Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
anyone got a good safe IC2 nuke setup for good power output? im in infinity evolved skyblock so resources aint a issue

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Which modpack? If we knew that maybe a few of us could load it to see if we have the same problem...

Space Astronomy. I've been through the github and the thread on-forum and haven't seen any similar reports.

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
One more lil question about modpack-making:

- When you start disabling ore-generation of some mods (to not have x mods spawn the same ore into the world), is it best to get as many different ore from the same mod or can you just choose however you want without getting the trouble, that the ore-spawn get into each other's way?
(like instead of copper+tin from mod A you choose copper from mod A and Tin from mod B)

(I tried to look into this COFH-worldgen for it, but that's already a bit too much coding for me to not mess up the whole stuff ^^")

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Recently(last couple days) my FPS has started dropping to 10-20FPS after a bit of time online. It doesn't matter where in the world I am, it stays fixed. I used to(still get the first few minutes after logging in) 150+ in untouched parts of the world and varying FPS around my bases(30-90). RAM usage is fine, CPU load is low on all cores, GPU load is not even enough to start the fan.

Anyone got any idea what can be causing this FPS drop? Never experienced anything like it.

(Playing a 1.7.10 server instance of a slightly modified Nuts and Bolts pack)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Recently(last couple days) my FPS has started dropping to 10-20FPS after a bit of time online. It doesn't matter where in the world I am, it stays fixed. I used to(still get the first few minutes after logging in) 150+ in untouched parts of the world and varying FPS around my bases(30-90). RAM usage is fine, CPU load is low on all cores, GPU load is not even enough to start the fan.

Anyone got any idea what can be causing this FPS drop? Never experienced anything like it.

(Playing a 1.7.10 server instance of a slightly modified Nuts and Bolts pack)
Any chance you accidentally created a redstone logic feedback loop somewhere?

fimbrethil

Jul 29, 2019
anyone got a good safe IC2 nuke setup for good power output? im in infinity evolved skyblock so resources aint a issue

DrRagehard has a surviving with IC2 youtube series that goes over a few options for safe nuclear power, you may want to check that one out.

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
Playing with Steve's Carts and I can't seem to get the wheat from the farmers cart into the cargo manager. Any ideas on what to do?

First guess, the manager might not be set up right.

You need to:
- Target the right side/color for the process
- The arrow need to point 'towards' the manager
- You have the set the target of "where" the wheat is (so the storage where the wheat is in the cart) up. Usually that should be the lil "chest"-icon.
- You need one of these special steve's carts rails next to the manager (so the cart stops)

If you already know all this: This was the thing which confused me the most when playing first time with steve's carts, so without further screenshot from the manager or information I guess it's just the setup which has a lil problem.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Specialties will only work if the apiary is in a biome that the bee natively supports, disregarding changes to the species' default temperature/humidity tolerance and any heating/cooling elements in the apiaries or alvearies.

If your bees are in the Nether, you'll only get specialties from Nether bees and bees with very good temperature tolerance. Genetic modification and fancy air-conditioned apiaries are irrelevant.
This is wrong, it's just that the bee requires exact match for specialties, so in the nether you'd only get hellish/arid specialties, temperature and humidity tolerance is irrelevant. The alveary upgrades are the standard solution, allowing you to get anything but hellish as that temperature is unobtainable with alvearies. Gendustry can do any though via industrial apiaries and their upgrades.

Mezz described it a bit here.

@malicious_bloke you'd probably be interested in this too.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
This is wrong, it's just that the bee requires exact match for specialties, so in the nether you'd only get hellish/arid specialties, temperature and humidity tolerance is irrelevant. The alveary upgrades are the standard solution, allowing you to get anything but hellish as that temperature is unobtainable with alvearies. Gendustry can do any though via industrial apiaries and their upgrades.

Mezz described it a bit here.

@malicious_bloke you'd probably be interested in this too.

That explains a lot! Good to know I can manage it with biome overrides in my apiaries. If it was strictly based off the native conditions it would be impossible to get all my bees producing in one location...

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
A probably quiet weird question (which only shows my technical knowledge *cough, cough*):

-When you plan to get a server for a modpack to play on, does the server need less RAM than when you play it on your own pc?
(e.g. most modpacks tells you to have at least 4GB RAM for minecraft, but I'm wondering if that only necessary cause you run the modpack - so everything which happens there - and your own client at the same time and a server might need only 2GB RAM then or so)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Any chance you accidentally created a redstone logic feedback loop somewhere?
I don't believe so.
I tested it out some more and I seem to be able to trigger it by teleporting to the nether(and back possible) with RFtools. And possible just after long enough time online. Pretty used to performance degradation(and eventually needing to reboot client) after several dimension jumps. But this seem different. I am really clueless what is going on all of a sudden.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
A probably quiet weird question (which only shows my technical knowledge *cough, cough*):

-When you plan to get a server for a modpack to play on, does the server need less RAM than when you play it on your own pc?
(e.g. most modpacks tells you to have at least 4GB RAM for minecraft, but I'm wondering if that only necessary cause you run the modpack - so everything which happens there - and your own client at the same time and a server might need only 2GB RAM then or so)

In my experience (which includes playing on servers as well as 'family LAN time' with my little crafter), the server handles more of the load than the client. Remember that the server has to keep track of what's happening with all players and their loaded chunks.

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
In my experience (which includes playing on servers as well as 'family LAN time' with my little crafter), the server handles more of the load than the client. Remember that the server has to keep track of what's happening with all players and their loaded chunks.

That makes alot of sense for me.
Thanks for the fast answer and explaining it :]

A

axel4340

coming off infinity evolved skyblock, want to try project ozone 2 now. wondering if i need to run a local server like i did for infinity for my SP world, specifically if there are any recipes that take a stupid long time to do and need a server running when the game isn't?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019

The server's needs and the client's needs are very different. Splitting into two programs, even on the same machine, lets you tune the two separately. Good.

That said: The client's needs are almost entirely rendering, and will increase a little as the visual objects/models/textures go up.
The server's needs are more complicated, and will increase based on the memory usage of the mods.

In other words: A pure server will need a little less -- it won't need to do rendering -- but it will still need much of that memory. Exact amounts will need to be tested.

A

Ausghostdog

Any reason why Iron wheels from Steves carts is not working in the crafting table? I place four sticks with an iron ore in the middle and nothing crafts?

Solved it, the sticks MUST be minecraft sticks, not other mods sticks

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Does anyone know why sound would completely cut out shortly after starting a session? It only happens with one particular modpack - the menu-screen music will play, and I might get a minute tops of gameplay sound once I start, but after that, silence. My settings are at 100% (I generally adjust with my headphone control), and I've tried the hack of dropping all levels to 0 and then bringing them back up.

A little update on this that I noticed last night (modpack is Space Astronomy). At the instant that the sound cuts out, my speaker icon abruptly 'mutes' for a fraction of a second before going back to normal levels. When it restores, any other sounds on the machine perform normally, but Minecraft sounds are unresponsive.

Firnagzen

Jul 29, 2019
A little update on this that I noticed last night (modpack is Space Astronomy). At the instant that the sound cuts out, my speaker icon abruptly 'mutes' for a fraction of a second before going back to normal levels. When it restores, any other sounds on the machine perform normally, but Minecraft sounds are unresponsive.
When that happens, hold down F3 and press T to reload all resources. This will probably freeze the game for a minute or two, that's fine. If this fixes the problem, then it sounds like for whatever reason, the sound device/card is getting momentarily disabled for whatever reason, and minecraft isn't detecting it when it gets reconnected. Could you be bumping the cable or something?

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
When that happens, hold down F3 and press T to reload all resources. This will probably freeze the game for a minute or two, that's fine. If this fixes the problem, then it sounds like for whatever reason, the sound device/card is getting momentarily disabled for whatever reason, and minecraft isn't detecting it when it gets reconnected. Could you be bumping the cable or something?

Unlikely - the past several times, I've been sitting stone-still watching to see what's going on - but I'll try the F3-T thing next time I play.

EDIT: That did fix the problem. I never realized how much information I was actually getting from the game sounds until I had to do without them.

Last edited: