[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
Why is the Fusion MkIII reactor not as handsome as the previous levels of fusion reactors? Not sure what the fusion casings look like on you screens, but on mine the top tier casings are sort of a puke brown. :)

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
FYI solid meteoric iron blocks do not show up on an OV scanner. Do not fly around the asteroids for hours trying to find it this way, like I did. The best method I found was to fly around and take core samples with the mining laser, from the bottom of an asteroid so that you don't have to deal with the mobs. Just flying up close and using the OV scanner is enough for normal ores.

Think the only reason I might go back to the asteroids is for uranium, I found 3-4 veins while out there. Seems like I might have to at the rate I'm using quad cells. Getting the U-235 from bees.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Why didn't I do this months ago?

rHiLHq0.jpg

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
Why didn't I do this months ago?
<Dual EBF pic>

Did you know that combining a 4 unit EBF multiblock uses the same resources as 3 individual EBFs?

I've got a total of 7 EBFs that run almost non stop. All 7 are with nichrome coils. 4 of them are together in one unit with HV energy hatches and are generally processing tungsten or tungstensteel. I have another pair set up together that also run off HV that are usually processing titanium or aluminum. And then I've got a stand-alone EBF that's overclocked to IV that I use for less common stuff that I'm usually in a hurry for like naquadria, chrome, neodyium, and lutetetium.

Now that I've got Tier 3 fusion reactor built I'm thinking about setting up a system for sulfur plasma from aluminum and lithium. Thaumcraft alchemy clay duplication should make this possible, but I'm going to need a bunch more EBFs to process the aluminum to make it sustainable.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
i think I provided a screenshot of the multiblock turbines doing this as well, but you need to face them in opposite directions so their rotor image doesn't conflict.

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
Hurm, so my Mk3 fusion reactor is built and I want to run some Neutronium. I charged it all up with 16 UV energy hatches until the fusion reactor itself was full. I also made sure that all 4 of the Ultimate Transformers that I have feeding the 16 UV hatches were completely full. And the 2 16slot LuV battery buffers feeding the Ultimate Transformers were also completely fully charged.

I started the fusion controller, and it of course immediately drained 600m EU at startup. The reactor only ran for 2 cycles before it quit. I was monitoring everything with a GT scanner. The energy hatches never drained to 0 and the Ultimate Transformers never drained below 3 billion EU. Do I need to put a Ultimate Transformer up against each individual UV energy hatch in order to get enough EU/t to let this run through?

I guess I'm not sure how much EU/t an Ultimate Transformer or LuV battery buffer can provide..

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Where do I go after a 6 chamber mark 1 ic2-exp reactor? Do I just automate and make more of them? Do I fool around with MOX designs? Do I build one of the relatively new 5x5x5 reactors?

Generating 2048 eu/t with creosote/charcoal, just wondering whats a good way to oh, say, generate 8k eu/t or so with nuclear and retire most of my coke ovens/boilers/steam turbines. Doing that just scaling out with the 420eu/t reactor would be roughly 20 reactors, 140 quad cells per cycle which seems like it would involve me spending most of my days mining uranium out in the asteroid belt. :p

TraceOn37

Jul 29, 2019
I know this was mentioned before, but is there any intent to change the energy required to turn biomass -> biogas? 1000mB of biomass, which is trivial to obtain, converts to 32,000mB of biogas that produces 32000 EU/1000mB. That's nuts compared to the energy returned for centrifuging plants into methane.

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
So I tried to make Neutronium again today. This time i used 8 UV transformers connected to the 16 UV hatches. I waited until everything was completely full, including all 8 UV transformers. I started the Mk3 fusion reactor, it drained down to 0 rather quickly, made 2 cycles of Neutronium and stopped again.

The GT portable scanner never showed any of the 16 UV hatches going below 100% EU, and none of the UV transformers drained completely either. @Aiwendil or @Blood Asp How do you manage to provide enough EU/t to this thing? Or am I supposed to make Neutronium 2 cycles at a time?

Impiryo

Jul 29, 2019
Where do I go after a 6 chamber mark 1 ic2-exp reactor? Do I just automate and make more of them? Do I fool around with MOX designs? Do I build one of the relatively new 5x5x5 reactors?

Generating 2048 eu/t with creosote/charcoal, just wondering whats a good way to oh, say, generate 8k eu/t or so with nuclear and retire most of my coke ovens/boilers/steam turbines. Doing that just scaling out with the 420eu/t reactor would be roughly 20 reactors, 140 quad cells per cycle which seems like it would involve me spending most of my days mining uranium out in the asteroid belt. :p
I'm at a similar point - getting tired of adding more steam, wanting to phase it out. I have heat-stable steamless 260 eu/tick reactors (which output 130 eu/tick due to just being in EU mode, converting them to MOX gives me 984/2=492 eu/tick each at 69% heat. I'll need a bunch to support my 16 processing arrays plus all the EBFs, not to mention matter fabs (if I ever find osmium), but it looks like fusion is my next step (LOTS of chrome - not even close). Not sure if there's a good in-between step other than the actively cooled reactors, or big reactors -> pneumaticcraft.

There's also the RTG, but I'm limiting their use in favor of MOX, which is MUCH more space efficient and slowly generates plutonium, as long as I have uranium.

Last edited:

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
MOX is good at that stage, I think. I'd also consider looking at Nitro Diesel or IC2 Biomass->Biogas. Lave in a LHE is also an option.

Pretty sure 5x5x5 liquid reactors are the proper thing to be doing at that stage, but honestly I'm personally scared of them because they require external control to run properly. I think maybe if you have a good redstone or nuclear control setup that will shut it down if your LHE or steam turbines screw up it's probably fine. But I'd make sure to build it a ways away from the important parts of your base.

Impiryo

Jul 29, 2019
Didn't think of nitro-diesel. With a big turbine running at 130%, that's a lot of energy. I think I have about 20k buckets of it - was only using it for portable fuel.

Impiryo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm having an issue with the 2x2 combined electric blast furnace, specifically at low voltage. The machines seem to 'fight' for energy from the shared energy hatches. Example: each blast furnace has 3 LV energy hatches - 2 that are its own, and 1 that is shared with a neighbor. It seems that one neighbor pulls energy from that shared energy hatch, and does fine. The other one is stuck with power coming into the other two hatches, which isn't quite enough. I'm positive that the energy availability is enough: the middle (shared) hatch has its own LV transformer, and there is 1 transformer and 1 wire for each of the two other hatches. Each set of 3 LV transformers is supplied by its own MV transformer, so they're getting full power. Adding extra transformers so that each hatch gets its own transformer solves the problem, but only if no maintenance is needed (because the EBF can function on 2 hatches). Once any part breaks, however, that's it.

Is there a way around this? Adding a 4th hatch raises the energy requirement of the process

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
I'm having an issue with the 2x2 combined electric blast furnace, specifically at low voltage. The machines seem to 'fight' for energy from the shared energy hatches. Example: each blast furnace has 3 LV energy hatches - 2 that are its own, and 1 that is shared with a neighbor. It seems that one neighbor pulls energy from that shared energy hatch, and does fine. The other one is stuck with power coming into the other two hatches, which isn't quite enough. I'm positive that the energy availability is enough: the middle (shared) hatch has its own LV transformer, and there is 1 transformer and 1 wire for each of the two other hatches. Each set of 3 LV transformers is supplied by its own MV transformer, so they're getting full power. Adding extra transformers so that each hatch gets its own transformer solves the problem, but only if no maintenance is needed (because the EBF can function on 2 hatches). Once any part breaks, however, that's it.

Is there a way around this? Adding a 4th hatch raises the energy requirement of the process
Don't share energy hatches. A 2x2 EBF has each 4 blocks in the lowest level that are not shared. These must be used by Controller, Maintainance and Energy hatch. You should only share input and output hatches/busses. So when shareing walls of EBFs, you must use single energy hatches per EBF, not multiple LV hatches.

Reactions: Dlur100