Will my computer run FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I'm doing a test tonight; I'll let you know results around 10:30pst. testing an e2200 (half a step higher than the OP's) with 4gb ram, and an nvidia gt 210 1gb ddr3. Running tppi and resonant rise main (i expect the processor to melt).

OP's gpu is "better" than this machine's, but gpu is not nearly as important as cpu clock. Keep in mind for minecraft, it's cpu, memory, and then last comes gpu or arguably hdd performance. If I see bad numbers, OP is unlikely to see improved numbers just because his video card is a bit better on paper.

systemv

Jul 29, 2019
Hey I was wondering if this computer would run ftb direwolf20 or any other 1.6 pack. If you need more info i could probably get it but this is roughly what i know. I have a Pentium dual core E2180 at 2ghz I have 4gb of Ram and im running windows 7 32 bit. For graphics i have a Geforce 8400 GS (dinosaur i know) and yes this isn't very good, but i want to know if it will run ftb until i can get a better computer.

(also I am new to the forums and still don't know where and how exactly to post things)

Thanks for any help!

Pretty much any computer can run FTB, but to run it well and give good performance is really the question.

The general rule of thumb I use is this:

When in doubt, best generation mobo, faster Processor (lock, # cores, and largest L2 cache), more (and fastest) RAM (wth fewest number of sticks) and prefer SSD over HDD, and tap into the network with the highest bandwidth you can get. And, as often the case with ANY electronic computing instrument, heat is the enemy. COOL it down. Frigid. Polar wind. The temperature of deep space, etc...

Benchmarks, for what they are worth are good place to look (for silicon comparison). And, you might just look at the hardware profiles of the mainstream game machines out there.. Alienware? Hypersonic? etc... I forget who's still active.

If you had to boil it down to one piece of data, the answer is about $2000.

I home-brew my machines literally on a sheet of acrylic plexi-glass given the aforementioned conditions.

Peewee

Jul 29, 2019
Could you build a machine to run ftb monster pretty good for about 800 dollars?

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Test results are in. I tested the machine above allocating 3gb to minecraft.

TPPI (173 mods) loads and runs decently at 60-70fps.
resonant rise mainline (223 mods) loads and plays, but only barely. 40fps average dipping to 20's on GC, 60-80% memory usage.

Draw your own conclusions, OP.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Could you build a machine to run ftb monster pretty good for about 800 dollars?

^^ You have the budget allocated. Good!

Now go here to this website, and choose the components per their price and game recommendations, copy them to a spreadsheet with prices, stop when you reach $800... rinse and repeat until you reach your optimal sweet spot.

Have fun!

Peewee

Jul 29, 2019
Ive been working on a build for while now and ill post it here if y'all would like to check it!

Peewee

Jul 29, 2019
Test results are in. I tested the machine above allocating 3gb to minecraft.

TPPI (173 mods) loads and runs decently at 60-70fps.
resonant rise mainline (223 mods) loads and plays, but only barely. 40fps average dipping to 20's on GC, 60-80% memory usage.

Draw your own conclusions, OP.
Sorry but which machine did you test?

Peewee

Jul 29, 2019
Oh wow! Cool! So from your test do you think MY computer with 64 bit install and 4 gb of ram would run Monster? And if not would it run direwolf?

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
Intel Core 2-duo, 4 GB RAM is enough. I'm not sure what GPU, I have Nvidia GTS 450, but you can use a much worse one and it will still work.
I have 4 GB RAM, an Intel Core i5 and an Nvidia GTS 450 and I run a custom modpack (very much like monster) with 195 mods at 150-350 fps.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Have you seen my computer that i have now? The intel e2180 and 1gb of ram?
yes, it's a 64 bit processor. it's clockspeed is 200mhz slower than the processor i tested TPPI/Resonant Rise with. With a total of 4gb ram and a 64 bit OS install your pc should see similar performance.

It really depends on your timeline. If you don't envision yourself building a new pc sooner than 6-8 months from now, I'd say get the 4gb ram and have fun on modded MC in the meantime.

Peewee

Jul 29, 2019
So If it looks like im not going to be able to get a new pc soon, your saying that a 64 bit os install and 4gb of ram would allow me to run ftb monster!?

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
well, that's on you.

I pulled out my old hardware and did the hard work for you, but ultimately its your choice.

Peewee

Jul 29, 2019
But it did play packs that are about the same size as monster right? And just as cool![DOUBLEPOST=1401754249][/DOUBLEPOST]And btw midi_sec thanks for testing that! All help is much appreciated!

Peewee

Jul 29, 2019
Well i ordered 1gb of ram, so ill see if that helps a little. And mabye soon if i get the money, i might get 64 bit OS and 4 gb of ram!

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I tested in 64 bit mode with 4gb ram, anything other than that will likely see unsatisfactory results in the packs you're wanting to play.