Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Magic isn't really science to the power of science, though... Thaumaturgy is the most "real" form of magic, in my eyes, since alchemy was magic insofar as everyone thought one could turn lead into gold via some magical stone, but alchemy because herbal remedies and those because what we know as drugs.
So Thaumaturgy could be explained as not having a grasp of how it works(a core component of miracles, which are based on faith), and seeing cool things one can do via unusual tricks. Rarely is it overtly magic, but often somewhere in between. Hence why I enjoy Thaumcraft, because Thaumaturgy is my favorite field of magical thought aside from symbol magic.

I always though that alchemy was the point where magic and sciance meet. Of coarse they were clueless about both at the time.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
You arn't far off.
e=MC^2

E=energy=magic
M=matter=common sciance
C=Speed of light=An absolute limit that can not be crossed

So Magic=science times greater than the speed of light.
Or on other words. Magic = science fiction
Magic is no different than science fiction.

Magic wands=phasers

There is an anime called Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha they have scify worlds where they swore off normal science a long time ago do to the colateral damage of physical weapons. (Nukes)

They have freeking AI driven magic staffs and interdimentional spaceships. :D
I don't know when you are, but I'm in February 2015... are you in July 2014? Can you tell past me that the answer to problem 24 is "C"?

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Magic is science we have yet to understand.
We all know what a magnet is, but if you take one to the untouched tribes living in the Amazon- its a magic rock that controls metal.​

Ah but do you truly understand how it works? It's one thing to understand it's effects but another how it works.
No one has a complete understanding of any of the fundamental forces. Including magnetism.
So in actuality magnets are magic to everybody.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Unlike tweezers, nail files and soap- mobile phones don't pose any real danger. Otherwise we wouldn't be allowed to take them on.

We should turn them off however- because they cause interference with the pilot's radio [which is mildly annoying]- if you've had an incoming text/call whilst stood next to a speaker/soundsystem you'll know exactly what I mean.
(they don't interfere with the instruments/safe running of the aircraft)

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I always though that alchemy was the point where magic and sciance meet. Of coarse they were clueless about both at the time.
July 11th, last year. That post was from July 11th 2014.
But yeah, if we're going with "real world" examples of "magic", I still prefer thaumaturgy to alchemy, even if alchemy often had real results. It was nascent pharmaceutical treatment. A quest for the philosophers stone, with useful things found along the way.
Alchemy was very much rote and formula; but it involved many, MANY experiments along the way. Thaumaturgy was/is the same deal, just more mystical.
Alchemy is very much the place where magic and science met half way; thaumaturgy is working miracles. Miracles are hard to shape and not show a effect.
Hence, Thauamturgy was where science and showmanship met half way, even if real useful things happened, and real thaumaturgists existed, working real miracles... Lots of impressive fakes would drown them out.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I'm the opposite, I prefer alchemy to thaumaturgy. It was magic, but with potential real-world applications, it wasn't just for impressing kings and nobility and was more likely to actually work. While it was still deeply entrenched in mysticism, alchemy sought to understand how the "magic" of the world works and how one could apply it toward useful ends. I mean, if there is actual magic in a setting, how would people be able to best understand it? Would you be more likely to truly understand the magic by mysticism and what amounts to hand-waiving, or through experimentation and observation? The method of science is mankind's most powerful tool for a reason.

boondockArtist

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer all the magic, it's all neat! Especially the spiritualism stuff that Native American spiritualists/shamans did way back when. Just seeing what people do with magic and how they intemperate it is fun!

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I personally like little fantastical gizmos and gadgets over full fledged magic systems, things like the enderpearl teleportation mechanic :)

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
With all the magic mods you have to follow the tech tree but there is no need to keep setups or any facilities because there is always a way to do it 100% more efficiently down the line.

That's called progression. It's a thing that exists. Admittedly there are only a few tech mods that actually do that. Gregtech (don't hurt me), Metallurgy and... that might be it...

OMG magic mods are more teckish than tech mods. Hahaha.