Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I'm finding myself wishing I was using mindcrack instead of Direwolf20, but no one on my server wants to deal with things like gregtech hardmode. So I have some questions:

1. What happens if I copy the map over and we have mystcraft books in play? They just vanish, or become random other blocks I culd just admin over and break, right?
  2. What do people in mindcrack packs do for long-distance travel? Mystcraft is such a nice way to connect settlements.
  3. If I go through the config and turn some of the GT hardmode options off, do clients of my server need to do the same thing? Because for some people this is an absolute non-start. They "don't want to think about minecraft."

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I'm finding myself wishing I was using mindcrack instead of Direwolf20, but no one on my server wants to deal with things like gregtech hardmode. So I have some questions:

1. What happens if I copy the map over and we have mystcraft books in play? They just vanish, or become random other blocks I culd just admin over and break, right?
  2. What do people in mindcrack packs do for long-distance travel? Mystcraft is such a nice way to connect settlements.
  3. If I go through the config and turn some of the GT hardmode options off, do clients of my server need to do the same thing? Because for some people this is an absolute non-start. They "don't want to think about minecraft."

1. Should become air
2. trains / portals
3. Yes, you can also give them the config

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
What you could do (like some other servers) is add Mystcraft to your server: MindCrack+Mystcraft. Then there'd be little problem for the first two of your problems.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I've been lucky in my last fight with the dragon:
2013-02-10_224113_zpsa4801e1e.png
My questions:

1. What's the range of the magic absorber?
2. Can it absorb from more than one crystal?
3. Does the output increase if it does?
4. There's 9 of these babies, the theoretical output is 1152 eu/t. Is this worth the hassle of getting 2 nether stars each absober and 2 interdimensional energystorage units?

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
If you're one of those people who don't hate solar, I'll just say go with that. Two solars can almost match that eu/t, and three will blow that away. Though it's not as fun, it will be less laggy, and won't cost any interdimentional energy storage units. But that's just daytime. I guess if you had four, the 64 eu/t at night would push solars as a little bit better energy source.
For the wither stars, it's not all that hard if you make an auto farmer. The problem is making the autofarmer, but they're talking all about it on the forums as I type!

But I can't answer any of those other questions.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I only wish it was cheaper/had a better turnover. Ultimate hybrids cost a ton, but this ain't a walk in a park either. Especially considering that preserving those crystals is a pita.

Automating wither killing is simple. Done it in creative within a few minutes :). Now I'm thinking about fully automating it at a ... more rapid pace.

I only wish I could give turtles vorpal swords :D.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Enchanted turtles would be so great...they'd take up pages like Redpower microblocks!

Nuclear is always a good route to try, and you can get 500 eu/t from steam turbines from one 36 HP boiler. Now....to figure out how to keep two stocked with solid fuel from one treefarm and 2 tier 5 wither skeleton farms...

Chre903

Jul 29, 2019
I know that in ExtraBees is at least one Bee with the "Faster" Trait. But until now, i haven't find it yet :( With one is it?

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I know that in ExtraBees is at least one Bee with the "Faster" Trait. But until now, i haven't find it yet :( With one is it?

One of the off shoots from the industrious branch.
I think there might also be a rare chance for 'fast' diligent and unweary parings to make a 'faster' industrious bee​
(Certain similar mutations have occurred in my world- my slower, short lived fiendish/sinister became a slow longer lived demonic. The lifespan of my imperial and fertility of my majestic branches also got a boost)​

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
and you can get 500 eu/t from steam turbines from one 36 HP boiler.

Erm, how does that work? Each steam turbine consumes 320 steam, and produces 100 EU/t. With the 720 steam/t from one 36 HP boiler, you can therefore produce 100 + 100 + 25 EU/t using three turbines. That's not 500 by my math?

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Well, looks like SOMEBODY is wrong.

And that's me.

Heh.

Sorry about that, I heard it somewhere else, never bothered to verify it, my apologies.

Aww, that's not nearly as much EU/t as I wish it were...
*back to the drawing board*

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019

Kirin have you thought about just adding gregtech to your DW20 pack? I'm honestly not sure what would be easier... porting over your whole world and modifying Mindcrack, or just adding in the mods you want to DW20.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Kirin have you thought about just adding gregtech to your DW20 pack? I'm honestly not sure what would be easier... porting over your whole world and modifying Mindcrack, or just adding in the mods you want to DW20.

What's the point of using FTB's launcher then? I think this community is great, but without some sort of configuration sharing option non-standard loadouts are very expensive for server admins to maintain. It's obvious they "have a solution" and that's what the Forgecraft people are using. I wish they'd share.

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
I havent done any research or tried to use the feature yet but isn't that what the private modpacks tab is all about?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I havent done any research or tried to use the feature yet but isn't that what the private modpacks tab is all about?

Yes and no.

The issue is to get a private pack you still need to personally get permission from all the mod authors and then contact the FTB with those permissions before any private pack can be created.

It is not so much for the basic end users but more for admins of servers. They do all the leg work then just pass the code to there users.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Yes and no.

The issue is to get a private pack you still need to personally get permission from all the mod authors and then contact the FTB with those permissions before any private pack can be created.

It is not so much for the basic end users but more for admins of servers. They do all the leg work then just pass the code to there users.

Except that there is no formally stated private modpack process or update process. It's like, "Hey guys when you get to it..." And I am still not clear at all on if they can do custom configs. It's already troublesome to maintain a modpack. Asking then to gate that trouble to someone else's disinterested schedule?

The private modpack feature as it stands seems like something that the FTB devs & friends use.

And of course there are these weird hangups the FTB team has. Like if you want a decent organizations/logistics mod you cannot have them. There are none that are decent at all that the FTB team will accept in private modpacks. Even though there is no legal, rational, or ethical basis for the notion of mod packs being derivative works.

Waele

Jul 29, 2019
Hello MC-Friends
I searched a lot and readet a lot here but doesen't find a real answer.
My question is:
Is there a ID-Range i can/should use for mods i want to add inside my FTB-installation which are save from future updates from FTB ?

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Hello MC-Friends
I searched a lot and readet a lot here but doesen't find a real answer.
My question is:
Is there a ID-Range i can/should use for mods i want to add inside my FTB-instalation which are save from future updates from FTB ?

Not that I know of, but, at the moment, the 3000's are pretty clean. As in, spotless. As far as I know (this was in an earlier version of Mindcrack, and probably still holds now,) there wasn't a single block/item between 3000 and 3999. Or maybe it was the 2000's. I think it was the 3000's, though.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
What's the point of using FTB's launcher then? I think this community is great, but without some sort of configuration sharing option non-standard loadouts are very expensive for server admins to maintain. It's obvious they "have a solution" and that's what the Forgecraft people are using. I wish they'd share.
Many FTB people play on Forgecraft, but they aren't using the FTB Launcher for that server. I think they host the instance on Dropbox, where it can be updated by the various mod devs. The people playing (or testing) on the server just download the instance and import it into MultiMC.

I think it's been said that the FTB launcher will eventually add in multiple config options for certain modpacks, such as the ability to switch between GregTech Hard/Easy Modes. Not exactly what you're looking for, but it offers a little more customization than what's currently available.

FTB is designed for those people who don't want to bother manually downloading mods, resolving ID conflicts, etc. But you trade off customization options for that simplicity. Plenty of people are okay with that. Those who want servers with non-standard loadouts will have to deal with getting their users to make the necessary changes to their clients.