What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
My other favorite new toy is the drill from Actually Additions. With speed, 3x3 and silk touch modules it's like walking through solid rock. Or dirt or sand. And veinminer for extra grabs. I setup a modpack with no quarries, so I do need to be a bit of a burrowing machine. Love the cleverness of the modders.

Also, with a loot bag opener over a hopper over an uncrafting grinder, it's like a bag of candy that never runs out.

I've gotten to the point where I intentionally try to avoid it anymore, because otherwise it'd be the only thing I use. A properly made super-tier paxel from Silent's Gems with the right enchants makes an almost-too-good alternative, as I learned in my latest playthrough.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
I give the credit for this one to Tsukiumy who gives me regular handy hints in my LP series. The actuality additions precision dropper can drop upwards. It can also push through a block! This means you can make something like a 6 sided growth accelerator in applied energistics with a precision dropper underneath the bottom block. The ranged collector can also pick up through blocks and has a built in white list so no need for further filtering :) with this you can make a very compact setup.

I've been posting a challenge in the comments of DW20 vids for ... seasons... challenging him to make any similar build in any of the possible ways...

Reactions: KingTriaxx
C

Closet Gamer

I've been posting a challenge in the comments of DW20 vids for ... seasons... challenging him to make any similar build in any of the possible ways...
I did a little tutorial video on it if you are interested but it sounds like you already know how to do it.
I wouldn't get disheartened, the guy gets bombarded with advice and opinions in every video he makes - I doubt he visits the comments very often.

------------------------
My Age of Engineering Series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUZaEaeCvlj6ChY3jks-N8rW74_3qEtmD

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Stupid easy thing, but one that I'm probably going to use more in Skyblock maps. With a little wrench work, you can point a piston downward and shove something to the next level. Handy for putting that block of Netherrack down a level from your Cauldron, Kettle or Crucible. Or possibly building a stairway down to your basement. (Less dodgy than water-scaffolds!)

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Stupid easy thing, but one that I'm probably going to use more in Skyblock maps. With a little wrench work, you can point a piston downward and shove something to the next level. Handy for putting that block of Netherrack down a level from your Cauldron, Kettle or Crucible. Or possibly building a stairway down to your basement. (Less dodgy than water-scaffolds!)
You know that a bucket of lava, and a bucket of water with a 1 block gap will build a pillar of cobble all the way to y=0. Super safe to pickaxe down and build lower basement levels. Just give the lava time to flow down before placing the water.

Also - Pistons by nature face away from the player. So the easy way to place a downward facing piston is to just place it the way you create a cobble tower: Jump and click while facing down.

Apologies - I don't know why I thought this: This is just an outright lie. Sorry for getting you'all's hopes up.

Last edited:

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
OMG, do you know how much I've gone through to place a piston just the right way when I could have just done that??

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
You know that a bucket of lava, and a bucket of water with a 1 block gap will build a pillar of cobble all the way to y=0. Super safe to pickaxe down and build lower basement levels. Just give the lava time to flow down before placing the water.

Also - Pistons by nature face away from the player. So the easy way to place a downward facing piston is to just place it the way you create a cobble tower: Jump and click while facing down.

I do this frequently, but sometimes you don't want the tower to void. ;)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'm not sure this is a discovery, or cool, necessarily. Also, technically it happened yesterday and not today and isn't technically a "thing", but this is still the most relevant thread for it:

I was stuck on how to work some things with my DE setup. So, I googled it. And found my answer! Right from this very forum! Written by ME, lol

I literally just google answered my own google question, back in time like a year and a half.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
So, I have this 'Mob Melter' setup to make Netherrack in IE. Thaumcraft has these mobs with various buffs. One of them spawned into the Mob Melter system - with a regen buff. The smelter does less damage per tick than the regen restores.

I have an immortal zombie supplying me with blood. I'm tempted to stick an actual nametag on him.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I'm not sure this is a discovery, or cool, necessarily. Also, technically it happened yesterday and not today and isn't technically a "thing", but this is still the most relevant thread for it:

I was stuck on how to work some things with my DE setup. So, I googled it. And found my answer! Right from this very forum! Written by ME, lol

I literally just google answered my own google question, back in time like a year and a half.

You didn't do that in public, did you? Googling yourself in public carries a 50 gold ingot fine and no less than 3 mos. in the nether... :D

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
So perhaps at some point in the future you get stuck in the past looking for the answer and wrote it to yourself so you'll find the answer and break the loop? Which of course breaks the loop of having gone back to write it, so either you're about to go splortch, or you're telling us to cement the event in the past so it doesn't break when future you doesn't go back. Genius.

C

Closet Gamer

So perhaps at some point in the future you get stuck in the past looking for the answer and wrote it to yourself so you'll find the answer and break the loop? Which of course breaks the loop of having gone back to write it, so either you're about to go splortch, or you're telling us to cement the event in the past so it doesn't break when future you doesn't go back. Genius.
Bill and Ted proved this by hiding the jail key where they would find it, thus freeing the historical figures and passing their history exam. Can't argue with historical facts.

------------------------
My Age of Engineering Series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUZaEaeCvlj6ChY3jks-N8rW74_3qEtmD