Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
What's the mod list? Last I knew it was Portal Gun, but assuming it's the pack in your sig I can't see if you have the list. Might also be the one that causes the fireworks on achievements.

signupsucks

Jul 29, 2019
I'm having trouble with slimes in PO2.

I built a basic vanilla-mechanic slime trap; however, my issue is that no slimes are spawning. I had one spawn while I was in the middle of construction, at the top of the wall to the left, but none since.

If I remove the light sources in the area, regular mobs will spawn, so it is not in range of any spawn-suppressing mechanics like worldspawn, my base's magnum torch, or too many mobs elsewhere.

The lowest level is at about y2, each level is 4y of air plus the floor (though if the levels were not tall enough then I would still see some spawning on the top floor), 4 levels without a roof. The spawning floors (including water channels) are the entire chunk, the falling areas and outside walls are in the adjacent chunks. The adjacent chunks behind the opaque walls are also slime chunks; I built cobble platforms there at y2 as well just to see if maybe my construction was interfering with spawning, but haven't seen any slimes there either.

There must be something simple that I'm missing or have done wrong. Any suggestions?

(I wanted to use slimes as a way of strong passive production of botania mana, something that always runs and requires no resources or upkeep. Failing, I suppose I would look at cake flowers instead.)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
What's the mod list? Last I knew it was Portal Gun, but assuming it's the pack in your sig I can't see if you have the list. Might also be the one that causes the fireworks on achievements.
Portal gun was the culprit. Funny effect, but bad for skyland worldgen having to wait for the chickens to slowly fall out of the world instead of exploding on ground.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Awesome.

@signupsucks Did you personally hang around so you're in range for mobs such as slimes to actually spawn? If not, I found Pam's Toast to be a very good method of generating power, especially if combined with Thermal Expansion's Trivection chamber to boost the bread output from flour.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Thanks, I will try the keypress method. I already tried pressing the buttons to switch between caves, above ground, night, and it did nothing... but it's certainly possible your solution only works with the keyboard. You also mentioned 1.10, except my experience is with Revelation which is a 1.12 pack. Also, I'm playing Direwolf20's modpack (also v1.12) which has NO problems with Journeymap... so this seems to be a pack-specific issue given your report of experiencing it in v1.10 modpacks.

I hit it with a custom pack running the latest version of the mod on MC 1.10. I’m wondering if it’s something with the newer versions of it, because when I updated it I started running into it. But if you aren’t hitting it in the DW20 pack then I’m at a bit of a loss as to what could be causing it.

signupsucks

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome.

@signupsucks Did you personally hang around so you're in range for mobs such as slimes to actually spawn? If not, I found Pam's Toast to be a very good method of generating power, especially if combined with Thermal Expansion's Trivection chamber to boost the bread output from flour.

More or less yes. It's within 128 blocks of my base (both in x/z and y ranges). Once I finished building I flew off ~ 30 blocks to see if slimes were going to be channeled properly, but none spawned, so I went away to work on other things. When I checked back later there still wasn't any (I hadn't set up anything to absorb/kill them yet either), at which point I became suspicious that something wasn't working right with their spawning and tried troubleshooting lighting/adjacent chunks/etc.

Yeah, I think I'll just fall back on something else. I'm well into midgame so I have plenty of other options for passive mana, but they all required more infrastructure (machines and power) than this, which would only have needed the flower, spreaders, blocks, and water.

Actually, it's a possibility that what I think was a slime chunk isn't. When I used the slime finder on chunkbase, the chunks it was indicating didn't match up with the ones showing up as (Slime) with the biome information in the upper left (not sure which mod is doing that). I attributed this to chunkbase being inaccurate due to the mods involved in my game, but maybe it was correct after all and what I think are slime chunks aren't. In fact, the one slime that I saw spawned would have spawned on the 4 blocks extending into the chunk to the back-left of the structure, which doesn't show as (Slime) in game, but does in the chunkbase slimefinder for this seed. So that probably explains it.

I'll try a platform in another area, trusting chunkbase this time instead of the in-game mod.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
More or less yes. It's within 128 blocks of my base (both in x/z and y ranges). Once I finished building I flew off ~ 30 blocks to see if slimes were going to be channeled properly, but none spawned, so I went away to work on other things. When I checked back later there still wasn't any (I hadn't set up anything to absorb/kill them yet either), at which point I became suspicious that something wasn't working right with their spawning and tried troubleshooting lighting/adjacent chunks/etc.

Yeah, I think I'll just fall back on something else. I'm well into midgame so I have plenty of other options for passive mana, but they all required more infrastructure (machines and power) than this, which would only have needed the flower, spreaders, blocks, and water.

Actually, it's a possibility that what I think was a slime chunk isn't. When I used the slime finder on chunkbase, the chunks it was indicating didn't match up with the ones showing up as (Slime) with the biome information in the upper left (not sure which mod is doing that). I attributed this to chunkbase being inaccurate due to the mods involved in my game, but maybe it was correct after all and what I think are slime chunks aren't. In fact, the one slime that I saw spawned would have spawned on the 4 blocks extending into the chunk to the back-left of the structure, which doesn't show as (Slime) in game, but does in the chunkbase slimefinder for this seed. So that probably explains it.

I'll try a platform in another area, trusting chunkbase this time instead of the in-game mod.

I also tried my hand at a Slime based Mana generation setup and had issued with it working intermittently. I saw a ton of Slime while setting it up, then once I had it in a near finished state, they stopped spawning altogether. I assumed something was screwing with it, so I finished my setup and went looking for the cause. After searching for a few hours with no luck, I abandoned it as a lost cause and moved on to another project. In the middle of that other project, I noticed my Mana was flowing, and upon checking, the Slime were spawning again. As the world progressed, I noticed several droughts of production, which I ended up fixing by odds and ends production and a very large Mana battery. Never figured out why the fits and starts occurred, but there may be hope for your system after all.

If you're not certain if you built in a Slime chunk, Botania has the little slime in a bottle thing that shows you where they are.

H

HululusLabs

FTB Revelation is said to have everything and the kitchen sink. Yet it is missing things like Buildcraft and Portal Guns and quarries (Extra Utilities 2 has one but it seems to be disabled). Should I just be patient and wait for an update to the pack?

Show me the sink!

M

MikW

FTB Revelation is said to have everything and the kitchen sink. Yet it is missing things like Buildcraft and Portal Guns and quarries (Extra Utilities 2 has one but it seems to be disabled). Should I just be patient and wait for an update to the pack?

Show me the sink!

I don't really know about the portal guns, but for quarry options you have Environmental Tech's Void Miners, RFtools builder (can quarry with the quarry shape card), and lasers from Industrial Foregoing (functions kinda similarly to MFR lasers.

Reactions: HululusLabs
H

HululusLabs

I don't really know about the portal guns, but for quarry options you have Environmental Tech's Void Miners, RFtools builder (can quarry with the quarry shape card), and lasers from Industrial Foregoing (functions kinda similarly to MFR lasers.
Thanks for the helps! There are a few other things I miss as well but these quarry options are going to help a lot!

signupsucks

Jul 29, 2019
I also tried my hand at a Slime based Mana generation setup and had issued with it working intermittently. I saw a ton of Slime while setting it up, then once I had it in a near finished state, they stopped spawning altogether. I assumed something was screwing with it, so I finished my setup and went looking for the cause. After searching for a few hours with no luck, I abandoned it as a lost cause and moved on to another project. In the middle of that other project, I noticed my Mana was flowing, and upon checking, the Slime were spawning again. As the world progressed, I noticed several droughts of production, which I ended up fixing by odds and ends production and a very large Mana battery. Never figured out why the fits and starts occurred, but there may be hope for your system after all.

In my case it looks like it was simply a case of whatever mod indicating that a chunk is a slime-biome in-game being wrong. When I created a platform located according to slime-finder, I had slimes spawning immediately. So this will let me fill a large mana battery while I'm working on other things for hours.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

Show me the sink!

As far as I understand it, Buildcraft still isn't ready for v1.12 yet. Same for EnderIO, which is why the modpack is missing these mods. In addition, its my opinion that these missing mods are the reason why the FTB team pushed back the v1.12 "Expert Mode" modpack.

Basically, v1.12 is NOT ready for prime time yet, but everybody has jumped the gun on it anyways. For me? I consider v1.7.10 modpacks to be the high point of modded Minecraft, and all subsequent versions won't live up to the hype. Another mod missing from v.1.10 modpacks and beyond is Thaumcraft, and my understanding is that the mod developer isn't even working on updating their mod at this time. The game is going downhill but nobody wants to admit it. When Notch sold out to Microsoft, that was the high point, and Microsoft will slowly but surely kill the game off over time. It's just what Microsoft has ALWAYS done, they're a total joke in my opinion. Look up Microsoft Flight Simulator and Links386 Golf, for two examples of top-selling game franchises that Microsoft ruined/killed off. They're a death sentence for any game they get their grubby corporate paws on...

Reactions: HululusLabs

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Right now I have my energy from my Imm Eng Lightning rod going into an EnderIO capacitor bank, then sent to my energy storage multiblock. But, going through the capacitor bank means that the fastest I can get that energy out of there is 5kps and in a good storm, the lightning can hit faster than the thing can drain. Any recommendations on a better mid-point to connect it to to get it out sooner?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Another mod missing from v.1.10 modpacks and beyond is Thaumcraft, and my understanding is that the mod developer isn't even working on updating their mod at this time.

Last I had heard, he was working on it, unless that's changed in the last couple of weeks.

I agree that 1.12 isn't quite done cooking yet, and that 1.7 was a high point, but give it a couple of months and 1.12 will be the only way to go for a while.

1.10.2 is still pretty damn solid.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Thaumcraft is being actively worked on my Azanor. It is a new version so expect it will take some time. But his github has been very active recently.

The main issue with 1.10.2 is that it was too short lived for everyone to get things updates to that version. So there is a lot of content missing. But it does sound like 1.12.2 will be the next 1.7.10. But time will tell.

Reactions: MikW

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
Right now I have my energy from my Imm Eng Lightning rod going into an EnderIO capacitor bank, then sent to my energy storage multiblock. But, going through the capacitor bank means that the fastest I can get that energy out of there is 5kps and in a good storm, the lightning can hit faster than the thing can drain. Any recommendations on a better mid-point to connect it to to get it out sooner?
unfortunately that type of build is always held back by the weakest part . the simplest solution is literally a better/bigger energy storage block, in the case of capacitor banks for ender io it can simply be add more banks to the multiblock (more total storage in an ender io capacitor multiblock = more rf per tick throughput)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
OH, the output increases with the number of capacitors? That's perfect! The lightning rod can only output 16k/t into the capacitor bank anyway, so I could just bump it up to 4 easy peasy.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yeah, input capacity is a cumulative total of the capacitors involved. Though note that beyond two, it's probably more efficient to jump up to a vibrant bank if you can afford it, because that will draw up to 25k per capacitor.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
The vibrant has 25k/t output on its own? I was just assuming it was capped at 5k as well.

Well, I could have saved you all some time if I wasn't just too lazy to make one in the first place. I just figured I didn't need the actual storage so I'd go cheap.