rhn's continued adventures: a build journal, guide collection etc.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Mostly it's useful for making lots and lots of the same kind of drone for BNA, though for just letting them run it's fantastic.

I'm not actually breeding bees, but trees. I'm living at world spawn so I get the benefit of free chunkloading, and because it was a pretty awesome starting point. I literally started almost on top of the End stronghold. But I love the unique colors from the trees and can't get them any other way. Can't even remember what I started breeding for now that I think on it.

Fun fact: Railcraft Steam Boilers provide a lot of RF plugged into Big Reactors Steam Turbines.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I have as good as finished the "Hub area" for now:
Upper floor:
1IOd3kA.png

QfgKqwO.png

Lower floor
oaxTmAG.png

NqeShEW.png

Minecart network station:
7XiHkDR.png

As mentioned before the blue stripes on the walls are Fluid Displays from Random Things animating water streaming down(not easy to show on pictures).

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Wow its beautiful. I love what you have done with the little indoor ponds. How do you get the water to render in the spots with carpenters slopes? Thats doable? And that ceiling with the support beams is epic.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I love what you have done with the little indoor ponds. How do you get the water to render in the spots with carpenters slopes?
That is actually a default config I believe(or it is at least with FTB packs).
# When enabled, unobstructed stationary fluid adjacent to block will render in the same space.
# Note: this only takes effect when Fancy Graphics are enabled.
B:"Enable Fancy Fluids"=true
It doesnt take affect before you actually apply materials to the Carpenter's blocks. So if you try it out with just bare slopes it will not work. But apply blocks to them and the water will flow in.
Works with pretty much all the Carpenter's items, not just slopes.
Examples:
2m0UC7w.png

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Well... you inspired me to reinstall a texture pack. Not that icky Soartex though. ;) A nice gritty John Smith Technician's Remix.

Seriously though, Soartex is awesome, but it's so clean and clinical. Nice if you're making a sterile facility, but I love my gritty lived in look.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Well... you inspired me to reinstall a texture pack. Not that icky Soartex though. ;) A nice gritty John Smith Technician's Remix.

Seriously though, Soartex is awesome, but it's so clean and clinical. Nice if you're making a sterile facility, but I love my gritty lived in look.

Try pixel perfection.

Skvapter

Jul 29, 2019
I have to ask now, what's hot, warm, normal and cold for? (I assume that top one is 'hot'?)

Most likely to control the temperature or biome that his apiaries are at, so that it matches the bees' habitat. Just a guess though, I'm not too experienced with bees :p

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
sadly I do have a few cons for forestry backpacks. one would be that they mess up mods that allow you to rotate your inventory bars, such as Dual Hotbar and Quick Swap Loadouts and Hotbar swapper.
it seems to be related to the fact that the backpacks have several modes, and because of that when you try to rotate your hotbar the backpacks keep glitching back into your hotbar

another thing that I consider as a con is that the backpacks don't seem to accept some of the vanilla items, or put certain items in the wrong backpack.
I know you can configure this (which has become quite alot more difficult in 1.7.10) but in my opinion vanilla items should already be properly categorized
for example the backpacks don't seem to accept sugarcane and lapis often goes into the hunter backpack

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
They also don't like to be hotkey swapped. If you press 6 on something to move it in the bar, and that's a backpack, it'll tend to not actually move or appear to have duplicated. Sometimes both.

And yes, the touch screen is an alveary control.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I have to ask now, what's hot, warm, normal and cold for? (I assume that top one is 'hot'?)
It was an old picture I used from my previous Monster world(last time the diagonal water came up). It was the controls for a Breeder Alveary to control the temperature(to allow for breeding of bees that required other than Normal temperature biomes). You can find the full description here:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...uide-collection-etc.42664/page-11#post-682511

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Update on todays work:
Almost entirely spend the day on the minecart network(again :confused:). I have managed to get the network working despite still missing 3 stations(One just needs to be built, one need track put down and interior where station is to be built/designed/purpose found for first, and last one is just reserved for a location I currently have no direct plans for(it is just a cool location)).
All switch tracks have been "programmed" into the control circuit:
fJyTEfo.png

I realised that I had overestimated the number of signals required to be set for each destination. At any given time about half the Wye-tracks are pointing in the right direction by default, so only the other half needs signals to turn. Therefore the average signals required for a given destination turned out to be 3-4 Wye-tracks and 0-1 Switch tracks(Stations at each end doesn't require a switch track signal).

I have spend a great deal of time tidying up the tunnels:
vQYOtHE.png

OQSzjKB.png

And stations:
hkhOFwq.png

(Destination names are still not final :p)

But still a lot to do.
bfRpi7F.png

The tunnels take a lot of time to do with all the Carpenters blocks, fiddling around with Drawbridge gates and redstone circuits, tweaking bits and tracks when carts get stuck. Carts have a bit of a nasty problem some places with the slopes. Mostly where the slopes are broken, like where they are replaced by the switch motors. But not everywhere, which is rather odd. Anyway it is fixable with some Control tracks in strategic positions so no biggie.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I've been thinking. It might be possible to set up your system so you only have one reset logic. It'd be a little tricky, but what you have is the individual buttons each on one cable color. And here you'd need the insulated red alloy over MFR because it doesn't work otherwise. Lay it out so that the receivers are set one block apart from each other. They run forward three blocks, and into a repeater. Just before the repeater a single piece of uninsulated alloy wire wraps down and underneath the block and back to the center. Then the line runs down to the end, and to the reset transmitters. Use repeaters in the lines to prevent 'back flow' of the signals into other transmitters, and then a pulse former to ensure you get only one pulse per button press.

If that's all confusing, tell me and I'll make pictures.

Also, awesome design on the tunnels.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
for that last station make it a tourist rest stop themed one
Well it opens up on the other side of the mountain:
4fFQke6.png

(Notice the little bright tunnel on the side of the mountain)

View from there:
msghtuP.png

HJ9hsOk.png

I had the idea of making a harbour area there, but looking at it on the map just now... Maybe that would be a bit futile as it doesn't actually connect to the sea :p

If I am in the mood for it later, I might just make it into a evening drinks/BBQ terrace or something :p EDIT: Derp it is facing east, so it gets the sunrise :p

Also I need to plug that water source block over on that opposite mountain. Cause... OCPD :p

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Hmm... looking back that wouldn't work the way you're doing it. Never mind.

You'd destroy such a beautiful natural waterfall? Monster! ;) Actually it would be awesome as a resort style attraction, with a private lake full of yachts and such. There's a fair bit of room, and the mountain is large enough to completely hide the huge industrial complex from sight...

Perhaps even with it's own timer operated tram to shuttle guests from their bungalows to the main resort building or down to the water's edge? Ooh, and there's even an oil geyser.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I've been thinking. It might be possible to set up your system so you only have one reset logic. It'd be a little tricky, but what you have is the individual buttons each on one cable color. And here you'd need the insulated red alloy over MFR because it doesn't work otherwise. Lay it out so that the receivers are set one block apart from each other. They run forward three blocks, and into a repeater. Just before the repeater a single piece of uninsulated alloy wire wraps down and underneath the block and back to the center. Then the line runs down to the end, and to the reset transmitters. Use repeaters in the lines to prevent 'back flow' of the signals into other transmitters, and then a pulse former to ensure you get only one pulse per button press.

If that's all confusing, tell me and I'll make pictures.
I am not at all following what you are trying to do. But it sounds very bulky on the station end which I am trying to avoid. My current solution only takes up 4x3x2 blocks for the selection part.
EVPWSLv.png

7Ntll7Q.png

At many of the stations space have been very sparse so even this have been hard to fit in.

You'd destroy such a beautiful natural waterfall? Monster! ;) Actually it would be awesome as a resort style attraction, with a private lake full of yachts and such. There's a fair bit of room, and the mountain is large enough to completely hide the huge industrial complex from sight...

Perhaps even with it's own timer operated tram to shuttle guests from their bungalows to the main resort building or down to the water's edge? Ooh, and there's even an oil geyser.
Hehe yeah could be a possibility. If I ever get that much time on my hands :p Lot of projects with higher priority first.
I might have a project in mind for the volcano though(the large mountain on the other side of the water). I was thinking of doing a partial underground geothermal plant in a Glacial style biome, but since I cant find such a biome and I happen to have a huge fricking volcano in the backyard... ;)
But then again I have already started an underwater base as well and got plenty of stuff to do back at the main base.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
What I'm thinking wouldn't affect those. I'll make one in the morning and show it to you. It'll make more sense then.

Does TPPI have MFFS? If so that can duplicate builds or at least the basics fairly quickly. So you could make just one boat and then duplicate it with MFFS for example. Big time saver. Doesn't do carpenter's blocks though, at least as far as I know.

TNTer1234

Jul 29, 2019
The quality of your builds never ceases to blow me away every time I come back for the latest update. Though I've always wondered, what, if anything, goes into planning your builds? Do you draw and plan out your base layout or does it just come to you while playing?