[1.10.2] Age of Engineering

A

akoelling

I am having trouble early game. I can't seem to power anything with immersive engineering wires, especially the empowerer and termionic fabricator. Does anyone know why this is? Is there a work around. Currently I am using the peat-fired engine and it is awful.
Thanks!

C

Closet Gamer

I am having trouble early game. I can't seem to power anything with immersive engineering wires, especially the empowerer and termionic fabricator. Does anyone know why this is? Is there a work around. Currently I am using the peat-fired engine and it is awful.
Thanks!
I'm not sure why the peat engine isn't working for you, do you have a screenshot of the setup? The best early game RF power generation I found was the immersive engineering water wheels (~80rf/t when setup perfectly) or advanced windmills (~14rf/t at a reasonable height). I set up rf power in episode 12 onwards in my series but there are quite a few specific videos on YouTube for their setup that are also very good

------------------------
*Never be afraid to ask when you do not understand*
------------------------
My Age of Engineering Series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUZaEaeCvlj6ChY3jks-N8rW74_3qEtmD

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Thanks!
Do you have a picture of your setup? Possible problems are hard to discern without one. You did use connectors to power the machines, not relays, right? Also, are you using IE capacitors? They have to be set to output power with the Engineer's Hammer.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Yaaay! :)

Finally made it to the Ender Age.
Ender Age.PNG

These machine chassis sure do take some resources, wonder what I should build first in this age?

2017-11-14_21.18.02.png

Basement is getting busy, might be due for a refit soon.

-Wuffle!

C

Closet Gamer

View attachment 35085

These machine chassis sure do take some resources, wonder what I should build first in this age?

View attachment 35088

-Wuffle!
Congrats, lots of things available to you now! A sag mill and Alloy furnace are definitely a good bet, along with a soul binder and a slice'n'splice. Your going to need Enderman heads - beheading perk from the tinkers construct works quite well otherwise you'll be running around for many nights without a drop - took me 20 or so endermen before it dropped.

------------------------
------------------------
My Age of Engineering Series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUZaEaeCvlj6ChY3jks-N8rW74_3qEtmD

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014

View attachment 35085

View attachment 35088

-Wuffle!
Nice!

As for what to build, you'll need some EnderIO machines like Closet Gamer suggested, but as for larger builds I'd put priority on some serious RF power generation. I never regretted that I built a full-fledged Immersive Engineering power setup including 16 Thermoelectric Engines for bootstrapping the main system, and for the main system three cloches with melons, eight cloches with industrial hemp seeds (you may get away with seven, but six is not enough for two Diesel Generators) a Fermenter, Industrial Squeezer, Refinery and first one, then two Diesel Generators. That will give you approximately 6900 RF/t (the Squeezer and the Fermenter require 640 RF/t, the Refinery 8 RF/t, makes (2*4096) -1288 = 6904 RF/t. Mine some more iron (OK, a lot more) before you attempt this. BTW, IE steelmaking is slow at this point but it really pays off to use every opportunity to put a stack of coal blocks in your coke oven and a stack of iron blocks into your (preferably improved) blast furnace together with the last load of coke from the oven.

What to do with that power? Mining (see Age 6), spawning Endermen and Blazes, among other things.

You will also want an XP obelisk and an Enchanter.

As for Enderman heads, you can find or make that dark steel sword, The Ender, and use it in a Killer Joe. I found it's more effective at giving me Enderman heads than TC weapons, since when using the latter, the Endermen often teleport away, and The Ender prevents that on top of giving you higher chances for heads and Ender Pearls.

Also, you'll want some dark steel armor and the dark bow, and enchant them as highly as you can, as well as a wand of travel and an AA battery, since you'll want to fly as soon as possible if you're anything like me, and you'll need to go to the End and kill the dragon for the next age anyway.

Beyond these necessities, I wouldn't build all that much in this age, especially not Environmental Tech stuff, since you'll be starving for resources like never before and ET machines are expensive with a capital E in this pack. Advance to age 6 and build an RFTools builder and a quarry shape card (and don't drop dead from looking at the recipe), and let your builder go crazy in the mining world, and only then start on Environmental Tech machines to get at the rarer resources. For power distribution use linked RFtools powercells. For the quarrying, you can filter what's quarried or not with a storage filter (I used a blacklist), that will drastically reduce power consumption and your containers won't be overflowing with useless crap.

Speaking of containers, my favorite all-purpose container is the AA medium storage crate. In spite of being absolutely starving for gold and iron, I made a few of them in Age 5. Apart of having a really big storage capacity, you can open it if there is a block on top of it, unlike a chest.

IMO Age 6 is where the pack really takes off, since you'll have a fast and powerful auto-miner and can concentrate more on building rather than resource acquisition. Mind you, there's still a reason the Void Miners are in the pack since you can't get enough of everything with the builder quarry, but it reduces the frustration level dramatically for people like me who like to build big and hate manual mining.

Last edited:
C

Closet Gamer

Nice!

As for what to build, you'll need some EnderIO machines like Closet Gamer suggested, but as for larger builds I'd put priority on some serious RF power generation. I never regretted that I built a full-fledged Immersive Engineering power setup including 16 Thermoelectric Engines for bootstrapping the main system, and for the main system three cloches with melons, eight cloches with industrial hemp seeds (you may get away with seven, but six is not enough for two Diesel Generators) a Fermenter, Industrial Squeezer, Refinery and first one, then two Diesel Generators. That will give you approximately 6900 RF/t (the Squeezer and the Fermenter require 640 RF/t, the Refinery 8 RF/t, makes (2*4096) -1288 = 6904 RF/t. Mine some more iron (OK, a lot more) before you attempt this. BTW, IE steelmaking is slow at this point but it really pays off to use every opportunity to put a stack of coal blocks in your coke oven and a stack of iron blocks into your (preferably improved) blast furnace together with the last load of coke from the oven.

What to do with that power? Mining (see Age 6), spawning Endermen and Blazes, among other things.

You will also want an XP obelisk and an Enchanter.

As for Enderman heads, you can find or make that dark steel sword, The Ender, and use it in a Killer Joe. I found it's more effective at giving me Enderman heads than TC weapons, since when using the latter, the Endermen often teleport away, and The Ender prevents that on top of giving you higher chances for heads and Ender Pearls.

Also, you'll want some dark steel armor and the dark bow, and enchant them as highly as you can, as well as a wand of travel and an AA battery, since you'll want to fly as soon as possible if you're anything like me, and you'll need to go to the End and kill the dragon for the next age anyway.

Beyond these necessities, I wouldn't build all that much in this age, especially not Environmental Tech stuff, since you'll be starving for resources like never before and ET machines are expensive with a capital E in this pack. Advance to age 6 and build an RFTools builder and a quarry shape card (and don't drop dead from looking at the recipe), and let your builder go crazy in the mining world, and only then start on Environmental Tech machines to get at the rarer resources. For power distribution use linked RFtools powercells. For the quarrying, you can filter what's quarried or not with a storage filter (I used a blacklist), that will drastically reduce power consumption and your containers won't be overflowing with useless crap.

Speaking of containers, my favorite all-purpose container is the AA medium storage crate. In spite of being absolutely starving for gold and iron, I made a few of them in Age 5. Apart of having a really big storage capacity, you can open it if there is a block on top of it, unlike a chest.

IMO Age 6 is where the pack really takes off, since you'll have a fast and powerful auto-miner and can concentrate more on building rather than resource acquisition. Mind you, there's still a reason the Void Miners are in the pack since you can't get enough of everything with the builder quarry, but it reduces the frustration level dramatically for people like me who like to build big and hate manual mining.
Nice post, lots of great information in there. For the melons you can use compacting drawers to switch between melons and melon slices for imputing into the industrial fermenter (wish I had known that before I'd paid out for a an ExtraUtilities block placer and block breaker!)

------------------------
------------------------

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Nice!

As for what to build, you'll need some EnderIO machines like Closet Gamer suggested, but as for larger builds I'd put priority on some serious RF power generation. I never regretted that I built a full-fledged Immersive Engineering power setup including 16 Thermoelectric Engines for bootstrapping the main system

Thankyou so much for your detailed information :)

I have built 8 Thermoelectric generators using Lava / Snow, next to my power tower, hopefully it should generate some basic RF, along with my 64 TF/Tick solar array and two windmills. I'll put some proper tiling / flooring around them later tonight.

2017-11-15_19.22.31.png

My first Ender IO machines, I made an alloy smelter and a sag mill.

2017-11-15_19.35.17.png

I might knock down my IC2 ore processing facility and convert it to EnderIO, two blocks versus about 7 or 8 blocks and re-use the
Ore Washing plant and Thermal Centrifuge for Uranium processing.

Storage is still a bit of a mess, going to take up the storage options that were offered up as ideas.

This basement's getting very cluttered, I think i'll need to knock out another room down here for new machines, I'm going to give the big IE diesel generator a go :) But first you guys are right, steel production using the IC2 machines is still very slow. So I'll get stuck into this, I know that IE has a huge multiblock for mass production of coke coal. So I'll get stuck into steel production.

The auto ore machine is generating almost no iron, but mountains of Osmium, I hope it come sin handy some day.

I'm going to focus now on getting a drawer controller up for my storage drawers, with about 30m in RF storage and MV wires everywhere, it should now be doable.

Then i'll investigate these Storage Scanners :)

-Wuffle!

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Some more about my progress through the pack.... screenshots are now in spoilers by request of a thread regular.

(1) Yay, my first rocket! Well, I have moved the launch pad since I made these screenshots since I want to construct a building around the multiblocks eventually, but this looks nice enough. Worth mentioning: The electric arc furnace is painfully slow when producing silicon, but all you'll ever need to produce is one ingot. After that, you can profit from the fact that all EnderIO silicon recipes also accept libVulpes silicon (not vice versa, sadly) and they can be oredict-converted by the drawer system: put your one ingot into a drawer and replace the EnderIO silicon drawer with this one, and all EnderIO silicon will be converted to libVulpes silicon ingots on entering the drawer system. Now all you need to do is replace the EnderIO silicon with libVulpes silicon in your AE2 recipes - probably not more than three: Electrical Steel, Ender Resonator and Z-Logic Controller - and you can continue making silicon from clay as before, which should pose no problem at all if you've been running your void resource miner.
Also of note: making titanium takes forever, and depending on how many rockets you want to build, you'll need quite a bit of it. I automated the process including the recycling of TechReborn cells, but you still need 500+ cells if you make half a stack of titanium ingots. Regarding iridium, you can make two iridium dust from IC iridium ore in an AA crusher and smelt them into ingots in the NeoTech electric furnace - EnderIO machines can't do this for some odd reason probably only known by the twisted brain of the modpack maker :p). JEI doesn't always tell you this. In general, it's worth experimenting to see which machines accept some rare materials rather than always depending on JEI.
The second image shows what I took with my on my first trip: rocket fuel (in the pressure tanks), matter receiver, pre-llinked power cell, and just in case I find something interesting beyond dilithium on the moon, builder, shape card, ender chest and lever. An oddity: if you fill you oxygen thanks on the gas pad, your o2-meter fills and any extra tanks (I have four since I can fly by nanobot beacon and don't need a jetpack) show liquid oxygen, but if you pre-fill the tanks with liquid oxygen your meter does not fill.
601_Space1.jpg

601_Space2.jpg

(2) More IE automation
There was no choice but to build metal presses for all four item types they can make, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to integrate them into my AE2 system. For everyone who watched DW20's AoE videos: you can just drop ingots on the conveyor belt from above, you don't have to do that thing with the transfer node when making prototypes for your autocrafting patterns. Also, as you can see an ME interface can put items on a conveyor belt placed on top of it, which will transport it to the metal press.
Also notable: I still make steel using the coke oven and the improved blast furnace. Why? The Arc furnace is inefficient: its power balance is unfavorable compared to almost every other machine out there, items piped in aren't automatically placed in an efficient pattern, and thus the electrodes need to be replaced up to 12 times earlier. Also, since the coke oven and the blast furnace only make steel, they can run slowly all the time without interfering in any other process. I use the Arc furnace only for chrome and titanium at the moment. Processing of rare ores from other planets might follow, but the standard metals are made elsewhere. BTW, I found out you need to run a TechReborn fusion reactor for the Creative Age. May I mention that I'm not looking forward to that...
In the background you can see my singularity farm, which the guide said you might want to start early. As usual, I went a little all-out on this, and now I'm running 8 matter condensers fed by 8 tier 4 cobble generators.
601_IEMoreAutomated.jpg

601_Metalpress.jpg

(3) Some ore processing
This is the ore processing setup I forgot to post in my last series of screenshots. Not the most space-efficient using the IE Crusher but I like how it looks. The item router below the power cell separates out those ores which are better processed by a SAG mill - ie. Redstone, Certus Quartz and Lapis - and the three item routers at the far end separate out those items that don't need to be smelted, while others go through the alloy smelters. Everything then lands in an Ender chest which connects to my storage system. My ores aren't automatically processes since I never know when I might need the ore itself. If my stock of ingots gets low, I go down here and throw 8 or 16 stacks of ore into the crate, and everything else goes automatically from here. Funny thing: once an Enderman was killed by the Crusher and left an Ender Pearl on the conveyor belt.
601_OreProcess0.jpg

601_OreProcess1.jpg

(4) The brute force approach to solving IC power problems...
You think this is a lot of iron, copper and rubber? Well, it might look that way, but not if you have 30k iron ore because you needed to automine enough to get 3k gold ore. Also, I once burned a couple of tens of thousands of iron to make ReactorCraft High Pressure Turbines when I built a ReactorCraft fusion reactor - probably the most complex machine in all of modded Minecraft - so this is really nothing. You only get a measly 512 EU/t from this item here, but it is much simpler of course.
BTW, for the first time ever, I needed to make a crafting CPU with two 64k crafting storage blocks. You can see the requirement in the text line at the top of the compound image. I have four crafting CPUs since some machines are painfully slow. Also for the first time: I made my sixth stack of AE2 blank patterns.
601_HVSolar.jpg

Another observation: I spent a lot of time watching mod spotlights and AoE videos for this particular part of my progress through the pack because I didn't know anything about Advanced Rocketry. Advanced Rocketry would benefit from an in-game guide. I usually make my own progress before I watch others' but I had to change this rule for the Space Age.

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
@WuffleFluffy :
I noticed your thermoelectric engine setup has lava and snow across two axes. Can you confirm that you get more power out of them that way? I thought the maximum output per generator depended only on the materials, not on the number of blocks.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
@WuffleFluffy :
I noticed your thermoelectric engine setup has lava and snow across two axes. Can you confirm that you get more power out of them that way? I thought the maximum output per generator depended only on the materials, not on the number of blocks.
Can confirm, the RF/t obtained is per paired sources, so you would get more with two pairs. I believe you could actually have even more with pairs across the top and bottom, but retrieving the RF then becomes an issue.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Can confirm, the RF/t obtained is per paired sources, so you would get more with two pairs. I believe you could actually have even more with pairs across the top and bottom, but retrieving the RF then becomes an issue.
You could use an Energy Phantomface, but the investment/profit balance would be horrible. Thanks for the confirmation.

zBob

Jul 29, 2019

You can also utilize a source block for more than one generator, so if you switch to something like a block of uranium in this pack you could place down 3 of them and cover 8 seperate sides of 4 generators to max out your production with a lower resource cost. Hopefully this little "graph" can explain it better. And you can just continue this pattern if you want more power generation but this is the mini-cluster I create in places where I want power available but don't want to run a line from the main system.

Thermoelectric.PNG

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
You can also utilize a source block for more than one generator, so if you switch to something like a block of uranium in this pack you could place down 3 of them and cover 8 seperate sides of 4 generators to max out your production with a lower resource cost. Hopefully this little "graph" can explain it better. And you can just continue this pattern if you want more power generation but this is the mini-cluster I create in places where I want power available but don't want to run a line from the main system.

View attachment 35102
Yep - that's exactly what I do :) I'm glad you mentioned that - I was struggling to think how to explain it verbally and concisely!

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
@WuffleFluffy :

Yes I seem to be getting more power :)

Moved my Smelting and Steel making stuff over from old base, Storage nightmare beginning to look less like a nightmare. Now focusing on Steel production.

2017-11-16_20.35.06.png 2017-11-16_20.35.18.png

I've run into a problem with Immersive Engineering and it only seems to be this mod.

Whenever I spent a few minutes in the Immersive Engineering manual, the game client crashes to what I suspect is some sort of memory leak.

I have updated Java and the mod pack is on the latest revision. But what gives? I will find it very hard to build things in IE unless I can look at the plans so I know what blocks to make and what pattern they go into. Will see if there's a WIKI around somewhere.

I'm going to follow the advice given here and build the diesel generator solution with the cloches :)

Will need a LOT of iron, my ore factory produces virtually no Iron ore at all (but mountains of aluminium and Osmium as well as Nickel, oddly exactly twice as many emeralds as diamonds (Nearly a full stack of Emeralds, so not complaining!).

Level 13 on the mining world is awesome for iron ore mining, also get a lot of Lapis and diamonds too.

-Wuffle!

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I've run into a problem with Immersive Engineering and it only seems to be this mod.

Whenever I spent a few minutes in the Immersive Engineering manual, the game client crashes to what I suspect is some sort of memory leak.

I have updated Java and the mod pack is on the latest revision. But what gives? I will find it very hard to build things in IE unless I can look at the plans so I know what blocks to make and what pattern they go into. Will see if there's a WIKI around somewhere.
This is a known problem. Here's the wiki:

https://ftb.gamepedia.com/Immersive_Engineering

Click the "show" button in the table header below the description and you'll get a list of machines, blocks and items. All multiblocks are described, including how to build them. Note: the energy requirements listed for the Industrial Squeezer and Fermenter are wrong. Possibly for other machines as well.

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
This is a known problem. Here's the wiki:

https://ftb.gamepedia.com/Immersive_Engineering

Click the "show" button in the table header below the description and you'll get a list of machines, blocks and items. All multiblocks are described, including how to build them. Note: the energy requirements listed for the Industrial Squeezer and Fermenter are wrong. Possibly for other machines as well.
I was wondering about the energy - I think it may have been changed for the modpack, as I'm sure in the past you've been able to generate biodiesel a lot cheaper energy-wise.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I was wondering about the energy - I think it may have been changed for the modpack, as I'm sure in the past you've been able to generate biodiesel a lot cheaper energy-wise.
It's been changed by the mod author at some time I think, since the power requirements are the same in the Direwolf20 1.10.2 pack and I he usually mentions any config tweaks.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
It's been changed by the mod author at some time I think, since the power requirements are the same in the Direwolf20 1.10.2 pack and I he usually mentions any config tweaks.
Ah, OK. I used it in Beyond previously; I wonder whether it was different all along, but because it was still far less than what I was generating I never noticed it was using more than expected - I tend to design around having an excess of power instead of it being quite lean, so its entirely possible.

Reactions: WuffleFluffy