Xeno's Reliquary

x3n0ph0b3

Jul 29, 2019
Xeno's Reliquary

This mod is currently for version 1.4.7

Alright, everyone likes magical swag. I know I do.

I decided to whip up a mod that throws a lot of spiffy items together, stuff I think goes well with some of my favorite mods.

Don't post any EE2/3 related discussion here, - I won't respond to non-Reliquary questions in this thread.

This isn't going to turn into an OP-super-mod if I maintain some semblance of balance. I'd like to keep it that way. There's some powerful stuff in it already, but it comes at a pretty high cost, and even then with hefty restrictions and balance mechanics.

I'm not going to go out of my way to put up recipes immediately, cos I'm not feeling up to it just yet. I might do it soon, but for now I highly recommend NEI in the interim, until I get my bearings.

FAQs -
Q. What does Reliquary do?
A. It adds magical swag. Oh, and a gun.

Q. I has bug!
A. Sweet, put the crash (if you got one) in spoiler tags here on the thread, or report the bug here.

Q. (Follow-up) Y u no respond?
A. I might not be paying attention to the thread. You can almost always find me in #ee on the espernet server, if you want to report something directly, and getting those extra details really helps.

Changelog (recent changes only)
1.0.4a - had to recompile, was using the wrong MCP. Sorry for derp.
also fixed buster explosions to actually explode, with some issues that forced me to remove custom effects
1.0.4 - Made the Altars work, colored the condensed potions particle effects correctly.

Currently Known Issues - (aka, next changelog)
None that I know of.

Permissions/Modpacks
Modpacks, specifically
Don't ask me for permission to include my mod in a modpack. The answer is yes. Go for it, I don't care. Since all the people who really suck just do it without permission anyways, I see no need to bother with the pretense that I might say no. I've never said no to anyone who asked, so there's really no reason to assume I might say no. I used to like being credited/asked for the work I'm doing, but nowadays I really don't care. If you want to put it in your pack, go for it. Permission for everyone! (Even the people I don't like). If you're going to use it, make it clear that you didn't create it and give me some credit. That's all I ask.

Misc. Permissions
I'd rather you left my link intact, if you intend to redistribute this mod. In the end, however, I intend to make this mod open-sourced so people can see what it is I'm doing and hopefully it'll help people get into modding or make a useful reference. Basically what I'm saying is I'm okay with redistribution of the content in this post, including the OP, but do at least give me credit for the work and it would be super nice of you to keep my download link intact. The money I make off of it is currently enough to MAYBE buy a cheeseburger every month, but hey, a cheeseburger is still awesome.

Download/Installation
I'm going to give old school directions. If you have MultiMC, chances are good you already know how to install this stuff. Here's how to do it "manually".

You have to install MINECRAFT FORGE before this mod is usable. This was built using Forge build 6.6+, so you will probably need at least that to use this mod.

1) Download Forge... (clicking recommended, universal is usually safe, some mods might need latest.)

2) Install Forge by dragging the contents of the forge zip you just downloaded directly into your minecraft.jar - YOU MUST DELETE THE FOLDER ENTITLED META-INF - You will need winrar or similar to do this.
This (minecraft.jar) is located in your /Users/yourname/AppData/roaming/.minecraft/bin/ directory.

3) To install, simply put this mod jar inside your .minecraft/mods/ directory.
That is all. Don't unzip anything. Throw the whole thing in there.
You know you want to.
Xeno's Reliquary v1.0.4a

Screenshot (More to come I suppose)
CJork.png

x3n0ph0b3

Jul 29, 2019
Explanation
Okay, so it's pretty basic for now. I'll start with the items before I explain the block, I'm sure plenty of people are going to throw fits otherwise.

I'll go mostly in order.

Hunter's Handgun
Like most decent handguns, this one fires bullets. Bullets are great.
It's crafted using the three gun parts seen in the screen shot, plus some extra bits.
Holding right click when the gun is empty, with a full clip in your inventory will reload the weapon.
Right clicking with a loaded clip will fire.
When a clip is loaded, the damage bar will show you, roughly, how many shots are left.
The bar on the grip of the gun also gives you a color-clue as to what clip it's loaded with.

Bullets
Bullets, of course, are shot from a gun, but you need to put them in a clip to use them.
Craft 8 with an empty clip to load it up.
You can see from the screenshot there are several kinds, all fired from the same gun.
You can't place a variety of bullets in a single clip.
Bullets deal solid damage, with a slight random element.

Empty - You fired this one already. These stack up in your inventory. Each one is basically just a gold nugget waiting to be smashed back together again.

[Grey] Neutral - The most basic bullet, it deals decent damage and it's relatively cheap to make (the gun's a bit expensive anyway). It has no special effects.

[Yellow] Exorcism - An enhancement of neutral bullets, these have extra potency against undead mobs: skeletons, zombies, pig zombies, ghasts and withers take at least double damage.

[Red] Blaze - If you have blaze rods in ample supply, it's cost effective to use these powerful bullets in place of alternatives. They're completely useless in the Nether though.

[Green] Concussive - These shots are very powerful but use extra gunpowder and a slimeball to work their magic. A small non-destructive explosion blasts the target area, dealing moderately high damage.

[Black] Buster - An upgrade to the concussive shot, this heavily ups the explosive ante by making each bullet a well-packaged cluster of TNT. Massive damage, but just as inefficient as TNT.

[Teal] Seeker - An interesting bullet that hunts its target if it can get relatively close to it. You don't really have to aim these, but use them sparingly. They do decent damage, but nothing epic.

WARNING:
Be advised that both Seeker and Ender bullets kill without discrimination. They will seek out any living entity within a 10 block cube centered around the projectile, with the intention of pwning it. Do not fire these near anything you do not wish to be very, very dead.

[Purple] Ender - These are the final bullet, aptly named, and they are an upgrade to the Seeker. In addition to hunting targets, they pierce targets and continue to seek new ones. They don't last long.

Clip
It's just a clip filled with 8 bullets of the same type. You can tell by the coloration on the clip what type it is. These have the same tooltips and effects as their associated bullets, so check "bullets" to see the effects. Again, holding right click with an empty gun will load a clip.

Cross of Mercy
The only thing the undead hate more than a shiny bullet is this heavy thing crashing down on their skulls. It deals a small concussive blast every time it comes in contact with an undead creature. It's as enchantable as a gold sword, but try to use it sparingly; For twice the cost of a gold sword, it has twice the durability, but that doesn't mean much. Just left click to swing, pretty straightforward.

It's officially made of gold, for Touchstone of Midas purposes.

Tome of Alkahest
It basically allows you to multiply resources using redstone. The cost is variable.
Certain higher-level materials take different reagents.
Iron takes lapis, gold, emerald and diamond take lapis blocks.

Check out NEI for the recipes. If you're looking for an in-depth alchemy system, check out EE3. (/shamelessplug)

Holy Hand Grenade (Yep, I said it)
Well, you throw it, and it explodes. It's very environmentally friendly (unless you consider sheep and chickens and cows part of the environment) and it's also "tuned" to whoever threw it, meaning the wielder of said explosive need not fear the collateral repercussions of his own device.

It destroys most mobs with relative ease, though it may occasionally take two to clear a room.
They're worth their weight in gold. Right click to throw.

Coin of Fortune
This coin teleports items and experience orbs to the player instantly, making it easier to collect whatever it is you're collecting. Right click to activate or deactivate it; it will glow when it's enabled.

Cloak of Distortion
The cloak makes you invisible as long as you're holding it, for the cost of an Ender Pearl every 2 minutes.
Careful with creepers, cos they're still gonna explode if you punch 'em, even if you're invisible.
The second effect of the cloak is that right clicking "shifts" you to the target location for an ender pearl.

Overall it's an extremely powerful tool, especially if you don't mind punching things to death.

Glowing Water
It's almost as good as holy water, it's infused with glowstone. It obliterates the undead, but it costs you a few glowstone dust per bottle so it's best if used sparingly. It's also used as an ingredient in a lot of the mod's items, including the creation of condensed potions. Right click to throw a bottle.

Since 1.0.3, this qualifies as a splash potion, which increased the cost a bit.

Gunparts
There's three gun parts: a grip, a barrel and the action (mechanism, hammer, whatever you'd like to call it). Each of them requires a good bit of resources to craft, but nothing too astronomical. Once the three are completed, you throw them together with a little more material and you have yourself a complete (indestructible) handgun. Now you just need to afford the bullets.

x3n0ph0b3

Jul 29, 2019
Explanation Part 2
Glowing Bread
Infusing a few pieces of bread with precious glowing water gives it miraculous nutritional properties. Each piece of glowing bread restores your hunger to full, and is also much quicker to eat than normal food. Try not to waste too much glowstone dust on bread.

Since 1.0.3, Glowing Water is a bit more expensive, so these are a little harder to make.

Sojourner's Staff
A powerful adventurer's tool, it absorbs up to 8 stacks worth of torches to store internally. Right clicking with the staff will place a torch on a wall, up to as much as 32 blocks away. Keep in mind however, that for every 6 blocks away from the target wall you are, the cost of placing a torch there increases by 1, to a maximum of 6!

Thus, placing a torch normally comes at no additional charge, but placing one across the room burns through torches rather quickly. No pun intended.

Touchstone of Midas
A simple enough item, it absorbs glowstone dust in your inventory to restore its charge. Each glowstone dust is worth 4 points of durability on the Touchstone (don't worry, it never breaks). Each glowstone then goes directly to repairing any item in your inventory that happens to be made of gold. Since it holds about 512 points of durability, this means you can extend the duration of gold-enchanted gear to well beyond their normal lasting power, but it's especially useful when you're only using one or two of said items at a time. Be wary of allowing your Touchstone to deplete, or you'll wind up with a very enchanted, very broken item.

Emperor's Chalice
It's an infinite water bucket, frankly. However, if you're not aiming directly at a block (as you would with a bucket of water) you will instead drink from the chalice and restore one point (half a drumstick) of hunger, in exchange for half a heart.

Salamander's Eye
The Salamander's Eye might at first unsettle you, but don't be alarmed. Holding it allows you to repel ghast fireballs without even hitting them, and blaze fireballs will vaporize before they can touch you. You must be physically holding the Eye in your hand for this effect to work. While holding it, fires near you will be automatically extinguished. It's the quintessential Nether tool.

Magicbane
The Magicbane is an artifact athame from Nethack I decided to do a small tribute to. It's not even close to the same item, but bear in mind I had balance to consider.

With a durability of 16, it's one of the most easily breakable weapons one can acquire. It has some interesting effects: Whenever striking a mob you have slightly more than a 50% chance of inflicting one of the following status ailments:

Confusion, Blindness, Slowness, Weakness

Any of the four effects individually are cumulative with each other.

In addition to this, each enchantment on the blade adds to its damage. For each enchantment, its level is added to the total damage the blade does. So a Fire Aspect II Magicbane would deal its default, plus 2 damage. This adds up very quickly. It's officially made of gold, for Touchstone of Midas purposes, and is thus enchantable as gold.

Witherless Rose
A bit of an endgame item, in some terms. By combining a rose with four nether stars and four glowing waters, you create a Witherless Rose. Appropriately named, while this is in your inventory, the effect of the Wither's uber-death-ball will be completely removed whenever it is applied. You'll still take damage, of course, from the fireball itself, but you have nothing to fear from the effects of Withering.

Condensed Potion
These potions use the base ingredients of the normal potion system, except without the brewing stand.

They're slightly more expensive than normal potions, but generally yield better results as well.

While not all of the splash potions can be created with this system, "harm" has been converted to "acid" and ignores a mob's undead/living classification, and you can consume them twice as fast as a normal potion as well.

There's also "Love Potion #9", which acts as an area-of-effect mob aphrodisiac.

Altar of Alkahestry
Lastly we have the only block this mod adds. The unlit block is created using a combination of obsidian, glowstone lamps and a single emerald. Once placed, you will find it particularly useless.

You should try feeding it 2 redstone dust.
After coming back to visit it in 3 to 5 full minecraft days (it only works during the day), it will have produced a single glowstone block.

It's slow, but a lot of the items in the mod require glowstone dust, and it's marginally useful for alkahestry once you finally make Alkahest.

Alkahest
It's difficult to obtain this item, but it allows you to obliterate materials in exchange for a portion of their redstone, lapis or lapis block cost. Generally with mundane items, experiment with full stacks combined with the Alkahest, or you'll lose a portion of the yield. More valuable items like diamonds will always yield at least something (and a full amount of it) but lesser items such as cobblestone require a half stack in order to give you anything back.

Expect these exchange rates to respect EE3 balance and value mappings when that portion of the mod is finished, or expect the Alkahestry of this mod to change entirely.

In case you were wondering, EE3's alchemy will always yield better returns than Reliquary's Alkahestry, so I recommend using it for your alchemy needs. (/shamelessplug)

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Shut up and take my money! Wait. What's that? It's required to be free by law? But now what am I going to use all this shiny money for? Certainly not this mod. It doesn't need any!

Seriously though this mod actually looks pretty awesome. I would get it for the handgun alone. Keep being awesome!

Reactions: DaNerd27

ScottWears

Jul 29, 2019
Hunter's Handgun
Like most decent handguns, this one fires bullets. Bullets are great.
It's crafted using the three gun parts seen in the screen shot, plus some extra bits.
Holding right click when the gun is empty, with a full clip in your inventory will reload the weapon.
Right clicking with a loaded clip will fire.
When a clip is loaded, the damage bar will show you, roughly, how many shots are left.
The bar on the grip of the gun also gives you a color-clue as to what clip it's loaded with

That sounds Badass

x3n0ph0b3 said:
The only thing the undead hate more than a shiny bullet is this heavy thing crashing down on their skulls.
just lol

thanks X3n0

Edit:
x3n0ph0b3 said:
Emperor's Chalice
It's an infinite water bucket, frankly. However, if you're not aiming directly at a block (as you would with a bucket of water) you will instead drink from the chalice and restore one point (half a drumstick) of hunger, in exchange for half a heart.

that also sounds cool (sacrificing 1 for another)

RampantPanda65

Jul 29, 2019
WARNING: Be advised that both Seeker and Ender bullets kill without discrimination. They will seek out any living entity within a 10 block cube centered around the projectile, with the intention of pwning it. Do not fire these near anything you do not wish to be very, very dead.

You see warnings everywhere in life, like when your driving for instance, but this has got to be best warning EVER! :p

Kungfubuddah

Jul 29, 2019
Would this be the fruition of the mod you were using in your LP? Speaking of which, you should get back to that. I miss your unfiltered commentary.

x3n0ph0b3

Jul 29, 2019
Crash Report for you http://pastebin.com/50pKrc9p happened while reloading pistol
I appreciate it, and I'm happy to announce I already fixed it :D

It's gonna take me a little more time to release, sadly, as I've got just two more issues that need to be worked out before 1.0.2 - but it will be solid.

Right now I'm focused on smoothing the item transitions using the coin of fortune and getting the gun damage bar to show up properly. I might do away with the damage bar entirely, just to make things simpler. People can't be THAT bad at counting back from 8.

As for the item transitions, they're a pain, I'm trying to be clever about it, and I'm failing.

TL;DR - expect the fixed version to release at some point this evening, there's really only two things left to do.

Reactions: Jadedcat