Is "Blood Magic" Overpowered?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Let me rephrase that, then. It's somewhat silly to do so, but one could still use every part of the mod not associated directly with spells without really understanding what they were doing, or why, as long as they have NEI.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Oh

Masssattacker

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a idea maybe make the blood orbs have the in game info in them? When you level up your blood orb you could have the new stuff unlocked?

Just an idea.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a idea maybe make the blood orbs have the in game info in them? When you level up your blood orb you could have the new stuff unlocked?

Just an idea.
Could be useful. Craft a blood orb with book and get your basic info book.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Speaking of power in relation to blood magic
So it's been a while... Guess I'll just leave this here...
syve6ada.jpg

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I'm thinking that if I added screams into the mod, some people might not be too happy! :3

I'd be happy to record screams for you <.<[DOUBLEPOST=1398330726][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh, and if you haven't, you should consider adding achievements, so little mods do that. I feel like any mod that adds achievements is better then any mod that doesn't.

I hate achievments.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
...Achievement unlocked

In actual seriousness, I'm not sure what there's to hate about them
Sure I can accept not seeing a point to it, but I'm curious as to why they're so bad?
I both like and dislike achievements. As a trained marketer, I can't help but be impressed and enthused by them. As a collector, well, that's fairly obvious. But as a lifelong gamer, coming up from the Commodore 64 era, I despise them.

I'll try to broadstroke that last for you, although my reasons may be different from Jadedcat's.

So let's try it with an anecdote. Back in the day, when WoW was first a thing, my brother and I spent a lot of time doing "impossible" things - two-manning five-man dungeons (with neither of us a healer), taking on portions of raids even with just the two of us, pulling off some truly ludicrous operations when it came to farming special drops and certain world events. Every once in a while I'd do something similar with something else as well, although it was mostly just us. We liked to challenge ourselves and do cool stuff.

Fast-forward to the release of official achievements. Afterwards, nobody cared to try anything that wasn't on that list. Nobody was impressed with anything you did that you couldn't link an achievement to; some people even started using them as a prerequisite to taking players along on raids. It added something to the game, sure, but at a deep cost to player creativity. If most people had been marching in lockstep to the developers before, the achievements cemented it. They also often deliberately caused poor play on the part of your fellow players, because they were more concerned with earning an achievement than participating in a group activity to the best of their ability, even if that achievement happened to be along the lines of "get your butt kicked by Big Boss #3 in a certain manner", etc.

I can only admire the incredible extension to a game's lifecycle that a well-written achievement system creates, and I can only be disgusted by what it does to players on so many levels. Some people barely play games anymore; they're just following a checklist of assigned tasks to earn another meaningless point.

Reactions: abobabo

abobabo

Jul 29, 2019
This sums up my general view of achievements.

Though I do think they skipped the usage of achievements as teaching devices, and that is a fair usage.

Masssattacker

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if possible in a mod but I would love to get a "reward" of sorts like HCQ does.

That might make them useful