Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Also, with the "perfect template stuff", how to get the good traits like 4x fertility? Do certain species of bees automatically have it, or is it just a random mutation?

Certain species have it.

Go in game and search for "fertility" in NEI. You'll get some serums from Extra Bees (because Gendustry doesn't seem to show its samples in NEI). Just click or press R over the one you're looking for and NEI will show you all the species that can give you that trait.

Last edited:

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Built my mob spawning platform 40 blocks away does that matter?

It matters only because mobs won't spawn if you're too close. If you're referring to the distance the quest book suggests, it's just a rough guideline. It doesn't actually care where you build it, so long as you give it the rotten meat and bones.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
Built my mob spawning platform 40 blocks away does that matter?
Mobs spawn between 24 and 64 blocks from the player, but if more than 40 blocks away they stop moving on their own. So traps that rely on mobs to walk somewhere, such as off a platform into water, won't work if the player is more than 40 blocks from the trap.

blazer33333

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to transfer a type of a drone into a queen type? As in, if I have a white drone, can somehow use it to transform a forest or other random queen into a white queen?

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Kind of.

Use a Genetic Sampler from Gendustry along with some blank samples. Throw in some amount of drones and hope for a "Species: White" sample. Put that on a genetic template and run the random queen through with that template.

if you use the template on a queen, you'll get offspring that are a hybrid between the original species and the traits on your template. Either imprint your template onto a princess and drone and breed those together, or wait for the queen to die and use it on its princess and drone. Keep repeating until you've locked down a stable species.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
It takes forever to get a sample of Fertility:1
--
The explorer effect from Edenic bees is probably the most benificial / OP of all the effects as you just level up constantly while standing near the hives. Assuming you need xp for enchanting and so on.
--
There are 13 different alleles, so each attempt to extract species:white has only a 1:13 chance of getting it - you can burn up a lot more drones than 13 looking for it.

The safer way to "rebreed" a queen/princess of one type into another is simply to place her into an automated hive with a stack of drones. Each generation she breeds with the drone, some 50% of the remaining alleles should on average become the desired species traits, so she normally breeds true within 4 generations. You can tell when she has converted as the drones will start stacking again.

Last edited:

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
It takes forever to get a sample of Fertility:1
--
The explorer effect from Edenic bees is probably the most benificial / OP of all the effects as you just level up constantly while standing near the hives. Assuming you need xp for enchanting and so on.
--
There are 13 different alleles, so each attempt to extract species:white has only a 1:13 chance of getting it - you can burn up a lot more drones than 13 looking for it.

The safer way to "rebreed" a queen/princess of one type into another is simply to place her into an automated hive with a stack of drones. Each generation she breeds with the drone, some 50% of the remaining alleles should on average become the desired species traits, so she normally breeds true within 4 generations. You can tell when she has converted as the drones will start stacking again.
From my experience, it tends to take up to 16 to get her to breed true, sometimes you get lucky and she breeds true within a shorter amount, but from the number that I have done up to this point, there was a maximum of 16 drones to purify the queen.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
The safest way that I've found is to use an imprinter with a genetic template. It will take one generation, or two at max if all you have is a Queen, to stabilize or "breed true".

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
The safest way that I've found is to use an imprinter with a genetic template. It will take one generation, or two at max if all you have is a Queen, to stabilize or "breed true".

The query started as "I have a drone/small number of drones", can I use them to change a queen to their traits?

In which case the genetic imprinter is out, as with a small number of drones, capturing their species might not happen. But breeding the queen with the drones will probably breed true within 4 generations, and even if not, the bulk of the characteristics can be preserved by choosing the offspring. Once you have a stable queen, you can breed the drones to process in the sequencer to capture the species and any other desirable traits alleles to put in a template.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
What is preventing you from getting more drones before you try altering genetics? Unless of course you're breeding to get 1x fertility, which you mentioned above. If that's the case, either use artificial hives to get rocky bees or wait for an extra princess to spawn and start breeding her, and repeat.

In all other cases where you are not trying to get a particular fertility trait, I've found that the key is just throwing in a princess and drone with 4 life upgrades and an automation upgrade. Wait until you have about half a stack of extra drones and throw those into the sampler.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
What is preventing you from getting more drones before you try altering genetics? Unless of course you're breeding to get 1x fertility, which you mentioned above. If that's the case, either use artificial hives to get rocky bees or wait for an extra princess to spawn and start breeding her, and repeat.

In all other cases where you are not trying to get a particular fertility trait, I've found that the key is just throwing in a princess and drone with 4 life upgrades and an automation upgrade. Wait until you have about half a stack of extra drones and throw those into the sampler.
I can't speak for the original question, but I have a case where I have a single infernal drone, which seems quite necessary for the later bee quests, and it's a question of whether I want to go and try and hunt another few down (which is time consuming and tricky), or throw fertility 4 on it and a random princess, and hope for the best.

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
I need to move my Big Reactor Turbine, but that turbine glass is a pain to remove is there any easy way to recover it?

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
I see. I had the same issue regarding infernal drones. Is there a way to lure them with an artificial hive like you would forest or meadows drones?

I ended up flying around in the nether for a few minutes to find infernal hives. The modpack purports that the Nether is optional, so there probably is another way to get more infernal drones without all the random chance of losing the species.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I see. I had the same issue regarding infernal drones. Is there a way to lure them with an artificial hive like you would forest or meadows drones?

I ended up flying around in the nether for a few minutes to find infernal hives. The modpack purports that the Nether is optional, so there probably is another way to get more infernal drones without all the random chance of losing the species.

Don't tell anyone but Jaded was good to me. Between judicious quest reward choices and random bag loot I got a breeding pair (princess and drone) of each type I needed to breed all the required bee lines. I got oblivion, ender, infernal, meadows, swamp, jungle, forest, jaded (x2), valiant, modest and some others.

"Luring bees"? whats that? I made one artificial hive for the quest, threw it away. Have no idea how it works even.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
I did the same, threw away the hive after making it for the quest.

The way you're supposed to get bees in this pack is with scented artificial hives. You place one with some blocks that the species you're trying to attract likes, then wait. There's a chance that the artificial hive will turn into an actual hive of the kind you're looking for.

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
I got so many bee rewards that the artificial hive was completely useless to me

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jerx99

Jul 29, 2019
I can't speak for the original question, but I have a case where I have a single infernal drone, which seems quite necessary for the later bee quests, and it's a question of whether I want to go and try and hunt another few down (which is time consuming and tricky), or throw fertility 4 on it and a random princess, and hope for the best.

This is where you should go back to normal Forestry mechanics... Making an Infernal/Infernal princess/drone pair from a single drone is very simple... Just bring out your beealyzer and keep all the "middle stages" until you are done.