Manufactio - Minecraft/Factorio hybrid

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I've been working on putting Manufactio into an server environment so it can be played multiplayer, like Factorio can, but I keep running into a problem where the quest book is completely blank.

I've tried coping over the data from the DefaultQuests.json into the world's QuestDatabase.json but the file keeps reverting to a blank (aka no quests) state. I've also tried going admin on the server to edit the quest book directly and "import" the DefaultQuests.json file, but that doesn't work either. Everything else seems to work beautiful, but as you know the quest book is basically a requirement of this mod pack.

Any ideas how to get it working server-side?
Its an issue with the version of better questing and standard expansion. Manually update to the latest version and that should be fixed.
Next update (planned tonight) will resolve that.

ViperZeroOne

Jul 29, 2019
Its an issue with the version of better questing and standard expansion. Manually update to the latest version and that should be fixed.
Next update (planned tonight) will resolve that.

That's awesome, great work. I think I'll be impatiently waiting for the next update then so I don't have to force all the clients to manually update too... lol

Last edited:
T

thesmallwar

hey, just wondering how I check the boxes, can't get past the first quest because I click the checkbox and nothing happens.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Hi @Golrith! I was just wondering: you mentioned pollution in your comment in the WNIMMT about pollution - I'm really curious, how has that been implemented? Did you use Pollution of the Realms? Myself and another chap working on a pack together started using that but found it problematic in places, so I'm interested to hear what you've gone for! :)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Hi @Golrith! I was just wondering: you mentioned pollution in your comment in the WNIMMT about pollution - I'm really curious, how has that been implemented? Did you use Pollution of the Realms? Myself and another chap working on a pack together started using that but found it problematic in places, so I'm interested to hear what you've gone for! :)
Yes, using Pollution of the Realms.

PotR is quite flexible, but it requires mods to have NBT tags it can detect, so unfortunately there are machines that constantly produce pollution even if they are not running, and some that I cannot detect in anyway.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Yes, using Pollution of the Realms.

PotR is quite flexible, but it requires mods to have NBT tags it can detect, so unfortunately there are machines that constantly produce pollution even if they are not running, and some that I cannot detect in anyway.
Looking back, I think we realised that the pollution was punishing progression, which wasn't ideal. Its great for something Factorio-themed, but it was problematic for us. It got particularly annoying when going down a mineshaft lit by torches, and suddenly you're having problems :p

Reactions: LordPINE

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Yeah, I can see that. With MF there's zero need to go mining in the classic approach, there's just not enough resources.

I'd say disable pollution from torches, add pollution from lava sources, so the deep underground poses an extra challange. Restrict further pollution to heavy industrial technologies, turn off the grass bonemeal effect, and watch your surroundings turn to a wasteland. With pollutant pumps and filters you can clean up your mess. It's part of the message of my pack, pollution is easy to create, becomes a problem if not dealt with, and takes effort to clean up.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, just a quick question.

Yesterday I pushed research to open up the preheaters for the Improved Blast Furnace. After unlocking them, my game states that either the Coppercoil block or the External heater/Replacement of this in MF (Can't check which one it was, am afk at the moment) is still considered an 'unfamiliar item', for which to learn, according to the given gamestage number, I'd have to unlock the follow-up quest, that comes right after the preheaters quest. Which included blue research, somethig that I am nowhere near to mass produce. It was no big deal, as I could still craft them to build the preheaters, just somehing I noticed.

Did I miss a quest somewhere else?

[Edit]
Here's an album showing the quest numbers and recipes in question. It was the External Heater. Again, crafting works. It just obviously is still an unfamiliar item, unless one has done the follow up quest.

https://imgur.com/a/Pmym3Us

Last edited:

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Hi, just a quick question.

Yesterday I pushed research to open up the preheaters for the Improved Blast Furnace. After unlocking them, my game states that either the Coppercoil block or the External heater/Replacement of this in MF (Can't check which one it was, am afk at the moment) is still considered an 'unfamiliar item', for which to learn, according to the given gamestage number, I'd have to unlock the follow-up quest, that comes right after the preheaters quest. Which included blue research, somethig that I am nowhere near to mass produce. It was no big deal, as I could still craft them to build the preheaters, just somehing I noticed.

Did I miss a quest somewhere else?

[Edit]
Here's an album showing the quest numbers and recipes in question. It was the External Heater. Again, crafting works. It just obviously is still an unfamiliar item, unless one has done the follow up quest.

https://imgur.com/a/Pmym3Us
Hi!

Don't use the IE book for the recipes, use JEI, as they have been changed, and the IE book doesn't reflect those changes.

Reactions: 1 person

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Don't sweat it, since a player is still able to craft the preheaters. While we're at it, the Building Gadget does not recognize (or recognizes them wrong) the Hardened Stone and Bricks - it considers them as "air" / unselectable. I suppose that's either on Building Gadgets' side, or the way the Hardened Stone is implemented. (I installed Better Builders' Wands for now.)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Congrats Golrith! I'm pleased that you stuck with your project to the end and excited to poke around the pack. In fact, some initial questions & feedback:
* Mob entities aren't registering on WAILA. I'm more used to TOP these days; is this normal/desired? (What on earth are these jellyfish hanging from trees??)
* I've avoid Dynamic Trees in the past, but damn they look freaking cool.
* When a reward is a "command script", would it be possible to describe the reward in the description? I'm assuming its mostly progression unlocking under the hood, in which case "Unlocks further progression" would totally work for me.
* I have a black-on-red exclamation mark on bottom-right edge of screen. What's that?
* "Quick Start" -> "anyway" should be "any way"

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Congrats Golrith! I'm pleased that you stuck with your project to the end and excited to poke around the pack. In fact, some initial questions & feedback:
* Mob entities aren't registering on WAILA. I'm more used to TOP these days; is this normal/desired? (What on earth are these jellyfish hanging from trees??)
* I've avoid Dynamic Trees in the past, but damn they look freaking cool.
* When a reward is a "command script", would it be possible to describe the reward in the description? I'm assuming its mostly progression unlocking under the hood, in which case "Unlocks further progression" would totally work for me.
* I have a black-on-red exclamation mark on bottom-right edge of screen. What's that?
* "Quick Start" -> "anyway" should be "any way"
You are on an alien planet, so there are some differences. Wait till you meet the natives. (Mowzies Mobs adds the new fauna)
DT is cool, but a performance hitter. Needs all the optimisers added if used in a big pack.
99% of the command scripts are the researches you are unlocking. Those few at the start are just adding in some starter resources in the chunk you are standing in, in case RNG on the "ore gen" is against, you've got a little something to start working with.
The exclamation mark is an indicator by TechGuns that you have no armour on.

Don't sweat it, since a player is still able to craft the preheaters. While we're at it, the Building Gadget does not recognize (or recognizes them wrong) the Hardened Stone and Bricks - it considers them as "air" / unselectable. I suppose that's either on Building Gadgets' side, or the way the Hardened Stone is implemented. (I installed Better Builders' Wands for now.)
It might be thinking they're tile-entities, which are auto black listed.

Hmm, if they are classed as tile entities, that'll be an issue, as they would affect performance more especially as they are worldgen blocks.

Last edited:

Zephxyz

Aug 17, 2019
Sorry if this has already been solved, but even after completing the 'Machine Processing' quest which should give you stage P012 (Which I check and can confirm I do have said stage) I am unable to form the Metal Press structure. Would you be able to let me know what stage exactly the Metal Press is under so I can give it to myself through commands?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Golrith, what am I breaking if I re-enable a crafting table recipe? Using the automation work bench to make one-offs is driving me absolutely bonkers since all I'm doing is constantly wiping out existing recipes to do it. I don't understand what its supposed to be adding to the theme; it just feels like a massive QoL impairment so far.

For what its worth, and in the interests of full disclosure, I'm approaching this with very casual Factorio experience.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Golrith, what am I breaking if I re-enable a crafting table recipe? Using the automation work bench to make one-offs is driving me absolutely bonkers since all I'm doing is constantly wiping out existing recipes to do it. I don't understand what its supposed to be adding to the theme; it just feels like a massive QoL impairment so far.

For what its worth, and in the interests of full disclosure, I'm approaching this with very casual Factorio experience.
"Automation Work Bench"? I assume you mean the Forestry Work Table?
You don't have to wipe out previous entries, you can have 9 recipes saved and still use it like a normal crafting table (speaks from experience with Omnifactory...)

It's to force you to switch over to autocrafting with assemblers, and once you have key components setup, you can craft more work tables.
Was previously using craftable EFabs with global 10 second craft times, but found that to be very unreliable and it has issues. Now you are restricted to a single crafting table, but more enhanced.

Manual crafting in Factorio took time, and it was faster to have machines setup to do this.

Nothing will break by enabling the original crafting tables (restore the recipe and remove the stage lock in the scripts) but there is no need. You can also find vanilla crafting tables, which you can use where found, or if you can work out some way to get them back to your base.

Sorry if this has already been solved, but even after completing the 'Machine Processing' quest which should give you stage P012 (Which I check and can confirm I do have said stage) I am unable to form the Metal Press structure. Would you be able to let me know what stage exactly the Metal Press is under so I can give it to myself through commands?
P012 is the metal press, IE structures can be very "finicky" with forming when using the IE Stages mod. Make sure it's built right, and you are clicking on the correct block.

Zephxyz

Aug 17, 2019
"Automation Work Bench"? I assume you mean the Forestry Work Table?
You don't have to wipe out previous entries, you can have 9 recipes saved and still use it like a normal crafting table (speaks from experience with Omnifactory...)

It's to force you to switch over to autocrafting with assemblers, and once you have key components setup, you can craft more work tables.
Was previously using craftable EFabs with global 10 second craft times, but found that to be very unreliable and it has issues. Now you are restricted to a single crafting table, but more enhanced.

Manual crafting in Factorio took time, and it was faster to have machines setup to do this.

Nothing will break by enabling the original crafting tables (restore the recipe and remove the stage lock in the scripts) but there is no need. You can also find vanilla crafting tables, which you can use where found, or if you can work out some way to get them back to your base.

P012 is the metal press, IE structures can be very "finicky" with forming when using the IE Stages mod. Make sure it's built right, and you are clicking on the correct block.
Figured it out, just had to shift click the piston. Thanks!

Reactions: Golrith