rhn's continued adventures: a build journal, guide collection etc.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
y'know, I've seen etho do it before, but I think this would look really good with your builds aswell, having NPC's around the base that either do jobs or you can talk to
such as seeing archers ontop of the towers, or a farmer taking care of the horses, or a merchant in a shop

thouhg I don't know if it'll affect the FPS alot...

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
y'know, I've seen etho do it before, but I think this would look really good with your builds aswell, having NPC's around the base that either do jobs or you can talk to
such as seeing archers ontop of the towers, or a farmer taking care of the horses, or a merchant in a shop

thouhg I don't know if it'll affect the FPS alot...
I had planned to abduct a bunch of villagers and witchery village guards. But Custom NPCs have been mentioned a lot and it looks interesting, though quite "creative" like compared to what I usually do. I might add it and try it out, though the lack of decent non-Sphax x64 texture support bothers me a bit. Though I suppose I can cover most of the guards etc. up in armour etc.

Reactions: Yusunoha

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
First, congratulations on moving out of your cathedral. Second, the idea of gate guards in full Thaumium Fortress Armor is quite impressive (even the cultists Knight armor is badass). I agree it would be better if the textures were better, but I'll not complain due to my skill at texturing being as pisspoor as it is.

Reactions: RealKC

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Did I catch last post of the page itis?

You can actually select user skins for CustomNPCs. So lack of texture support shouldn't be an issue.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Did I catch last post of the page itis?
I had been hoping it would skip to the next page for a while. That last page was getting a bit pic heavy :p

You can actually select user skins for CustomNPCs. So lack of texture support shouldn't be an issue.
User skins are actually always low res due to game limitations. But yes there are almost limitless options from adding your own skins.

But have added Custom NPCs and had a look. By default there's a decent selection of skins(lowres) to choose from. Problem is really all the cool items and blocks it adds.
Most the "blocks" are bits like structures like Decocraft, so you wont really notice the low res on most. The armour, weapons and other items are really noticeable however..

Example:
WyZqIQ5.png

Made a patrolling guard in iron gear(Soartex texture) and with a Custom NPCs shield.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Ah, gotcha.

I meant did my post get missed because it was on the tail of the previous page. I suspect not, but just in case: A buildcraft gate set to produce a redstone signal if there's not a redstone signal will run at extremely high speed, and can turn a dispenser into the minecraft version of an SMG. It makes for epic murder holes. Use an AND gate to ensure the ability to turn it off so it's not making lag. Empties 9 stacks of arrows hilariously fast. For all your zombie apocalypse defense needs.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Ah, gotcha.

I meant did my post get missed because it was on the tail of the previous page. I suspect not, but just in case: A buildcraft gate set to produce a redstone signal if there's not a redstone signal will run at extremely high speed, and can turn a dispenser into the minecraft version of an SMG. It makes for epic murder holes. Use an AND gate to ensure the ability to turn it off so it's not making lag. Empties 9 stacks of arrows hilariously fast. For all your zombie apocalypse defense needs.
Yeah I know ;)
The aiming part sucks though. But have an alternative solution up the sleeve for a future update :p

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Up until recently I have been going to a hole in the ground in my Aroma's Mining World to kill Wither bosses manually. It had been fine as I have not needed many Nether Stars. But it was getting a bit tiresome and saw it as a chance to make another practical build ;)

I am building this mostly just for fun and as a cool little feature. It is not efficient or fast. I am also building it with mobGriefing set to false, so the wither is easily contained and will not break anything.

o3hWWHm.png

Welcome to the "maximum security dungeons execution chamber" :p

DfWn1Sk.png

Down below in what is RPed as the dungeon, we find the usual wither spawning mechanisms:
NoPaVYI.png

I built it quite compact to hard to get a good shot :)
A row of Autonomouse Activators placing Soulsand and another row placing Wither Skulls on redstone signal.
Also a single Endoflame(out of shot) producing Mana.

Inside:
dTOFjVZ.png

(Removed the wall for this shot)
Once the Wither spawns, it is pulled by a Corporeal Attractor onto the Drawbridges which then extends(and turns off the Attractor), bringing the Wither up into the cage above.

Killing the Wither:
uxvqtOx.png

(This and the next picture is taken holding a Botania wand)
Around the cage I have placed 3 Redstone Mana Spreaders with "Bouncing Damaging" lenses. These are set to shoot through openings in the walls of the cage(plugged with Abstruse Platforms camouflaged with the glass) and aimed to bounce around inside the cage. The angle ensures that the burst doesn't just bounce straight back out again.

Different angle:
H5ozlfZ.png

I decided to have the Spreaders charged by other spreaders, despite the slight loss. This was due to how I could avoid having Mana Pools at the Redstone Mana Spreaders and therefore build them up like small "turrets" of some sort(They use so little Mana that it is hilarious. I could probably have charged the main Mana pool once with a tablet and forgotten all about it :p).

Time to introduce a Wither:
cQdLpoa.png

It turns out that the Bouncing Damaging bursts hurt each bounce that pass the boss. And they also seem to bounce off the boss in rather unpredictable ways, resulting in lots of accumulated hits per burst ;)

H1fIfl7.png

Even if the Wither moves off to one side, its hitbox seems to be large enough for the bouncing bursts to hurt it(even though it looks like it is bouncing back and forth besides it).

The Damaging bursts does not count like a player killing the wither, so no special drops will drop. But that just means that no Sigils will drop, which is a Win in my book ;) You still get Nether Stars and Yellow Hearts.
The drops are picked up by a Random Things "Advanced Item Collector" attached to a ME interface hidden under the bridge.

Oh and if anyone was wondering:
ZmuiAb7.png

3xState Cell, 2xTimer and 2x Not gate.

One State Cell's(top middle of the picture) constant output triggers the Drawbridges. This signal is inverted with a Not gate(Top left) to the Corporeal Attractor. The release of the constant signal will start a Timer which pulse restarts the State Cell(restart the cycle).

The previous Timer pulse also triggers another State Cell(far right) which end pulse triggers the Autonomous Activators placing the Wither Skulls. Using a separate State cell here to get the timing right.

The timer pulse also triggers the Third State Cell(Bottom left) which constant output is wired into a NOT gate. This NOT gate then releases a Timer, which pulses the Redstone Mana Spreaders.

By adjusting the timings on the State Cells and Timers it is then possible to have it: Spawn, lower drawbridges, pull Wither, rise drawbridges, start firing, spawn, (wither dies), stop shooting, lower drawbridges, pull Wither, rise drawbridges, start firing...

To stop the system, apply a redstone signal to the first two State Cells on the Lock side(make sure it is after it have brought up a wither and before it has spawned a new, or a Wither will be stuck down in the spawning area).

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
One thing is sure, I should have cleaned up the village a long time ago. The server dropped 1.5-2GB in RAM usage from just that. I have a suspicion that it could have been the jimmied Flaxbeards boiler automation I had set up early on.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
A few sneak peaks of the "new" village in progress:
3dydKgg.png

wwU7IVW.png

o8K212V.png

I would say that about 3/4 of the land is covered in terms of buildings now. What is left is mostly the poor side of town. So a lot of smaller houses perhaps, or weird mashed together ones.
And then there is of course all the detailing and actually putting stuff in all the houses :p

Reactions: Yusunoha

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'm some how seeing the poorer sections of Bravil in Oblivion? Where they're stacked up and not entirely centered on one another?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
What are you using for those wooden braces? The ones connecting the stone walls to the logs on the second stories. I've been using fences, but they don't look anywhere close to that nice.

Edit: it's a shame how much the Custom NPCs stand out against your otherwise crisp textures. I think if the textures on them were even halfway to the rest of your quality, they would be amazing. I like the band idea, but it's like seeing NES Mario playing a role in a Michael Bay film (he needs to be stopped, BTW, but don't even get me started...). I hope your usage alone will prompt a decent texture artist to remedy this.

Last edited:

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
The braces are Immersive Engineering Wooden Wall Mounts.

I keep telling myself to play with Immersive Engineering, but I continue to not do it. I'm adding it to my pack as soon as I get back in front of my computer. Too many things I've loved in that mod to not play with it.

Reactions: KingTriaxx and rhn