All Becomes Grey [SIGNUP AND OOC THREAD] [ROLEPLAY] [POSSIBLE MATURE CONTENT]

LivingAngryCheese

Over-Achiever
Aug 22, 2014
A place
Some answers: That combustible thing is just a bit of flavor. I fixed my inability to write correctly (in a couple places, and gave Merdia more of a story. Made the wall of fire shapeable, so he could surround himself with the wall to prevent people from getting to him. @lenscas You're correct, but I've changed it so it sounds better. I've also updated my Appearance and Personality to reflect some of the changes)

Name: Erildus Oritun
Magiks: Fire
Appearance (picture or description): Human wearing a sort of clockwork device powered by a fire elemental that can shoot fire a short distance. Also wearing dark blue leather armor, and has a sword at his waist. He wears a necklace with a small, purple gem heart.
Personality: Can be hostile, usually sees the worse of people, and is typically a loner. He always keeps a coin handy for children on the street. He hates the cold and any form of magic that revolves around it.
Backstory (You've always lived in Pert):

Erildus grew up in the center of Pert as an orphan. His parents died earlier than his memory, fighting to protect him. Typically a smaller child, Erildus was always harassed by the other orphans (of which there were many), and made few friends. When alone, he tinkered with small clockwork mechanisms, which interested him greatly. Around ten years old, Erildus discovered that he could manipulate fire to his liking. He initially hid his discovery, telling only his close friend (and fellow orphan) Merdia. She encouraged him to use his power to help the settlement defend against the constant attacks by hostile creatures. As she was already nearly old enough to fight (She was older, almost 14 (age of leaving the orphanage) at the time), she promised to get him out of the control of the orphanage once she was old enough. Once that happened, Erlidus was free to fight and do as he wanted. During the down time he used his skill with small contraptions to set traps for enemies, before discovering that a device that makes a big display of flame is far more scary and effective. With this in mind, he trapped a small fire elemental in a cage built to be fire resistant, and channels its energy into a more projectile form of flame, creating the one of a kind Inferno Device. After several years of fighting, Merdia was killed, by an ice spike in the chest. As she died in his arms, he swore to hunt down her killer, but has so far been unable to find him. Ever since, he has always hated cold magic, and wears her necklace.

Equipment: Leather armor, the Inferno Device (flamethrower), a Clockwork Saber (simple looking longsword with some hidden clockwork features, such as a flip out second blade and timekeeping and navigation device), and Merdia's necklace (No special effects). Also carries some equipment to make some simple traps.

Stats
Health: 4
Armour: 5
Agility: 3
Strength: 5
Accuracy: 3
Magical skill: 3
Magical defense: 2

Magical abilities (Italics represent spells/activated abilities, Bold represents a passive power):
Flame Dart: Shoots a dart of fire at an enemy. Rolls Magical Skill against Magical Defense. Bypasses armor but does little damage, unless the armor is specifically designed against fire. (Not sure if this is better @RJS ?)
Wall of Conflagration: Creates a wall of fire approximately 10 feet high, with a length of up to 60 feet, in any shape. 2 turn cooldown. Burns anyone who crosses, but doesn't prove a physical barrier.
Blaze Armor: Gains +2 Bonus to Armour or Magical Defense, decided upon casting. 2 turn? cooldown, lasts for 3 turns? Flammables that make contact while the spell is active (but nothing on his person) may catch fire. (Feedback on this?)\\

OK, on the topic of your abilities.

Flame Dart: This was fine before, change it back
Wall of Conflagration: This still doesn't work. All abilities in this rp must have something to do with stats. I would recommend:
+1 to magik defence until the start of next turn. Any physical attacks that hit but do not damage on Erildus get automatically hit with a magik attack.

Blaze Armour is fine, 2 turn cooldown, lasts for 3 turns.

Reactions: erindalc

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Name: Lexia
Magiks: Natural
Appearance (picture or description):
Personality: Gentle, caring. She wants to help whoever she can no matter the personal cost.
Lexia was born and raised in Pert. Her family isn't quite wealthy, and so they lived in a makeshift hut on the outskirts of town. The only thing special about lexia is her natural ability.

Her family were nothing but humble farmers, and lexia always loved tending to the crops. She discovered with very little help a simple charm to increase crop yield and protect them from dangers such as pests or blight. She also befriended a large rat. They became inseperable.

When she started school, she brought her rat with her, and it immediately set her apart. What her and her family didn't know at the time was the rat was actually a weak monster. In school, she refused to take classes in swords or bows, and focused on her floramancy. She discovered several ways to use it in battle, both in offence and defence, and through her friendship with the rat, she was able to develop a charming skill to lure weaker monsters to her side. The rat was bound as a familiar, and was given the name Arkus.

for her armor and staff, she made them herself through weeks of meditation under a certain tree, communing with it, designing the item within the tree's flesh, all without doing and permanent damage to the tree. In return, she used her magic to grow the tree to new hights, and strengthen its roots against pests. For the gauntlets, the tree put a piece of its own soul into them. These allow her to channel her magic in a more effective fashion.
Equipment: A full set of ironwood armor and a pair of livingwood gauntlets. Also a giant rat familiar named Arkus. See backstory for more info.
Stats (25 total):

Armour: 3
Strength: 2
Accuracy: 4
Magical skill: 5
Magical defence: 4

Magical abilities (3 total):
Charm Creature: Charms an enemy to fight for me.

Bramble: summons a mass of thorny vines that blocks attacks and damages physical attackers. Any magical or ranged attacks that get absorbed by the bramble are deflected back at the attacker. Projectiles are caught and launched back while magic is absorbed and recast.

Vine Whip: Summons a large vine to attack the enemy with.

Charm creature: Roll magic attack. If roll is 3 times or more than magic defence roll, creature becomes under Lexia's control. Maximum creatures is magical skill/5 rounded up. 3 turn cooldown.

Vine Whip: Basic magical attack. No cooldown.

Bramble: +1 armor and magic defence until next turn. Any attack that fails to penetrate armor or magic defence while the bramble is active is counterattacked with lexia's magic attack. However, any deflected magic that deals damage will keep the original effects. For example, if a magic attack that also deals a debuff is deflected and deals damage to the attacker, then the attacker suffers the accuracy debuff.

Note: Arkus the rat doesn't do much fighting and is more of a companion than anything else.
I just edited my character sheet. I moved the ability lore to its own section (spoilered) and made the combat statistics separate. I also changed vine whip to not have any cooldown per cheese's decree, and edited bramble to be clearer on its effects. It deflects any attack with a magic attack that retains the original attack's special effects.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
I just edited my character sheet. I moved the ability lore to its own section (spoilered) and made the combat statistics separate. I also changed vine whip to not have any cooldown per cheese's decree, and edited bramble to be clearer on its effects. It deflects any attack with a magic attack that retains the original attack's special effects.
I've just had a good look at Lexia's creature taming ability. Feel free to look at SE's compendium where I've written it up in detail, but in essence, it's just too overpowered at the moment, and any ability that brings in an extra fighter to your team will end up being extremely hard to balance and I recommend that you look at getting another ability entirely.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yDI6wBqoIOhs2f-M9NZ72DBYaHtCqMHLFj7tRXQ3CR8/edit#gid=0

I've finally taken a proper look at everyone's cooldowns, and commented on what I reckon is the most balanced cooldown - the most glaring ones were when identical abilities had different cooldowns. Almost everyone has a comment on their cooldowns.
I've also commented a few abilities:
@manchester66 with Acar's Soothing Wind.
@RJS with the specifics of Cait's Choking Mist.
@TheRageKnight with Astora's Enrage and Luma made a very good point about an exploit with Redemption.
@Someone Else 37 with an important typo on Linessa's Vortex Barrier.
@LivingAngryCheese with Calhoun's enrage.
(Continued in next post because you can only ping five people in each)

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
I changed my stats around a bit to make more sense. Unless anyone has a big problem with something, this should be pretty much done.

[/spoiler]
Appearance (picture or description): Human wearing a sort of clockwork device powered by a fire elemental that can shoot fire a short distance. Also wearing dark blue leather armor, and has a sword at his waist. He wears a necklace with a small, purple gem heart.
Personality: Can be hostile, usually sees the worse of people, and is typically a loner. He always keeps a coin handy for children on the street. He hates the cold and any form of magic that revolves around it.

Erildus grew up in the center of Pert as an orphan. His parents died earlier than his memory, fighting to protect him. Typically a smaller child, Erildus was always harassed by the other orphans (of which there were many), and made few friends. When alone, he tinkered with small clockwork mechanisms, which interested him greatly. Around ten years old, Erildus discovered that he could manipulate fire to his liking. He initially hid his discovery, telling only his close friend (and fellow orphan) Merdia. She encouraged him to use his power to help the settlement defend against the constant attacks by hostile creatures. As she was already nearly old enough to fight (She was older, almost 14 (age of leaving the orphanage) at the time), she promised to get him out of the control of the orphanage once she was old enough. Once that happened, Erlidus was free to fight and do as he wanted. During the down time he used his skill with small contraptions to set traps for enemies, before discovering that a device that makes a big display of flame is far more scary and effective. With this in mind, and with Merdia's help, he trapped a small wandering fire elemental in a cage built to be fire resistant, and channels its energy into a more projectile form of flame, creating the one of a kind Inferno Device. After several years of fighting, Merdia was killed, by an ice spike in the chest. As she died in his arms, he swore to hunt down her killer, but has so far been unable to find him. Ever since, he has always hated cold magic, and wears her necklace.

Equipment: Leather armor, the Inferno Device (flamethrower), a Clockwork Saber (simple looking longsword with some hidden clockwork features, such as a flip out pommel blade and timekeeping and navigation device), and Merdia's necklace (No special effects). Also carries some equipment to make some simple traps.

Stats

Magical abilities (Italics represent spells/activated abilities, Bold represents a passive power):
Flame Dart: Shoots a dart of fire at an enemy. Rolls Magical Skill against Magical Defense
Wall of Conflagration: Creates a wall of fire surrounding Erildus or another party member. Anyone that attacks the target of the spell rolls magical defense again Erildus's magical skill.
Blaze Armor: Gains +2 Bonus to Armour or Magical Defense, decided upon casting. 2 turn cooldown, lasts for 3 turns. Flammables that make contact while the spell is active (but nothing on his person) may catch fire.

Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

LivingAngryCheese

Over-Achiever
Aug 22, 2014
A place
I changed my stats around a bit to make more sense. Unless anyone has a big problem with something, this should be pretty much done.

[/spoiler]

Erildus grew up in the center of Pert as an orphan. His parents died earlier than his memory, fighting to protect him. Typically a smaller child, Erildus was always harassed by the other orphans (of which there were many), and made few friends. When alone, he tinkered with small clockwork mechanisms, which interested him greatly. Around ten years old, Erildus discovered that he could manipulate fire to his liking. He initially hid his discovery, telling only his close friend (and fellow orphan) Merdia. She encouraged him to use his power to help the settlement defend against the constant attacks by hostile creatures. As she was already nearly old enough to fight (She was older, almost 14 (age of leaving the orphanage) at the time), she promised to get him out of the control of the orphanage once she was old enough. Once that happened, Erlidus was free to fight and do as he wanted. During the down time he used his skill with small contraptions to set traps for enemies, before discovering that a device that makes a big display of flame is far more scary and effective. With this in mind, and with Merdia's help, he trapped a small wandering fire elemental in a cage built to be fire resistant, and channels its energy into a more projectile form of flame, creating the one of a kind Inferno Device. After several years of fighting, Merdia was killed, by an ice spike in the chest. As she died in his arms, he swore to hunt down her killer, but has so far been unable to find him. Ever since, he has always hated cold magic, and wears her necklace.

Equipment: Leather armor, the Inferno Device (flamethrower), a Clockwork Saber (simple looking longsword with some hidden clockwork features, such as a flip out pommel blade and timekeeping and navigation device), and Merdia's necklace (No special effects). Also carries some equipment to make some simple traps.

Stats

Flame Dart: Shoots a dart of fire at an enemy. Rolls Magical Skill against Magical Defense
Wall of Conflagration: Creates a wall of fire surrounding Erildus or another party member. Anyone that attacks the target of the spell rolls magical defense again Erildus's magical skill.
Blaze Armor: Gains +2 Bonus to Armour or Magical Defense, decided upon casting. 2 turn cooldown, lasts for 3 turns. Flammables that make contact while the spell is active (but nothing on his person) may catch fire.

That should be fine, but if you want to have it become equal to Lexia's bramble, the person receiving the flame wall should receive +1 magik defence.

Reactions: erindalc

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
so...because of the amount of changes I think a new post is in order (especially as this post will contain more then just Nahiri)

Due to it being pretty darn long, the backstory of the characters can be found here. This will get updated as needed or if I just want to work on it
Name: Nahiri (might change)
Appearance (picture or description):
tumblr_o41gc3ITd21u6mclko1_1280.jpg
Personality: Nahiri likes to discover and create new things. She also is very protective, rather being hurt herself then seeing others in pain.
Backstory (You've always lived in Pert): See above link
Stats (25 total):

Health: 6
Armour: 4
Agility: 4
Strength: 1
Magical skill: 3
Magical defense: 4

Hedron setup: Nahiri creates a Hedron and chooses either ally or enemy and magical skill or accuracy(1 turn cooldown). They are considered part of the network for 1 turn.

Network Repair that has the following effect: “up to 2 nodes in the network regains 1 hp each, ignoring max health. If no nodes are currently summoned, the next one enters play with 4hp. Cooldown of 1 turn.”

Network shielding: Whenever a networked enemy uses an ability targeting Nahiri or a networked ally, the ability targets Nahiri instead. Then, the user of that ability is hit with an automatic magical counterattack, with an MgS of Nahiri's mgs plus the number of ally targeting Hedrons
Magical abilites
Network Binding : Upon creation the Hedron selects two random characters on the team that got chosen by Nahiri (they can't target Nahiri, nor can one Hedron target the same character twice) and connects them to the Hedron network
Magical disturbance : When the targeted characters use an ability they gain -1 to the stat that got chosen by Nahiri if the character is an enemy
Magical focus : When the targeted characters use an ability they gain +1 to the stat that got chosen by Nahiri if the character is an ally
Stats
Health: 2
Armour: 1
Agility: 1
Accuracy: 1
Magical skill: 1
Magical defense: 1
Name: Darien
Magic: holy (shadow at the cost of sanity)
Appearance: soon.™
Personality: Darien doesn't talk much, always looks wary due to the voice in his head.

Stats (25 total):
Magical skill: 6
Magical defense: 3

Inner voice: (Not yet done, passive that will somehow change his other abilities depending on his sanity)
Holy protection: Darien uses his holy magic to shield someone and will create a "barrier" between him and his inner voice improving his sanity (but not for long.....)
give in: (Will decrease his sanity, should be used carefully as he can loose his sanity without using this. This will be shadow magic (and probably a bit weak))
Name: Eron
Appearance: soon.™
Personality: Hates to see children in pain and isn't scared to punish those that are the cause of it.

Stats (25 total):
Health: 5
Accuracy: 5
Magical skill: 1

Heated armor: Eron and his allies have a ring of magical fire around them that will jump to nearby beings that want to do harm (When attacked, the attacker gets a normal ember stack on them. This ability also counts for minions)

Heated sword: If Eron attacks an enemy and the total amount of embers are smaller then the defenders magic defence. Ignore Heat the Embers and add a small ember to the opponent instead.

Heat the embers: The presence of Eron's sword will cause the Embers to become a real fire, dealing magic damage equal to the amount of Embers on him. After this one normal ember is removed together with all the small embers.

Last edited:

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
and I know I am mean by double posting but my previous post already becomes quite a bit of pain to edit because of the amount of text.....So without further talk, I present to you
The (dead) sisters of pain and death

Magic dark
Backstory

Accuracy: 4
Magical skill: 4
Magical defense: 4

Shared ability:
Twinned souls: The souls of the twin can and will often change who controls the body, allowing them to cast away all magic that was used on them in the process.

Passive: Ever x turns swap between the characters. Remove all debufs and buffs in the process. (This also counts for stuff like Ylva's venom(?)) The health is carried over.

Morana
Appearance: WIP

Personality: Morana stays calm and doesn't like big groups. Due to how she is raised she can easily forgive others if they acted in revenge or something similar.

Ability:

Death's hand: Morana casts a dark aura over her hand, causing all life she touches to wither away.
(Basic magic attack)

Offer a painless death: Rather then forcing her magic on to others Morana uses the pain her target is in from Mahlah's torture to have her target accept the gift of dead.

Mahlah
Appearance: Mahlah has long black hair and red eyes, the way she looks at people is often considered creepy and it isn't uncommen for others to be at unease when she is around. Weird symbols made using a red material are painted everywhere on her skin. Her clothes are black, with red stains on them. She uses thick chains where most others would use some kind of belt and wears a skirt. And has plenty of knifes attached for easy access to the chains she wears.

Personality: Though you shouldn't say bad things about her sister it isn't uncommon for her to put her sister or anyone for that matter in harms way. In fact, when it comes to hurting others she sometimes goes out of her way to do it. She justifies the pain she does to her sister to the fact that its thanks to her that she died. However it is mostly her sadistic insanity that is behind it together with the fact that Morana is pretty much the only outlet for it now that she doesn't have a body of her own.

Ability:

Break bones, tear flesh and fester organs: Mahlah's 3 favorite spells to cause harm, one to break bones, another to cause someones flesh to tear and the other to fester organs. However she often confuses them. Not that it matters for her, harm is harm and these spells do in her eyes a pretty good job at it and the casting of the wrong one can lead to some fun surprises.
Basic magic attack, but can do only 1 damage and damage is converted into lowering random stats this includes health. For example If Mahlah would deal 3 damage, instead armor is decreased by 1. If it dealt damage her opponent also gains "pain" (Read Morana's offer of death)

Mind destruction: Though Mahlah likes physical torture more then mentally ones, she is able to do perform it pretty well, for as long as it doesn't need to be precise that is.
Target gains "pain" and does some random effects if it is successful.

Last edited:
R

RIchardBoss22

Bit late

Name: Persolus
Magiks: light
Appearance:
upload_2016-6-7_18-15-9.png

Personality: Solitary, goes with the flow.
Backstory: Persolus lived with his loving parents until the age of 16 where he left home and trained with a fairly elite group of fighters. When Persolus was 18 he and the party left on a quest to kill a mother crawler whose children were raiding Pert nightly. The party was successful at entering the nest but in the fight against the mother crawler things went wrong. The group together almost killed the mother but a huge amount of the eggs ont the walls on the nest hatched and began to savage the party. Persolus luckily was able to turn invisible and avoid the wrath of the new-borns however the rest of the group did not do so well. He watched helplessly as his friends died to the immense swarm of crawlers. In his anger he came up behind the mother and stabbed her in the heart with his dagger, then skinned her pelt and turned it into a cloak. He has preferred to fight alone and has a hatred for Crawlers ever since.
Equipment: A cloak and light Dagger
Stats (25 total):

Armour: 2
Agility: 7
Strength: 3
Accuracy: 2
Magical defence: 2

Invisibility: Caster bends light around himself and becomes unable to be hit, can stay invisible for multiple turns but each turn subtracts 1 Magical skill from the user. When magical skill reaches 0 Caster stops being invisible. When attacking or using an ability while invisible, Caster stops being invisible but attacks get +1 Accuracy. When no longer invisible user gains +1 Magical Skill at the end of each turn, until back to original level.

Flash Bang: Caster emits a blinding light that decreases opponents Accuracy by 2 for 2 turns.

Light Feet: Caster converts photons into chemical energy allowing caster to run faster, +2 Agility for 3 turns.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Bit late

Name: Persolus
Magiks: light
Appearance:View attachment 27862
Personality: Solitary, goes with the flow.
Backstory: Persolus lived with his loving parents until the age of 16 where he left home and trained with a fairly elite group of fighters. When Persolus was 18 he and the party left on a quest to kill a mother crawler whose children were raiding Pert nightly. The party was successful at entering the nest but in the fight against the mother crawler things went wrong. The group together almost killed the mother but a huge amount of the eggs on the walls on the nest hatched and began to savage the party. Persolus luckily was able to turn invisible and avoid the wrath of the new-borns however the rest of the group did not do so well. He watched helplessly as his friends died to the immense swarm of crawlers. In his anger he came up behind the mother and stabbed her in the heart with his dagger, then skinned her pelt and turned it into a cloak. He has preferred to fight alone and has a hatred for Crawlers ever since.
Equipment: A cloak and light Dagger
Stats (25 total):

Armour: 2
Agility: 7
Strength: 3
Accuracy: 2
Magical defence: 2

Invisibility: Caster bends light around himself and becomes unable to be hit, can stay invisible for multiple turns but each turn subtracts 1 Magical skill from the user. When magical skill reaches 0 Caster stops being invisible. When attacking or using an ability while invisible, Caster stops being invisible but attacks get +1 Accuracy. When no longer invisible user gains +1 Magical Skill at the end of each turn, until back to original level.

Flash Bang: Caster emits a blinding light that decreases opponents Accuracy by 2 for 2 turns.

Light Feet: Caster converts photons into chemical energy allowing caster to run faster, +2 Agility for 3 turns.

For the appearance you either need a full-body picture or a written description of his full figure.

The personality really needs a little more effort, think about how your character thinks and feels compared to others. Is he kind? Uncaring? Cruel? Somewhere in between? Talk about all of his personality traits, not just two small ones.

The backstory's interesting, but how did he get to Pert, the place he's meant to be living now?

His stats look pretty well-constructed, nicely done.

Flash Bang and Light Feet need a cooldown, I'd say at least 2 turns each. Invisibility is done in a unique way, I like it.