Will my computer run FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Also, how do i pm someone? Is that like email?

Click on their portrait, and click on "Start a Conversation". It's basically a small thread for you and whoever you invite to it, up to a max of six (you + five).

Reactions: MoosyDoosy

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Ok thats basically my planned build (more detail of course) but until that i think just upgrading ram and maybe cpu would work for me, I'm just wanting to play horizons or direwolf20 pack!

You can't just upgrade CPU, your motherboard has an outdated socket so just finding a CPU that will fit is a challenge and the performance increase won't be much. Make sure you get the newest generation chips, the Haswell-Refresh chips will overclock like nobody's business. Also, forget the GTX 650, get a R7 265 or a R9 270X if you can afford it.

Last edited:

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
You can't just upgrade CPU, your motherboard has an outdated socket so just finding a CPU that will fit is a challenge and the performance increase won't be much. Make sure you get the newest generation chips, the Haswell-Refresh chips overclock like nobody's business. Also, forget the GTX 650, get a R7 265 or a R9 270X if you can afford it.

The 265 is like a half a step higher on Tom's hierarchy chart, and about $50 more expensive. hardly worth the extra money if the guy only plays minecraft. The card he has linked is more than overkill for minecraft; this isn't unreal 4 engine ya know?

Also @Peewee, if you do play other games, because I'm prejudice against ATI, the GTX 760 Ti is comparable both in price (edit: guess you need to shop around these days) and performance to the R9 270. :)

hmm. just thought i'd mention, isn't the reccomended CPU a i5, not an i3?

I don't think so. i5 is a quad core, and we all know about minecraft and it's multithreading capabilities...

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
The 265 is like a half a step higher on Tom's hierarchy chart, and about $50 more expensive. hardly worth the extra money if the guy only plays minecraft. The card he has linked is more than overkill for minecraft; this isn't unreal 4 engine ya know?

Also @Peewee, if you do play other games, because I'm prejudice against ATI, the GTX 760 Ti is comparable both in price (edit: guess you need to shop around these days) and performance to the R9 270. :)

I don't think so. i5 is a quad core, and we all know about minecraft and it's multithreading capabilities...
mmh.... don't remind me... just remember.... GET A GOOD GHz VALUE!

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
The biggest limiter is your 32 bit. Since you can only utilize 1GB ram with 32 bit java, you will be hardpressed to get playable results. I did play FTB Ultimate (1.4.7) with 32 bit java, and just BARELY was able to play.

Since upgrading to 64 bit java, optimization arguments + optifine, even on my quadcore ivy bridge, I get maybe 30 FPS if I'm lucky.

Reactions: ThomazM

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Depend greatly on how much shit you have going on though. My 1.4.7 world had over 200 engines running, with just over 500 blocks worth of MFR tree farm, etc. etc.

You won't be able to do much.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Hey I was wondering if this computer would run ftb direwolf20 or any other 1.6 pack. If you need more info i could probably get it but this is roughly what i know. I have a Pentium dual core E2180 at 2ghz I have 4gb of Ram and im running windows 7 32 bit. For graphics i have a Geforce 8400 GS (dinosaur i know) and yes this isn't

If someone hasn't mentioned it already, you're running 32 bit OS/Java. You're restricted to using 1GB, with that.

I have an i3 with integrated intel graphics, but 64bit OS. I have played all variants of FTB packs on them and more often than not, it is the lack of graphics card that is the bottleneck. My FPS is lower than normal on average, but it is not game breaking.
Using FpsPlus+, optifine+karonyix you can definitely continue playing FTB packs. Some people on these forums have found better performance running FTB packs via MultiMC launcher as well.

Well, I hope this information helps you in some way.

Reactions: midi_sec

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
If someone hasn't mentioned it already, you're running 32 bit OS/Java. You're restricted to using 1GB, with that.

I have an i3 with integrated intel graphics, but 64bit OS. I have played all variants of FTB packs on them and more often than not, it is the lack of graphics card that is the bottleneck. My FPS is lower than normal on average, but it is not game breaking.
Using FpsPlus+, optifine+karonyix you can definitely continue playing FTB packs. Some people on these forums have found better performance running FTB packs via MultiMC launcher as well.

Well, I hope this information helps you in some way.
what is "karonyix"

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
If someone hasn't mentioned it already, you're running 32 bit OS/Java. You're restricted to using 3GB, with that.

ftfy

edit: actually, I guess it depends on a few factors. link
32-bit Windows has an address space of 4GB. Part of that is used by system BIOSes and graphics memory.

With a 256MB graphics card about 3.3-3.5GB of RAM can be addressed and used, assuming you have 4GB fitted.

If you fit a graphics card with 1GB of memory only about 2.6-2.8GB of the RAM would be addressable and usable.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
ftfy

edit: actually, I guess it depends on a few factors. link

Okay. I was actually referring to the 1 GB memory allocation limitation within FTB launcher in a 32 bit OS in my reply. AFAIK, other launchers do allow more than 1 GB in a 32 bit setting.

So if you're on a 32 bit OS, and you're using FTB launcher for the packs, you're restricted to 1 GB for FTB. This can be OP's game breaker for a pack like monster, for example.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Peewee

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so i have decent fps, but my problem is just that its very spiky lag. Is that ram? Or cpu?

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Hey I was wondering if this computer would run ftb direwolf20 or any other 1.6 pack. If you need more info i could probably get it but this is roughly what i know. I have a Pentium dual core E2180 at 2ghz I have 4gb of Ram and im running windows 7 32 bit. For graphics i have a Geforce 8400 GS (dinosaur i know) and yes this isn't very good, but i want to know if it will run ftb until i can get a better computer.

(also I am new to the forums and still don't know where and how exactly to post things)

Thanks for any help!

Despite what others have said, this computer *should* run modded minecraft, although I wouldn't try monster and probably not DW20. The FTB Lite pack should run ok. AgS would probably be ok provided you make the jump to AE as soon as possible and use covered cable or set the config to turn off the AE cable rendering. These are the exact specs of my laptop, and I have run modded Minecraft successfully on it. That being said, it was a custom 1.5.2 (similar to 1.4.7 Ultimate), pack that I made before the FTB 1.5.2 packs were released, and about halfway through my build, I had to set up a server to run my world as by the time I started getting a bunch of machines in place, my computer couldn't keep up with both the client and server portions. My system would run my 1.5.2 pack in the 15-20 fps range. Not that great, but playable. When it started dropping to less than 10fps, it got unbearable. Switching to the server got it back in the 12-18 fps range.

So, it is doable, but I would recommend upgrading the system if possible.

Edit: My system did have 4GB of ram though of which I dedicated 2GB to Minecraft. If you only have 1GB, I wouldn't waste the money upgrading to 4GB of ram. (Maybe if you can get it really, really cheap or free.) Money would be better spent towards a new system.

ThomazM

Phoenix Team Founder
Jun 11, 2013
The Immortal's Cemetery
Is it worth it to upgrade to 8GB if you're planning to play Minecraft while doing other things (watching youtube videos, listening to music, reading wiki, basicly everything a dual monitor is capable of doing) ?
I'm not going to allocate more than 3GB to the launcher, of course.