[1.7.10] Marooned

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
I probably can find out once it gets released, but I am going to ask now: Where are the ruins in the Skyblock version? Elder Sign had a big hole in his recordings due to some audio issues, so all I got is that there are bedrock ruines hidden in the floating Tinkers Islands? Are there also ruins in the nether? Or is it mainly grabbing stuff from the nether until you get some basic ore processing and cobble gen going and then go from there?

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
q: is this available on the curse launcher?

As cannajan has thoughtfully posted the answer already, I'll simply confirm what she has said. Thanks cannajan.

I probably can find out once it gets released, but I am going to ask now: Where are the ruins in the Skyblock version? Elder Sign had a big hole in his recordings due to some audio issues, so all I got is that there are bedrock ruines hidden in the floating Tinkers Islands? Are there also ruins in the nether? Or is it mainly grabbing stuff from the nether until you get some basic ore processing and cobble gen going and then go from there?

We are an eager beaver aren't we? So as not to spoil the surprise for others I'll answer your question in a spoiler.

Generally sky worlds don't have ruins but in this case we had to find a way to provide cave spiders and bats for the kill quests. I didn't want regular ruins spoiling the atmosphere of the skyblock so decided to put bats/cavespiders inside of a floating island to make it seem more natural. Having them predominantly enclosed in bedrock provided a security to stop players digging down for safety and finding themselves falling into what was originally the void below. We've since changed it to water so that we could retain the gravestones with some assurance players would be able to retrieve their goods again. Clearly, I'm not inclined to spend time now changing the bedrock as it would still be frustrating falling into the water.

As to where they are, we've thoughtfully placed two islands fairly close to the platform and you can see them easily. One is a regular island and the other contains a hidden ruin. I don't think it would be fair to make players travel too far just to find some slimes, bats or cavespiders. These aren't the only placed ruins by any means. I believe in rewarding adventurous players with interesting stuff to find if they can be bothered going out and looking for them.

There are absolutely NO ruins in the Nether. They can cause too much lag there. You actually don't have to spend that much time in the Nether. You need to gather some of the wood native to the Nether along with a few other items and then decide how you want to proceed, be it spending most of your time in the skyworld and only returning to the Nether when you require something in particular, or perhaps building a more substantial base in the Nether and growing most of your supplies there and transferring them into the skyworld as required. There's actually a lot of flexibility in the way you can approach your build.

One thing I'd strongly recommend for every player is to LOOK before blindly lashing out at a mob from the nether. NO pigmen will attack you unless you attack them first. If you hit one, all the rest within the vicinity will gang up on you and take you down, and I don't mean downtown to buy you a soda.

One thing about Elder is he likes a greater challenge and has told me he usually has mob griefing turned on which allows blocks to be blown up. We have turned off that feature for the skyworld to preserve players sky platforms. The first skyworld video that Elder made also had 5% of pigmen starting off enraged and that's why he had so much trouble surviving in it. I've yet to see his latest outing so don't know whether he's played it as it came or changed anything.

One last thing, since you're clearly a curious character, I thought you might like a sneak preview of what the new saves Template looks like.
template.png
Cheers

EDIT: Just remembered, I updated the 'What's coming for 1.5.0 on the main page today if anyone is interested in finding out what's been added since the last time I was there.

Last edited:

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
I just like to read your very lengthy detailed answers. Otherwise this thread becomes boring. :D

Hm template 2 seems like a new one or maybe my brain is just playing games with me.

Last edited:

Swat_Raptor

Jul 29, 2019
reading up on the changes to 1.5.0
Hmm expensive TNT you say. Guess this means I'm back to catching creepers and getting them to explode where I want.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
reading up on the changes to 1.5.0
Hmm expensive TNT you say. Guess this means I'm back to catching creepers and getting them to explode where I want.

Well, not so much expensive as now made with some ingredients you can't get early in the game. On the positive side you'll be able to munch on zombie steaks while you're working your way towards making some TNT.

Hmmmmm zombies.........

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
I can't wait to see more than just Red sand

Sadly it looks like you'll have to wait a bit longer as I've now discovered that customitems doesn't play well with special mobs and causes too many crashes. I've been forced to remove it due to incompatibility problems. I've looked around for an alternative and there is nothing suitable I can use. My only option at this point is to either abandon the new additions or make my own mod. I'm already familiar with modding from the Beta version 1.7.3 and am hoping the transition to 1.7.10 won't be too difficult. I'll be starting work on it early next week when I get more time.

I'll keep you updated on my progress.

Sorry about the delay, I should have tested custom items more thoroughly before committing myself to including it in the pack.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Sadly it looks like you'll have to wait a bit longer as I've now discovered that customitems doesn't play well with special mobs and causes too many crashes. I've been forced to remove it due to incompatibility problems. I've looked around for an alternative and there is nothing suitable I can use. My only option at this point is to either abandon the new additions or make my own mod. I'm already familiar with modding from the Beta version 1.7.3 and am hoping the transition to 1.7.10 won't be too difficult. I'll be starting work on it early next week when I get more time.

I'll keep you updated on my progress.

Sorry about the delay, I should have tested custom items more thoroughly before committing myself to including it in the pack.

NEW UPDATE: I've uploaded the 1.5.0 update and its awaiting approval. Will let you know if/when its approved. Hopefully you'll all find it was worth the extended wait........

Cheers........

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
Nice.

Made a new Savanna map and my first attempt ended after half an hour with my world getting deleted. I noticed a small bug in the world template mod, when your island deletes, it doesnt delete the complete folder, so making a new world from template with the same name doesn't work. You have to manually delete the directory first. But I guess that is a small bug on the side of HQM or the template mod.

I like the two quests that give a shovel and an axe. My strategy now is usually to rush for those 5 saplings, by cutting down all trees with leaves that I can find on day 1 and ignoring those without. With the shovel you can then proceed to do the axe quest. The only problem I have is that I am running out of flint very fast now. :D

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Nice.

Made a new Savanna map and my first attempt ended after half an hour with my world getting deleted. I noticed a small bug in the world template mod, when your island deletes, it doesnt delete the complete folder, so making a new world from template with the same name doesn't work. You have to manually delete the directory first. But I guess that is a small bug on the side of HQM or the template mod.

I like the two quests that give a shovel and an axe. My strategy now is usually to rush for those 5 saplings, by cutting down all trees with leaves that I can find on day 1 and ignoring those without. With the shovel you can then proceed to do the axe quest. The only problem I have is that I am running out of flint very fast now. :D

Soooooo, 4 new colours of sand and you chose the red sand again? If you want more flint, go after the brutish zombies. They tend to carry some flint with them, sometimes.

As for the game holding onto your dead worlds. I had to do it that way as I found that when its configured to remove them automatically, the game crashes when you try to make a new game. Besides, it also gives players a chance to 'remember' the exact name they gave their game so they can keep their waypoints.

cannajan

Jul 29, 2019
Oh good its out :D now to choose skyblock or savanna maybe I'll try both and see how they go :)
the folder thing is vanilla isnt it? just dont use the same name if you need to make a new world.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Oh good its out :D now to choose skyblock or savanna maybe I'll try both and see how they go :)
the folder thing is vanilla isnt it? just dont use the same name if you need to make a new world.

There is a maps folder that contains all the originals except the skyworld. You just go into the template section and make a name for your game and choose from the list of available templates. your chosen game will show in the saves for the future. If you lose all your lives with that game you'll need to delete it [see previous msg] and make a new game. You'll never have to worry about not having an unused save game again.

I'd choose a save game for now. My jinx is still working and I forgot to change some sticky pistons in the new portal island. Long story, its been fixed but will need to be updated. The skyworld is playable, you just can't get to the twilight forest until I get the upload approved.

Hope you enjoy the changes..............

PS: You can giver your save any name you want, even the same as the ones in the template...:cool:

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
Quick question: You removed the crooks because of that dupe bug. You apparently also removed the Silkworms , right?

I wanted to make more Arrows. You get infested leaves for the fletchings, by using the recipe where you surround a silkworm with leaves I think, but I cant get any silkworm now. I occasionally find infested trees, but without a crook they don't seem to drop any silkworms. They are also quiet rare anyway. (To be fair I haven't checked yet whether you changed or removed the recipe for shears).
So how can I make the Arrow parts?
And are those infested trees only in the worldgen or does a uninfested maple tree become infested by itself over time?

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Quick question: You removed the crooks because of that dupe bug. You apparently also removed the Silkworms , right?

I wanted to make more Arrows. You get infested leaves for the fletchings, by using the recipe where you surround a silkworm with leaves I think, but I cant get any silkworm now. I occasionally find infested trees, but without a crook they don't seem to drop any silkworms. They are also quiet rare anyway. (To be fair I haven't checked yet whether you changed or removed the recipe for shears).
So how can I make the Arrow parts?
And are those infested trees only in the worldgen or does a uninfested maple tree become infested by itself over time?

Uninfested trees do not become infested over time unless they come into contact with either a silkworm or another infested leaf.

Silkworms haven't been removed but as you stated they won't drop without a crook. Infested trees are still in the game randomly spawning. Shears are definitely still available to get leaves for making fletchings.

There are a couple of ways to make infested leaves. The easiest and most convenient is to harvest an infested leaf with your shears and then place it on a healthy maple tree. It will become infected.

Another way is to plant a maple sapling 2 blocks away from an already infested tree's leaves. When it grows, its leaves will touch the leaves of the infected tree and will become infected as well. This is a handy way to get some leaves ready for harvesting before you have enough iron to make shears.

You can also make arrows using feathers if you happen to come across any. Some mobs drop them.

EDIT: The recipe for making infested leaves using healthy leaves and a silkworm is a recipe I'd forgotten about that doesn't really have a use at the moment. I'll probably use it in the next update so players in the skyworld can also infest leaves. It will of course spill over into the land based worlds as an alternative to getting infested leaves. Thanks for reminding me about it.

Last edited: