you find a spider spawner. Also the redwoods? Epic for building treehouses! They can also be a good (or bad depending how you look at it) thing if you want to mix in the Tree Spirit Challenge.

Obsidiplates is in most of my packs, and there are a surprising number of ways to get obsidian well before you could normally mine it. Carpenter's Blocks also has a player-only pressure plate.

OpenBlocks is another mod that's in a lot of packs because of all the generally useful things in it. (It being one of the only three mods that deals with liquid XP and all)

ProgressiveAutomation is a mod you may want to look into. It provides a lot of mid/early game automation farms in an amazingly balanced way... can't recall if they all require redstone or not though.

ProjectRed is nice for the logic gates (MFR, ComputerCraft, and EnderIO can duplicate a lot of that functionality) and the marble/basalt... which you can get from Artifice as well.

I'm liking RandomThings more and more as I play with it. For a lot of the same reasons I like Botania, EnderIO, Extra Utilities, and OpenBlocks. The "random compilation mods" are great for solving all kinds of nagging problems in places most people wouldn't have thought of. Plus the Bloodmoon, Fast Leaf Decay, and Hardcore Darkness. I personally turn off Hardcore Darkness, but at the very least? Install the leaf decay mod he made. Not having to stand around for 5 minutes waiting for leaves? AWESOME

SuperCraftingFrame Is so nice for those things you know you're going to be crafting a billion and a half of.

It's hard to beat Tinker's Construct for removing a large amount of ingame tedium regarding re-crafting tools. The smeltery is also an amazing ore-doubler before you get "proper tech" (or magic). It's one of my preferred ways to get obsidian before I get "infinite" lava (then it becomes the TE Igneous Extruder). Plus it's one of the best ore multipliers unless you've got Mekanism, Factorization, RotaryCraft, or um... I know there's another 2.5+ ore multiplier out there. I actually prefer it to Factorization's method. I speak of Fortune + Auto-smelt.

TE is in most mod packs because TE is honestly one of those mods that adds a lot of very "core" machines and features a lot of people got VERY used to having. Its fluids are fun, florbs are awesome, not many mods have a proper deployer replacement let alone a block breaker, it's got a reasonably intuitive autocrafter that is earlier game than most of the other options (at least for R2R. Though Progressive Automation, EnderIO, and AutoCrafter2000 are competitive... no idea about the crafty crate from Botania, and I'm pretty sure the transfer node with world interaction upgrades only really requires access to Lapis and Redstone). But it also is the "easy" solution... so a lot of people leave it out.

Translocators are often forgotten, but they're very nice for compact builds and that in-world crafting table on any solid block? Saved my bacon in the field and on top of mega-structures so many times!

The Vegan Option is neat, but I'm one of those players that rages at the random nature of world generation and mob spawning, so having a reasonably reliable option to getting stuff like that is something I can get behind.

WAWLA is nice if you're a heavy WAILA user, it's also one I don't see in many packs for some reason.

On the magical front? Botania (Yes I know I said that already. It's one of my favorite mods ever), Blood Magic is one of my fav's as well (though the subject matter can be a bit... squick-inducing), and if you're doing Thaumcraft? Thaumcraft Node Tracker and Thaumcraft NEI Plugin are totally must-haves. Yes I realize there's minimap mods but NodeTracker is automatic and doesn't clutter the crap out of your minimap waypoints, and yes all the recipes are in the Thaumonomicon... I still notice how much time and frustration I save with proper NEI integration; that book is a pain to navigate sometimes! And at this point I'm definitely forgetting some awesome mods... but this list is huge so... blah

Sorry that took so long!

Another later game that could serve for tech and transportation is Draconic Evolution. Its still wip, and would be gold city/diamond capital, but the capabilities it has... take late game to a pretty cool level. Watch the Tolkiencraft 2 stuff on Youtube.

*Quickly runs a test with Funky Locomotion and Dimensional Anchors*

"@!#%&!@^!!!"

*uninstalls Dimensional Anchors, installs Chicken Chunks*

I uninstalled this for a bit, thinking there was an obscure compatibility issue with it and something else, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. Reinstalling till I figure it out.

*grumbles*

While I like Mekanism, I HATEHATEHATEHATEHATE the fact that the vast majority of mobs I ever see after installing Mekanism Tools ends up wearing some sort of godawful armor and runs around blasting me out of my loincloth before I've barely begun my world.

If I could find a config option to "tone down" the frequency with which mobs got Mekanism goodies, I'd be much happier. As it is, if I install Mekanism I have to leave out Tools to keep the mobs from going insane.

I like me some Railcraft. I dislike "Residual Heat". I think I get the point of why it's there, but it bugs the daylights out of me.

I try to save a schematic I build using Schematica, everything looks good. I try to reload the schematic and rebuild it and get missing blocks everywhere. What are they? "Residual Heat" from when I was walking around inside the structure before I saved it.

*grr* I config that into oblivion every single time.

Yeah, I know right? I currently have both CC and DimAnc installed because dimensional is quite a bit cheaper, and I'm of the opinion that chunkloading should be built into all machines, so I prefer cheap versions (and if I ever actually record a R2R playthrough? I'm cheating them in. Screw naysayers, I don't like chunk unloading.) but I might be removing it because redundancy and NEI keybind conflict (F9 is annoying with NEI also installed)

I personally can't play without Jabba. Barrels are just so useful for storage when you don't have AE... and even after you have AE in some cases.

I too disable Mekanism tools. I'm sad that so few mods have paxel-type multitools... but that armor is FU--- erm... really bad looking *grin*. It also doesn't interface with a lot of mods properly, and has a completely different balance than "standard"... like Bronze. The rest of the mod is pretty much awesome in a can though.

Ah, Railcraft. Those damned Trackman's Goggles... I mean they're awesome when you're using them, but oh gods the incompatibility issues. The additions to transport for a challenge like R2R though? Make it almost indispensable. Would you want to set up a vanilla rail line for transporting things when you could be using Railcraft instead? Also the boilers. Such a nice method of generating power once you get to that point.

Whoa! Thanks guys! This is just what I need!
Ok so my reply:
1. I will be adding hunger overhaul, but I don't like spice of life at all. Sorry, but I just blah.
2. Got waila, got bagginses as my backpack mod. Derp I got NEI. For some reason, I don't like BoP. But I might add it anyway, seeing a lot of people like it.
3. Applied energetics I don't have. I just dislike it now because it seems everyone has it in their packs. Yes I got JABBA. I couldn't live without JABBA xD.
4. Yes I will add bibliocraft. I do really like this mod
5. Yus! I love botania!
6. Ok, I will get binnies mods and magic bees. But with gendustry, I think I will disable everything but the JSON bee adding because I lean towards binned mods more.
7. Chickenchunks I will add. Definitely.
8. Chisel is in :D
9. Out of all the npc mods, I might lean towards McA a bit more then custom NPC's because I have never played with Custom NPC's.
10. I will look into those mods. Sounds pretty nice. Can you link them to me?
11. EnderI/O is no question and extra utilities is already in.
12. I *might* add ender storage. Maybe
13. I was thinking about adding magical crops. But I think i'm going to buff some of the recipes.
14. I have never played with frames at all. I'll probably look into it.
15. IC2 and Inventory tweaks are already in. I might make it a disabled mod and let people decide if they want it or not.
16. I'll look into logistics pipes.
17. Mekanism yes. Mekanism armor and wepons on mobs no.
18. I dunno about the furniture mod. I already got bibliocraft.
19. Hmm. Do you recommend a portal mod? I just cant think of any to use.
20. Natura and obsidiplates are in.
21. For some reason. Openblocks doesn't like one of the mods. I will look into it and see if I can fix the issue.
22. Progressive automation I probably will use.
23. Projest red I will probably use too.
24. Railcraft is in
25. Random things seems pretty cool. I'll look into it.
26. TiCon and some addons are in.
27. TE is definitely in.
28. I don't know much about wawla. I'll look into it.
29. All of those magic mods are in there. I will be adding the thaumcraft addons soon.
Ok. I'll also look into draconic evolution. Never heard of it b4.
Thanks for the thoughts!
Cheers,

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
So I was thinking about how I said Level 1 Crafting table and stuff and how there's so many table upgrades. So that got me thinking about what a "Level 2" table could be. And I still haven't figured it out. I really can't think of any multi block setups that are both difficult and can be done in a house. Any ideas?

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Forestry Worktable. Awesome in a box.

Technically you should be able to craft this as early as Wooden Settlement.

tooncool64

Jul 29, 2019
I just sumbited the R2R WIP pack. The thread will be up soon and anyone who wants to alpha test just post there.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
As you can see, I got a new Refugee. It was quite an arduous ordeal. First I had to make a Department of Records, which is a building of at least 3x3 and has at least 6 double lockers. (If you don't have BetterStorage, 6 double chests will do fine) The building must contain all records of my citizens, excluding myself. I'm using the Enchiridion mod's Book Binder to keep better track of my Residents. Before they can arrive, three Books must be written: One for their Passport, one for their State at Arrival and one for their Assignments.

The Passport document includes the Refugee's Name, Age (Randomly chosen between 14 and 42), Sex (Gender, chosen at random), the day they arrived, Family, Pets and the way they arrived (Get creative with this one, Gerald may have been found collapsed in the desert, but you can also have as crazy an origin story you want)

The State at Arrival document includes the Refugee's Name, Master Proficiency (Chosen at Random), two Minor Proficiencies (Chosen at Random), Base Happiness (Chosen at Random between -10 and 10), Base Nourishment (Chosen at Random between -10 and 10) and Base Intelligence (Chosen at Random between -5 and 5)

The Assignments document includes the Refugee's Name, Appointed House, Appointed Job, Appointed Job Specifics (Specific Crops to Grow and such) and the Date the document was Signed

Now to answer the question of Proficiencies, each Resident has 1 thing they are exceptionally good at and 2 things they are very good at. These are their Proficiencies. When a Resident arrives at your Nation, these three Proficiencies are chosen at random using a generator for a number between 1 and 25. While Minor Proficiencies can be changed through studying, a Resident's Major Proficiency may not be changed. Truth be told, I haven't figured out all of the bonuses for Proficiencies as of yet, but here's the basics:
  • Minor Proficiency at Current Job: +10% Production
  • Major Proficiency at Current Job: +25% Production
  • Major Proficiency at Current Job: +5 Happiness
  • No Proficiency at Current Job: -3 Happiness
NOTE: You can have multiple of the same Proficiency, in that case, the effects stack. This means you can have a maximum of a 45% Bonus to production from Proficiency.

Proficiency List:
01: Farmer
02: Rancher
03: Bee Keeper
04: Orchard Master
05: Stable Master
06: Kennel Master
07: Fisherman
08: Plantationeer
09: Leader
10: Crafter
11: Smelter
12: Smith
13: Warrior
14: Miner
15: Explorer
16: Mage
17: Philosopher
18: Scientist
19: Artist
20: Writer
21: Musician
22: Businessman
23: Criminal
24: Technician
25: Book Keeper

Once I had his papers squared away, I had to build him a house and spend 20 food to pay for arrival expenses (40 food if playing Vanilla)

And finally, Gerald had arrived.

Why was Gerald at +193 or so on Nourishment?

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Why was Gerald at +193 or so on Nourishment?
It was a mistype, 1SDAN was initially 193 instead of 19, then I copy+pasted and then I fixed it on Dan but never edited the total on Gerald. IIRC, he was at 0 Nutrition at that time.

EDIT: Updated Files to current versions