Why no new launcher.

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

angerbar

Jul 29, 2019
Will the new launcher make new pack directories for each version of a pack? I think it should. It's not immediately obvious (or at least wasn't to me) that a pack update can cause problems in existing worlds. I think creating a new directory and copying existing worlds over (or refusing to if you know it will fail) would be best practice. This kind of behavior will save newbies some headaches and frustration.

_gjkf_

Jul 29, 2019
Will the new launcher make new pack directories for each version of a pack? I think it should. It's not immediately obvious (or at least wasn't to me) that a pack update can cause problems in existing worlds. I think creating a new directory and copying existing worlds over (or refusing to if you know it will fail) would be best practice. This kind of behavior will save newbies some headaches and frustration.

I totally agree with you.

eashonk

Jul 29, 2019
Afraid to show their real face? That's a funny way to word it, are you gonna dare people next?

As for the FTB launcher, #1 priority should be getting a working usable version out to the public ASAP. I barely see a reason for me to switch back, other then some insane loyalty I have to some internet group of volunteers.

i perceive it as fear, so not funny to me at all, that's why some people get so nasty, they hide behind a facade and their anonymity

and i think that the next version of ftb will raise the bar, so there will be plenty of reason to go back

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
One thing I find myself wondering about is the total lack of update news on the main page for Feed The Beast. It was becoming like a poster on a wall that slowly fades away and crumbles over time.

I'm just glad that you guys kept Slow's twitter feed open because when there were finally some new tweets I thought "Yay an update - hopefully something will happen in the next six months!"

I do keep checking around sniffing out the smallest of news tidbits, and while I don't tell anyone about it, I do read it and understand that someone is still there trying to make things happen. I guess we're lucky we have Slowpoke running things, most other pokemon would have given up by now! ;)

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I have to agree with Jaded here. If there's something FTB has it is very talented people. Look at the art by BigBad, the website and forum work by Captain, the Wiki articles by the teams, etc. I also believe Slow and co. also have exellent ideas for their products.

The true problem is the management of those assets. An example; Jaded herself indicated that she isn't necessarily the most skilled spokesperson. Which is fine because we all have our strengths and weaknesses, and Jaded already has plenty of strengths. But if Jaded and Slow aren't the greatest spokespersons then why not assign a person or team to do precisely that? I know as owner you enjoy being the 'face' of the company but there is a reason why companies hire media relations and spokepersons.

We have tried putting media personnel on the team 4 times now with 4 very different people. For various reasons they haven't worked out. Weirdly while in long forum posts I come across a bit harsh , in short twitter posts I am reasonably good at getting information out to the community. The main issue is busy coders and mod pack creators do not have the time to search out a media person and give them a run down of whats going on. The media person needs to go to the launcher/web/modpack teams sit around and listen in and ask questions. And that just hasn't happened. Slow and I usually know whats going on because we both talk to someone from each team every week if not more frequently. For a media person to be successful for FTB they are going to have to do the same thing. Its not an easy job. They would need to go to each of the teams spend time with them ask questions get information and then distill it all down into updates that were useful not an easy job.

Loki_Danai

Jul 29, 2019
I just have a simple question. I'm a server owner, but I find it hard to add plugins like Grief Prevention and Permissions. Will there be a way that we can easily be able to add these to our FTB servers?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhere over the rainbow.
Please forgive me if an answer is somewhere in the 12 pages of this post, I seriously don't have the time to read everything here, but I need to have 1 thing cleared out quick, will there be any FTB packs on 1.6.4 or you will only do 1.7 or 1.8 packs, this will determine if I stay in the FTB fans or I move to a different launcher from now on, so many mods have done so many awesome stuff in 1.6.4 that I don't want to skip that version, especially knowing that it could take 1 yr for a new pack of mods to be released due to the heavy changes made in 1.7 of Minecraft, I totally understand why they did that and it will be awesome once everyone understand how to code mods for it, no more ID conflicts since everything added by mods will have a name instead, this itself makes it so awesome, but for now, being stuck in 1.5.2 for modded play isn't really awesome...

Your hard work is really appreciated...

Reactions: Bufordfarmboy

Geech6

Jul 29, 2019
Please forgive me if an answer is somewhere in the 12 pages of this post, I seriously don't have the time to read everything here, but I need to have 1 thing cleared out quick, will there be any FTB packs on 1.6.4 or you will only do 1.7 or 1.8 packs, this will determine if I stay in the FTB fans or I move to a different launcher from now on, so many mods have done so many awesome stuff in 1.6.4 that I don't want to skip that version, especially knowing that it could take 1 yr for a new pack of mods to be released due to the heavy changes made in 1.7 of Minecraft, I totally understand why they did that and it will be awesome once everyone understand how to code mods for it, no more ID conflicts since everything added by mods will have a name instead, this itself makes it so awesome, but for now, being stuck in 1.5.2 for modded play isn't really awesome...

Your hard work is really appreciated...

First of all, you only need to read slow's first post to know there will be few 1.6.4 packs...

Second, 1.7 is not even currently being coded for anything by anyone, because MCP is not updated yet, which makes it about 2 months away (after MCP comes out) for even the easiest mods and up to (and probably beyond) 6 months for major content mods to be updated for 1.7...

Third, because no one is currently developing for 1.7, they won't skip 1.6.4, current mods are being tested, and current mods will be put in packs... Learn to read...

I'm done with my rant now...

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
We have tried putting media personnel on the team 4 times now with 4 very different people. For various reasons they haven't worked out. Weirdly while in long forum posts I come across a bit harsh , in short twitter posts I am reasonably good at getting information out to the community. The main issue is busy coders and mod pack creators do not have the time to search out a media person and give them a run down of whats going on. The media person needs to go to the launcher/web/modpack teams sit around and listen in and ask questions. And that just hasn't happened. Slow and I usually know whats going on because we both talk to someone from each team every week if not more frequently. For a media person to be successful for FTB they are going to have to do the same thing. Its not an easy job. They would need to go to each of the teams spend time with them ask questions get information and then distill it all down into updates that were useful not an easy job.

All very valid points. However, for a media person to be successful they need one very important key, ACCESS:

• Access to all locations where updates/discussions are made internally, not just one TS channel.
  • Access to all FTB teams AND ensure everyone is aware they need to provide information to the media person and answer all questions.
  • Access to the decision makers. A media person has to be careful as to what information is provided to the public and they find themselves frequently feeding articles to decision makers to approve. If those decision makers are inaccessible or simply not online frequently enough then the media person's job becomes impossible.
  • Access to create new threads when they deem necessary in the proper forums rather than just posts within threads created by others.
  • Additionally, even if certain mod pack staff member or other staff members want to release the news themselves that does not mean they should. Yes it is nice to be the center of attention when you have good news but the media person is there to be the face of the company both during good and bad times and ALL significant news must be either released by them or approved by them for wording and sentence structuring before public dissemination.
  • Lastly, the media person needs to be listened to, if he/she recommends to reorganize the way news is being released then pay due consideration since these people are supposed to be knowledgeable in these areas, not just someone that can write pretty sentences. For gods sake, Reddit is not a news outlet, and please name a company that uses twitter as its main news outlet?

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
Whenever I see important information released on third party sites like reddit I feel like my loyalty is being taken for granted. (in that area at least)
Modpack and launcher news section should be renamed to "T shirts and sponsorship - go search the web for real news". Sorry for sarcasm, but if your after news and updates this has never been the place to find it.
But we had this discussion months ago where FTB aknowledged it's failings in communication and said wheels were in motion to address the matter.
Maybe I missed a newer post on Reddit about the situation but nothing has changed.

Also, releasing news on a stream is real amateaur hour as well. Nothing at all wrong with that as long as it coincides with a well written post detailing the same info. But that never happens.
And I'm not talking about titbits of info which are fine for streams, I'm talking about anouncing REAL news and info such as modpack releases.
But again, this whole subject is like a bad attack of Deja'vu.

That said. Credit where credit is due. This thread was actual news, and in the correct section on the correct forum.

Last edited:

Takaste

Jul 29, 2019
i get distressed when i start reading posts that comes across with the content of FTB being a corporate business complete with paid hirelings and fixed plans for the future, when i still see one of the founders (Slowpoke) making it perfectly clear that FTB is still a non-profit organization. yet. Personally i think that untill people start paying the developers COOL hard cash and in sufficient amount to make their efforts a fulltime job, no further suggestions should be made to turn their efforts into a corporate slave-job. if anyone have a good valid suggestion they should be willing to volunteer for that job.

The developers of said launcher is doing what they can in their sparetime (however large or small that may be) and i for one think that deserves all the credit they can accept and they do a darn good job of it.

TecmagDiams

Jul 29, 2019
Yay, there wasn't some horrible accident that killed the entire FTB team. :3 Glad to hear news, as far as I'm concerned any new is good news, because it means things are changing, happening, progressing. Take your time, just remember to say something to us from time to time so we know you are not dead. (I recently found that the FTB_Team twitter is good for that)

Reactions: Aubinator

trev1234

Jul 29, 2019
i don't really mind when the new launcher comes out, they have to good plans for it, i'd rather see a launcher that isnt rushed, from all the Concepts they've had and ideas they've supplied, the new launcher will trump over the other launchers with style and user friendliness

Either way, can't wait to see it, no matter how long it takes

Status
Not open for further replies.