[1.10.2] Age of Engineering

T

THE_ENDER578

So... My guide won't work... the command, keybind, and icon in the inventory wont work... Is there any way to fix this?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Before I get to my latest progress, a question that has long bugged me: in videos, I often see someone using an interface with the EnderIO conduits where you can select the direction (North, West etc.): How the heck do you get that interface? I've never found out, and so I must click on the conduit connectors with my yeta wrench when configuring my conduits, which is OK most of the time but sometimes it's inconvenient (for instance if you must break a window to space in order to be able to see the conduit connector).

As for my progress.....I must say moving a complex automated base is a hellish amount of work. I basically spent the whole weekend doing it, and I'm still just *almost*done. The facilities still on Earth: my Diesel Generators, Refinery and Fermenter, which will either stay there or be dismantled without rebuilding it, because I don't need them anymore; my ore processing setup, which will suffer the same fate, since I can do much more space-efficient ore processing with Mekanism machines (Neotech would be even faster, but there are some ores Neotech machines can't process); my smeltery, which I'll have to rebuild in a smaller version since there was one machine component lately I couldn't make without it; my IC2 reactor, which I'll leave behind (won't even bother with cleaning up waste - sue me :p) since I now have enough HV solar arrays that I don't need it anymore (I can make plutonium with the replicator); and my apiaries, still distributed around different biomes and in the mining world, which will be supplanted...

...by Gendustry Apiaries. Yeah, I'll add that for different reasons: I have now been running 8 apiaries since Age 4, maybe 5, I don't recall, and I still don't have more than a quarter (may approach a third) of the royal jelly and pollen clusters I'll need for the creative vending upgrade. I'll try to get that without using Gendustry - maybe I can use the Atomic multiplier to duplicate a bin with 1000 of each in it - if so, I'll do the final achievement without using Gendustry, but I'll add it nonetheless: the more pertinent reason is that I want my base to be fully self-contained, meaning I want to be able to make/generate everything I need on my base, and since for some resources only bees can do that, I need to be biome-independent. Also, I don't want any livestock on my space station - I may be forced to have some chicken since I haven't found any way to make feathers, but I certainly won't bother with cows if I can at all avoid it. In general, I think the mod is very well in the spirit of the pack, if you use it very late in the game.

Now, two screenshots. I switched to Creative to make them because that way I don't have the giant space suit interface. I'll post a series of screenshots with more details once the station is finished, but beyond finishing my move, there is at least one medium-scale facility I still have to build (the TechReborn fusion reactor). I'll also look into the feasibility of a Mekanism fusion reactor, but IIRC, you'll need these giant solar evaporation towers that make lithium gas for that, and there will be no space for them on my base.

601_SpaceStation4.jpg

601_SpaceStation5.jpg

Notes:
(1) I switched from Transceivers to DE energy crystals for transporting power from my solar array, since if you have more transceiver transport capacity that power you generate (which is necessary for full utilization), some transceivers may run out of power and shut off. Also, ET solar cells are apparently transparent blocks - I had to route my DE energy connection through a solid block even though I encased the whole path with solid blocks.
(2) Jungle trees apparently have trouble growing in domes, so I switched to Acacias. Theoretically, I'll have to change all my AE2 recipes that use jungle wood (all of them, basically, which use any wood at all), but I don't think this game will last long enough that I'll run out of stored jungle wood. I'm going to have a non-permanent tree farm, and use the dome as recreation space if it's not running. I'll see which sort of mini-park I can come up with.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame
S

SnowZA

Started what I call the phase #2 of the build...

But before that, the big staircase was eating up a LOT of room and adding to clutter... so replaced it with Dark Steel ladder.

-=Wuffle=- !

I still have a ladder somewhere, but it doesn't even go to all the levels of my base any more. I've switched over to using EnderIO travel anchors - if they are directly above each other, you can use them as elevators, even without the staff of travelling. Stand on one, and crouch to go down a level, jump to go up a level.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
(1) My name starts with an "I", not with an "L". .

Duly noted, Ieldra :)

In regards to your question about the EnderIO conduits, this interface appears when you have the YETA WRENCH and SHIFT+ LEFT CLICK on a conduit with it.
I only discovered this myself during my base reconfig. You need to have the mouse cross-hair over the little cube bit of the conduit you want to work with.

It's very handy.

Oh, by the way.. your space station... seriously AWESOME :)

Space seems so far away....

I need to make so many capacitors... my brain hurts :( I absolutely need to sort out capacitors, because I have just realized that each tech level of machine cases needs you to make one of each level beneath it. Capacitors are a bit of a challenge for me as I keep running out of rose-red and garnets.

This is because... I sent all my void miner loot into the giant crusher didn't I? Yes I did... and all those lovely garnets got smashed up... silly Wuffle

@SnowZA I had NO IDEA that they worked like that... seriously might do that, but for now the EnderIO ladders are kind of cool.

To battle I go... having found the end portal.... loaded my trusty revolver with lots and lots of armour piercing bullets (I hope they work on the end dragon!) I set forth to slay the mighty beast.. remembering to bring a piston and a lever.

HMfAgbv.png

RkSerbe.png

YoAupeY.png

That was a tough fight, I've never killed the end dragon before and I died once... I had to build another staff of travel, which meant finding an Enderman near my base, grab some old gear, go back.. get my gear from my grave, then shoot out those tower things.. After stabbing the end dragon in the bum when he landed and being chased by those damned Ender men, I Finally, kill this thing...

The last shot is me posing for my Selfie, unbeknownst an Ender Man walked in front of me became aggro and started punching me, in the shot i'm running around and smashing the F5 key to get back to 1st person view, when I did I had ONE heart left...

Talk about defeat nearly being snatched from the Jaws of victory.... phew!

Now, from what I have read, I now need to find this weird little thing floating near the big island and throw an ender pearl through it...

Back in I go!... after a cuppa.

In terms of loot, got a ton of Ender pearls, some Ender lillies, end stone and a few other odds and ends, Got a bit dragon Egg, a heart thing and captured some of that dragon breath stuff...

Back into it I go!

-=Wuffle=- !

Last edited:
S

SnowZA

@SnowZA I had NO IDEA that they worked like that... seriously might do that, but for now the EnderIO ladders are kind of cool.

-=Wuffle=- !

EnderIO ladders certainly are cool, yea. I used them quite extensively in one of the previous packs I played. However, I kept getting stuck on them. Half way up a ladder, and then suddenly you can't go up or down, and have to just break the ladder you're on to be able to move again, or wait it out which could take a minute or two... It didn't happen all that often, but it was very irritating when it did. I went looking for alternatives because of it, and discovered that behaviour of the travel anchors. The ladders may or may not still have that problem, haven't checked, but that was a 1.7 pack, so it could quite easily have been fixed in the mean time.

The travel anchors have the added advantage that if you have the staff of travelling, you can just zap to them from some distance. Makes life much easier. If you're after the look of the thing, there is no reason you have to remove the dark steel ladders - they can still be there for looks or even accessing specific areas where you don't want to put too many travel anchors... And of course, you can stick a travel anchor in a painting machine to make it look like just about anything you would want, so they are quite easy to hide as well.

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I've got to second Wuffle on this one @Ieldra - your space station looks AMAZING :D

Re the Mekanism reactor, having just done this myself (albeit on 1.7.10 - but the current version should be the same) I may hopefully have some useful tips.

The Evaporation towers are now called Thermal Evaporation Plants, and there's a good reason for that. They no longer HAVE to have the solar generators - if you fill in the corners where the generators would go with more of the casing, that will also form the multiblock. You still need a source of heat though, and that's where the Resistive Heaters come in - they generate heat with electricity (you could alternatively use Fuelwood Heaters that take solid fuel), and that heat can be output using Thermodynamic Conductors - heat is input into the towers using the same type of valves that you import and export fluids with.

The tower does not need to be full height to work, height determines maximum temperature and thus speed of operation. Potentially you could use multiple shorter towers instead of one large one, and now they don't have to visually access the sky (if not using the Solar Generators), there are less limitations there.

The TEPs now make liquid lithium from brine, and that liquid lithium has to be decondensentrated into lithium gas before piping into Solar Neutron Activators. Fun fact: Solar Neutron Activators do not require power, but can take up to 8 speed upgrades, making them faster for no additional cost except for the resources needed to make the upgrades. When fully upgraded, they are rather fast, meaning you may not need as many as you'd think.

On the other side of it, at least 10 water pumps with filter upgrades and at least one speed upgrade in each should do you pretty well hopefully, depending on configs you may need more or less. That heavy water can go straight into Electrolytic Separators (I used 3 running in parallel) and you'll want those upgraded at least a bit, and that will directly produce your deuterium gas for the reactor.

You may know this already, but just in case: a hohlraum with D-T fuel (created in a chemical infuser) is needed when starting the reaction, but you only need to pump in deuterium and tritium separately to keep it going - an input rate of 6 or 8 (can't remember which) kept the temperature high and stable for me.

For power storage, because Mekanism uses its own power system only in AoE, you may want a decent sized energy storage - an ultimate cube is good, but if you want to go bigger the Induction Matrix is your friend. Your very expensive friend, mind. You'll need lithium dust for that; it may be different in AoE but in Regrowth, you make that from lithium gas in a Chemical Crystallizer - if your tritium production is going well you may find yourself with an excess of lithium gas, so that's a good place for it to go. The Matrix multiblock can handle the large output of power from the reactor, and give you a beefy source of Joules.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
I have my first RFTOOLS machine case... wondering what to build first?

@SnowZA Thanks for the tip, I'm going to build teleporter things now, so I can get back and forth from the end.

Got Elytra flight! Yay!

Kin1MXC.png

I must also, get into Bees. Flower production, I need so many read flowers... There has to be a way!

-=Wuffle=- !

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
No question...the builder. Then map out an 8x8 chunk area of the mining world and let your builder quarry go crazy. Just don't get a heart attack looking at the recipe for the quarry shape card.

Also, congratulations for beating the dragon and achieving Age 6. Things are going to get a lot easier now. With a few notable exceptions, it'll now be mostly about construction and less about "how the heck go I get the resources for this?"

BTW, don't worry about the capacitors too much. Once in Age 7, you'll be able to make them from UU-matter, which, while still technically expensive at about 400000 EU per capacitor if you're creating your UU-matter efficiently, is way cheaper, to say nothing of dramatically simpler, than before.

Edit:
Another thing. Ender bees don't need dragon eggs as "flowers" as in older versions of Minecraft. You can use chorus trees, which you can grow on Endstone from chorus flowers in any dimension. You only need to break the flower blocks themselves from the trees you find in the End to get them. Felling the whole tree will only get you chorus fruits.

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I've got to second Wuffle on this one @Ieldra - your space station looks AMAZING :D
Thanks :) I am quite satisfied with the way this is turning out, in fact. The only downside is that I may be forced to add another sphere. My recreation area is not big enough to serve double-purpose as a tree farm, looking quite cramped with trees in it - and the new sphere would have to be bigger as well since trees are going to look cramped in any 12-radius dome. I'm not sure how that will impact the aesthetics of the whole thing if I let it have an extra- big "tail sphere". As for the Mekanism reactor, if I can put my TechReborn reactor into the same lower half-sphere as my AE2 controllers, then I'll have a whole lower half-sphere free. Maybe that's enough, I'll have to look what kind of infrastructure I'll need.

The Evaporation towers are now called Thermal Evaporation Plants, and there's a good reason for that. They no longer HAVE to have the solar generators - if you fill in the corners where the generators would go with more of the casing, that will also form the multiblock. You still need a source of heat though, and that's where the Resistive Heaters come in - they generate heat with electricity (you could alternatively use Fuelwood Heaters that take solid fuel), and that heat can be output using Thermodynamic Conductors - heat is input into the towers using the same type of valves that you import and export fluids with.

The tower does not need to be full height to work, height determines maximum temperature and thus speed of operation. Potentially you could use multiple shorter towers instead of one large one, and now they don't have to visually access the sky (if not using the Solar Generators), there are less limitations there.

The TEPs now make liquid lithium from brine, and that liquid lithium has to be decondensentrated into lithium gas before piping into Solar Neutron Activators. Fun fact: Solar Neutron Activators do not require power, but can take up to 8 speed upgrades, making them faster for no additional cost except for the resources needed to make the upgrades. When fully upgraded, they are rather fast, meaning you may not need as many as you'd think.

On the other side of it, at least 10 water pumps with filter upgrades and at least one speed upgrade in each should do you pretty well hopefully, depending on configs you may need more or less. That heavy water can go straight into Electrolytic Separators (I used 3 running in parallel) and you'll want those upgraded at least a bit, and that will directly produce your deuterium gas for the reactor.

You may know this already, but just in case: a hohlraum with D-T fuel (created in a chemical infuser) is needed when starting the reaction, but you only need to pump in deuterium and tritium separately to keep it going - an input rate of 6 or 8 (can't remember which) kept the temperature high and stable for me.
Thank you for the info. Hmm...that looks like a lot of infrastructure for a space station. I'll watch some videos, then I'll have an estimation about the space requirements. Mind you, this is still nothing compared to a ReactorCraft fusion reactor. Including the supporting infrastructure, that would take up all space I would have in my station if it was all continuous space rather than separated spheres, on three levels.

For power storage, because Mekanism uses its own power system only in AoE, you may want a decent sized energy storage - an ultimate cube is good, but if you want to go bigger the Induction Matrix is your friend. Your very expensive friend, mind. You'll need lithium dust for that; it may be different in AoE but in Regrowth, you make that from lithium gas in a Chemical Crystallizer - if your tritium production is going well you may find yourself with an excess of lithium gas, so that's a good place for it to go. The Matrix multiblock can handle the large output of power from the reactor, and give you a beefy source of Joules.
Tbh, this would be a luxury project, since I have no idea what I'd need all that power for since it isn't possible to export it to other mods in this pack. With the Atomic Multiplier, there'll always be something interesting you might want to burn 1.5 billion RF for, but within Mekanism alone? No idea.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Thank you for the info. Hmm...that looks like a lot of infrastructure for a space station. I'll watch some videos, then I'll have an estimation about the space requirements. Mind you, this is still nothing compared to a ReactorCraft fusion reactor. Including the supporting infrastructure, that would take up all space I would have in my station if it was all continuous space rather than separated spheres, on three levels.
No problem :) yeah, its definitely a fair bit of stuff to have. And its not super necessary to have it on your base, when you can have a chunkloaded area on the ground and teleport the liquids up via whatever method you like.

Tbh, this would be a luxury project, since I have no idea what I'd need all that power for since it isn't possible to export it to other mods in this pack. With the Atomic Multiplier, there'll always be something interesting you might want to burn 1.5 billion RF for, but within Mekanism alone? No idea.
Oh absolutely. It would be power for power's sake, really - I just wanted to mention it as I'm not sure any of the other methods of storing Mekanism power can accept at the rate that the reactor outputs at - and all that means is that the energy buffer will fill up! The reactor itself isn't really needed, as ethylene in gas-burning generators can produce more than you'll ever need :) I just like the reactor because you're basically making power from water. Water -> Heavy Water -> Deuterium, and Water --> Brine --> Lithium -->Tritium. For both, you only need water, power for some machines, and sunlight for others.

S

SnowZA

@SnowZA Thanks for the tip, I'm going to build teleporter things now, so I can get back and forth from the end.

Got Elytra flight! Yay!

I must also, get into Bees. Flower production, I need so many read flowers... There has to be a way!

-=Wuffle=- !

Nice! You've mostly caught up with me in the pack now - I haven't had much time to play in the last couple of weeks. I have the RFTools machine case as well, and have made some storage related blocks (storage scanner and modular storage) and some powercells with linking cards (hooray for inter-dimensional power transfer, finally).

Anyway, one possible (and easy) option for getting the rose red, is beetroot... That's the route I've gone. I stuck a beetroot in a garden cloche for a while, and currently have a nice backlog of red. :D

Now of course, I'm working towards getting that pattern storage made so I can advance to the next age and start making capacitors and machine casings of all types easily. I already have a reactor and recycler feeding a mass fabricator, so I'm busy slowly building up a supply of UU matter.

The project that I still have to tackle next is sorting out my base. Up till now, everything has just been shoved in wherever it fits. This was fine when there were only a few machines, but now that there are more and more of the things, it's starting to get a bit insane. I have an IE sub-basement which is fairly neat, but all the other machines are just jumbled in together. I had a few minutes to play last night and discovered that I can't find a couple of my machines any more. Now that I have the powercells, I wanted to go out and try out the IE core sample drill. I built one a while ago, and tried it on a few chunks around my base, but didn't have any convenient way to get power to it. Now that I do, I can't find the drill any more! I know I left it set up in my base somewhere, but yea. I spent 10 minutes looking for it, and then just made a new one.

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
Ahh, that 1st machine frame for RFTools. Mine went straight into the recipe for pattern storage. 2nd one was sacrificed to the scanner. Haven't had to craft any since. Spent like 20 seconds in the entire age. This seemingly fast move was the result of my ineptitude in realizing the replication process was not indeed attainable in age 5. I checked every recipe and process in the line, except the pattern storage, which I figured to be 'some kinda chest'. Needless to say I spent way too much time on infrastructure for a process that I was two ages away from realizing. I mean really, a jug of UU juice in age 5- I was essentially forced to push on through. So it was off to the end with me, which brings us full circle, back to the 1st sentence of my comment.

S

SnowZA

Yea, that sounds very familiar. :D I also spent a lot of time getting my UU matter production going, and then couldn't make the pattern storage. I have just about everything else I need to do the replication, I just still need to make the pattern storage. And now, I'm actually in a position where I actually can make the pattern storage, just haven't actually gotten around to it yet. *sigh* Focusing is difficult... :p

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
Focusing is difficult, so much to do. Actually for me it is one of the many allures to this pack. In what seems a rather linear progression, you have tremendous latitude in what you want to focus on, or which means you will use to accomplish your goals. At this point, one needs to be thinking hard about the molec. transformer or maybe what to do with all this plutonium (oh I need a lot more plutonium). But maybe I'll fiddle with this calculator stuff for a bit...

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
I have tried to do as much as possible inside each age before moving onward. To learn about the mods and so forth, leldra's screenies inspired my big IE basement.

EnderIO's storage system is something I never used before, but now I am using it, I find it amazing, now everything is in it's place and easily accessible, I've built a 'common bus' of EnderIO conduits around my base now and can 'plug in' machines whenever I need to. I had forgotten the joy of having item, fluid, power and redstone conduits all traversing a single block. I just wish a common bus of fluid conduits could carry multiple fluids at the same time. I've now got inventory panels around my base where I can craft what I need, am also making the wireless one (though it's limited to a number of chunks away, but that still encompasses my base.

I need to get the resource miner going, hopefully it can help me with my Obsidian shortage.

I'm getting worried about my paltry EU energy output, i'm only putting out 128EU from 2 low voltage solar arrays...

I need to make BIG EU to start making UU matter for replication, I assume that means i'm going to have to into nuke reactors?

If so, I think i'll need to make a whole new area just for that.

-= Wuffle =- !

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I'm getting worried about my paltry EU energy output, i'm only putting out 128EU from 2 low voltage solar arrays...

I need to make BIG EU to start making UU matter for replication, I assume that means i'm going to have to into nuke reactors?
There are two different issues here:

(1) Plutonium. At some point, you'll need quite a bit of that, though I don't recall for what exactly. Plutonium you'll get from centrifuging spent uranium fuel cells, or from UU-matter. Making plutonium from UU-matter, however, is expensive. I had been running two reactors constantly ever since I reached Age 7 for about 200 pieces (full pieces, not tiny ones), and then had to make another stack from UU-matter for some project I don't recall. You might be able to avoid the need, but it's nice to have some in stock should you need it.

(2) Power. Reactors are good, but two reactors won't be enough in order to run the matter fabricator and four recyclers at their optimal speed. Also, long-term you might want a simpler form of EU generation. Which presents itself - now that you can run an RFTools builder quarry! Making HV solar arrays is mainly a matter of resources. With approximately 5000 iron, 2000 copper, 2000 tin and 6000 rubber apiece, among smaller amounts of some other stuff, you can make them from cheap resources (assuming you have a rubber tree farm, which I recall you do have, correct?), just from a lot of them. Back in Age 7, I set up RFTools autocrafters to make the components. I had some trouble autocrafting the RE batteries, so I made them semi-automatically - if you take them out of a crafting interface, for instance a storage scanner's, by right-clicking the output box, they do stack. I posted a screenshot with the exact resource requirements for an HV solar array a few pages back. I now have six of them - in space, where it's eternally day :) - and left my reactors behind to pollute the environment :p

Ah, here's the HV solar screenshot so you'll know what you need:

601_HVSolar.jpg

Last edited:
S

SnowZA

Focusing is difficult, so much to do. Actually for me it is one of the many allures to this pack. In what seems a rather linear progression, you have tremendous latitude in what you want to focus on, or which means you will use to accomplish your goals. At this point, one needs to be thinking hard about the molec. transformer or maybe what to do with all this plutonium (oh I need a lot more plutonium). But maybe I'll fiddle with this calculator stuff for a bit...

Focusing? I'm an absolute master at focuSQUIRREL!!!!

What was I saying?

Oh well. I guess I'll rather just talk abSQUIRREL!!!

Seriously, though, focusing. I start each play session with a proper goal in mind. And a determination to just focus on that. So my goal is the pattern storage... 4 hours later, I have a soul binder, I've bred up stickreed, expanded the nuclear reactor, improved my mob grinder, hunted some blazes, built a couple of rftools power cells, made an electric jetpack (still have to upgrade that to one that can use rf), and not made any progress at all on the actual pattern storage.

S

SnowZA

I have tried to do as much as possible inside each age before moving onward. To learn about the mods and so forth, leldra's screenies inspired my big IE basement.

EnderIO's storage system is something I never used before, but now I am using it, I find it amazing, now everything is in it's place and easily accessible, I've built a 'common bus' of EnderIO conduits around my base now and can 'plug in' machines whenever I need to. I had forgotten the joy of having item, fluid, power and redstone conduits all traversing a single block. I just wish a common bus of fluid conduits could carry multiple fluids at the same time. I've now got inventory panels around my base where I can craft what I need, am also making the wireless one (though it's limited to a number of chunks away, but that still encompasses my base.

I need to get the resource miner going, hopefully it can help me with my Obsidian shortage.

If so, I think i'll need to make a whole new area just for that.

-= Wuffle =- !

Heh... I have never used EnderIO storage - I skipped over it in this pack as well, and went straight to the rftools storage scanner. Can't wait to get to AE2.

Stick a purple lense on that resource miner to focus it for obsidian. It's a bit slow, but if your server is running over night, it builds up.

I also have concerns about my EU production - I've got a nuclear reactor going now feeding it, but I haven't gone heavily into solar yet. I only have 16EU/t coming in from solar at this point. I really need to work on expanding that, but I didn't have a tree farm set up (apart from one I had to manually go and harvest every now and again), so I had a severe shortage of rubber for making the things. I have bred up stickreed now, though, so I have a drawer overflowing with resin, so that isn't a problem any more. I just need to actually go and make the solar panels now... I mainly went with the reactor early on because I knew that plutonium was going to become a thing later in the pack. I've run it several cycles now as a single chamber reactor producing about 100EU/t and gotten a couple of bits of plutonium out of it, and have now expanded it to full 6 chamber reactor, but I really need to sort out my wiring and move my machines to somewhere logical.

Stickreed is something I never even knew about before this, so that was new for me. I never even realised before this that IC2 had a whole Agricraft like plant mechanic. The reeds do appeal to me a lot more than having a tree farm, though - it's just neater and easier to control/automate.

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
EnderIO's storage system is something I never used before, but now I am using it, I find it amazing, now everything is in it's place and easily accessible,

I really like the Ender IO storage system as well, it reminds me of logisitics pipes in many ways but without the ability to see your items flying around your whole base :(. Once you figure it out then everything autosorts and the wireless crafting makes getting that "one" thing you forgot less of a hassel.

As for obsidian, at this point a resource miner is good for you, but for anyone at an ealier stage or wants dedicated obsidian production then Actually Additions has a super easy setup to do that.

Put flowing water somewhere, I prefer a short waterfall into a hole. Then put a fluid placer so that it will output into any block that is adjacent to the flowing water, then place a block breaker facing into that same block. Now just bring over a tank of lava have it output into the fluid placer and then come back to collect your stack(s) of obsidian when you need it.

Thinking about it there are other mods with fluid placers now too, so this could also be done with an Immerisve Engineering fluid outlet or with IC2 machines, regardless of which mod you choose once you set it up it will be able to create obsidian much faster then trying to automate it through a Tinker's smeltery.