Will my computer run FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Is it worth it to upgrade to 8GB if you're planning to play Minecraft while doing other things (watching youtube videos, listening to music, reading wiki, basicly everything a dual monitor is capable of doing) ?
I'm not going to allocate more than 3GB to the launcher, of course.

I am a little biased as I have 64 gigs of memory in my machines, and 16 of that is in my gaming desktop. I would say less than 8 is crazy, I use 3 for my Minecraft instance, I usually have couple tabs open in Firefox, music playing in the background, and a server management console open. That totals to around 5 gigs of usage + 1 gig for Windows and that's on days when I am relaxing. On work days I need all 16 because I have a lot more tabs open, 2 game instances for testing, a virtual machine, and my photo editing software uses a couple gigs once I load all my textures into it.

ThomazM

Phoenix Team Founder
Jun 11, 2013
The Immortal's Cemetery
I am a little biased as I have 64 gigs of memory in my machines, and 16 of that is in my gaming desktop. I would say less than 8 is crazy, I use 3 for my Minecraft instance, I usually have couple tabs open in Firefox, music playing in the background, and a server management console open. That totals to around 5 gigs of usage + 1 gig for Windows and that's on days when I am relaxing. On work days I need all 16 because I have a lot more tabs open, 2 game instances for testing, a virtual machine, and my photo editing software uses a couple gigs once I load all my textures into it.

64 Gb of RAM... That's like, my left kidney worth of money.

Seriously now, do you really feel the necessity of that much RAM? For someone not able to spend that much money, and planning on doing simple multi-tasking, do you think that's absolutely necessary?

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
So if the ram was cheap would it help to upgrade to 4gb from 1gb?

Well, as others have stated, 32bit Java is limited to 1GB of memory. If you had 2GB in your system, you could have 1 for all your programs and such, with the full 1gb assigned for minecraft. If your computer has multiple cores and 3GB of ram (and the 1GB limit for java is per instance and not total), you could have 1 thread running a server (with 1GB), 1 thread running minecraft (1GB) and another running all your OS stuff. (A separate machine to run a server would be better.) It would probably make it viable.

You could always try it out. If the additional memory was free, you would only be out your time, and that would confirm a few things with your system.

A couple things that have been mentioned a bit that could help. Set a short render distance. Update your video drivers. Clean up your system startup programs (background tasks outside of windows). Run Optifine. There are several different versions of optifine. They all work a bit different. Some may cause Minecraft to crash on your computer, other versions may enhance your game play. It's a lot of trial and error and error. There are a few threads that have Java optimizations that may help eek out every bit of performance in your computer. If you play AgS, use tubes sparingly. Always use opaque tubes when you do. Don't load up any one room with lots and lots of machines. Try to spread them out a bit. The rendering will take quite a bit of horsepower, and if you limit the number of machines, microblocks, tubes, and what not in one area, that will help out a bit. Avoid openblocks liquid tanks. They do a tremendous amount of rendering to display the liquids.

If you can start a game and have your FPS around the mid 20s with nothing in the world, you just might be able to play. If you aren't hitting 20fps, you will have to try something else. By the time you start building up some machines, your FPS could be cut in half, which would put you about 12-15 FPS--Playable, but just barely. Anything below 10 is awful.

Peewee

Jul 29, 2019
Ive done almost all those things and it has helped, but my problem isnt fps i have about 40 fps with about 90 mods, but my problem is spikey lag! It gltiches or shutters often. If i just clear my temp files and reload minecraft it works for a while. So would having an extra 1 or 2gb of ram help with that?

Peewee

Jul 29, 2019
I have a question about in game minecraft can i ask it here? Or do i need to start a new theead?

Taurine Ganz

Jul 29, 2019
I have a dual core processor 4ghz, 4 gb of ram windows 7 64 bit and a GeForce graphics card, and I get around 40-60FPS when evrything is loaded and running all the time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peewee

Jul 29, 2019
OK y'all, I'm still confused a little. If my computer has a total of 1gb of ram, and minecraft shows in f3 mode that im using 98 percent of ram, and when its at 98% it laggs. If i added 1gb of ram to my computer so that i have a total of 2gb, would it help with this problem? Also this is without allocating any ram, i only have 32 bit OS.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
OK y'all, I'm still confused a little. If my computer has a total of 1gb of ram, and minecraft shows in f3 mode that im using 98 percent of ram, and when its at 98% it laggs. If i added 1gb of ram to my computer so that i have a total of 2gb, would it help with this problem? Also this is without allocating any ram, i only have 32 bit OS.
oh. hah. thought you meant in task manager. if minecraft says that, then you need 64 bit stuff.(32 bit has a 1 gig max)

Peewee

Jul 29, 2019
I know that. but if i had "background" ram, or RAM that isn't being allocated to minecraft but its still in my computer, will it help with spiky lag?

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
no, i think the "spiky lag" is from too little ram in MC.[DOUBLEPOST=1401406786][/DOUBLEPOST](it might help a little tho but not much)