Yogscast on FTB

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
again, not true.
again, yes true.

they have another pack now which I won't name here that performs the same role Technic was originally designed for - a modpack by Goons for Goons isolated from the wider community - but modders are already aware of it (and raging about, etc.) and the cycle has begun again in a new flavour with new players on the stage.
Who is raging about a private pack? I swear, some of these modders are as bad as the MPAA and RIAA.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Tekkit aren't even bothering to get the permissions for the main tekkit pack. Optifine has never given permissions to any modpack, ever. Yet it is in. CovertJaguar has never given tekkit permission to use Railcraft and yet, it's there.
Tekkit LITE has permissions to all the mods they use, but not the main Tekkit pack. (wish they'd make the names more distinct... )[DOUBLEPOST=1361823302][/DOUBLEPOST]
again, yes true.
proof, link, quote, whatever.
You're making either a false assumtion or just talking out of your arse. I'm not decided on which is more likely yet.

Reactions: arkangyl

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
Let's put it like this: recently Something Awful moved their entire Games subforum behind their paywall. This was roughly two weeks after CJ snapped and started inserting DRM into Railcraft.

I'm guessing the SA admins were getting sick of all the guest activity around specific threads and the Twitter drama related to it in the past month, probably for other games as well as the Goons are consistently infamous over in Eve Online too. Lest we forget, once long ago, Technic was supposed to be a private pack. The Yogscast, being Goons, found the pack and showcased it in a five-part YouTube series. That's how this all started. It's why FTB have their permissions based private pack system to avoid a repeat of the situation. The Technic Platform is a continuation of the "I just want to play the game with cool mods please" mentality that caused Technic to exist in the first place.

All of this mudslinging boils down to fundamental differences in ideology between multiple parties and them clashing badly.

Edit: As for Tekkit Classic, that version of the pack is about a year old. Messing with it would hugely inconvenience owners of large servers and that is and has always been the focus of Tekkit Classic - to support large-scale Minecraft servers with mods. The pack and ideology behind it put server owners first above everyone else. It will not get changed until T-C updates for 1.4.7/1.5 and expecting it to or even that it should is silly.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
that sounds interasting, can you give us the source?

permisions and stuff is hard to avoid here since the thread is about ppl that use tekkit but try not to go too far
EDIT: i am a slow typer velotican posted while i was typing
I don't have the link to the post because it was a quite a while ago, but I believe it was in a thread about Tekkit on the Buildcraft forum. Shortly after it came out that KakerMix had donated a sum of money to CovertJaguar, CJ responded by saying he didn't care anymore if Tekkit included his mod. This was reinforced again when Tekkit Lite came out and CJ said something along the lines of "the permission to use this mod does not extend to the new pack". I have to wonder if that would change if Kaker donated to him again.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
Goons are what the users of Something Awful's forums call themselves. It's a tongue-in-cheek name that refers to the general atmosphere of the site itself. Something Awful has existed since 1999 and charges $10 for membership, so all of SA's members are actually paying customers of the site. They have a habit of solidarity amongst themselves as well. KakerMix and Cheap Shot are Goons, as are Simon and Lewis of the Yogscast; Yogscast comes from YOGS, "Ye Olde Goone Squad", the Goon guild for World of Warcraft.

Like I said, that the Yogscast are breaking away from Tekkit at all is very surprising to me. Less surprising is that they'd seek out a way to continue to ignore the community drama like they've always tried to.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
Tekkit LITE has permissions to all the mods they use, but not the main Tekkit pack. (wish they'd make the names more distinct... )
Tekkit Lite IS the main Tekkit pack now. Tekkit Classic is an old version and will be phased out entirely once the new pack is ironed out a bit.
You're making either a false assumtion or just talking out of your arse. I'm not decided on which is more likely yet.
I think it is you who is talking out of his ass, just parroting what all the other little slugs have parroted ad nauseam without bothering to do any of your own research. Hey guuse i herd dat tekkit is illegul

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
can you quickly explain what a Goon is? Never heard the word before
In this instance, I THINK it means a member of the Something Awful forums.
EDIT: Ninja'd. It's so slow typing on mobile!

Technic meant to be a private pack, but it was also freely distributed on the SA forums. Also, some of the mods didn't even allow private pack. However, I don't think the Yogscast should have made those original videos on either, because it created a fully public pack that almost every Minecrater knows about now.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I think it is you who is talking out of his ass, just parroting what all the other little slugs have parroted ad nauseam without bothering to do any of your own research. Hey guuse i herd dat tekkit is illegul
Please quote where I have said that. No version of Tekkit has had Coverts permission to utilise Railcraft. THAT IS ALL. I said no more than that. So please stop attempting to put words in my mouth that I have never said.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
My own opinion here. After reading some of the technic forum that was linked as well as the reddit one and here it seems to me that more views would be a great benefit. I am a big Yogscast fan and I would not have known about a lot of mods if is was not for them. Fact is they moved away from things that made them popular in the first place. They originally did adventure maps and a lot of mod reviews. Only when Shadow of Israphel got to be huge did they become more of a series type BUT with the falling out of two of their main guys on SoI as well as bad servers they series got scrapped.

Then came tekkit and they got more popular then before but they still have lots of fans crying about SoI so there is a no win situation there. If they do jump into FTB then fine. All it will do is be the same humor and silliness as before. I can see this working out very well for them as people like Sips_, Sjin, and Lalna can design some awesome buildings as well as actally make working shops.

We just have to wait and see

kolikooo1

Jul 29, 2019
if you know something and the source why dont you post it and other ppl then wont waste time trying to find what are you refering to on the internet. Also dont call him an ass if you are right prove it knowing that you are right and posting wont make ppl belive (if you go back in time and say that earth is not flat you are going to get killed and if you prove it ppl will think about it and wont instantly say "bullshit" but you will still get killed)

Reactions: Lambert2191

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
As for actual Yogscast video content, FTB is a lot more flexible in what it offers than Tekkit in my experience, the main reason for that being the inclusion of Forestry, Mystcraft and Thaumcraft 3. I doubt the Yogs guys will bother with GregTech or I'd mention that too. I can see Simon getting really into dimension hopping and lagging out the server for one thing, or perhaps their recent escapades in Voltz have taught them all caution. :p

GreenWolf13

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, here's an idea! Let's all agree to just drop it! None of this affects any of us in anyway. Unless you're a modder or a modpack maker directly involved in the situation, you have no idea what you're talking about. Let's all go back to playing with our virtual legos, and leave the drama to the people it concerns.

kolikooo1

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, here's an idea! Let's all agree to just drop it! None of this affects any of us in anyway. Unless you're a modder or a modpack maker directly involved in the situation, you have no idea what you're talking about. Let's all go back to playing with our virtual legos, and leave the drama to the people it concerns.

it kinda does affect us since there would be new ppl that are joining the comunity, moders are the 1s that are least affected by it and FTB team is the 1 that is most affected by it since there are going to need more forum moderators (or the 1s that are curentry here are going to work harder)

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
if you know something and the source why dont you post it and other ppl then wont waste time trying to find what are you refering to on the internet. Also dont call him an ass if you are right prove it knowing that you are right and posting wont make ppl belive (if you go back in time and say that earth is not flat you are going to get killed and if you prove it ppl will think about it and wont instantly say "bullshit" but you will still get killed)
Like I said, it was a while ago (at least a couple months) and I don't have a direct link. Why would I spend my afternoon looking up information I've already researched in the past to prove to some idiots that a free mod pack no longer in production had fancy pants permissions to use a free mod? You can believe me, you can research it yourself, or you can assume that tekkit is a terrorist organization for all the good slug parroting does.

I doubt the Yogs guys will bother with GregTech or I'd mention that too.
Yeah I doubt that as well. Greg is funny, though. The Tekkit team didn't want to bother with GregTech either, yet he put in special code to block it from happening. Even though Tekkit didn't want it anyway.[DOUBLEPOST=1361826485][/DOUBLEPOST]
Erectile Dysfunction.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
A bunch of new people which will have no clue what they're doing? OH GOD SPAM THREADS ASKING HOW TO CRAFT STUFF ARE COMING. BRACE YOURSELVES.

Status
Not open for further replies.