[1.7.10] Marooned

cannajan

Jul 29, 2019
I finally found 3 different berries, not accepting netherwood bowls was unexpected! I got some ore berries placed but they wont grow much without me I fear. I even found a fortress and was rash enough to visit
I returned to the overworld and made some space on the island underneath as its the only way to get things spreading, I'm planning on making my main base down here by the water, it will make fishing easier for sure!
I should save this one!

I've also been trying the template worlds, but I havent got far into it before something gets me! mostly my own idiocy.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
I finally found 3 different berries, not accepting netherwood bowls was unexpected! I got some ore berries placed but they wont grow much without me I fear. I even found a fortress and was rash enough to visit
I returned to the overworld and made some space on the island underneath as its the only way to get things spreading, I'm planning on making my main base down here by the water, it will make fishing easier for sure!
I should save this one!

I've also been trying the template worlds, but I havent got far into it before something gets me! mostly my own idiocy.

You're doing well. I like your idea of setting up base at water level. Those catwalks would come in handy if they weren't so expensive early game. I might look into creating a new recipe to make them easier to make. I did think about making the netherwood bowls a requirement for the berry medley, might revisit that idea too. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

I've already decided to move the oreberry swaps away from the garden quests and link them to the drying rack/barrel quests to bring them into play earlier. It took me 6 bags to get a single gold oreberry bush and then when I went to harvest it I was greeted with 3 creepers and a skeleton before I could blink the skeleton shot a creeper and it blew up. Thankfully only 2 bushes were destroyed and yes one of them was the gold bush. I've got heaps of other stuff setup and ready to go and am now only waiting on the gold, grrr.

It seems I only come up with ideas after I've published a new update. Still, it keeps things interesting, at least for me.

The template worlds haven't changed that much apart from the SPUD. That will change the way we approach the game as its designed with some features to make it even more useful as a main base. I too often get hoisted by my own petard. Familiarity breeds contempt and becoming contemptuous of those mobs is the quickest way to meet your demise. That said, its time for me to get back to the coal face and make those changes I was talking about.

Thanks for coming online and letting us know about your experiences..........

EDIT: Just looked into the netherwood bowls. Remembered why I didn't include it. The bowls don't show as a recipe in NEI and it really didn't make sense to have a bowl recipe using natura planks when there's already one using natura slabs. I meant to remove the plank recipe but forgot. It'll be gone in the next update to save you making bowls you have little use for.

Last edited:

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
If you do build your main base at water level be aware that any mob trap you build will be stuffed with bats. I've got manual cobblegen, boat dock, and bat cave at water level, then a very tall ladder up to the nether portal. I just jump over the edge when I want to visit the basement.

Been waiting forever for cows to spawn on my grass, finally realized it is all ocean biome as far as I can tell so won't be any livestock appearing any time soon.

Made one of those keys from fragments, can't figure out how to use it, maybe have to wait for quest?

I've been cleaning out the various mob strongholds in the area, do the toughest one yet only to find a piece of string, a piece of wax, and two basic reward bags at the very bottom. sniffle.

Reactions: cannajan

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
I can only make fletchings from infested leaves (ID 615), but I can't make them from the infested ones I got from Spruce Trees (ID 615:1), is that intended?

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
I can only make fletchings from infested leaves (ID 615), but I can't make them from the infested ones I got from Spruce Trees (ID 615:1), is that intended?

Well I made a point of saying you can infest maple trees or plant maple saplings when explaining how to easily get more infested leaves for a reason. When making recipes for items like fletchings, its not always possible to encompass other varieties without having individual recipes for each variety, especially when there is a crossover between minecraft trees and natura trees. As there really isn't any reason why anyone should need to infest other varieties, I chose to limit the recipe to just infested maple leaves, so yes it is intended.........

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
Ok if it is intended, then that is ok. I think those infested leaves all have the id 615, so just the sub id would be different, or whatever that thing is called.

I started a Jungle map today and noticed two things.

First I have red sand spawning occasionally, I guess that happens because your ruins and worldgen things are made out of red sand and don't adapt to the jungle sand.

Secondly I can't replant Saguaro Cactus on the jungle sand

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Ok if it is intended, then that is ok. I think those infested leaves all have the id 615, so just the sub id would be different, or whatever that thing is called.

I started a Jungle map today and noticed two things.

First I have red sand spawning occasionally, I guess that happens because your ruins and worldgen things are made out of red sand and don't adapt to the jungle sand.

Secondly I can't replant Saguaro Cactus on the jungle sand

The new sands don't support growing any plants as they're technically not really sand. The custom Items mod didn't have any option for making actual sand blocks, just ones that were like sand in all respects except for growth.

You can still find the occasional piece of red or white sand around the environment which you can use to grow your saguaro cactus and sugar cane. Its all intentional and based around the limitations of the mod.

You should have noticed lots of jungle sand in most of the ruins already, including at your spawn point.

If you care to read the 'Whats in the 1.5.0 Update?' spoiler on the first page you'll see that this is mentioned at item 32.

If I recall I decided to place white sand under possible cane plants in the taiga biome and forgot to mention it in item 32.

Last edited:

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I picked up the red sand and used it for the cactus.

I just derped, used the two gravel I got from the quest to make clay, but forgot that I need to hand in two dust in the barrel quest. Now I need to find normal sand or gravel somewhere ...

edit: digging into a well solved my problem, couldnt go through the bedrock, but two stones that i could hammer down were enough to get my dust back

Last edited:

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I picked up the red sand and used it for the cactus.

I just derped, used the two gravel I got from the quest to make clay, but forgot that I need to hand in two dust in the barrel quest. Now I need to find normal sand or gravel somewhere ...

edit: digging into a well solved my problem, couldnt go through the bedrock, but two stones that i could hammer down were enough to get my dust back

Glad to hear it. When you mentioned you used the sand for your cactus. Were you talking about the saguaro cactus? If so, then think about how the upper ones remain in place even after the lower ones have been removed and you'll realise that they don't actually need the sand to remain under them after they have been planted........

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, Saguaro Cactus. Floating cactus, haven't thought of that. But I have enough red sand now.

So far I am having fun playing, but occasionally I run into some bottlenecks, especially when I had to wait for specific oreberries. On my Savannah play I had to do the Taint Nuttin quest 6 times before I finally got aluminum. On my current jungle I got lucky in a reward bag quite soon where I got one of each berries. But gold still took forever to grow.

I am loving the jungle btw. The slime island just over spawn and two apiaries in walking distance makes things a bit easier at the start. But then I also died once when a big slime fell on my head. :D

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
If you do build your main base at water level be aware that any mob trap you build will be stuffed with bats. I've got manual cobblegen, boat dock, and bat cave at water level, then a very tall ladder up to the nether portal. I just jump over the edge when I want to visit the basement.

Been waiting forever for cows to spawn on my grass, finally realized it is all ocean biome as far as I can tell so won't be any livestock appearing any time soon.

Made one of those keys from fragments, can't figure out how to use it, maybe have to wait for quest?

I've been cleaning out the various mob strongholds in the area, do the toughest one yet only to find a piece of string, a piece of wax, and two basic reward bags at the very bottom. sniffle.

I've got good news and bad news.

First the bad news. I managed to somehow have a brain fade when choosing the ocean biome. I mean, I'd already researched which biomes wouldn't spawn passive animals and I still managed to include 2 new biomes that clearly won't spawn them. My eagerness to have a biome that closely matched the ocean below overcame my ability to remember that the animals wouldn't spawn in an ocean biome.

For people who have been playing the existing world I can only apologize as you won't be able to get animals which will severely limit your choices.

The Desolated Desert has been removed from the game due to it being a desert biome and unable to spawn passive animals as well.
I've decided not to include it in future in any biome as it didn't really add enough to the game to warrant its inclusion.

Now the good news.
Since reading your post I've been flat out trying to rectify the situation as well as make the skyplatform world more interesting by randomising all of the islands in it. Its taken me awhile but now its done. I've also changed the seed for the Nether so that you won't have to play through the same environment again. I've carefully chosen this seed like I did with the last one to make it interesting and have made sure all of the required items etc can be found in this world within about a days travel.

I've also revamped the SPUD to make it even more usable if you choose to start a new game.

Although your old saves should still work, you'll be told some blocks are no longer available for your save, but it should be okay to just accept it and continue onto your game. The removed blocks were from the Desolated world. Clearly this means you will no longer be able to continue with an already started Desolated world. You might want to make a backup before trying though.

Okay now the even better news: I've already uploaded the new 1.5.2 update and will let you know when/if its approved.

Here is a spoiler of the few changes in the update.

1: Changed ocean biome to plains biome to allow passive animal spawning.

2: Added random ruins to the Skyplatform biome to add greater diversity to the world.

3: Removed boat recipe to discourage players exploring ocean too early in the game.

4:Added boats as rewards in repeatable FLAVOUR SAVOURS quest and also the BACK TO THE NETHER quest.

5: Added a one off silkworm reward to the MAYBE MAPLE skyworld quest for players who might want to make ghostwood fletchings for arrow making. For those that don't they can always cook and eat them instead.

6: Removed desolated Desert biome as it doesn't really add enough to the game to warrant remaining.

7: Remodelled the SPUD to make it even more versatile to use.

8: Added Salvage Chest that is made using Treasure Chests.

9: Changed oreberry bushes to trigger after Shear Ability and Saw Point to help remove possible bottleneck of having to wait for bushes to grow just to get a needed oreberry.

10: Changed Taint Nuttin time delay from 8 to 6 hours to speed up oreberry and bush production.

11: Changed Imp Stew recipe to use mango instead of plum.

12: Added Custom LootMod and changed chest rewards to more suitable ones for the pack.

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
I noticed that most infinite water sources were removed, including the water barrel from Pam's Harvestcraft. But the other three sources from Pam's (stone basin, clay barrel, and brick well) weren't.

Was this an oversight or because they're a little harder to make?

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
Looking forward to the update. I like the changes regarding berries and Taint Nuttin, because those areas were the ones where I had the worst bottlenecks so far. Especially when you wait for a long time and start running out of food. :D

Noticed that my SPUD now opened up. But haven't been brave enough to go down there and clear the first level. Getting close to the quests where I can make a pick, so breaking those annoying spawners will get a bit easier.

I am considering doing a restart because of the remodelled SPUD, but since I haven't been down in the current one I will never experience what changed if I restart now. :D

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
I noticed that most infinite water sources were removed, including the water barrel from Pam's Harvestcraft. But the other three sources from Pam's (stone basin, clay barrel, and brick well) weren't.

Was this an oversight or because they're a little harder to make?

Oversight? Do you really think I'd miss something as obvious as that?

Okay, you got me, it was a kind of oversight as in I completely missed noticing them when I was looking for water sources to nerf.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Shame it was after I had uploaded the latest update but that's the way it goes sometimes. I've just quickly removed them as recipes and redone the upload but I did notice its already being considered so I may have been too late.

NTW, water isn't such a big deal in the game these days with regards to having a permanent water source further down the track but I do like the idea of having to build your own water source capturing rain to water your gardens.

Cheers.......

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of water, I might be wrong here and I didn't completely check it, but when I looked through NEI I think I saw that you can craft the railcraft water tank. And as far as I know it collects water out of thin air.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Looking forward to the update. I like the changes regarding berries and Taint Nuttin, because those areas were the ones where I had the worst bottlenecks so far. Especially when you wait for a long time and start running out of food. :D

Noticed that my SPUD now opened up. But haven't been brave enough to go down there and clear the first level. Getting close to the quests where I can make a pick, so breaking those annoying spawners will get a bit easier.

I am considering doing a restart because of the remodelled SPUD, but since I haven't been down in the current one I will never experience what changed if I restart now. :D

Good idea about checking out the current SPUD. Then you'll have a better idea of how much the new one has changed. Its always difficult trying to remove bottlenecks as they don't always happen during play. Hopefully the change will be for the better.....

Speaking of water, I might be wrong here and I didn't completely check it, but when I looked through NEI I think I saw that you can craft the railcraft water tank. And as far as I know it collects water out of thin air.

Just checked and couldn't find a railcraft water tank. You aren't thinking about the Open Blocks tank that is made using 7 pieces of clear glass are by any chance are you?

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
I apologize if I looked at the wrong stuff yesterday and telling BS here. I am not ingame right now, so I cant doublecheck. The water tank is a multiblock structure. The blocks you need are water tank sidings. http://railcraft.info/wiki/device:water_tank

edit: If it is actually in there, keeping it might be cool, just make it more expensive. :D
Doesn't work in a desert, but you got rid of that anyway.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
You might consider the better boat mod if you make boats non-craftable. At least then boats break into boats and are far less likely to accidentally break due to desync. Otherwise somebody will visit an island, think the boat is going to safely go one way, then jump out only to see the boat do a 180 and then ram into the island, turning itself into kindling. Which is very annoying even when you can craft boats. :)

Of course if somebody boats out to an island to clear a cavern and then dies out there they're still royally screwed since they won't have a boat to go back to get their stuff. They can build a glider though and carry a few stacks of blocks and then just nerdpole glider hop from island to island, I suppose. That's probably better than a boat anyhow, as long as it doesn't turn to night mid-flight. One related note is that you can get lily-pads with an mfr fisher and a lily pad is placeable on water so you'd be able to build a sleeping platform anywhere in the water if you had to. Angel blocks work too I suppose although feathers are quite rare in skyblock since the only source in 1.5.0 is zombie jockeys. There are ways to kill the baby zombie and grab the chicken. I also have a few eggs from somewhere which could be the start of a chicken farm so maybe feathers aren't as rare as I thought they were.

Last edited:

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
I apologize if I looked at the wrong stuff yesterday and telling BS here. I am not ingame right now, so I cant doublecheck. The water tank is a multiblock structure. The blocks you need are water tank sidings. http://railcraft.info/wiki/device:water_tank

edit: If it is actually in there, keeping it might be cool, just make it more expensive. :D
Doesn't work in a desert, but you got rid of that anyway.

You're absolutely right that the water tank siding is still i the game and craftable. I never even noticed it before. the good news fo rme however is that Railcraft didn't make it able to absorb water until version 5.30. Marooned is running version 5.00 so its not a free water source.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention though. Its posts like yours that help me to keep the game running along the path I intended it to go.