Request Suggest mods for creation here

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
The limit is still true by default in the config, and there are reasons for that, but yes he added a way to make them larger than 16x16x16. Doing so might very well be laggy on SMP, also players will have to be locked in their seats during the time the ship is in motion.
If you're not going thru space, the latter part would make perfect sense. After all, you'd have to deal with inertia should you stop, so belting up is a wise decision.

Also, wonder what it'd take to go full-on System Shock with Minecraft. Not just the tech and cybernetics, but the psionic abilities, too. Kinda like Ars Magica, only there's a penalty for depleting your reserves of power, since they rely on your mind; depletion would likely lead to short-term exhaustion. (Yes, I'm a huge Looking Glass Studios fan, could ya tell?)

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
To sort of add to the locking players in their seats, I don't know if any power type blocks will function properly while in motion like ic2 cables or thermal expansion conduits, so the craft might need its own miniature fusion and fission reactors thrusters and ion thrusters and methods of transmitting power or fuel.

Spell systems seem to be one of the hardest things to do right but ars and Minegica II seem to be the best two examples so far.

owenb11

Jul 29, 2019
A mod that adds modular machines (you put heater blocks along with structure blocks, input/output blocks and power blocks and if it's big it takes more heat blocks to go at a decent speed if it's small it goes really quickly)

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
A mod that adds modular machines (you put heater blocks along with structure blocks, input/output blocks and power blocks and if it's big it takes more heat blocks to go at a decent speed if it's small it goes really quickly)
Engineer's Toolbox kinda has that, except its not with multiblocks. Think more along the lines of MFFS, except with more mundane utility like energy storage/conversion and ore processing.

Also, I think it should be more like so: if you only have a few heater blocks underneath, it reaches is maximum operational speed quickly, but its output potential is limited. A larger machine would take longer to warm up, but when it did, it'd work faster. Because, otherwise, you'd just have people making a ton of the little things, and as we've all seen, tons of little things can amount to a large amount of lag.

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
To sort of add to the locking players in their seats, I don't know if any power type blocks will function properly while in motion like ic2 cables or thermal expansion conduits, so the craft might need its own miniature fusion and fission reactors thrusters and ion thrusters and methods of transmitting power or fuel.

Spell systems seem to be one of the hardest things to do right but ars and Minegica II seem to be the best two examples so far.

It could be done, That is what I was thinking, the code could check for all the required parts (like a builder did to recreate a structure) and allow it to move based off what parts were added, of course a power room, the core could be multiblock as well which would allow for larger cores, aka you could make mini-ships like fighters or transports that could have smaller cores that produce a lessened amount of energy. Tho I am thinking that players could make a smaller ship with a larger core to get more thrust to their engines and whatnot, aka there would be many modular parts to the construction and the player just builds the frame. Frames acomplished moving entire structures around with mod equipment I dont see any reason why this couldn't make a similar thing. Tho frames are so clunky and akward. I'd love to see a full space exploration mod that could easily bring a player from minecraftia (terra) to wherever. There could be scanning devices or even telescope based equipment that would allow for the scanning to find other planets, those other planets could be randomly generated or with another block (star charts perhaps?) could make their own planet based on a system like mystcraft.

The ships could have hyperdrives that would allow for instant travel from where ever you were to that location tho you couldn't go unless it was explored. You can scan distant solar systems based on your equipment and upgrades to said device in an IC2 way of upgrades. Local scanning wouldn't take much tho so you could easily find asteroids that hold materials and the materials would equal the size, so diamond asteroids would be massive with many different minerals while things like comets would have water/ice base materials and nothing TOO advanced (cause yanno.. comets dont host as many complex minerals as leftover star materials)

There could be star harvesting for power either the solar type or even so close as syphoning star material to power your hyperdrives (a basic one would need a lot of power but an advanced one would need a massive amount of power which would require upgrades and star harvesting.) There could be battles of course, pulse guns, lasers, missles, going wild and designing your own. Making a missle would only require a warhead and a rocket which could be manufactured somewhat cheaply. There would also be teleportation of course, that is how you would load into worlds, hop down and mine the materials to your heart's content then warp back up and move to the next planet.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
We would also have to factor in the limited rendering distance of the minecraft client so an on board map is a must, most comets and other structures will yield ridiculous amounts of iron, but we could skirt around realism with those. Making a specialized mining ship does have to be a feasible option.

I also feel like having the warp/hyper drive fuel cost being insane will be a good thing, could encourage fleet travel with a storage vessel and a mining ship.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
We also need a mobspawn/farm system similar to the peace table but where the mobs don't actually spawn so we don't have the occasional accident where "Opps 2k mobs spawned while I was offline and now server tps is plummeting to zero" I mean soulshards, and auto-spawners are cool and all, but this isn't practical SMP design.

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
We would also have to factor in the limited rendering distance of the minecraft client so an on board map is a must, most comets and other structures will yield ridiculous amounts of iron, but we could skirt around realism with those. Making a specialized mining ship does have to be a feasible option.

I also feel like having the warp/hyper drive fuel cost being insane will be a good thing, could encourage fleet travel with a storage vessel and a mining ship.

not mind-numbingly stupid for the amount of resources cause I'd like for players to experience it. tho it would take a netherstar for the hyperdrive I'm sure, other then that it takes time to travel which would have it's own risks/rewards. Asteroids and Comets would have their own special resource to make weaponry of course and upgrades. The ship "command" block (the one that would tie the entire thing together) would allow for areas to be destroyed in a fight (the mobs could be single ships) The ships could be boarded and salvaged, I'm not sure how I feel about ships being taken over.. maybe only salvaging for now.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
I think restricting the resources for warp drive fuel to only be found in space is reasonable since you can roam around your first solar system without any warp drive. Could be a common thing to be found on asteroids and maybe a large surplus on a moon somewhere.

Boarding/combat in space and breaking of ship components in-flight with the negative consequences that come with such as loss of air/power will be where things get really hairy, and with the minecraft engine the way it is, there will be complications and im not really a fan of the way things moved with frames so I would like to keep it as fluid of movement as possible like Archimedes ships but with some tinkering who knows whats possible, but if it isn't it isn't.

Tsun

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a mod many people could really use: something that allows for easy custom tooltips.
i.e. you can add a custom tooltip to any item from a config or something, by adding the item ID.

It would be hard work at first to add each individual tooltip, but once you get them done, it would be much easier to update it to new versions.

Maybe even categories, for example you could add a tooltip "Rail Tracks Signaling System", and add all related item IDs to it, like Signal Block Surveyor, Whistle Tuner, Signal Lamp, Switch Motor

It would be so much easier to understand what item is related to what.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019

There is a very similar mod being made right now by a friend of mine called EngineerCraft. I'm making all of the textures. He currently hasn't added the power system, and only has a tier one block, but I think he eventually plans on making modular multiblocks.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

caramba2564

Jul 29, 2019
I've been failing to work on a mod, so I figured I'd post the idea over here.

Mod: Hitchhiker's Towel

Contents: A towel

What the towel does:

When right-clicked: Heals you for 3-6 hearts, has a chance to become dirty the more hearts it heals.
To clean a dirty towel, right click with it in water.

When left clicked on a mob: Play a towel slap sound and deal 3-4 hearts of damage.

When used as armor:
Head: Give blindness effect
Torso: Give resistance 1
Legs: Fall damage protection
Foot: Makes the towel dirty

Special effect: At midnight, enchant a book with 30 levels and you might get an Overcharged enchantment. Combine it with a enchantable towel(towel + other expensive stuff) to get an Overcharged Towel. When right clicked it charges for 10 seconds and fires a 20-second long laser beam of death that deals massive damage to all enemies. All that while playing Excision & Downlink's VIP of Existence. Then the towel disintegrates.

Anybody wants to help me with it?

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I've been failing to work on a mod, so I figured I'd post the idea over here.

Mod: Hitchhiker's Towel

Contents: A towel

What the towel does:

When right-clicked: Heals you for 3-6 hearts, has a chance to become dirty the more hearts it heals.
To clean a dirty towel, right click with it in water.

When left clicked on a mob: Play a towel slap sound and deal 3-4 hearts of damage.

When used as armor:
Head: Give blindness effect
Torso: Give resistance 1
Legs: Fall damage protection
Foot: Makes the towel dirty

Special effect: At midnight, enchant a book with 30 levels and you might get an Overcharged enchantment. Combine it with a enchantable towel(towel + other expensive stuff) to get an Overcharged Towel. When right clicked it charges for 10 seconds and fires a 20-second long laser beam of death that deals massive damage to all enemies. All that while playing Excision & Downlink's VIP of Existence. Then the towel disintegrates.

Anybody wants to help me with it?

That is a hilarious idea. And, since you want people to help if you aren't too into textures I could do 'em for you.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
There was a guy on the minecraft forums who programs basic mods like these.

I can't seem to find the article though, and the laser beam is probably not all that basic.

MacSkills

Jul 29, 2019
2 ideas,

- Inverted pressure plates, They always give a redstone signal but when you stand on it the signal will stop, an example to use: Drawbridge door/gate ;)
- Colored chests, pure design (no function), 8 planks with dye in the middle or chest with 4 of the same dye on left right top and bottom.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
2 ideas,

- Inverted pressure plates, They always give a redstone signal but when you stand on it the signal will stop, an example to use: Drawbridge door/gate ;)
- Colored chests, pure design (no function), 8 planks with dye in the middle or chest with 4 of the same dye on left right top and bottom.

The first one can be accomplished with a setup like this.

P = Pressure Plate
B = Block
V = Redstone
N = Redstone Torch
C = Empty Space

CCCPC
BBBVB
VVNBB

Not that difficult. Depending on where the pressure plate is you can make it even more compact.

The colored chests sound cool, though.

Reactions: SatanicSanta