What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
The good news? Refined Storage has Blocking Mode for patterns.
The bad news? Said mode was introduced in the 1.11 port, which means it's not in FTB Beyond.

Since I want to automate Botania runes this playthrough, I guess I'll be doing AE. At least meteorites are disabled.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
It seems like Mesa biome has much more gold ore than other biomes. I haven't encountered mesas frequently, so I learned it only today, when I went exploring mineshafts in it.

This is new in Vanilla. In addition you can find Gold Mines there that open up to the surface, with more gold than normal mineshafts.
pretty sure ant venom did a video on this. not certain though, i know one of the youtuber content creators did a video on it though. something about gold spawn height is increased.

looks like it is increased to spawning up to surface level: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Biome#Mesa

actually looks like over three times the amount of gold spawns in mesas. spawning as high as layer 79 http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Gold_Ore

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
Yesterday I discovered the /effect command. Following that I discovered that:
  • It is possible to survive the void under the map. You just need high regeneration (I later looked it up, and regen 6 is high enough. 255 was just overkill)
  • 50 bonus health is not enough to survive a fall from 500 meters. But more tends to visually break the health bar.
  • A superflat world with a maxed out speed effect is far more amusing than it has any right to be.

N

NerpyDerpston

Yesterday I discovered the /effect command. Following that I discovered that:
  • It is possible to survive the void under the map. You just need high regeneration (I later looked it up, and regen 6 is high enough. 255 was just overkill)
  • 50 bonus health is not enough to survive a fall from 500 meters. But more tends to visually break the health bar.
  • A superflat world with a maxed out speed effect is far more amusing than it has any right to be.
also if galacticraft was for 1.9+ you could go to space with the levitation effect

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
https://www.replaymod.com

This works with FTB Beyond, and presumably any 1.10 pack. Records your gameplay sessions on tiny files and lets you play it back from any angle, setting up camera paths and controlling the flow of time, and will then render the video one frame at a time so even if you are running off a potato, you can record perfect 60 fps videos with shaders.

Watch as I turn this ordinary day of killing small woodland creatures into compelling YouTube action:

Last edited:

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
I forgot about Jabba over the time since Drawers made a better work than it.
But it got an update and fills a nice niche now.
Barrels are cheaper than ever to craft and Upgrades are not as tedious as before.
Also, there is the Barrel Painter that you can Shift Right Click and select a lot of block to Paint the barrel with. (for free and as often as you like)
There's the Void Upgrade and they hold tons of Items. So I think for early game they are better than drawers because cheaper and for late game they make a good and more beautiful alternative for quantum storage.

Reactions: Steph32

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm embarrassed to say that I just noticed yesterday that Journeymap renders a tiny black dot for thaumcraft (4) nodes. Its not always easy to see, particularly in a "dark" biome, eg something with lots of trees or dark stone, but its there.

Since I find nodes really damn hard to see even with the goggles on, this is really nice for me.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I just learned that claiming my chunks also saves me from creeper damage!

Later, I felt like I had read that somewhere, but when it happened I thought the game was bugged. I have mixed feelings about it. On once hand, obviously, this is the single greatest thing in the history of mankind. On the other, it does take away the last sense of danger there is for this game.

Well, I'd say I've had enough creeper damage in my day that I'm gonna go ahead and accept it as good! :)

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm embarrassed to say that I just noticed yesterday that Journeymap renders a tiny black dot for thaumcraft (4) nodes. Its not always easy to see, particularly in a "dark" biome, eg something with lots of trees or dark stone, but its there.

Since I find nodes really damn hard to see even with the goggles on, this is really nice for me.
I wonder if you could alter the palletteto make that more obvious...

I just learned that claiming my chunks also saves me from creeper damage!

Later, I felt like I had read that somewhere, but when it happened I thought the game was bugged. I have mixed feelings about it. On once hand, obviously, this is the single greatest thing in the history of mankind. On the other, it does take away the last sense of danger there is for this game.

Well, I'd say I've had enough creeper damage in my day that I'm gonna go ahead and accept it as good! :)
I believe that's configurable. At the same time, I love it and hate it. Love to save my work from mob griefing, but you're right that it takes the fear and danger out of things. I can't help feeling sometimes that modded has started to make me soft (preventing mob griefing, gravestones, super powered tools and armor), but there's no way I'm going back now.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I believe that's configurable. At the same time, I love it and hate it. Love to save my work from mob griefing, but you're right that it takes the fear and danger out of things. I can't help feeling sometimes that modded has started to make me soft (preventing mob griefing, gravestones, super powered tools and armor), but there's no way I'm going back now.

Yep, you get me. I feel exactly the same. It feels like I'm mourning the loss of a blood sucking leach that I've grown accustomed to, lol. It's weird. But, like you, there's just no going back.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015

Mob Griefing has always been configurable (although I'll never understand why Villagers harvesting is considered 'griefing' and sheep grazing isn't). Creepers are still damn scary with their sneaky sneaking and hiss-booming. Same with ghasts, who seem to aggro on you before you can even see them. (Last night, I was out on a catwalk gathering lava and two of them came out of nowhere! Not even a purr to clue me in, just SHRIEK-BOOM! Still not sure how I got out of there without a lava bath.)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I was thinking the same thing, and I suspect you can, but I doubt there's a color that would work a lot better.

The "perfect magical solution" for me would be a dot that actually cycles through colors (animated loop).

J

jhonny87

you can use screens to display any type of item you have in your AE network, and add or take a stack from it.
storing ingots/blocks never looked this awesome.
and regular covers (using a saw ) fit over the cables, whilst still staying flush with the block next to it.
running cable in the floor and covering it with glass, so i do not need to light the room up with bright ender-io lights
but rather have a gloomy glow coming from the cables and screens..

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Props where they're due. I've been pretty critical of some aspects of ExU2, but that boomerang is rad.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
IC2's Jetpack is once again supremely awesome. Solar Helmet will keep it charged for days. Dark Chestplate can have a glider, and the Jetpack Attachment Plate snaps the two together, you can now explore forever.

Reactions: ICountFrom0