Will my computer run FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Peewee

Jul 29, 2019
Ok because i get good fps, like 50, but when it reaches like 97% ram usage it spikes! So would it hurt to add a little ram to the computer? Obviously im not going to be able to allocate more but, is it worth it?

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
ehh.. it will not really speed up minecraft, but increases the amount of stuff you can have open besides minecraft. (unless you get 64-bit)

Peewee

Jul 29, 2019
Now I just found something out. Where it says "used memory (#) of (#)" the second number, what should that be if the default 1gb is allocated?

Peewee

Jul 29, 2019
No, what is it?[DOUBLEPOST=1401414223][/DOUBLEPOST]I think adding ram to the computer would raise that number to 1000 ish.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
i think so, actually, because your OS needs some so, one gig will help, but you will probably still top out.

Peewee

Jul 29, 2019
Ive seen people where its says like, 400mb of 1024 mb! So maybe i will maybe not who knows! Would i want to add more than one gig? Maybe two?

Peewee

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if my cpu is 64 bit, i think it might be, maybe you can tell me, its an intel pentium e2180 2ghz.

Also i do agree with you and only adding one gig, but if my cpu is 64 bit i might add more.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
you will need a 64 bit OS.[DOUBLEPOST=1401416488][/DOUBLEPOST]my internet is bad, so you will have to check. (or i could look in 2 days when my internet resets)

Peewee

Jul 29, 2019
Could my processor have updated? Like could the one on the market and mine be called the same but actually be different?

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
^^ I see that now the same questions that were addressed on page 2 are coming up again. Basically going in circles.... Most of us have pointed out most of the options open to you.
Here's the paradox: your PC specs are good enough - since most mod packs games are playable, but not good enough since you personally expect/want more from the machine.

Given the kind of technical technological obsolescence prevalent in the PC industry, you need to carefully do your own homework on how long you can extend your existing old PC's life by doing patchwork quilting on it.

I think it was @Wagon153 that remarked on another thread asking the same pattern of questions,
^^ Delayed gratification, but best gratification.

This is probably not the answer you want to hear, but this is the answer you need to hear.... (apologies to Commissioner Gordon ;))

Peewee

Jul 29, 2019
Th
^^ I see that now the same questions that were addressed on page 2 are coming up again. Basically going in circles.... Most of us have pointed out most of the options open to you.
Here's the paradox: your PC specs are good enough - since most mod packs games are playable, but not good enough since you personally expect/want more from the machine.

Given the kind of technical technological obsolescence prevalent in the PC industry, you need to carefully do your own homework on how long you can extend your existing old PC's life by doing patchwork quilting on it.

I think it was @Wagon153 that remarked on another thread asking the same pattern of questions,

^^ Delayed gratification, but best gratification.

This is probably not the answer you want to hear, but this is the answer you need to hear.... (apologies to Commissioner Gordon ;))
Thats definatly my goal but i would like to upgrade mine just a little so i can have fun while saving up!

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I am a little biased as I have 64 gigs of memory in my machines, and 16 of that is in my gaming desktop. I would say less than 8 is crazy, I use 3 for my Minecraft instance, I usually have couple tabs open in Firefox, music playing in the background, and a server management console open. That totals to around 5 gigs of usage + 1 gig for Windows and that's on days when I am relaxing. On work days I need all 16 because I have a lot more tabs open, 2 game instances for testing, a virtual machine, and my photo editing software uses a couple gigs once I load all my textures into it.
JESUS CHRIST
2 gigs works just fine, I use my iPad for music, and PC for gaming. Steam browser and iPad for internet, why in the HELL do you need all that at once?