Your thoughts on the Technic Platform?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zxays

Jul 29, 2019
Its now getting more illegal than it already is, now that users can make their own modpacks, without permissions.

Let me tell you a little secret: With that "much" unterstanding of law... you'll probably never become a lawyer...

Please avoid statements wich u can't prove.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
That is called common sense plus what drive you have. Example, I learned to play the piano when I was youngre. Eight years of hard work to learn to read music, get timing down, and other things. I never once stated anywhere I am opposed to modpacks, mods, or anything. I stated before that mod developers should take their skills and make money on those skills. Modpack makers too should take the skills they learned and get a job that pays money and get wealthy via those skills.

My point is when you do it for yourself, by yourself, it is a much greater happiness then just waiting for others. Now if you don't have the drive or the desire, for myself cars elude me I don't see a reason to change them and rather have a professional look at mine when it isn't working, then by all means it is fine to seek alternative methods.

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
That is called common sense plus what drive you have. Example, I learned to play the piano when I was youngre. Eight years of hard work to learn to read music, get timing down, and other things. I never once stated anywhere I am opposed to modpacks, mods, or anything. I stated before that mod developers should take their skills and make money on those skills. Modpack makers too should take the skills they learned and get a job that pays money and get wealthy via those skills.

My point is when you do it for yourself, by yourself, it is a much greater happiness then just waiting for others. Now if you don't have the drive or the desire, for myself cars elude me I don't see a reason to change them and rather have a professional look at mine when it isn't working, then by all means it is fine to seek alternative methods.

I see, I appologize for miss-representing your position then, i will go back and edit my post to make that clear in a moment. If I may though, hobbies have always existed and will always exist. People sometimes do things that could gain them wealth as a hobby, and never wish to make it a job. In this generation the most popular thing is codding. Back a generation that thing was automotive work, back one more and it was carpentry, back one more yet and we have, fk, I do not even know, but I am sure it existed. Hell, some people have some hardcore expensive and highly marketable skills as hobbies. Look at all the people who fly planes purely as a hobby.

Some of these people are not good enough to make a job out of it, some of them simply do not want to. Just because we enjoy doing something as a hobby does not mean we should make a job out of it, as that takes much of the 'fun' out of it to many people. This is not some new phenomenon, if anything your attitude that every marketable skill should be marketed is the recent invention.

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
I do believe that if you want something you have to work for it yourself. Maybe because I am old and was raised differently but if you want to eat you have to work for it. No one else can do it for you.

Yeah but just because you and I wanted to learn how to make a modpack, that doesn't mean other people want that too.
There are people who only have 10 hours in a week to spend on MC, and they want to spend that time playing, not fiddling with mods and configs. You are basically saying: Nay, they don't have the right to play, they didn't earn it themselves.

And the comparison with having to work to eat is rather far fetched, you can't copy/paste a steak, but you can easily copy a set of mods and configs, and nobody looses anything, especially not if it's a completely free mod.

Reactions: GreenWolf13

lukeb28

Jul 29, 2019
Edit: HOLY CRAP NINGAS!
From his avatar, I would guess he is not truthful of his age.

On a side note: I'm sorry. I just got back and another 4 5 pages popped up. I read most them but skipped over a lot of material. Anyone mind summarizing what happened? From what I can gather, it seems like we have moved on to how respect for modders fit in.

My two cents?

The end user should get to chose how they enjoy the mod made. If the modders think that its wrong then they can stop coding. If they put their mod out in public, they are letting ordinary people like you and me have it and do what we want with it.

If you were ever a kid then you should get this.
Mommy buys you a skipping rope for your birthday (anyone else ever have a disappointment like that?) and you use it to tow your toy truck around. Your best friend gets a skipping rope too and does the same thing. The thing is though is that he got a different brand of one.

What would you think if the maker of your skipping rope came to your house and started yelling at you that you had to play with it this way and legally could not play with it the way you are? Meanwhile your buddy gets vised by the maker of his and gets a pat on the back for being creative. How would you feel at this point?

I would feel like the maker of mine is a tard and go buy the one my friend has.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Through seeing this thread and all the other copy-rage threads, I can say that I am quite surprised that there are NO lawyers who play FTB or Tekkit.

Reactions: MagusUnion

lukeb28

Jul 29, 2019
Through seeing this thread and all the other copy-rage threads, I can say that I am quite surprised that there are NO lawyers who play FTB or Tekkit.
Maybe there just out fighting real cases.

Oh and
Let me tell you a little secret: With that "much" unterstanding of law... you'll probably never become a lawyer...

Please avoid statements wich u can't prove.
That is very old and I believe was dealt with already. No need to beat the dead horse anymore (If its not a pulp already).

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I justified why my respect for the product mandates that I do not, you have provided me no justification for this statement. Please provide some.

Do I really have to rationalize basic respect for people giving you something? Here's one outcome: they become disillusioned and frustrated and, having learned nothing from the experience, cease producing the valuable thing you liked enough to use in ways they asked you not to. Bad outcomes for all.

The actually valuable thing here is the mind and effort of the person who created the mod. You cannot steal that, but you can spoil its output.

Did you even read my whole post? Please go back, I made it abundantly clear that it is our responsibility to be very very careful about giving credit.
You are not the one who decides what theft is. That's for the author within their legally established rights. If the author makes an illegal requirement feel free to ignore those. If they say that credit is not enough, you're wronging them by saying it is.

The fact that you have called me a leech, and gone on a rant about how I am stealing their work in spite of this fact just goes to show how out of touch you are.

Actually I worded my post carefully. I said your statements sound like those things. I do not think you are an irreparable person, only that I don't think you're really considering things in a fair and clear way. I agree attribution should be enough. However, we cannot simply take the ball from someone who doesn't want to play by our rules. Instead, we need to convince them that the rules we are proposing are better for everyone.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
My anology is based on my personal experience. I am not talking tech stuff. Lemme be clear on that. Face it in the end we are a bunch of nerds playing a hokey game. That is how the world sees it. The world. You don't have to like me. Heck I hate myself. Hate My Self. Daily.

I am just saying a different opinion untill opinions are deemed illegal. I totaly listen to every side and try my best to not judge. If I do judge I am sorry. Everything and everyone deserve a chance to speak.

This whole mod thing can be rectified if the parties involved would be sat down and let them hash it out. In Person. Now I know that is impossible so for now then end product is deal with it.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019

You mean that there are no lawyers who play FTB or Tekkit, and who also post in these forums, and who are willing to give up their time (which usually goes between 100$ to 300$ an hour) for free to a bunch of people from the internet?

Personally, I am not surprised.

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
Do I really have to rationalize basic respect for people giving you something? Here's one outcome: they become disillusioned and frustrated and, having learned nothing from the experience, cease producing the valuable thing you liked enough to use in ways they asked you not to. Bad outcomes for all.

The actually valuable thing here is the mind and effort of the person who created the mod. You cannot steal that, but you can spoil its output.

So, let me give you a hypothetical. Are you old enough to have watched and enjoyed the movie Braveheart? If not, lets pretend you did. Lets pretend you absolutely loved the movie. Mel Gibson both directed and starred in the movie. Now, I do quite like the movie, it is very entertaining. I respect the work for what it is, and respect the effort that was put into making it. Mel Gibson, it has come to light, is extremely anti-Semitic. I have zero respect for the person. How do you cope with this situation? Do you force yourself to hate the movie because it was produced by someone you dislike? Do you respect the person because you like the movie? If you do, then do you take on other things which they advocate for? If not, then are you actually respecting them as a person? Respect for a person is *entirely* separate from respect for a work.

Respect for a person gets me to do what you want me to do, respect for your work does not. The idea of a chef serving me a steak and insisting I can never place ketchup on it is absurd. I could make a thousand of these analogies. The fact of the matter is that simply because they have given me the steak for free does not mean that I should not be allowed to put ketchup on it. If they are so petty as to quit modding simply because I am enjoying their steak with ketchup, then I will be saddened by that decision, but I will not regret adding the ketchup.

EDIT: "Actually I worded my post carefully. I said your statements sound like those things. "

This is a technicality, and only a technicality. If you truly did carefully word things to be that way then you should have reconsidered saying it at all.

GreenWolf13

Jul 29, 2019
You mean that there are no lawyers who play FTB or Tekkit, and who also post in these forums, and who are willing to give up their time (which usually goes between 100$ to 300$ an hour) for free to a bunch of people from the internet?

Actually, the goon who write the copyright page for plus+ pack (Enzer) is a lawyer. Think about that all of you claiming that the plus+ pack copyright page is wrong. It was written by a lawyer, who does this kind of stuff or a living, and knows INFINITELY more about law than any of you.

Reactions: Guswut

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
I will be blunt. Please show proof this person is a lawyer. Call me cynical but I like to see proof or hear it, much better, from that person's mouth.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, the goon who write the copyright page for plus+ pack (Enzer) is a lawyer. Think about that all of you claiming that the plus+ pack copyright page is wrong. It was written by a lawyer, who does this kind of stuff or a living, and knows INFINITELY more about law than any of you.

Your usage of the word "infinitely" is hyperbolic, of course, but that is good to know! Although I don't think I'd feel right in calling a lawyer a "goon" unless they worked for the Mafia, or perhaps NASA. The former being obvious, the latter being purposefully confusing to confuse future bibliographical works.

GreenWolf13

Jul 29, 2019
I will be blunt. Please show proof this person is a lawyer. Call me cynical but I like to see proof or hear it, much better, from that person's mouth.
It's stated several times by several people that Enzer is a lawyer (he even says it himself a fee times) in the SA forums thread for Minecraft Modding. Unfortunately, thr thread (along with all the other threads in the games subforum) is behind a paywall, and has been for sometime (since about mid febuary). It should (hopefully) be available for public viewing by the end of the month.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Okies. I can wait. ^_^ No disrespect to you or causing too much doubt. Just either I would have said it or someone else would have.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019

I'd love to see anyone in this tomfoolery (either part of the Techinc crew or a Mod maker) to hire a lawyer and get a court case.
Oh wow that would be hilarious

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I'd love to see anyone in this tomfoolery (either part of the Techinc crew or a Mod maker) to hire a lawyer and get a court case.
Oh wow that would be hilarious

In regards to the ++pack, it appears that SomethingAwful has lawyers on tap. It's really going to take a mod creator to step in to try and press legal terms, which I'm sure will at least be tried as there are a lot of massive egos flaring, well, massively (like massive egos that are flaring massively, only slightly more-so half of the time).

Reactions: zarendahl

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Seeing on how little people can sue over things then I can see it happening and eating up someone's resources. Being said it may or may not be a quick case. I am wondering if one major thing is being skipped in all this. Country of origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.