[1.10.2] Age of Engineering

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Ahhh, Thanks, I had no idea it was an addon to IE, shame really it's not in this pack / version. It was a lot of fun, I've automated coke coal production as much as possible, but it is an extremely slow process. I am short on ender pearls, so I think i'll focus on EnderIO a bit more and get some mob spawning / killing going on, build up ender pearls and so forth, then head off to the end, where i'll need to obtain things for moving onto the next age.

-=Wuffle=- !
Sounds like an excellent plan Wuff, there's a couple of ways you can go with spawning and I don't know the score on whether one is better than another, but a common route I've seen is:

Soul vial, capture an enderman, combine with any broken spawner you have in a soul binder, then combine that with the general powered spawner block in an anvil.

Alternatives include:

Using the Actually Additions spawner changer to capture an enderman, then use it to change a spawner in world, break it, and use that directly with the powered spawner as above.

Changing the spawner with the changer in world as above, but then applying a Drop of Evil to turn it into a Resturbed Mob Spawner (dropped as an item when the DoE is used) and place that at your base.

C

Closet Gamer

Ahhh, Thanks, I had no idea it was an addon to IE, shame really it's not in this pack / version. It was a lot of fun, I've automated coke coal production as much as possible, but it is an extremely slow process. I am short on ender pearls, so I think i'll focus on EnderIO a bit more and get some mob spawning / killing going on, build up ender pearls and so forth, then head off to the end, where i'll need to obtain things for moving onto the next age.

-=Wuffle=- !
Enderman farm is good fun to build - I love the premise of EnderIO. Essentially using zombie brains as contrillers :D the killer Joe is a cool block aswell.

Make a blaze farm whilst you're at it, your going to be needing blaze rods for fire diamonds going forwards.

------------------------
*Never be afraid to ask when you do not understand*
------------------------
My Age of Engineering Series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUZaEaeCvlj6ChY3jks-N8rW74_3qEtmD

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Enderman farm is good fun to build - I love the premise of EnderIO. Essentially using zombie brains as contrillers :D the killer Joe is a cool block aswell.

Make a blaze farm whilst you're at it, your going to be needing blaze rods for fire diamonds going forwards.

------------------------
*Never be afraid to ask when you do not understand*
------------------------
My Age of Engineering Series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUZaEaeCvlj6ChY3jks-N8rW74_3qEtmD
Yeah, its definitely worth mentioning again that the Killer Joe armed with the Ender sword helps with killing the endermen.

Also as side points: The resturbed mob spawner has redstone control (so can be turned off) and can have the ExU2 speed upgrades (which need grid power) - as far as I know it does NOT need RF though. However its subject to the same restrictions as vanilla spawners in terms of light levels and needing you to be nearby for spawning, I think.

Reactions: Closet Gamer

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
@WuffleFluffy
Yes, the Arc furnace is quite nice to have in spite of being power-inefficient compared to most other machines. The big drawback is that electrode replacement is designed to be not automatable. I suspect RFTools Control can do it anyway, but it's definitely not simple.

As for mob farms, I've had EnderIO powered spawners for Zombies (heads and rotten flesh for nutrient distillation which you'll need for various stuff down the line), Blazes (you'll need a lot of blaze rods and powder down the line) and Wither Skeletons, and a Resturbed Spawner as described by GamerwithnoGame above for Endermen. A regular powered spawner for Endermen is so expensive to run with any kind of capacitor that it's worth the work and expense to use a Spawner Changer. You might want a powered spawner for Creepers, too, but gunpowder only becomes necessary in larger quantities in Age 13, and by then I found it easier to make a batch of 4k gunpowder from Netherrack in an IC2 molecular transformer.

I found changed and Resturbed spawners to be extremely efficient since they require no RF power and low XU2 grid power (I don't know if the spawner itself requires grid power or if it's just the speed upgrades that definitely do), but the AA spawner changer is extremely hard to get before you can fly since you need to break 4 spawners and collect the shards from them to make a changer for a fifth one (it's a one-time-use item), and later in the game power isn't so much of a problem.

BTW, I have achieved.....Age 14:
601_Age14.jpg

There had been a problem with crafting the Angel Ring - it just didn't want to appear in the output box, but inexplicably that went away after restarting the pack. BTW, that walkthrough someone posted some pages pack said that the TR Vacuum Freezer didn't need an ice shard to make. Well, I'm glad I trusted JEI and the official guide more, since it absolutely does require one. Fortunately, the required bee is just one step from Imperial/Industrious.

MatunasCraft

Jul 29, 2019
I am having trouble early game. I can't seem to power anything with immersive engineering wires, especially the empowerer and termionic fabricator. Does anyone know why this is? Is there a work around. Currently I am using the peat-fired engine and it is awful.
Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply. Powering anything with the Immersive Engineering wires requires Connectors on the power source and what you want to power. But even though you can start or end on a Connector, you can't transfer power THRU a Connector. You need a Relay for that. Connector -> Relay -> (more Relays) -> Connector.

As a special case, the Thermionic Fabricator will continually drain power unless you give it a redstone signal. Alternately, the IE wires has a Breaker Switch, which can activate on a redstone signal. Here's a pic showing that setup: Thermionic Power

The red line is the power in from a Relay. The Blue line is to the Connector on the Thermionic Fabricator. The Green switch is required to turn it on or off.

FYI, the switch in that pic actually shuts the door when I turn on the Thermionic Fabricator...which was unintended, but still kinda funny.

Last edited:
Reactions: WuffleFluffy

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
:)
I solved the problem of keeping entangled singularities in stock with.....RFTools Control. A nice and most importantly compact solution, the logic requires just one additional block:

The level emitter on the first screenshot below is set to emit redstone if the number of entangled singularities drops below X. The RFTools processor is nestled between the interface below, which exports singularities, ender pearl dust and tiny TNT, the precision dropper on the right, which will drop anything it gets into the small pit below, and the phantom placer which will place anything it gets on the bottom of the pit. The RFTools program runs every 10 ticks, checks the redstone value coming in from the conduit and continues only if the value is above 1. Then it takes 4 ender pearl dust and 4 singularities and puts them into the dropper and takes one tiny TNT and places it into the phantom placer. Finally, it waits 7 seconds to give the TNT time to explode before a new cycle can begin. This creates 8 entangled singularities per cycle, since I didn't want to use up a TinyTNT every time I use a pair of singularities. The lever that activates the TNT is always on since there is no need to change it.

601_sing1.jpg

601_sing2.jpg

601_sing3.jpg

My first attempt at RFTools Control. I'm satisfied. Programming isn't exactly new to me, but the devil's in the details. Tbh, I'd rather write the code behind it directly, but this works, too.

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Is there a mod in the pack that can help me with constructing large-scale domes and spheres? RFTools shield generators can make spheres, but it isn't possible to replace the shield blocks with normal blocks while the shield is active. If RFTools were current, I could make my space station using connected shields as walls, that would be really nice, but the version in the pack does not yet support that feature, and upgrading crashes the game on world load after you've built some shields.

Else I might have to add OpenBlocks to the pack temporarily (which fortunately has now been ported, though it's still in beta) and use the Building Guide.

Last edited:

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Nice work on the automation solution :)

As for large scale domes etc... Not sure, but check DireWolf 20's AOE series, though I've not watched that far ahead, I see in my feed one of his last videos where he seems to have built a space station using lots of spheres/domes, maybe check those later episodes out?

Also, any ideas for automating Obsidian production, I co-opted my smelters, with some tanks, a redstone clock and a hopper and this seemed to work.. in fact other than tinkers tools I don't really use it anymore...

2017-11-24_21.38.28.png

-=Wuffle=- !

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
As for large scale domes etc... Not sure, but check DireWolf 20's AOE series, though I've not watched that far ahead, I see in my feed one of his last videos where he seems to have built a space station using lots of spheres/domes, maybe check those later episodes out?
He built his domes off-screen, so there's no help here - I suspect he used non-AOE tools or mods as well. Though my design is rather similar to his unfortunately. I aim to be more three-dimensional, but with domes and spheres made mostly of glass, I'm afraid my station will have some similarity to his. I was watching the episode where he built his energy core, since there's nothing to spoil there for me, I know that very well and have used the DE energy system extensively before.

Also, any ideas for automating Obsidian production, I co-opted my smelters, with some tanks, a redstone clock and a hopper and this seemed to work.. in fact other than tinkers tools I don't really use it anymore...
I don't need to automate obsidian production since my Void Resource Miner gives me enough of it :p
Having said that, you may be able to use a similar setup to the one required for automating IC2 basalt production: a fluid placer placing lava source blocks at the end of a line of flowing water.

As for resources, has anyone found a way to make congealed blue slime or blue slimeballs from renewable resources? Lately I had to make so many IC2 advanced circuits that it seriously cut into my stock. I have plundered three slime islands already and there are more, but this is not satisfying. The same applies to red dye (Rose Red). I had one crafting process where I needed 33 additional blocks of Empowered Restonia Crystal. And I thought my stock of 128 I made back in Age 6 would carry me through the game after I discovered I didn't actually need it to make Basic Capacitors in Age 8 and up.

While I'm at it: does anyone know if the Atomic Multiplier can multiply dragon hearts?

Last edited:

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
I need to re-focus tomorrow night, i'm resorting to piling up crates full of resources... My server runs 24 x 7 and even a Tier 1 void miner left running can produce a lot of stuff.

My 'IE Basement' is pretty much done now, It's getting very, very full.

I am now at the stage where I need to expand the base, I need to set up a properly organised storage area, an EnderIO area and a place for mob spawning / grinding.

The big basement area is now doing it's job, generating power, processing material and resources.

-= Wuffle =- !

Last edited:
S

SnowZA

I need to re-focus tomorrow night, i'm resorting to piling up crates full of resources... My server runs 24 x 7 and even a Tier 1 void miner left running can produce a lot of stuff.

-= Wuffle =- !
I'm in a similar situation, and only slightly ahead of you in the pack. My server was also running 24x7. Resources overflowing, nowhere to put them. Not really a bad problem to have... I'm up to age 7. I've got my void miner upgraded to Tier 2. Definitely worth doing - without upgrades, it isn't any faster than a tier 1 miner, but it uses half the power. Once I get more automation set up, I can see the resources being used faster than they're being produced... But that is still a way of, I think.

I got the ender pearls with a drop of evil. I made a nice dark room with vector plates, turned the ground into cursed earth with the drop of evil and stuck a bunch of diamond spikes at the end of the room. Now I have an upgraded drawer full of ender pearls, and as a nice side effect, a drawer full of zombie flesh for nutrient distillation, drawers full of heads, gunpowder, etc. All I really need now is blaze and wither skeleton spawners in there as well, and I'll have all the mob resources I need for a while. Oh yea... And I still have to figure out ghast tears. I've just been to the end and gotten myself an Elytra, so that should be a lot easier to do now as well.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014

-= Wuffle =- !
You do know that a redstone signal to the controller will stop it from running, right?

@SnowZA :
Yeah, I'd also like to automate ghast tears. The thing is, I could build an EnderIO ghast spawner easily, I just resent the additional space required. My current base is somewhat cramped, though not as badly as Wuffle's.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Phew...that was quite a bit of work, and cost a great deal of aluminium and glass, but my new house, empty as it is as yet, already looks quite nice... I just hope I didn't build too small for everything that needs to go into it. I can always add modules, but that would, at some point, have a price in aesthetics.

601_SpaceStation1.jpg

601_SpaceStation2.jpg

601_SpaceStation3.jpg

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Phew...that was quite a bit of work, and cost a great deal of aluminium and glass, but my new house, empty as it is as yet, already looks quite nice...

Awesome :)

Actually I did try the Redstone signal to turn off the void miner, it didn't work... I had to break the cable connecting it to the power network.

Resolved this issue with a server reboot... one of those weird bugs that sometimes pops up I guess, but appreciate the tip!

Looked up my inventory (Mess) and found a drop of evil.... cursed earth, I like that idea. I concur with leldra's findings on powered mob spawners and Ender men, huge power drain. I hope cursed earth can spawn ender men, will find out shortly, am building my 'death room' now.

@Leldra, I've tried searching this thread, but thought I would ask, what texture pack(s) are you using? I've noticed that you seem to be running SOARTEX, similar to me, yet many of your tools and other blocks have non default textures, did you find additional textures for TC and other mods somewhere?

@Leldra, in regards to slimes... I've not tried this before, but have you tried capturing one in a soul vial and using a powered spawner on it? If you can get a slime to appear this way, perhaps that will help you with auto-grinding slimeballs?

A general question for people, I've set up my mob farm of doom, with some filtering using Ender-IO conduits i'm now capturing what I want and trashing all the junk.

2017-11-25_19.28.14.png

I have also decided that I'll some power across and get started on Nutrient Solution for other EnderIO needs.

To this end I've deployed 'The Vat', given it power and am sending it all the rotting flesh from the mob drops, a 2 x 2 reservoir supplies water. I thought I would try to plant a sugar cane farm in a little room at the back to supply sugar to a SAG MILL, that would keep 'The Vat' in supply of sugar, this way I could have an decent supply of Nutrient Solution.

2017-11-25_23.33.57.png 2017-11-25_23.33.54.png

However, perhaps I'm being a bit slower than normal, because the sugar cane's aren't growing, I've given them plenty of room, there's light in the room and water source blocks next to where the EnderIO farming station has planted them.

2017-11-25_23.28.07.png

I could set up the farm up on the surface and pipe material down, but thought this would save on conduits... Is this normal or am I doing it wrong?

(EDIT)

Silly me, I hadn't noticed that the Ender IO machine needs to fill each of the four slots for the crop before they become available for piping out and going into it's inventory buffer. Just a matter of time.

2017-11-26_00.09.41.png

-=Wuffle=- !

Last edited:

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Started what I call the phase #2 of the build...

1. Expand and tidy up of Immersive Engineering Basement
2. Establish inventory system
3. Start Setup a dedicated crafting area
4. Complete Mob spawner for regular mobs
5. Begin to Prepare for the journey to the... End... (begin scary music...)

After a bit of working around, here's how we're looking so far.

nfWj62J.png

3xIOu9K.png

After that, it was time to organise storage, I have decided that for now the best I have access to is Ender IO's storage system, something I've never used before.

ueS7YJo.png

H0BifY7.png

This is more like it, I'm putting a common 'conduit bus' around my base (ultimately I suppose this gets replaced with AE2 in time I suppose), to delivery power, fluids and items. I use the channel colours on conduits to route items around the network.

Over 100,000 items are stored in just a few blocks, and I can access everything form the panel in the wall, I may even craft additional panels about the place as time goes by.

CrvMRlI.png

knOrB8Q.png

AZBxpxm.png

Kp5JOZu.png

At one point, I had to fight back a zombie invasion!
AZTJrjT.png

Much happier with the base now, the machine area is cleared up, the storage is sorted, common mob drops are being farmed.

Time to make the Dark Steel armour and empower it, then head off to the end. But before that, the big staircase was eating up a LOT of room and adding to clutter... so replaced it with Dark Steel ladder.

x4zhfUZ.png

Been up FAR too late on a Sunday night for my own good... But am decked out a bit better now... Got my Dark Steel armour on the go, empowered along with the wings, staff of travel + glider should be good fun.

I will need a solid Ranged weapon to beat the big Dragon, will likely research TC bows or make an I.E handgun.

KZgc9bH.png

jXVOewS.png

-=Wuffle=- !

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Awesome :)

@Leldra, I've tried searching this thread, but thought I would ask, what texture pack(s) are you using? I've noticed that you seem to be running SOARTEX, similar to me, yet many of your tools and other blocks have non default textures, did you find additional textures for TC and other mods somewhere?

@Leldra, in regards to slimes... I've not tried this before, but have you tried capturing one in a soul vial and using a powered spawner on it? If you can get a slime to appear this way, perhaps that will help you with auto-grinding slimeballs?

A general question for people, I've set up my mob farm of doom, with some filtering using Ender-IO conduits i'm now capturing what I want and trashing all the junk.

View attachment 35208

I have also decided that I'll some power across and get started on Nutrient Solution for other EnderIO needs.

To this end I've deployed 'The Vat', given it power and am sending it all the rotting flesh from the mob drops, a 2 x 2 reservoir supplies water. I thought I would try to plant a sugar cane farm in a little room at the back to supply sugar to a SAG MILL, that would keep 'The Vat' in supply of sugar, this way I could have an decent supply of Nutrient Solution.

However, perhaps I'm being a bit slower than normal, because the sugar cane's aren't growing, I've given them plenty of room, there's light in the room and water source blocks next to where the EnderIO farming station has planted them.
-=Wuffle=- !
I'm going to answer in a short way since I'm very much at work moving all my stuff to my space station...

(1) My name starts with an "I", not with an "L".
(2) I'm using Soartex Invictus (there is a "modded universal" version) as my primary, and Chigocraft as my secondary pack.
(3) The problem is specifically with blue slimeballs, and AFAIK slime mobs drop only the green slimeballs.
(4) I'm using a cloche to grow the sugarcane I need to make nutrient distillation, then grind it with an AA crusher to get 3 sugar per cane.