Yogscast on FTB

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

FastTquick

Jul 29, 2019
I know I'm going to be told off by a moderator or someone else on these forums for suggesting this idea, but I just got a crazy idea while watching the Yogscast Tekkit series on Youtube.

What if the FTB guys invited the members of the Yogscast to try the FTB mod pack out and make a new series out of it? I think it would be a really good idea because the FTB pack will be getting lots more views and popularity beyond the Direwolf20 and Feed the Beast crowd. Also, it would simply be entertaining to watch them trying to figure out how all the mods in this pack work and what they could try to make out of all of it.

What do you guys think?

Reactions: WatcherInTheShadows

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
I believe from what I have heard around the place, the Yogscast may well be switching over to FTB. I can't decide whether this would be good for FTB or not. I know it would attract a lot more people to FTB, but I think they may be stuck in the Yogscast way of doing things and be like "What??? Where is my energy condenser? I must condense everything I need". Also, I think that the Yogscast will create a misconception of FTB, saying that is a 'better version of Tekkit'. FTB was never meant to be Tekkit, and while that may create a lot of love for FTB from the hardcore Yogscast fans, it will also create a lot of hate saying "FTB is just trying to take over from Tekkit; they probably paid the Yogscast to do this". FTB was and always will be a map, but that is not what the Yogscast will say. I guess I cannot stop them from playing FTB, so I should just stop typing now. Anyway, what are other people's thoughts?

Zica

Jul 29, 2019
1. To me, the yogscast are intolerable. They appeal to a certain type of person, and appear to be very childish.

2. Their fans' age group ranges from 8-14 years old, and whenever i read what they say, i can feel my brain cells diminishing.

This sounds like a bad idea, but I also dislike the yogscast a lot.

Jay Cee

Jul 29, 2019
1. To me, the yogscast are intolerable. They appeal to a certain type of person, and appear to be very childish.

2. Their fans' age group ranges from 8-14 years old, and whenever i read what they say, i can feel my brain cells diminishing.

This sounds like a bad idea, but I also dislike the yogscast a lot.

Hahahahahahah ahh you make me laugh, thank you for that :)

I can definitely confirm that their fan age group is not only ages 5-14 seeing as I am 24. But yes, yes they are childish, and immature, and bloody entertaining.

Each to their own bro, but be careful of generalisations..

FastTquick

Jul 29, 2019
I believe from what I have heard around the place, the Yogscast may well be switching over to FTB. I can't decide whether this would be good for FTB or not. I know it would attract a lot more people to FTB, but I think they may be stuck in the Yogscast way of doing things and be like "What??? Where is my energy condenser? I must condense everything I need". Also, I think that the Yogscast will create a misconception of FTB, saying that is a 'better version of Tekkit'. FTB was never meant to be Tekkit, and while that may create a lot of love for FTB from the hardcore Yogscast fans, it will also create a lot of hate saying "FTB is just trying to take over from Tekkit; they probably paid the Yogscast to do this". FTB was and always will be a map, but that is not what the Yogscast will say. I guess I cannot stop them from playing FTB, so I should just stop typing now. Anyway, what are other people's thoughts?

Yes, I did hear one time of Sjin hinting about switching to FTB in one of their Tekkit series videos (mostly a joke he made while complaining about the lack of Crafting Table 3 on the latest version of Tekkit). Even if there are problems regarding ill-informed Yogscast fanboys hating on FTB without even researching it because they're used to seeing Tekkit gameplay, I think it's all the better for it. Watching these videos, I can't help but feel frustrated that the Yogscast would still cling to using outdated versions of popular mods in their current series after seeing how infinitely better (and more legal) FTB mod pack is even if they should at least a stack of jaffa cakes or more before they end the series and move on. They could even make their own modpack for all I care.

If there's anything I would like to advise them on before doing so, I would advise that they really study up on the wikis and all that before committing. At least it will ensure themselves and their fans that FTB is nothing like Tekkit and that they can see that the ways they need to do things are not the same as what they did in Tekkit.

Reactions: Zmaster27

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
If they did that FastTquick, I would be happy. On the subject of proof of them switching, Slow has stated on his stream that he will get in touch with the Yogscast. Remember, ridgedog, a member/friend of the Yogscast and leader of the VoxelBox, has his mod pack in the FTB Launcher.

Sertas

Jul 29, 2019
I'd love for The Yogscast to start a FTB series. It will bring more exposure and they are quite entertaining even to this 42 year old ;)

What disturbs me more is this ideal that FTB and Tekkit are in competition or that you can't like one and not the other. Could they have done a better job, absolutely? But, can't that be said about a lot of things after the fact?

Having The Yogscast play FT is a win in my book and I'm happy to hear Slow is speaking to them. A Yogbox revival would be most excellent!

Entropy

Jul 29, 2019
One of the problems I have with the Yogscast is their fanbase. They had a habit of clogging up the Technic Forums with stupidness (though this can be excused, they're usually younger kids) and it generally just muddled up the community. If the Yogscast decided to switch over to FTB, that'd be cool, though I agree with Python, that the fans will just give FTB a lot of unnecessary trolls and hate. From a business side of things, I could see why they wouldn't switch modpacks, though. Tekkit videos get the most views and therefore the most money, and switching over might lose those views. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: MagnaFire39

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
(and more legal)
speaking of ill-informed fanboys hating on something without research...

What disturbs me more is this ideal that FTB and Tekkit are in competition or that you can't like one and not the other. Could they have done a better job, absolutely? But, can't that be said about a lot of things after the fact?

They're in competition because they really are quite alike. If a technic or ftb survival video went unnamed, almost all fans would have no idea which mod pack they were using. Fanboys for one or the other will go on for eons about how their favorite pack is better, but at the end of the day, save for a few changes here and there, they're the same thing. Not many people are going to want to play both at once when their mod lists are 90% the same.[DOUBLEPOST=1356679549][/DOUBLEPOST]
One of the problems I have with the Yogscast is their fanbase. They had a habit of clogging up the Technic Forums with stupidness (though this can be excused, they're usually younger kids) and it generally just muddled up the community. If the Yogscast decided to switch over to FTB, that'd be cool, though I agree with Python, that the fans will just give FTB a lot of unnecessary trolls and hate. From a business side of things, I could see why they wouldn't switch modpacks, though. Tekkit videos get the most views and therefore the most money, and switching over might lose those views. Just my 2 cents.
Actually, a lot of their fanbase is pissed that they even do tekkit, and want nothing but vanilla minecraft...

Reactions: WatcherInTheShadows

Froghandler

Jul 29, 2019
I think they may be stuck in the Yogscast way of doing things and be like "What??? Where is my energy condenser? I must condense everything I need".
Actually it seems that the way they play is much the opposite: for example for the Jaffa factory, they could have just condensed everything from the start and made Jaffas that way. The philosophy of "Build something fun, not something maximally efficient and boring" seems to be echoed throughout the series multiple times by Duncan.

For The Yogscast as entertainers, the question is: Does FtB provide something additional and new that can be used as a creative canvas? The answer is a resounding yes, because if they work with the Feed the Beast team, they have the opportunity to set up their creative canvas (mod selection and settings) however they wish, and have a pre-built and tested distribution model to deliver it to their fans as well. FtB already has a large install base: a custom Yogscast pack gives a golden opportunity for more interaction with their fans, and thus more views.

This is my opinion, but it feels as if the Tekkit series is getting a bit stale, and seems to be approaching some sort of conclusion. Rebooting with FtB after a finale would make everything fresh.

CrazyAL

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised if at some point soon they make their cakes, shut the series down and switch to FTB. The series on the main channel where 5 of them play tekkit is... bleh.. is as nicely as I can put it.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
The answer is a resounding yes, because if they work with the Feed the Beast team, they have the opportunity to set up their creative canvas (mod selection and settings) however they wish, and have a pre-built and tested distribution model to deliver it to their fans as well. FtB already has a large install base: a custom Yogscast pack gives a golden opportunity for more interaction with their fans, and thus more views.
They've already done that on the Technic launcher with the YogBox. And then they quit caring about it and discontinued it :p

On that note, though, we really need something in the FTB launcher that's similar to YogBox... RPG and adventure elements rather than focusing on machines.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
On that note, though, we really need something in the FTB launcher that's similar to YogBox... RPG and adventure elements rather than focusing on machines.
I don't want to go too off-topic, but if you can get all the permissions, you can put it in as a third party pack

Actually it seems that the way they play is much the opposite: for example for the Jaffa factory, they could have just condensed everything from the start and made Jaffas that way. The philosophy of "Build something fun, not something maximally efficient and boring" seems to be echoed throughout the series multiple times by Duncan.
Sorry, I did not put that very well. Sure, for the specific end goal of their series (a working jaffa factory) they want to think of creative way to do it, but to get to that stage, they will use a condenser to create food, building materials and anything else they need. I also don't approve of their impromptu storyline and end goal, you should just jump in and play, and create something that sounds cool, then move on. Not spend 80+ episodes building a jaffa cake assembly line.

Anyway, the only thing I'm worried about is for these forums to become a tangled mess like the Technic forums. I can choose not to watch the yogscast, but this is a good community, and I don't think many yogscast fans will help contribute to that.

Reactions: Confidential1207

Fyrex

Jul 29, 2019
Hasn't slowpoke already said that he has been talking to the yogscast about them doing a series in his stream of the 23rd?

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
To be fair, Yogscast is not about the mods, it's a comedy show; Tekkit is just their venue. Duncan's series is the only thing resembling a tutorial, and if Direwolf20 is a professor, Duncan is a kindergarten teacher, which is understandable, considering the audience. Personally, I'm of mixed minds. I enjoy the Yogscast, and I'd like them to bring their audience into the light, if you will. On the other hand, their switch to FTB would make for a drastic change in the community. Small, close knit informed community or everyone in the pool? WHAT DO?

Reactions: Confidential1207

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps the trick would be to have this as a secret forum, perhaps with secret handshakes and secret greetings (something along the lines of "I am not Dave!" -oops just revealed I listen to the Yogpod :p), and then have a Yogscast FTB Community.

That's a joke by the way... I can't really see the Yogscast having a bad effect on this community, given good moderation (which we have) then the influx could be easily managed. Though maybe it should be held off for a while, at least until all the base packs are released otherwise we would see an increase in posts along the lines of "When is the ultimate pack being released?" and "When is the Beta pack being updated?" etc, etc,

Just my opinion :)

Status
Not open for further replies.