What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

xTordX

Jul 29, 2019
What the Black Lotus does (I was too lazy to search the lexicon) : just a bit of free mana for a pool.
Laaame

ddejong

Jul 29, 2019
I was just looking at the online copy of Lexica Botania, and noticed the following in the petal apothecary description:

A simple tip for those who want to squeeze the biggest efficiency out of every block is as follows, up to twenty seconds after crafting a flower in this block, right clicking it with an empty hand will pull the items from the inventory required for the recipe and put them into it for quick mass crafting. This only works if it has water.

That's... so much easier than what I have been doing...

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
What the Black Lotus does (I was too lazy to search the lexicon) : just a bit of free mana for a pool.
Laaame
It really should give you more mana than it does currently. It is worthless right now.

I was just looking at the online copy of Lexica Botania, and noticed the following in the petal apothecary description:

A simple tip for those who want to squeeze the biggest efficiency out of every block is as follows, up to twenty seconds after crafting a flower in this block, right clicking it with an empty hand will pull the items from the inventory required for the recipe and put them into it for quick mass crafting. This only works if it has water.

That's... so much easier than what I have been doing...
It's a fairly new mechanic. What I did is I automated dropping water buckets and seeds every time the apothecary empties of water so I only have to right click for a new flower after the first one.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
I have no idea what mod that is @Plasmaboo but the storage in a storage thing has always been possible, just causes issues and potentially world corruption from too much NBT in one spot. From what I remember there is also a set limit to the amount of times you can nest tags with NBT so that would be an issue too.

For my most recent cool discovery, Gany's End + Tinkers' Construct + AE2 is an awesome combination. Although it's really Gany's End that's the good one, it includes a new material with a special property after all that is insanely useful for mining. If you make a tool from endium, or with TiC any tool part is endium on creation, it will grant the tool the ability to bind itself to an inventory and all blocks mined or drops from mobs killed will teleport straight into that inventory instead of actually dropping. AE2 comes into it because the interface has the nifty property of counting as an inventory, so all three mods combined allow you to create TiC hammers that teleport all blocks mined straight into your ME system, it doesn't work across dimensions but it's still very useful as you can rebind with incredible ease.

Nesting limit is 512 (seems to be a limit of the implementation and thus of the specification, rather than an intrinsic limit). You're unlikely to hit that unless you hit a bug that leads to infinite recursion or some other form of excessive recursion, or if you intentionally use a mod like this to reach the limit. I can't think of a legitimate reason to nest storage more than 500 deep, and you'll probably run out of CPU/RAM/GPU first.

The more likely limit you'll hit first is not intrinsic to NBT itself, but to the Anvil/Region format. The region header contains the location and size of each chunk in the file - measured in sectors of 4 kiB. The chunk size is a single byte, meaning that each chunk can be up to 255 sectors large (just under 1 MiB). Chunk data is compressed, but this limit could still be theoretically exceeded if a crapload of stuff (i.e. NBT data) were to be crammed in a single chunk. If the chunk data, after compression, exceeds 255 sectors, it cannot be correctly saved and thus world corruption will occur (the world will probably still be recoverable, but best case you lose the chunk, and worst case you lose the region). I can't really think of a conceivable way to hit this limit in Vanilla besides possibly entity spam (which would probably freeze the computer of anyone loading the world before the limit is reached), or doing some really silly shit like cramming items/mobs with really long random strings as names in the chunk. Mods which encourage storing lots of information in a small space (such as AE2, but excessive items moving in pipes could also do it) may also risk hitting the limit. But again, if the compression algorithm is good at compressing entity spam, it would take more effort to exceed the limit.

I might try scanning my current world with a Python program to see what the largest chunk I have is.

EDIT: Biggest chunk in my current world is 19 sectors (all others are smaller than 10). Don't know where it is other than that is it in the Overworld (well, I know the coordinates, but don't remember what is there).
EDIT2: It's in my base, and it's the chunk that contains all the ME storage in my main base (so most of my items), which makes sense.

Last edited:

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
So .. when an ME drive has a size limit, it's because there really is a size limit? :)

Well, the "data" on an ME cell is independent of actual savefile data usage. A stack of 500000 dirt in a cell will take up the same amount of real-world disk space as a stack of 50 dirt. The real-world space occupation is more likely to depend on the number of different types of items you have, and particularly how complex an item is (a block of dirt will take up less space than an Efficiency V diamond pick, which will most likely take up less space than a TiC tool, which will take up less space than a knapsack with a bunch of TiC tools and other stuff in it - while something like a written book can take up very little space or very much space, depending on its length).

As far as I can tell, you're not going to hit the limit in normal gameplay. Maybe if you stick hundreds or thousands of ME drives full of storage cells full of items in one chunk, which I doubt you would need. Or if you write a novel. Or if a poorly-written mod written by someone unaware of this limit stores large amounts of data in item NBT tags or in entities or tile entities, then you could end up hitting the limit. For example, if someone made a mod where you could make discs and record music on them (e.g. as .wav, .mp3, or .ogg), and the music was stored as NBT data on the item itself rather than being stored externally from the region file, you could hit the limit and get world corruption.

Salamileg9

Jul 29, 2019
Speed and jump boost effects that aren't listed in the inventory screen can stack. For example, with the Boots of the Traveler or the Globetrotter's Sash you can jump 3 blocks, but with both you can jump five.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Ooh, that reminds me of something. I've actually mentioned it on these forums before but you wouldn't have seen it if you weren't following Departed as it was in it's thread. TiC provides a fairly early game way to boost your health by three hearts, specifically the blood droplets give you a max HP boost on consumption, that's pretty much useless though due to length concerns. The notable part is the vampiric appetizer or whatever it is you get on drying them, it gives you the level 2 version for a few minutes which is the three hearts, the really interesting part though is unlike basically everything ever those are specifically coded to increase duration instead of setting it, so everyone you eat will increase how long you have remaining by the same few minutes allowing you to make it last hours if wanted.

Also drinking destabilized redstone with an MFR straw is nifty as hell, what it does is increase the level of all potion effects on you up to a maximum of level four and doubles the duration of all effects up to a maximum of eight minutes. So combine a few blocks with whatever powerful but difficult to acquire potion effect you want and you can get a level 4 effect with good duration of any possible potion effect. Note though it doesn't discriminate, you can give yourself wither 4 just as easily as you can give yourself absorption 4.

AndyMASH

Jul 29, 2019
I discovered that items don't despawn underwater, ever!
I discovered that a Polytool (from Minechem) with 20 stacks of Beryllium gives 15 skulls (skeleton or wither skeleton only) GUARANTEED for each kill :)))

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I discovered that items don't despawn underwater, ever!
I discovered that a Polytool (from Minechem) with 20 stacks of Beryllium gives 15 skulls (skeleton or wither skeleton only) GUARANTEED for each kill :)))
For the despawns, are you sure that isn't just AE or some mod with in-world crafting preventing it's items from despawning?

felinoel

Jul 29, 2019
So it's not that cool but the soul of the forgotten deity from XU is actually possible to get in survival, the interesting part though is just how absurdly unlikely it is to get. From what I can tell it has the chance to drop when any mob is killed by a player, what I know is that it is has a 1 in 43 million (9^8) chance of dropping, using the kikoku to kill them increases it tenfold to a mere 1 in 4.3million chance of dropping.

So that's my discovery, if you kill tens of millions of mobs you could actually get a soul of the forgotten deity to get an extra reinforced watering can.
What about using iron spikes?

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
What about using iron spikes?
It seems like it works on any mob kill regardless of if its by a player or not, just remember it's got a 1 in 43 million chance. So to try and give some kind of perspective imagine if you made an octuple compressed cobble, and for every cobblestone you used you killed one mob, you'd average one of these soul drops in that entire time.
This actually works on zombies and players as well as a note, it's also set to drop stacks - 5 heads in case you care about that.

desht

Jan 30, 2013
UK
A Bibliocraft bookcase plus the Redstone: Volume I book is very handy when placed on the side of a comparator to check for a specific signal level. Great for controlling levels in a Botania mana pool, for example.

Reactions: Azzanine

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Very nifty tip for those who have not yet discovered Automagi. Dense Redcrystal is the bomb.

Just a note, I think the comparitor needs to be In subtractor mode to work like Desht describes. Before I learned of that property of the bib bookcase. I did it with a container with a comparitor feeding in to a subtractor. If I wanted to weaken the signal I placed in more stacks of cobble. This subtracted the signal of the object I was comparitoriseing lol. I did it to not need space wasting redstone loops.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

desht

Jan 30, 2013
UK
Just a note, I think the comparitor needs to be In subtractor mode to work like Desht describes

I'm actually using them in comparison mode right now. As an example:
  • A bank of 8 endoflames surround a pressure pad, above which an open crate hangs, which is fed burnable items by a hopper.
  • If there are items on the plate, a signal is sent to the hopper to stop it feeding the open crate.
  • Additionally, there's a comparator on a diluted mana pool that the endoflames feed mana to. Diluted mana pools are very handy buffers; this one feeds into my main mana storage.
  • The comparator has a bookcase on the side with a Redstone: Volume 1 book somewhere around the 7th or 8th slot. So the comparator emits a signal (of around half strength) when the diluted pool is about half full or more.
  • The comparator signal is OR'd with the pressure plate signal to also send a signal to the hopper. Any signal strength > 0 is enough to stop the hopper.
Using a small buffer pool like this (and setting the threshold around half) is nice to avoid fuel wastage if only a very small amount of mana is taken from the main pool (e.g. to run a Solegnolia or similar - and you will want one of those near your endoflames if you have a magnet ring). The diluted pool normally sits around full since some mana gets squirted from the endoflames after the comparator signal turns on, but taking a little off the top won't reactivate the endoflames and waste a whole coal every time a piddling amount of mana is taken.

Reactions: Lethosos