Why no new launcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathjazz

Jul 29, 2019
Doom and gloom? Maybe... Personally I find a post from Slowpoke to be more heartening than no post from Slowpoke. I have had little time since Summer ended to be active on the forum, but I have tried to check for a Slowpoke post each week since then. Glad to know that stuff is happening and that there is information from the Source of Everything.
I just wish there were more Slowposts on the forum. Like, once a week. Even if they are just things like "This week I wrote the code for this part of the launcher, see you next week." Or something equivalently short. I just want to know that he is still alive.
Thanks again Slowpoke for everything you do.

Geech6

Jul 29, 2019
I was trying to come up with something worthwhile to say to the FTB team regarding the FTB Launcher like, "Keep on grinding, I know how hard it is," or "Take your time, I've had projects go over projected time too."

But now even with this "hotfix" of the v1 launcher, I feel sort of jipped that we got an update that was completely reversed less than 2 days after it was made. I feel like we were all given a time period that was a month or two away from playing a 1.6.4 pack, but instead now we're told to ignore everything Slowspoke said (by slowpoke mind you) about v2 being the only launcher they were putting out going forward (if he didn't actually say that, I feel it was implied) was wrong, and that v1 was updated to handle 1.6.4 by "a person highly respected in the minecraft modding community."

I understand it being a gargantuan task, but it kind seems like the original post (even if it actually wasn't) was timed in just a way to show how massive a task it was to the community mere days (less than 2 days) before a hotfix was applied to v1...

I'm sure I'm wrong. I'm sure I sound like a condescending conspiracy theorist (which I'm trying not to be), but it's just something I noticed. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: QueWhat

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I was trying to come up with something worthwhile to say to the FTB team regarding the FTB Launcher like, "Keep on grinding, I know how hard it is," or "Take your time, I've had projects go over projected time too."

But now even with this "hotfix" of the v2 launcher, I feel sort of jipped that we got an update that was completely reversed less than 2 days after it was made. I feel like we were all given a time period that was a month or two away from playing a 1.6.4 pack, but instead now we're told to ignore everything Slowspoke said (by slowpoke mind you) about v3 being the only launcher they were putting out going forward (if he didn't actually say that, I feel it was implied) was wrong, and that v2 was updated to handle 1.6.4 by "a person highly respected in the minecraft modding community."

I understand it being a gargantuan task, but it kind seems like the original post (even if it actually wasn't) was timed in just a way to show how massive a task it was to the community mere days (less than 2 days) before a hotfix was applied to v2...

I'm sure I'm wrong. I'm sure I sound like a condescending conspiracy theorist (which I'm trying not to be), but it's just something I noticed. :)

I think you're mixed up with the version numbers... the new launcher should be v2, while the old launcher is v1. and the update of the v1 launcher to work with 1.6.4 should make it a v1.5 launcher rather then a whole new version...

Geech6

Jul 29, 2019
I think you're mixed up with the version numbers... the new launcher should be v2, while the old launcher is v1. and the update of the v1 launcher to work with 1.6.4 should make it a v1.5 launcher rather then a whole new version...

Forgive me, I'm surprised that's the only mistake I made.

Edited for Posterity.

hutchkc

Jul 29, 2019
Being in software development for 30 years or so it looks like the management team has let down the entire team. From an outsider it looks like they are making a lot of the same issues lesser experienced people make and their communication reinforces this thought. Trying to get a team cohesive and making deadlines/goals isn't easy and to me it looks like they are learning in a trial by fire manner. So they have my sympathy for the pain and panic they are currently feeling as I've been there.

FTB has lost their initiative allowed competitors to gain a larger market share. This will potentially hurt them with gaining advertisers and support so is not something that can go unchecked. I think the reactions here along with more and more talk of ATLauncher has reinforced the 'we have to do something NOW' panic that I'm seeing. Most of it from their own doing, with poor communication between the teams and abysmal communication with the public being the primary cause.

This round is over, FTB took it on the chin. The real question is how will the next round go. Will they have learned from the mistakes and taken steps to avoid the same issues? If not they may be in trouble as fans are a fickle bunch. They have already burnt some goodwill and if they flail for 1.7 they might be burning a lot of it since it shows a pattern. I have high hopes as it seems to me Slowpoke and his team leaders love their product and are aware that they failed and let their teams down. So atm they are probably trying to improve morale and tell their people that 'it's ok' and move forward learning from their mistakes.

Last edited:

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
Direct message to the FtB team...

Change your Credo/Team Motto/Mission statement or whatever you have to:

"Damned if you do, Damned if you don't"
That's unfortunately how it goes. The key is figuring out which one damns you less.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
First - Although I cant mention a name yet. I recently added a new member to the FTB team. This is a person highly respected in the minecraft modding community. This person has essentially been taken on to oversee launcher development. This in and of itself has added to the delays as this person has made some changes and suggestions that we will be making to improve the launcher.

You know it's posted all over twitter right ????? Welcome Tema :p

nick1wasd

Jul 29, 2019
You clarified your position on private packs, but would you be so kind as to clarify the position on third-party public mod packs when you get closer to a release? For example, a separate list of mods that have been given either OGL/GNU type permissions, or mod authors who have given blanket permissions for mods distributed via the FTB Launcher would go a long way in simplifying that process, and would also enormously help mod pack maintainers avoid problems with permissions or lack thereof.
Slowpoke has already stated that he will have a list of blanket permission/open use mods that FTB is allowed to use, you will then to check the mods you want in boxes, and (i'm guessing) be able to name the pack,and give it an ID for the launcher (in case of private packs, again this is only a guess) then draw an emblem for the pack (like how unleashed is a 5 claw slash across a black background, and the words "UNLEASHED" ) then *click* mod pack posted :) at least that is what i got from his post

Last edited:

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting poll here that gives a good overview of the user-base reduction for FTB compared to AT + other launcher's increments, approximately 35%+ have ceased to use FTB in lieu of other launchers. I'm sure Slow and the team are seeing the download and other statistics and noticing the drops; IMO, as I have not seen the numbers.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Yeah.. But, I believe that is mostly due to a lack of a new 1.6 launcher. I'll bet those numbers reverse once the the 1.6 packs have been released. I know I've been using the vanilla launcher to play my custom magic world until the 1.6 packs are released. Then I plan to use the FTB launcher again.

Geech6

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah.. But, I believe that is mostly due to a lack of a new 1.6 launcher. I'll bet those numbers reverse once the the 1.6 packs have been released. I know I've been using the vanilla launcher to play my custom magic world until the 1.6 packs are released. Then I plan to use the FTB launcher again.

I did the same, and it wasn't as hard to install mods into it that I thought. The server on the other hand was more complicated than I care to admit, but never the less, it's easier than it's made out to be.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019

I hope so. One characteristic of the FTB community is how closely most follow the development of their favourite mods (featured in many of the youtube channels we all subscribe too) and as a result our thirst for exploring new features.

By not providing a launcher for 1.6 mods -- or worse, no meaningful communication on the subject -- the FTB team has displayed a lack of understanding and complacency towards its own userbase. There's no doubting the team has some competent technical subject matter experts, but recent events have exposed some real shortcomings in their brand strategy.

Eloraam was slammed for her lack of communication and empty promises. I would really hate to see FTB continue down the same road.

Reactions: QueWhat

fps_master91

Jul 29, 2019
Has there been any recent news on the new launcher? so far all we've heard is the FTB Facebook page make a premature and miss informed post and the Page Mod for Direwolf come out and say basically the packs are done but the launcher isn't. So far FTB is the only one lagging behind everyone else i.e Technic and AT.

Geech6

Jul 29, 2019
Has there been any recent news on the new launcher? so far all we've heard is the FTB Facebook page make a premature and miss informed post and the Page Mod for Direwolf come out and say basically the packs are done but the launcher isn't. So far FTB is the only one lagging behind everyone else i.e Technic and AT.

Reverse that last one, the v1 launcher can handle 1.6.4 packs but the packs are not finished.

fps_master91

Jul 29, 2019
Oh sorry I'm going off information by someone who obviously has no clue...that seems to happen a lot it seems.

Oops. Jumped the gun a bit. The packs are working on the launcher, but aren't released yet. My bad!

~Carl (Page Mod)

Status
Not open for further replies.