rhn's continued adventures: a build journal, guide collection etc.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Edit: it's a shame how much the Custom NPCs stand out against your otherwise crisp textures. I think if the textures on them were even halfway to the rest of your quality, they would be amazing. I like the band idea, but it's like seeing NES Mario playing a role in a Michael Bay film (he needs to be stopped, BTW, but don't even get me started...). I hope your usage alone will prompt a decent texture artist to remedy this.
The problem is actually that is uses Player skins for all the humanoid characters and those are limited in quality by Mojang. Using the Player skins is a really good idea actually, since there is a huge catalogue to choose from on various MC skin sites(most of the bards I just copied urls from a site) or you can simply copy another player if you like(there is a clone of rouge_bare derping around the village as an experiment :p). But yeah sucks a bit compared to other higher quality textures...

Luckily guards etc. can be dressed in high res armour, and you really don't notice the low res that much when they move and walk around.

oO jeebus how are you building so fast? :)
It is going surprisingly fast. I think it is the near-flat ground the village is situated on that helps a lot. Building an identical house up in the castle takes SO much longer to get right.
And that the houses are practically identical with small variations in dimension and/or materials help.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
I remember when you were placing those slabs for that stage on stream and what my reaction was...

Those interested might want to watch the stream playback... as that band does play music ;)

At least he doesn't have such a fascination with the fountain anymore either.... seemed like every time i looked he were in it.

Reactions: rhn

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not yet halfway through the thread and had a scarf holding my jaw since page 3. I dropped by over @rhn's advice through Reddit and this is now one of my happy places. I'm green with envy, but giddy, nonetheless.

Congratulations on this talent/ability/skill.

Reactions: Mindfeak926

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
fsThekG.png

CB8GpuO.png

xorPWJH.png

OvMX3OW.png

fEfN03J.png

jclSfPd.png

I still want to live here. And this was just his starter hut...

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I was kinda hoping to wait with doing an update on the new village till I was all done. But knowing myself it will never really be finished. Always just another little thing to do...
So decided to take the milestone of having covered the entirety of the village in new houses and having done a fair bit of detailing to them, as a chance to give you guys an update:

So, the new village(it is more of town now I think):
1yW0EHo.png

SrytoLn.png

There are so many things I could show off, that it is hard to figure out where to begin... And I will never be able to cover it all here.

At night the town is closed:
6K751cG.png

DZMiCTP.png

All three gatehouses close at dusk and open again at dawn(triggered with Bibliocraft clocks).
Inside the town several other things get triggered by day/night, like shop doors and NPCs routines. Plan to add more of that.

When day comes, the towns people come to life:
U3ZHc2X.png

XKpR5uF.png

Merchants man their stalls, the smiths shop opens(doors triggered again with Bibliocraft clock) and random NPCs leave their homes and start to wander the streets.

Couple of kids playing tag outside the bakery:
vWXWeZY.png

The kids keeps chasing each other(well boy follows girl :p) randomly all over town. Somewhat amusing to follow sometimes.

The Baker shop is fully stocked and working:
PuAAiuO.png

The Baker's Wife tends shop. The chest gets automatically stocked with bread, baked potatoes and other food items for my own use(in case I am in the neighbourhood).

The baker toils away in the back shop:
J1RQBrI.png

Actually he just stands there looking surprised...
Logistic Pipes, Cyclic Assembler, Redstone Furnace(Trivection) etc. is handling my food and cake needs for Botania mana production.

Main Square:
b0HYP0w.png

The large building in the back of the square is the Tavern.

Tavern at night:
FJ4qpL3.png

The band will perform here on stage during the night. I still need to add some barworkers and guests...

During the day the band will perform outside on the "Festival square":
4yGYS8D.png

Need to add some more revellers and stuff.
Btw I discovered that the Drum(Drum of the wild) can be extended by a Drawbridge. So the drummer walks up on stage, steps on Pressure Plate and up pops his drum :p Beats it getting ruined by sitting out over night ;)
You can also just spot the stables in this picture.

Few random shots:
Bookshop:
LARXeYu.png

Fishmonger, Butcher and Washing woman:
eRriSkN.png

Chicken and dairy farm:
NQVTPGs.png

Had to move these outside the town walls, as they were inside the village before. Built this little farmstead for it. The MFR Rancher milking the cows(Still the best and most stable way of getting milk) is powered by the windmill, which was unused up until now.

Still a LOT of work to do. Plan on moving in more "trades" into their respective shops. Like some smeltery automation etc. into the smithy workshop, cooking of fish/meat into the fishmonger/butcher, perhaps potion brewing into the Apothecary(I kinda already have planned to do that in the BM tower). Adding to that a ton of cosmetic detailing and adding lots of new NPC townspeople and guards.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
As usual I have a backlog of stuff that I have to show you guys. Perhaps tomorrow ;)

Just thought I would share this with you:
pmTECwM.png

I have been worried all day over a new Witchery build where I have a Cauldron and Kettle in the middle of a wooden building(when I was sure that the netheracks fire could not spread, the side effects from brewing just caused an explosion that set fire.. Come on!).
Turned out that it was a completely different place I needed to worry about. In fact one of the oldest builds on the world(maybe it needed an upgrade). A lot of trees and the occasional Hay roof have up until now been the victim of lightning strikes. I suppose it was just a matter of time. I think the lightning can bypass the carpenters blocks and set fire under the roofs, thereby not getting put out by the rain. Same with leaves on the large fir trees.

So I have now caved and disabled fire spread...

Reactions: Yusunoha

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Remember this old picture?
IZPAedA.png

I just rediscovered it today when looking up something else. Look at that near pristine world...

Now it looks like this:
HaTia6m.png

Spot the difference? :p

I have decided to set up a proper storage for my Ethereal Essences:
TeWcCR2.png

So made this storeroom in the bottom of the Thaumcraft tower.
Before I just had all the Essences stored on the same ME disc, but it had been full for a long time, and the excess getting voided. So whenever I used something commonly used, it would slowly get filled in on the disc with rarely used essences. So the system was not really working out.
So instead I made this where each essence have its own drawer, and I can therefore now make use of the priority overflow mechanic to send it elsewhere before voiding it, before it gets voided.

And with that in mind(or it was probably mostly the other way around) I built this little side building to the TC tower:
oU9F0CY.png

Yeah I know, I have not gotten around to making the building and the surroundings outside nice yet :p

Its purpose is to house a Nethermind:
zhVIwfe.png

I am using the priority mechanic to feed it overflow Ethereal Essences. They get stored in the Drawers to the right and from there pulled to the Alchemical furnace.
I have hidden a Thaumic Energistics network to handle the storage and voiding of essentia:
O481wAf.png

Each of the five essentias I am using got a formatted storage disc each. When that is filled the rest gets voided(along with Auram) in the Oblivion Jar(Priority again, Love it :p). The storage bus wont recognise the Oblivion jar directly, therefore the Warded Jar->Buffer steps.
I made it this way since I definitely wont be getting the overflow in the exact amounts required by the Nethermind.
I discovered that the Nethermind will draw the Essentia directly out of an Infusion provider, so no need for ugly jars. Built it into the spiky thing in the middle.

Now for the main attraction, the Nethermind itself:
tDjYJSG.png

FDFhkjU.png

I have it "runed" to spawn Netherrack x2, Soulsand and Nether Quartz.
To mine the produce I use 5x Redstone Mana Spreaders with Bore lenses(The Mana bursts pass through the Obsidian tiles because they are Abstruse Platforms that are camouflaged. If there is nothing to mine, the bursts just get absorbed and sent back to use again(It uses very little mana, the Solegnolia uses more mana than the rest of the contraption).
To keep in the "Nether" theme I put down a Therma Lily and a Serenade of the Nether., despite the fact that it produces way too much mana. I remedied that by putting a BC gate some redstone magic under it, turning the lava spawning off for a very long time when there is plenty of mana(my Botania version is before the Therma Lily change btw).

Result is that I now have a trickle income of Netherrack and Soulsand, much needed materials for Infernal Stone, which I use a lot for roofing. And get a bit of Nether Quartz as well(could have been Fortuned, but meh).

And now to something completely different:
GO4QiHK.png

Was so fed up with the inefficiencies and buggyness of the botania/TC animal farm. It barely produced anything with just two parent animals and any outside spawned animal could potentially cause catastrophic server meltdown.
So decided to go with what I knew worked: MFR Chronotypers. Challenge was how to hide them and make everything look nice and medieval.
Luckily the Chronotyper have a pretty high area of work(you can see this by holding a Precision Sledgehammer). Problem was just that if I bury it, it will deposit the animals down in the ground.
Through some experimentation with among other things the Arcane levitator, I discovered that animals can materialise inside an Ethereal Platform from TT. Eureka! Stick the Chronotyper under the walls, slap an Ethereal Platform behind it and disguise it as Grass and Voila, there is nothing to be seen on the surface(well the terrain required a well placed Hay bale in the cow pen).

To breed them I chose the time tested RC Feed Station. Efficient, safe and easy to use.
A Ritual of the Shepard under the baby pen makes sure those MANY pig babies don't gather up and glitch out(The Feed station spawns litters of up to 4 at the time).

To make sure they are slaughtered humanely, the adults are Chronotyped into the hut and given one swift hack with a good Looting 3 sword by a KillerJoe:
mQGNTQk.png

Lots of Porkchops and Steaks all around(mostly for the Orechid setup :p).

Oh and to stop animals from glitching out on the Mossy Cobblestone Walls I was using before, I started using Moss Stone blocks with a Grass Cover on top(reinforced at the animal farms with thicker walls to prevent the wall glitching babies from spawning outside). The Grass Cover makes it higher than a block so mobs cannot climb it.
I liked it so much that I decided to replace all the walls of the entire farming area:
YKv5Gyy.png

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Also love the map, how'd you do it?
Oh, my mistake. That would be JourneyMap, I believe.
Yes it is JourneyMap. If you open the map, under Actions there's the option to Save Map. Saves the entire explored map, so you will have to do a bit of cropping ;)

And yeah I love it too. After a some hours/days of work I can just stare at it and see how the progress is visible from the "sky" :p

Reactions: ICountFrom0
S

SSW82

Amazing work! Probably a silly question, but how have you managed to get multiple colors of cows? I use Soartex and haven't seen that before.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Amazing work! Probably a silly question, but how have you managed to get multiple colors of cows? I use Soartex and haven't seen that before.
It is a feature of soartex(and probably many packs) that need something like Optifine to show.

Barhandar

Jul 29, 2019
I like your solution to Orechid automation because I've never seen it before. And clock tower too, but I have a question about it. Why not use a Project:Red Sequencer instead of all these Bibliocraft clocks? All sequencers starting with RP2's one run on world time, that is, sequencers with same time set will always have same output. Setting sequencer to 300 seconds will make it into a 24-hour clock (handy on a wall!), 150 - 12-hour clock (and then you can use a second sequencer with outputs linked into two to send signal for correct half of the day).

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Why not use a Project:Red Sequencer instead of all these Bibliocraft clocks? All sequencers starting with RP2's one run on world time, that is, sequencers with same time set will always have same output. Setting sequencer to 300 seconds will make it into a 24-hour clock (handy on a wall!), 150 - 12-hour clock (and then you can use a second sequencer with outputs linked into two to send signal for correct half of the day).
I was considering doing something like that when someone mentioned the bibliocraft clocks. After investigating the Bibliocraft clocks, I decided that it would be a simpler solution to set up, specially since I was not sure how many clock "movements" I was going to have. I could simply modify the Biblio clocks to output the redstone signals at the intervals I desired.
I was also unsure that sequencers and whatever else I could think up would be robust to sleeping. The Biblio clocks have no problem with that.

Barhandar

Jul 29, 2019
I was considering doing something like that when someone mentioned the bibliocraft clocks. After investigating the Bibliocraft clocks, I decided that it would be a simpler solution to set up, specially since I was not sure how many clock "movements" I was going to have. I could simply modify the Biblio clocks to output the redstone signals at the intervals I desired.
I was also unsure that sequencers and whatever else I could think up would be robust to sleeping. The Biblio clocks have no problem with that.
I find sequencers more interesting specifically because they're less simple to set up. And given the "runs on world time" thing, they're as robust as clocks and would simply update as soon as loaded after sleeping.

Back in RP2 days I've made a 15-minute-interval digital clock on sequencers. It ran fine.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I find sequencers more interesting specifically because they're less simple to set up. And given the "runs on world time" thing, they're as robust as clocks and would simply update as soon as loaded after sleeping.

Back in RP2 days I've made a 15-minute-interval digital clock on sequencers. It ran fine.
Cool, well now I know for next time ;)

And yeah, I like going the complicated route too sometimes. But sometime I compromise and do something more simple for the same of the longtime stability of the world or just for the effect.