Request Suggest mods for creation here

JunpakuKarasu

Jul 29, 2019
Some type of rudimentary security mod, password/lockable doors, Villager proof doors, ETC,
, I mean, I want villagers that can't come in my house, To be able to have doors only i can open, The only way to do that is super expensive TC stuff
Whenever I decide to live in a village, I use a fence gate in place of a door ^w^

Reactions: ApSciLiara

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Ya know, you could just use an iron door with a button on the outside and a pressure plate on the inside. Six iron and 3 cooked stone, not expensive in the slightest, has better explosion resistance than a regular door, and villagers can't break into your place.

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
Ya know, you could just use an iron door with a button on the outside and a pressure plate on the inside. Six iron and 3 cooked stone, not expensive in the slightest, has better explosion resistance than a regular door, and villagers can't break into your place.

Villager proof is the least importiant part of that idea, Security for SMP servers, We have safes but that's it,
Iron door with circuits or somthing, Among other recipies, It could be an IC2 addon

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
I would probably stick away from IC2 add-ons since it's future looks a little cloudy, I would rather make it able to use multiple power sources and features of many mods.

With BC, UE and the up and coming Electrodynamics power system there is a lot to choose from. Although I'm biased towards Electrodynamics now.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I really wish people would provide actual sources when they say major mods like IC2 have a "cloudy feature," instead of just making the statements and leaving it at that. If you got the info, share it, because I think everyone here would find it enlightening, at the very least.

As for 100% player-proof bases, your only two real choices are either Thaumcraft or MFFS. That, or a lot of reinforced stone, including reinforced stone doors.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
I suppose I have been reading to many forum topics questioning IC2 now that more and more replacements are cropping up.
It's slightly similar in nature to how replacements for RP2 are popping up but there are still differences since IC2 is actually still being updated.

There are also clear divisions between when people joined and started playing, some can't seem to get past tekkit while others look towards newer mods.
It's just a different set of preferences, some will move on towards the future and some prefer to stick with the past.

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...ewolf20-build-will-you-bother-with-ic2.12414/

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/so-rumors-are-gregt-is-now-an-ic2-dev.29147/

Here are a few topics per your request, and it wasn't so much cloudy features as a cloudy future. The way mods are as far as future updates, more often then not its better to be standalone rather than an add-on.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
There are replacements for IC2? I wasn't aware of such a thing...I figured IC2 would, at bare minimum, keep itself updated and serve as a base for other mods to kinda springboard. Also, the 2nd thread seems more like "Greg interfering with IC2" stuff, getting people scared that all shall become GregTech, when if memory serves, he's mostly there for maintenance and performance upgrades. I have my own misgivings with Greg, the nuking of player's games because of a beef with a fellow mod author being chief among them, but if he's there to improve performance, I'm sure he could do just that. Hell, the only person I think that could do a better job than him in that regard is King Lemming.

I see it more as IC2 getting a much-needed spit polish instead of a fresh coat of paint. It'd be nice if it came with some new toys, but the ones it has works and its a good base off which to work if you don't want to go thru the hassle of designing your own energy system.

Reactions: Pokefenn

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
I was going for something along the lines of allowing multiple energy systems to interact is better than forcing one.

It wouldn't require re-inventing an entire power system in code just to make doors and walls act as a security system, just use of multiple api's and conversions on a single central conversion block similar in nature to the ME controller, would be one method of accomplishing it.

Not everyone likes BC, or IC2 or UE or even Electrodynamics so I feel it would be best to take advantage of all 4 worlds rather then rely completely on one, or even have the option to turn off all power requirements for that stand alone experience.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
As far as replacements are concerned most of them range from partial to expansive.

Atomic Science - nuclear power in both fusion and fission form
Electrodynamics - might actually end up replacing almost every feature of IC2 if you looked through its design documentation
Modular Power Suits - for of course the armor suit replacements
Thaumcraft, Buildcraft - give replacements for the mining operations
TE, Thaumcraft, Tinkers Construct, Mekanism - have replacements for ore processing
numerous other mods hold tool replacements

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Of course, I wasn't saying one should solely rely on one power system. If you can work with multiple systems, then that's cool. You can even make your own system, if you want to. I still fail to see how mods allowing the use of multiple forms of power clouds the future of a single one. If it clouds one, wouldn't it stand to reason that it'd cloud the others, as well? The same could be said for BuildCraft, after all. Thaumcraft's automining requires a lot of research and, without proper precautions, can have rather nasty adverse effects on the local environment. Damn near every tech mod has some kind of ore processing; even PowerCraft, which has no method of pulverizing and doubling ores, can still process ores using nothing but its own mod blocks. Ore processing is something everyone nowadays does, it seems. There are, of course, exceptions like vanilla BuildCraft, but its becoming much more common.

You can also use those mods in concert with IC2 to add on to it and allow them to play off one another for your advantage. After all, if you want different nuclear reactors, you could just as easily go with Big Reactors instead of either IC2 or Atomic Science. DartCraft also does armour, and if memory serves, so does Thaumcraft. More and more, I'm seeing people playing with mod packs as opposed to singular mods, hence the growing trend of balancing mods against one another to ensure fair play, like EE3 and the upcoming DynEMC mechanic. This forum itself is dedicated to a family of mod packs, and therein lies the fun: finding ways for the mods to play off eachother's strengths and weaknesses to provide an all-around richer experience.

Being one of the most ubiquitous mods out there, it'd take something pretty damned serious to oust IC2 from the position it holds. As it stands, its still kicking just like it used to; it might need a new coat of paint, but it still works and more is being put into making it work better as opposed to providing more toys, and thus, more performance issues and bugs. Honestly, I laud the IC2 team for this approach, because I think its the proper approach when your product has come to a feature-complete state. Once you've gotten what you want in it, making it all work better should be a priority, instead of tacking on more and more crap to appease the masses' growing infatuation with the "latest and greatest." That's the trap Mojang fell into, and it annoys the hell outta me.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
I still fail to see how mods allowing the use of multiple forms of power clouds the future of a single one. If it clouds one, wouldn't it stand to reason that it'd cloud the others, as well?

Probably because I didn't specify it in that manner. If support were to drop from IC2, an add-on's progress would come to a halt. If a mod pack didn't include IC2 the mod wouldn't work because it's an add-on. If it supported multiple sources of power or none at all this would not be the case and would be in general more flexible. I'm not saying nothing should be an add-on of IC2 as some things make sense to be an add-on, this just isn't one of them. Allowing mods the use of multiple power sources does not cut out one of them, deteriorating support and more advantageous methods overtime will. By cloudy there is no definite proof or reasoning that IC2 will be around and more advantageous than other mods of the time, its niche will not always belong to only itself, someone usually always does re-invent the wheel and if it happens to become better then there's no helping that.

Hence the reasoning behind: "I would probably stick away from IC2 add-ons since it's future looks a little cloudy, I would rather make it able to use multiple power sources and features of many mods." Although poorly worded I meant that if codded it should be able to stand on its own two legs and prepped for multiple situations including but not dependent on IC2.

Keep in mind there is a strong difference between being an add-on and a stand alone mod, add-on enforces dependency from a coding standpoint which means you can't live without it. By this point I was attempting to reason that if a mod were to add a stronger security setup fed by power it would be wise to allow it to work with any set of mods the user desired rather than depending on one. This coupled with the fact that not every mod pack wants IC2 and not every mod pack uses IC2 but some still want the features of security doors requiring power or requiring none.

By looking cloudy I also meant that with more choices comes more variety in play style, limiting a would be flexible mod to one is just bland. The point is not in dethroning IC2, its preparing for different situations because in reality even a mod like IC2 could succumb to abandonment or replacement and even the syndrome of being stuck on standby. Just like you find it infuriating that people chase after the appeal of "latest and greatest" I cannot stand when people ignore possibilities of the future under the guise of a tall tower, the phrase "oh that will never happen because....".

The entire idea I'm trying to push is add-on vs stand alone, don't get stuck on the thought of dethroning IC2 that's not what I'm after.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I just had an interesting, probably novel idea for item storage, inspired by a bug my server's admin encountered when trying to add a mod: liquid items! They can be stored the same way as any other liquid; BC tanks, Railcraft, XyCraft, GregTech, whatever you want. All you need in a little interface block on an access port which can read the amount of items stored in a particular buffer and you can (perhaps for a nominal energy cost of EU/MJ/whatever) order up any number of items, and it'll spit 'em out. Perhaps have the ratio of items to millibuckets of liquid item configurable all the way down to a 1:1 ratio, for maximum compression.

Liquid circuits, liquid machine blocks, liquid tanks (tankception?), liquid sticks! That'd be sooooooooo cool!

I'd make it's start up cost rather cheap. It could be a poor mans ME. You could have the start block be a [Deconstituter] Which reduces the item in to a liquid. And the [Reconstitution mold] to retrieve the item. Or have both functions in the same block.

Only problem with this idea is that the liquid dictionary would balloon to unmanageable levels.

[Info][Liqitemz]Adding LiqiudDirt
[Info][Liqitemz]Adding LiquidStone
[Info][Liqitemz]Adding LiquidCobble
[Info][Liqitemz]Adding LiquidSand
[Info][Liqitemz]Adding LiquidGravel
[Info][Liqitemz]Adding LiquidEct...
[Info] 9001 More.

Also how many milibuckets would represent an item? in the end a barrel system might end up better and it's lower tech.
If say most items where 1 mb per item it would be a great storage system as a mere glass tank could hold 16000 of one item where a barrel would only hold 4096.
But any amount past 1mb would make the system seem lesser then a barrel as 2 mb reduces it to 8000, 3 to 5000 so on and so on. Also you'd probably need a special pipe that is better for handling such low amounts of mbs.

Still a nifty idea if you can get past those problems.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I'd make it's start up cost rather cheap. It could be a poor mans ME. You could have the start block be a [Deconstituter] Which reduces the item in to a liquid. And the [Reconstitution mold] to retrieve the item. Or have both functions in the same block.

Only problem with this idea is that the liquid dictionary would balloon to unmanageable levels.

[Info][Liqitemz]Adding LiqiudDirt
[Info][Liqitemz]Adding LiquidStone
[Info][Liqitemz]Adding LiquidCobble
[Info][Liqitemz]Adding LiquidSand
[Info][Liqitemz]Adding LiquidGravel
[Info][Liqitemz]Adding LiquidEct...
[Info] 9001 More.

Also how many milibuckets would represent an item? in the end a barrel system might end up better and it's lower tech.
If say most items where 1 mb per item it would be a great storage system as a mere glass tank could hold 16000 of one item where a barrel would only hold 4096.
But any amount past 1mb would make the system seem lesser then a barrel as 2 mb reduces it to 8000, 3 to 5000 so on and so on. Also you'd probably need a special pipe that is better for handling such low amounts of mbs.

Still a nifty idea if you can get past those problems.

I'm wondering if you couldn't attach metadata to liquids like you can items and blocks. That way you just have LiquidItem { attached item data }. That way, you only ever use one ID for the liquids, and its much, MUCH more extensible and, therefore, easy to update and alter. As for the ratio of item to millibuckets of liquid items, I think I'd let that be configurable. Say your admin doesn't want you storing 16,000 of a single item in something with as paltry a cost as a BC glass tank; well, he can just adjust the ratio in the config, and make it so its a 1:4 item to millibucket ratio. The default, of course, would either be 1:1 or 1:2. With it being configurable, its up to the server admin, in SMP, or the individual user, in SSP, as to how compact they want it to be in terms of storage potential.

As for texturing the liquid itself, that's easy enough to do: attach a 32-bit integer to the liquid type that will represent the colour offset to apply to the basic RGB values of the texture itself. That way, you'd need, like...2 billion different items before you'd have colours repeat or, more likely, have the thing cause an overflow error and crash Minecraft.

Also, I think a low-pressure pipe could be implemented to handle such finite amounts of liquid, and you could even have a little tech tree where you end up with a logistics pipes-like storage system, only everything's a liquid!

Direct1221

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to have a mod made that would allow server bridging ( I own 5 servers, One for survival, one pvp, one creative, one VIP and one staff ). I would like a mod that would connect all those servers chat together. Just chat, nothing more.

I would be willing to offer $50-100 for a FTB working mod :)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to have a mod made that would allow server bridging ( I own 5 servers, One for survival, one pvp, one creative, one VIP and one staff ). I would like a mod that would connect all those servers chat together. Just chat, nothing more.

Dude, I think there is. I'm not 100% but I think the admin of one of my servers called it Bungee Cord? I mean we don't use it but they mentioned it.

Direct1221

Jul 29, 2019

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019

I'm not 100%, but I think ForgeIRC or somesuch does pretty much what you're asking for, as I've seen it in some of Direwolf20's videos (season 4 SMP, methinks) where Forgecraft 1 and Forgecraft 2 could talk to one another, along with the Forgecraft IRC channel.

What I would like, in a similar vein, would be a mod that'd allow one to hop between servers in-game, no having to exit the server you're in, go back to the list, blah blah blah, BORING! Just have a hotkey or something that will bring up your server list in-game and allow you to join one of them if they're up.

Reactions: Otho

Direct1221

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not 100%, but I think ForgeIRC or somesuch does pretty much what you're asking for, as I've seen it in some of Direwolf20's videos (season 4 SMP, methinks) where Forgecraft 1 and Forgecraft 2 could talk to one another, along with the Forgecraft IRC channel.

What I would like, in a similar vein, would be a mod that'd allow one to hop between servers in-game, no having to exit the server you're in, go back to the list, blah blah blah, BORING! Just have a hotkey or something that will bring up your server list in-game and allow you to join one of them if they're up.

Yes Forge does it, using 2 IRC bots, as well as their own IRC network. I would prefer to remove the IRC portion and just have it Server to server.

techno156

Jul 29, 2019

Actually, there is a bukkit plugin that lets you do that. :p A Vanilla server I play on uses it. As of their more recent update, you can type a command to go between servers, but it's a little buggy.

Yes Forge does it, using 2 IRC bots, as well as their own IRC network. I would prefer to remove the IRC portion and just have it Server to server.

Well, I think that'd be difficult, if the servers themselves are not running across the same server-net. :p But the IRC serves as a good in-between platform. :)