Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

joshwoo70

Jul 29, 2019
Yep that was it :D Turned vSync off and am getting 120-140fps. Love my new machine :D
imo from my experience i would turn on vsync. this is so as to help the gpu able to cope. When i put on max fps and no vsync, it gets rather warm and the fans get a bit noisy.

sent from a phone using tapatalk.

V

Viperion

imo from my experience i would turn on vsync. this is so as to help the gpu able to cope. When i put on max fps and no vsync, it gets rather warm and the fans get a bit noisy.
Yeah I might turn it back on - I can't tell the difference between 60 and 120 anyway but it's nice to know that the computer can handle it just fine :)

Reactions: joshwoo70

Firnagzen

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know what the exact mechanics for an ender dragon killed in an rftools dimension is? I spawned one with a phantasmal bee, trapped it with the corporeal attractor and killed it. I thought the portal would spawn above the setup, but instead the portal spawned below my killing platform and ate most of my setup.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Does anyone know what the exact mechanics for an ender dragon killed in an rftools dimension is? I spawned one with a phantasmal bee, trapped it with the corporeal attractor and killed it. I thought the portal would spawn above the setup, but instead the portal spawned below my killing platform and ate most of my setup.
Pretty sure it's no different from how the vanilla enderdragon works in the End. The portal always spawns at a specific Y-level, at the X and Z coordinates of the dragon when it died. I don't remember what that Y coordinate is off the top of my head, but it should be the same as in the End and as the portal that ate your corporeal attractor setup. Rebuild your setup a ways above or below the portal, and you should be fine.

That is, at least, if you're on MC 1.7 or before; Mojang changed the enderdragon fight significantly in 1.8 or 1.9, so I don't know how it works with RFTools in those later versions.

Also, as an aside, with an RFTools syringe, a dimlet workbench, and some high-tier dimlet parts, you can create a Mob: Enderdragon dimlet. Install that in a dimension tab, and the resulting dimension will have 4-5 enderdragons flying around near (0, 0). They will respawn as you kill them, for no cost beyond what's required to run the dimension builder. Yes, you can use this to farm hearts for Draconic Evolution; yes, doing so could be a bit overpowered.

Reactions: Firnagzen

Firnagzen

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty sure it's no different from how the vanilla enderdragon works in the End. The portal always spawns at a specific Y-level, at the X and Z coordinates of the dragon when it died. I don't remember what that Y coordinate is off the top of my head, but it should be the same as in the End and as the portal that ate your corporeal attractor setup. Rebuild your setup a ways above or below the portal, and you should be fine.

That is, at least, if you're on MC 1.7 or before; Mojang changed the enderdragon fight significantly in 1.8 or 1.9, so I don't know how it works with RFTools in those later versions.

Also, as an aside, with an RFTools syringe, a dimlet workbench, and some high-tier dimlet parts, you can create a Mob: Enderdragon dimlet. Install that in a dimension tab, and the resulting dimension will have 4-5 enderdragons flying around near (0, 0). They will respawn as you kill them, for no cost beyond what's required to run the dimension builder. Yes, you can use this to farm hearts for Draconic Evolution; yes, doing so could be a bit overpowered.
Aaaah, it always respawns on the same level, I see. Thank you very much! And yeah, I'm on 1.7.10.

And I'm aware of the dragon dimlets, but what I'm after is full automation. Should be a fun challenge.

Last edited:

MaineYankee

Jul 29, 2019
Ok for the life of me I was on the review section and wanted to post a review. I don't see where I can post onhte review page, and nothing that tells e where or how to either. What am i missing?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Fps and tps are two separate things... Tps is the "timing belt" that keeps the game engine in sync, @ 20/sec. If you experience a 10 second duration fps drop to zero when a creeper is 3 blocks away and tps stays constant? Too bad for you... You won't even see the creeper come up to tap your shoulder! :D

Yea, but we're talking about FPS over 60. How does this make anything better?

Reactions: Everlasting2

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
You ever hear of 3D or virtual reality? The standard FPS for those currently are at 240...

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Yea, but we're talking about FPS over 60. How does this make anything better?

FPS is going to give you smoothness of motion. The earliest animations were done at 24 FPS (I'm talking film animations here) and you can see the flickering in those. The human eye can process images in about 13 milliseconds, or about 76 FPS. I'm not sure why VR is cranked to 240, but 60-80 doesn't sound unreasonable.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
True. actual film was, after the advent of motorized cameras, 24 FPS (This is why older films seem to be sped up a bit... hand cranking with no speed regulation).

When Tesla developed AC (Alternating Current) electricity he settled on a standard frequency of 60Hz... My guess is to help bulbs last longer. It also later made electric clocks a piece of cake... Count pulses to 60, one second passes, etc.

When TV was developed CRTs weren't fast enough to change 60 times a second, but were fine at 30 times. They used this to create "Interlaced" scanning, transmitting all the odd lines first, then transmitting the even lines. This produced a full frame rate close to film, 30 frames as opposed to 24 frames.

Problems occurred as better lighting became available... Incandescent bulbs had a persistence, which meant the filament kept glowing even on the negative cycle. With Florescent tubes, the gas was fast enough to stop glowing half the time causing a visible (to some) flickering effect. Sometimes the Florescent lighting would synchronize with the flickering of CRTs causing nausea and/or headaches and eyestrain.

Increasing the Refresh Rate of CRTs, even to 75Hz (by this time we found better. faster "rare earth" minerals to coat CRTs with), minimized the chance of syncing with Florescent lighting down to less than one cycle/second. 60Kz monitors were popular because they could use a very cheap circuit (a few cents maximum to synchronize with the power line) instead of a more expensive one. The last CRT I owned was capable of 120hz refresh, which believe me, smoothed out graphic animation very much, but cost almost $1000.

The "fact" that the human eye cannot detect more than 60 FPS is a lie, and anyone telling you so is probably using an older 60Hz monitor, since FPS is based on what your screen displays, not on what your eye sees.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1572225-Mythbusting-quot-Human-eye-cannot-see-beyond-60-FPS-quot

Last edited:

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
The "fact" that the human eye cannot detect more than 60 FPS is a lie, and anyone telling you so is probably using an older 60Hz monitor, since FPS is based on what your screen displays, not on what your eye sees.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1572225-Mythbusting-quot-Human-eye-cannot-see-beyond-60-FPS-quot

I was actually going with this research - which does indicate that it was limited by the speed of the monitors used. Strangely, I've heard that some people actually start to experience nausea and headaches once the FPS goes above a certain range as well - causing them to have problems using VR equipment.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, I understand that the eye can see more than 60. On a CRT, I needed 100 Hz refresh to avoid seeing flicker.

But on a modern flat screen? 60 eliminates flicker -- there is sufficient persistence of the light.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Film was put on 24fps because of simple economics. Film stock was/is expensive so they used as low framerate as possible while still being able to see motion.

The mechanical limitations did play a role but the primary reason is the basic cost of a reel.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Oh, I understand that the eye can see more than 60. On a CRT, I needed 100 Hz refresh to avoid seeing flicker.

But on a modern flat screen? 60 eliminates flicker -- there is sufficient persistence of the light.

60Hz refresh, especially on today's flat-screens indicates a certain "cheepnis" (Sorry for the Frank Zappa reference :) ) because of the simplicity of the refresh circuit, although higher refresh frequency refresh is nearly as cheap these days. In fact, I'm willing to bet your screen is running a minimum of 75Hz right now, like mine.

If you go back to pre-HD television, with interlaced scanning, you can see that for nearly 60 years we'd been getting along fine with low resolution (240 lines) 30FPS images. The only reason 60Hz refresh looks passable on LED/LCD/OLED/Plasma etc. screens is because they are non-interlaced, meaning a real 60FPS unless its a 1080i display in which case it runs a minimum 120Hz.

Almost all VR is based on a minimum 240Hz and I've not yet seen 4k or the new 8K specs yet so I can't speak to them.

I just realized that I haven't even mentioned "Slow-Mo" video... IIRC, the camera that caught two bullets colliding in mid-air on Mythbusters ran at least 10,000 FPS, maybe double that. You can't even display a clean image of a bullet travelling at speed using 60FPS.

Go to your local Walmart. Target, Best Buy or whatever and tell me you don't see a difference in quality on the higher refresh-rate devices. If you can do that and be truthful I feel sorry for you.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't know how to tell the refresh rate of the devices being shown.

As I said: I can see the difference on CRT's and other "fast decay" devices.

Actual screen rate of my machine? I don't know. If I turn off vsync, then minecraft updates fast enough that the scene tear is visible to me.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
All I can say is this: When it comes to computer or TV screens, you really can't tell the difference between, say, 120 and 240 Hz unless there's something with a lot of contrast moving very quickly across the screen. In video games, such as Minecraft, this can happen if you flick your mouse quickly. In TV and movies, it's rarely visible at all.

When my folks got our current TV a couple of years ago, we did compare the different TVs they had on display, some of which ran at 120 Hz and others at 240. We could only just barely see any difference between them at all when they showed clips of football games (that is, American football, for you foreign soccer-lovers), in which there were a whole bunch of nearly-vertical white field lines on a dark green background, all zipping horizontally across the screen as the camera panned from one end of the stadium to the other.

We don't watch football (or much any sports at all, for that matter), so we opted for the less expensive 120 Hz model.

Disclaimer: This is coming from a guy who, for the past few years, has consistently run Minecraft at 30 Hz. I run a laptop (a decently powerful one, at that), and while it can handle faster refresh rates just fine, the GPU gets really hot, so it burns my fingers if I miss the keys and touch the aluminum casing between them. I can certainly tell the difference between 30 Hz and 60 Hz, but 30 works well enough and doesn't burn my fingers.

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
After several tries of some 1.10 modpacks (with an avarage number of mods which work totally fine in 1.7.10):

- Is there any way to tell the modelloader/minecraft to use the 1.7.10 way to only load models while you're ingame already?

I'm not able to get past the second "baking"-process, always ending up crashing my minecraft around 59'000 of ~75'000 models in step 7/7. So I'm slowly wondering if now with minecraft 1.10 I'm only allowed to play very very light-weighted modpacks cause of this new baking-mechanic :/ (at least until I have the money to upgrade my RAM. From what I read that's the mayor problem with the new baking-process.. x.x)

[edit]

Additional question:
- Anyone knows if the curse-launcher has some sort of safeguard to never use more than half your RAM or so?
I tried to increase the RAM used for minecraft to 5GB (I have 8GB), but the task-manager says that it still only uses 4GB max (around 3'700 directly and about 300 of this java which runs in the background)

Last edited:

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
After several tries of some 1.10 modpacks (with an avarage number of mods which work totally fine in 1.7.10):

- Is there any way to tell the modelloader/minecraft to use the 1.7.10 way to only load models while you're ingame already?

I'm not able to get past the second "baking"-process, always ending up crashing my minecraft around 59'000 of ~75'000 models in step 7/7. So I'm slowly wondering if now with minecraft 1.10 I'm only allowed to play very very light-weighted modpacks cause of this new baking-mechanic :/ (at least until I have the money to upgrade my RAM. From what I read that's the mayor problem with the new baking-process.. x.x)

[edit]

Additional question:
- Anyone knows if the curse-launcher has some sort of safeguard to never use more than half your RAM or so?
I tried to increase the RAM used for minecraft to 5GB (I have 8GB), but the task-manager says that it still only uses 4GB max (around 3'700 directly and about 300 of this java which runs in the background)

1. No. The model changes are permanent. Try getting more RAM or use fewer mods.
2. There is no safe guard that I've encountered, you can set it yo what you like.

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
1. No. The model changes are permanent. Try getting more RAM or use fewer mods.
2. There is no safe guard that I've encountered, you can set it yo what you like.

Alright, a bit sad to hear the first part (since I guess it really limits me in what modpacks I'm able to play as it seems so far x.x)

About 2.:
It's kinda weird, no matter what I set the curse-launcher to use in it's settings for minecraft, it never uses more than ~4GB in the launching-process of a modpack.

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Alright, a bit sad to hear the first part (since I guess it really limits me in what modpacks I'm able to play as it seems so far x.x)

About 2.:
It's kinda weird, no matter what I set the curse-launcher to use in it's settings for minecraft, it never uses more than ~4GB in the launching-process of a modpack.

That might a Java thing. What version of Java are you using?