Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
*rolls d20 to hit block*
17 - hit
*rolls d8 for damage*
*rolls d20 to hit block*
*rolls d20 to confirm critical failure*
1 -critical fail
*rolls d100 to find out what happens*
Pick hits your own head.
*rolls d20 to hit block*

I don't see that going to well.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/59883-after-microsoft-what-about-minecraft-youtubers#comments

boxyt.PNG

Can we stop panicking now? Please? I told you they wouldn't alienate that large part of the community. :rolleyes:

I have a feeling they will release more statements about what they plan to do and about modding etc. I think everything will be alright :)

On a more unserious note I think we wouldn't ever have to worry about power again if we could have harnessed the collective sphincter clench of everyone when they saw that microsoft bought mojang.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Are we gonna get a MC trading card game? Maybe a DnD version of MC

Sweet I rolled a 20. That means I break through 10 cobblestone and obtain 3 diamonds. I'd like to play my craft card and make a diamond pick!

No "DnD" version unless Hasbro gets involved, through Wizards of the Coast. Come to think of it, do they have any claim on Fantasy card games too?[DOUBLEPOST=1411157676][/DOUBLEPOST]
http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/59883-after-microsoft-what-about-minecraft-youtubers#comments

boxyt.PNG

Can we stop panicking now? Please? I told you they wouldn't alienate that large part of the community. :rolleyes:

I have a feeling they will release more statements about what they plan to do and about modding etc. I think everything will be alright :)

On a more unserious note I think we wouldn't ever have to worry about power again if we could have harnessed the collective sphincter clench of everyone when they saw that microsoft bought mojang.

Sphincter Clench sounds like the name of Eyamaz' next hardcore pack... :D

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019

boxyt.PNG

This is good to hear. Very, very, very good to hear. Thanks for posting this, @Bigpak . :) Hopefully it will help cool some heads in this topic. ;)

Sphincter Clench sounds like the name of Eyamaz' next hardcore pack... :D

Oh, @Eyamaz ... :p

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019

boxyt.PNG

Nice. Does bode well.

Reactions: pc_assassin

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
Microsoft letting people continue making Youtube videos without hassle isn't really indicative of anything because they generally have a lax streaming policy to begin with.

Modding is the key issue as far as I'm concerned and that's one thing they haven't addressed. Even DLC and junk is less important in my view because we simply don't have to play those versions.

CyberFoxx

Jul 29, 2019
It should be noted that the numbers for the XBox 360 version could be greatly inflated. A while ago they gave out free copies of the game, even to those that don't even have a console. If you have a Live account (Either from old MSN or the new Skype), then you also have a XBox profile/account. There used to be a page where you could see what games were bound to your account, (Can't find it now), but I did notice that I somehow owned a copy of the 360 version of Minecraft when I was checking my XBox profile for giggles one day.

If they are counting those free give-aways as "purchases", well...

Captain_Oats

Jul 29, 2019
I love this claim. "Businessess are in it only for the profit, so if they do something only for profit, they can't be greedy/evil/immoral!" It's not even circular logic, it's just... no logic at all.

Late reply but I felt like I had to. First, I never said a business couldn't be immoral. I was simply trying to show that the logic of "they're just in it for a payday" doesn't immediately translate to a loss for the consumer.

Speaking of circular "logic".
Also, yes, it does mean they don't _care_ about consumer needs or demands, it means they care about maximizing profit, and meeting demands can be a way to gain profit sometimes, when that's the most tactical option.
....right. So they want to meet consumer demands in order to maximize profits, and somehow that means they don't care about consumer demands? That doesn't sound like a very good company.

Since you came off as patronizing and condescending, I'll re-iterate what I was trying to say.
If a company's goal is profit (which it is by definition), and they want to please the consumer in order to continue making (or increasing) profit, then not only can the customer's needs be met, but the company can make it's profit. Consumer satisfaction and a profitable business are not mutually exclusive.

Once again I didn't mention Microsoft or any company in my post with regards to this topic (which is off topic), I was simply stating that "they're evil cause they hope to profit from an acquisition" is well.... then I remembered what forum I was on, and the likely average age of posters.

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
I think most of you are missing the important part of this tweet...

The deal is not closed yet! Notch agreed to sell his part of the company to Microsoft. Microsoft is still negotiating with the rest of the owners. Total value of the purchase is estimated 2.something billions. Final deal is not set in stone yet, so you will not hear what are the conditions or guarantees Microsoft will have to obey until it is closed!!!

If you didnt heard anything from Microsoft that will put you to rest about the future of Minecraft is mostly because the deal is not fully closed yet....

TheQuixote

Jul 29, 2019
In the end I can't see how the ecosystem will be the same 18 months from now. Whether they bought it for a competitive advantage on specific platforms or they think it's a good investment that will turn a profit, things will need to get locked down and java probably isn't going to provide them the control they want.

If it's seen a profit making venture, and they think a mod store would be a profit center, things will probably be very different for modders, but a lot of that might be a good thing.

If it's seen as a means to compete on consoles and mobile, things might not be as rosy for the PC modded portion of the community. Thinking of IE after Netscape was killed. They don't throw a lot of money at something when it turns little profit and they don't need to compete.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I think most of you are missing the important part of this tweet...

The deal is not closed yet! Notch agreed to sell his part of the company to Microsoft. Microsoft is still negotiating with the rest of the owners. Total value of the purchase is estimated 2.something billions. Final deal is not set in stone yet, so you will not hear what are the conditions or guarantees Microsoft will have to obey until it is closed!!!

If you didnt heard anything from Microsoft that will put you to rest about the future of Minecraft is mostly because the deal is not fully closed yet....

What Enderbag are you pulling this "fact" out of? Every official report is saying that Microsoft has purchased Mojang, not "Mr. Persson's share of Mojang". Even Microsoft's Official announcement:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2014/sept14/09-15news.aspx

REDMOND, Wash. — Sept. 15, 2014 — Microsoft Corp. today announced it has reached an agreement to acquire Mojang, the celebrated Stockholm-based game developer, and the company’s iconic “Minecraft” franchise.

Note the text highlighted in red. This means that the negotiations are complete. Usually these announcements are not made until final because if either company were to back out the other would have grounds to sue.

The only reason(s) they talk about the agreement "finalizing" are details like working the company structure into the existing hierarchy, some accounting details such as lease transfers, accounts payable/receivable transferred to whatever deprtment will be handling that end of things, title transfers, Tax information, etc.

If it's anything like the companies I've worked for that have been sold there will also probably be personnel interviews and payscale negotiations (in my experience, always upwards)

Last edited:

Ninjorp

Jul 29, 2019
I know that your intentions are in the right place, but I feel it's worth saying that Kickstarter would be a really bad idea. There's a big can of worms there when there's a big pile of money on the table, with various people potentially willing to contribute to a project but wary of who controls the money, who controls the commits, who decides the direction of the project, who gets how much of the money, etc. Hard feelings are probably inevitable. And that's when the forks begin.

Minetest and Terasology are examples of two which made quite a lot of progress without money involved. Probably the only reason they're not bigger/better is because we're all still playing Minecraft, which I doubt will change any time soon unless Microsoft royally screws the pooch.

Concern noted, thanks for the response.

Allow me to add as well, as a 42 year old Minecraft player, who looks at the culture of the young people today in absolute horror, the Minecraft community and the ingenious mod designers give me some measure of hope for the future. I've watched video games slowly morph from an obscure nerdly effort to a multibillion dollar mainstream industry, and hated every inch of ground given.

Thanks for helping to restore my faith in humanity.

Reactions: Ritt and FyberOptic

Ninjorp

Jul 29, 2019
Open source alternatives already available: Minetest (only one I tried so far), Terasology, Mine Droid, Goblin Camp. I don't know about the others, but Minetest already has quite a few mods. Most game logic and mods are in Lua, but the engine is in C++. Not quite as portable as Minecraft, but officially supports mods. I think that has the best chance so far.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Goblin Camp is more Dwarf Fortressy isn't it?

Leonexis

Jul 29, 2019
Goblin Camp is more Dwarf Fortressy isn't it?
Supposedly, yes. Haven't played that one yet and not in active development anymore from what I could tell. It just gets me when people are like "Let's make an open source (game/program)!" Usually, if it's popular enough, one or more projects will already be in the works.

I just wanted to list some alternatives that already exist. Of course they won't be exact clones and that's a good thing. Every project provides unique features and ways of doing things. I just wish more commercial projects would actively ask (or at least allow) the community to improve their products freely. Heck, it's free labor, why shouldn't they?

I would love it if Minecraft had an easier way to build and modify mods. For example, if I wanted to modify how long it took for a specific tree to grow from a planted sapling in Minetest, I could modify a single easy-to-read (and find) Lua file that dealt with that process and just reload the game. No complex development environment, build scripts, or even recompiling required. Someone could possibly write a mod for Minecraft that allowed for this kind of simple mod writing and editing (even in other programming languages). Without a standard officially supported mod API, however, it would be a major pain to develop, let alone maintain across game updates.

Thankfully, more games from small companies are at least considering this from the start like TUG.

As a side note, it would be awesome if Feed the Beast supported modpacks for other voxel games ^_^

Sent from my Nexus 7