Terrafirmacraft Coming to FTB!?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

kev12east

Jul 29, 2019
[my first thought: Yay! I was referenced!] Im glad to se someone making something like this (to be honest, its a lot of work to keep updating and maintaining in general [so many recipes!]). if i knew the java language, id help you. If need help with ideas, the mods i used to bridge, feel free to ask.
edit
I dont have a MF account, so dont look for me there

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
[my first thought: Yay! I was referenced!] Im glad to se someone making something like this (to be honest, its a lot of work to keep updating and maintaining in general [so many recipes!]). if i knew the java language, id help you. If need help with ideas, the mods i used to bridge, feel free to ask.
edit
I dont have a MF account, so dont look for me there

Sure. Recipe ideas and mechanics, especially for the "Steampunk" and modern stages, is probably what I need ATM.

kev12east

Jul 29, 2019
Sure. Recipe ideas and mechanics, especially for the "Steampunk" and modern stages, is probably what I need ATM.
well, lets look at this logically, the first power generation man had was kinetic (water wheels). the next was steam. and still is steam, just different ways of producing it. mechanics, how about an inventing system. you would present the player with a challenge, materials, and then ask him to solve it. the first time would be 'how do i pump water?' A:water whee with gears of some sort. once i see what items you add and ore generation I can accurately create recipes. I think one of the benefits of progress should be easier life style, more modes of transportation, and more knowledge. remember, knowledge is power. for the end phase, the player should have progressed to a level similar to that of the ancients form stargate. this will also allow for for you to prevent power players from conquering other players, the ancients had a plague, make the "ancients" have a short coming of some sort, to help balance.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
well, lets look at this logically, the first power generation man had was kinetic (water wheels). the next was steam.

Slightly incorrect. While it is ture Kinetics were the frist. Most were human powered or animal powered before someone thought to use water and also wind.

Also steam while yes still is a huge player in power creation there are and still is some mechinical ways being used. Basicly Kenetics hooked up to an engine. IE your basic fuel power generator does not use steam but is a kenetic system.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
well, lets look at this logically, the first power generation man had was kinetic (water wheels). the next was steam. and still is steam, just different ways of producing it. mechanics, how about an inventing system. you would present the player with a challenge, materials, and then ask him to solve it. the first time would be 'how do i pump water?' A:water whee with gears of some sort. once i see what items you add and ore generation I can accurately create recipes. I think one of the benefits of progress should be easier life style, more modes of transportation, and more knowledge. remember, knowledge is power. for the end phase, the player should have progressed to a level similar to that of the ancients form stargate. this will also allow for for you to prevent power players from conquering other players, the ancients had a plague, make the "ancients" have a short coming of some sort, to help balance.

Hmm. An inventing system. Apologies, I don't quite follow. A research system, you mean? Maybe?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Slightly incorrect. While it is ture Kinetics were the frist. Most were human powered or animal powered before someone thought to use water and also wind.

Also steam while yes still is a huge player in power creation there are and still is some mechinical ways being used. Basicly Kenetics hooked up to an engine. IE your basic fuel power generator does not use steam but is a kenetic system.
Every electrical generation system we currently have basically boils down to 'generate heat to boil water to spin a turbine to generate electricity'. Common combustion engines... same thing, burn something to generate heat to boil water to create steam to spin a turbine. Heck, even Nuclear... get enough nuclear material together to generate heat to... well, you know.

As far as power... I'd say start off with kinetics. Maybe some kind of a mill with harnesses for cows? Also wind and water mills. The first step is probably manual, which eats up food. Kinda like the first tier of BTW, actually. I'm not a big fan of the whole gear box thing, but it works, at least.

If you are planning on wedding it to RP2 or BC3, then you'll probably want an intermediary tier to be able to make the cobblestone and smooth stone and other materials those mods need which don't exist in TFC. Some form of refining process that is probably hand-done.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Every electrical generation system we currently have basically boils down to 'generate heat to boil water to spin a turbine to generate electricity'.

Correct for most large scales.

But there was and still is a number of fuel based internal cumbtion systems that spin up power. No steam in theses.

But yes when looking at large scale it basily becomes make steam use steam.

Of course unless we talk about hyrdo eletroinc damn systems.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Every electrical generation system we currently have basically boils down to 'generate heat to boil water to spin a turbine to generate electricity'. Common combustion engines... same thing, burn something to generate heat to boil water to create steam to spin a turbine. Heck, even Nuclear... get enough nuclear material together to generate heat to... well, you know.

As far as power... I'd say start off with kinetics. Maybe some kind of a mill with harnesses for cows? Also wind and water mills. The first step is probably manual, which eats up food. Kinda like the first tier of BTW, actually. I'm not a big fan of the whole gear box thing, but it works, at least.

If you are planning on wedding it to RP2 or BC3, then you'll probably want an intermediary tier to be able to make the cobblestone and smooth stone and other materials those mods need which don't exist in TFC. Some form of refining process that is probably hand-done.

(Assuming we're talking about Project Nodlehs.)

Yea, Kinetics. I like the animal harness idea, didn't think about that yet. RP or BC won't be necessary, I'm intending this to be standalone with TFC.

And, I hope you don't take offence at the following question, it's meant to be friendly. Without gearboxes, how is power meant to turn corners?

Oh. You're referring to the "gearbox every 3 blocks" thing. Never mind, I don't like it, either.

EDIT: Sorry for double post, that's what I get for having slow internet temporarily!

kev12east

Jul 29, 2019
I meant, lets say you've discovered gears and axiles. you have a water mill and the need to pump water from a well to quench you thirst, water your livestock and crops, etc. ect. you places the gears in such a way that you are able to pump water though pipes. now, once this is completed, you have the ability to craft a gear box to do the same thing, only smaller and craftable. it would be a combination of a research system and an invention system. maybe the catalyst for the recipe unlock is you pump water into/through a block/pipe.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
I meant, lets say you've discovered gears and axiles. you have a water mill and the need to pump water from a well to quench you thirst, water your livestock and crops, etc. ect. you places the gears in such a way that you are able to pump water though pipes. now, once this is completed, you have the ability to craft a gear box to do the same thing, only smaller and craftable. it would be a combination of a research system and an invention system. maybe the catalyst for the recipe unlock is you pump water into/through a block/pipe.

Sorry if I sound like an idiot, but, basically, you can take a multiblock structure of some sort, and use some method to convert it into a singleblock structure? (And I'm assuming this only applies to hardcoded situations?)

kev12east

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry if I sound like an idiot, but, basically, you can take a multiblock structure of some sort, and use some method to convert it into a singleblock structure? (And I'm assuming this only applies to hardcoded situations?)
kind of, the multiblock will be of the players design, the the converter will be the act of pumping water. that will allow for the same thing to be crafted as one block.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019

I think what he is suggesting is once you make the multiblock system and it works that unlocks the ablity to make a single block version of it.

Think like the thuamcraft resreach. You do stuff in this case make a working multilblock item. It gives you an achvement which acts as the requirment to allow you to make the single block item.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
kind of, the multiblock will be of the players design, the the converter will be the act of pumping water. that will allow for the same thing to be crafted as one block.

Hmm. Assuming we act something like Buildcraft's Sided API, we have (the surface area of the multiblock structure) I/O faces on the multiblock structure and only 6 for the singleblock, so I don't know how that would work for non-hardcoded structures.[DOUBLEPOST=1363576300][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think what he is suggesting is once you make the multiblock system and it works that unlocks the ablity to make a single block version of it.

Think like the thuamcraft resreach. You do stuff in this case make a working multilblock item. It gives you an achvement which acts as the requirment to allow you to make the single block item.

Got it, that's basically what I was talking about.

kev12east

Jul 29, 2019

yep, right on the nail head, right on the dang nail head[DOUBLEPOST=1363576974][/DOUBLEPOST]i no this has aboslutley nothing to do tith this thread but, look at this epicnees:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1584795-150forgetech-mod-stargatetech-alpha-072/page__st__240

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Correct for most large scales.

But there was and still is a number of fuel based internal cumbtion systems that spin up power. No steam in theses.

But yes when looking at large scale it basily becomes make steam use steam.

Of course unless we talk about hyrdo eletroinc damn systems.
Yea, Hydro and Solar are the exceptions. And yes, combustion engines like those used in vehicle engines don't bother with steam, but most 'power plants', other than Hydro (such as Niagara Falls or Hoover Dam) is just 'generate heat to boil water to spin a turbine'. Hydro just spins turbines with the force of running water, wheras solar uses photovoltaic.

Anyways, about project Noodle. Some ideas...

Mill. Possible multi-block structure. Requires smooth stone, like an Anvil, some wood planks (the ones that you get by using an axe on a log, not the vanilla wooden planks you get three of by combining four planks) and maybe some sticks as well. Not too expensive, although to get the smooth-stone, you'll need to have at least a tin or zinc pickaxe. Possible combines include the following:

* Grains into flour to make bread. Yield results in more bread than just the wheat combine. Flour can be used to make other foods as well. Flour + Water = Dough for other foods.
* (Press) fruits into pulp and juice. Pulp can be cooked into things like pies or turned into preserves, juice can satisfy both hunger and thirst bars.
* Plant stalks (from harvesting most grains) into fibers to combine into string.

Oven. Multi-block construction. Needs a fair amount of Pig Iron to forge. Needs much less fuel to do cooking with, and has access to more and better recipes.With a Pot, you can make stews, which are multi-use food items (has a damage value, each use damages it some), or perhaps it works like a cake, in that you have a pot of stew from which you can dish out servings of stew with bowls. You can also make Rolls, which are like bread, but you create a whole batch of them, and they only feed you one hunger.

Sawmill. Can be used to do any combine that requires a saw within it, without needing the saw. Requires a saw in its construction. Requires power. Possibly you put the saw in the sawmill semi-permanently and it simply gets more uses out of the saw?

Power methods:

First, by hand, using a Crank (planks and sticks).

Then, you have your Kenetic Box. Attached to the Kenetic Box can be: Harness, Watermill, or Windmill. Wind and Water Mills are very large. Water mills need to have running water to get them working. Windmills work better if they are at least 20 blocks from any solid block, although not necessarily better at higher altitudes. It just needs access to wind. Harnesses are about the same size as either of the above, and has five slots for cows. Lure a cow into a harness with wheat, and it will start running the mill. More cows equals faster work. Five cows on the Harness will run it as fast as either water or wind power. It's probably best to have it in a fenced in enclosure to keep things from hurting the cows or letting them get away. The Harness requires leather as well as sticks and planks.

kev12east

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. Assuming we act something like Buildcraft's Sided API, we have (the surface area of the multiblock structure) I/O faces on the multiblock structure and only 6 for the singleblock, so I don't know how that would work for non-hardcoded structures.[DOUBLEPOST=1363576300][/DOUBLEPOST]

Got it, that's basically what I was talking about.
i meant, water is pumped into something, that triggers the recipe, not the pump itself. this also allows for players to sort of "teach" each other new technologies.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, Hydro and Solar are the exceptions. And yes, combustion engines like those used in vehicle engines don't bother with steam, but most 'power plants', other than Hydro (such as Niagara Falls or Hoover Dam) is just 'generate heat to boil water to spin a turbine'. Hydro just spins turbines with the force of running water, wheras solar uses photovoltaic.

First of all, great ideas, I plan to add most of them to Project Nodlehs's OP. I was thinking about mills, thought them sounding too much of a BTW ripoff, but I was tired then. Thanks, taking another look, (and the whole multiblock structure idea seems clever,) I'm willing to give them another try. (Though don't you just need to destroy all the blocks surrounding a block of Stone with any Pick to get Smoothstone in TFC?)

A minor thing to point out is that there's a second, lesser known method of turning sunlight into energy which uses the whole steam system, which, come to think of it, is similar to Factorization's Solar Turbine. An array of mirrors (often computer-controlled) reflects enormous amounts of sunlight onto a vat of various salts, literally melting them. This heat boils water ... you know the drill. Early designs just directly heated the water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_tower

And, even with some of Saice's help, I'm still not quite getting the system. My current understanding is that one makes a multiblock structure, such as one that takes mechanical power and outputs water through pipes. Some "achievement" is obtained, which allows the user to make a single block which acts similarly to the Buildcraft Pump? Am I getting that right? In which case, I'm having trouble figuring out how it could use user-designed structures as opposed to ones hardcoded into the mod. That is, I can see how the game can recognize, "oh! A pump!" and allow the user to make a pump, but not how the game could recognize, "oh! Something that accepts mechanical power, sucks up water, and spits it out!" since the multiblock structure could, potentially, have more than 6 output faces, which ... would be a problem.

Sorry if I'm seeming impossible right now.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Now, I may be wrong, but the BWF version I heard of was basically a 'wrapper' which allowed BTW to interact with Forge. If so, that's just plain wrong. However, if it is actually a Forge mod which happens to duplicate many of BTW's functions... well, that's totally different. The first basically hijacks his code, the second... well, you're at least coding the dang thing yourself, not stealing large swaths of code from someone else.

Not that I want to disagree with you, or call you point of view wrong in any way, but this almost the opposite of how I see it.

If somebody wrote a btw mod, that modded better then wolves, and the result was a patch that let it run, in a compatible way with forge, I'm not sure I could see it as wrong, as long as the end user had to download BTW, Minecraft, forge, AND the patch themselves, and then run the patch before putting the modded BTW into a launcher. Once you package these together in one place I see issues.

On the other hand, I don't really like the idea of picking up FC's idea and taking it themselves.

Honestly, I really do not see this as something that could ever end well.

Anyway, Whovian. I don't think having the achievement unlock the step is possible, but what if the multiblock could make an item that was not possible to make in any other way before it. And then the product was required to make the single block version of the multiblock. This is sort of how the GT slowly modifies it's blast furnace in order to unlock tiers.

Reactions: Whovian
Status
Not open for further replies.