Why no new launcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke Gevaerts

Jul 29, 2019
All this stuff reminds me of the years I spent as a volunteer working for a gaming website that made enough money to get incorporated but too little to actually hire people. I could write volumes about all the unprofessional shit I've seen happen in an organization that once had regular contacts with a number of (then) high-profile developers, but let's just say that I got sick of it and called it quits.

I don't know how they're doing nowadays, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's still the exact same mess I walked out of back then.

The opening post reeks of disorganization and volunteer burn-out (actually, we've seen the latter happen already - more than once). I'm not trying to discredit anyone, but I know what it's like to be in a situation like that - and I also know it ends poorly more often than not. Here's hoping you folks can pull it together and deliver what you're hoping to deliver.

Reactions: un worry

Thebandit21

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I'm glad to see people are trying their hardest to get this launcher out ASAP. Thanks for the update slow.

TFS

Jul 29, 2019
First of all, thank you slowpoke and a big thank you to all the FTB-modders out there for trying to get this working!!!!
And thank you for finally an answer to all these "when will new launcher come..."-questions (i dont exclude myself) because there were times i thought FTB was dead.

I really hope you can get up the good work and continue!!
(and i might go to far with this but: dont do it like Eloraam.......please! I still miss redpower even with ProjectRed)

Perhaps you are reading this and might grab some of this ideas for you:

- Rewards for developing
There are people who want to spend some money on FTB (including me) when this pushes the developement - and i mean not merchandise. Perhaps you can put up a paypal-pool and reward everybody who is working on the launcher (or even their mods) for every week a bit on their work (as long the paypalaccount has money). This should motivated people even more, but just a suggestion.
(And set up Goals for the subscribers like $50 free Tshirt or something like that)

- Problem with the downloading of modpacks:
1) Every Mod has to be named in a specific format. Like "name--version.jar/.zip" example: "buildcraft--421.jar" (shouldnt be too much problems for developers or FTBTeam to do this)
2) Every Mod local (already downloaded) will be thrown into one single main-folder
3) On startup Launcher creates a list with mods in the mainfolder and compares it with a xml on the FTBServer (rather comparing with filename or/and creation-date of file)
4) Is there a newer version -> download
5) For every Modpack there will be packages of configfiles and a list of included mods
6) On launching a Modpack the launcher throws every mod/config in a temporary minecraft-folder and launches it

Through this way you can easily build your own packs and you can update every single part easily.

- Speak more to the community
Release more internal news, so people can get their own picture of FTB-Developement.
I think many are turning their back on FTB cause they just dont hear anything from you or getting tired of waiting.
For me Direwolf20 and FTB are the center of Minecraft. Without DW, the modders, FTB, ... Minecraft would make me yawning so fast. I dont like the fancy stuff like Tekkit or Hexxit. But you (FTB) bring many functional stuff which is even working together - directly from the modders. I really like this.
But iam watching the direwolf-series and seeing him doing all this cool stuff and improved
and every time something new is added, iam just like: "woooow this will be so amazing *-* I want to play!"
But iam tired of waiting and i heard no news about the new modpacks/launcher. Rumors spreading and some information leaks from time to time...but nothing from you. So in the past quater/half year i said to myself: "This takes too long. Iam going to build my own like-FTB-modpack" And searched the minecraft-forums for every available mod ...

So more news (and even when they are just little) would be very important for me ._. Sorry for beeing harsh, but this is how to loose your community.
At least thats how i am feeling...

And just one more time: Thank you for doing this for us! Really! Even when you keep us waiting from time to time ;)

eashonk

Jul 29, 2019
"This takes too long. Iam going to build my own like-FTB-modpack" And searched the minecraft-forums for every available mod ...

you should check this out: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1210470

it lists every available mod that's been updated to 1.6.4, their download link, website, and wiki if available, also he has a set of config files you can download that work pretty good. I was using it but broke my world trying to install Thermal Expansion 3, but ATLauncher has that now, so I setup a Resonant Rise server that is pretty awesome. I don't know if it is their modpack, or 1.6.4, but it is fast, way faster than any other mod I've played, and it has 170 some mods in it, and the NEI doesn't puke when you try to look up the uses of something. *note you have to change your keyboard layout for some of the mods because conflicts on these will crash your client if pressed in game.

Also, you will want to mess with your ore gen configs if you use metallurgy. It is quite obnoxious otherwise.

I will def go back to ftb once they get it done, but by then it may be pointless as I will be surely pretty far along in my own 1.6.4 pack by the time release their update.

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
Although I am no longer as active on the forums as I used to be I do keep an eye on the forums daily and I am glad to see an update on the progress thus far, but I am most glad to see that organizational improvements are being made.

It is a difficult thing to organize such a large project with nothing but volunteers. An example; if John Doe is working on the coding and decides all of a sudden to disappear you are out of luck, now your project is dead in the water until you find someone else that is capable, willing to work for free, and that can pick up where John Doe left off.

For the sake of FTB and the great folks that share a passion for this project; I truly hope that FTB can become a united and organized entity, with its business units, organizational charts, and dependable motivated passionate team leaders. An organization is built up by the individuals within and their efforts.

I stated months ago after seeing specific measurable data that FTB had grown too large to remain in its current state. Even if volunteers remain the core and foundation of this organization; everyone must be held accountable, must be motivated, needs to feel valuable to the organization, - and for those times they lose motivation - must feel a sense of responsibility. Please heed my words as I speak from experience, work first and foremost on the team and the organization or this and future projects will suffer.

EclipsionDrake

Jul 29, 2019
once thing im curious about is something that you said pertaining to server usage of mod packs. Through this method will there no longer be a "server.zip" version of aforementioned mod packs? If so it seems like it adds an uneccessary layer of complexity to the server building process, and while i understand that for 'some' individuals this will be easier, i personally find the "upload pack to server host, unpack, run server bat" to be a fairly simplified process as it stands. I guess part of my sentiments are just a general conservatism of "if it works, use it" and i'll just need to wait and see how it works when its finished. Anyway, made a profile to join the discussion, off to bed now.

Xadavus

Jul 29, 2019
YAY! Big news finally here! Yes I have read few small news about delays and issues and all. But with this big news and bit more information of what is going on, I'll gladly wait a bit longer. I think FTB team adjustment (resignation or new crew member) along with MC 1.6 changes and FTB Launcher revamp pretty much became a perfect storm.. well almost. I don't blame them for not having any eta due to the challenges they face, especially if all the work is done during free time and as volunteer. Holiday is approaching and people may have less time to spend on programming.

I doubt many say this..
FTB: Thank you for your time and hard work, thank you for taking the free time, frustrations and headaches upon yourself to make FTB Launcher and modpacks easier for many others. Happy Holidays!

Bigdog

Jul 29, 2019
we will be releasing in full the FTB master config list in order to help in the construction of packs.

Can we get those master configs now wile we wait this way we can go and work on are packs now with those master configs it would help allot for the pack i already working on though its only got like maybe 1/2 of the unleashed pack its a hardcore pack hehe so allot of the mods are just not there or i using something else instead like instead of BoP i using EXLB.
Offtopic but i think we should wager if starbound will have its game fully out of beta be for xycraft because he's not going to want to work on xycraft now that starbound is out hehe should do a bet or something and have the 1/2 of the bet amount be donated to him so he can get it done as i think he will loose just to get the 1/2 the bet amount hehe. at lest ether way it would ether get him to work on it so he don't let someone win that bet or he would just wait for the money from the donation then work on it then. I think next time he streams i might do that in his chat not going to post here how much i willing to wager, but ya hehe that's if i can get on when he streams next.

Last edited:

villecoder

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for the update. The news is highly appreciated.
I do have a question, though. Why not delay the private pack support and release it incrementally?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Delta updating! Yes! This will help streamline pack downloads and updates enormously.

In all seriousness, take however long you need to get it done right. We will all still be here.

You clarified your position on private packs, but would you be so kind as to clarify the position on third-party public mod packs when you get closer to a release? For example, a separate list of mods that have been given either OGL/GNU type permissions, or mod authors who have given blanket permissions for mods distributed via the FTB Launcher would go a long way in simplifying that process, and would also enormously help mod pack maintainers avoid problems with permissions or lack thereof.

Bubbleo

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like ATLauncher and the mob over there seem to be overtaking FTB in leaps and bounds since there able to come out with all the packs that people are after.

I wish FTB all the luck for the future :)

eashonk

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like ATLauncher and the mob over there seem to be overtaking FTB in leaps and bounds since there able to come out with all the packs that people are after.

I wish FTB all the luck for the future :)

yes, I think the FTB team has lost focus on the fact that while they are "testing" (running round playing the game we all want to be playing to find bugs), we are left out in the cold watching, drooling. With the mod community, it is always about the latest, newest, shiniest mods, and if you can't deliver them in a timely fashion, the community will move on, you have lost your momentum and it is going to be very difficult to get it back. A perfect example of this moving on behavior is your very own DireWolf20. Every time he moves from forge 2 to 3 or 3 to 2, he always says he will continue to play the current world, but that only lasts a few episodes until he has completely moved on to the new, updated server that has shiny new mods and bug fixes of his current favs.

BTW, configuring the packs isn't all that difficult, I've no programming experience and got 1.6.4 working on a remote server with most of the mods I wanted with no support. Not saying that the actual programming of the launcher itself isn't difficult, but putting together your own pack to play, especially with the vanilla launcher is fairly straight forward.

Reactions: Bubbleo

Bubbleo

Jul 29, 2019
yes, I think the FTB team has lost focus on the fact that while they are "testing" (running round playing the game we all want to be playing to find bugs), we are left out in the cold watching, drooling. With the mod community, it is always about the latest, newest, shiniest mods, and if you can't deliver them in a timely fashion, the community will move on, you have lost your momentum and it is going to be very difficult to get it back. A perfect example of this moving on behavior is your very own DireWolf20. Every time he moves from forge 2 to 3 or 3 to 2, he always says he will continue to play the current world, but that only lasts a few episodes until he has completely moved on to the new, updated server that has shiny new mods and bug fixes of his current favs.

BTW, configuring the packs isn't all that difficult, I've no programming experience and got 1.6.4 working on a remote server with most of the mods I wanted with no support. Not saying that the actual programming of the launcher itself isn't difficult, but putting together your own pack to play, especially with the vanilla launcher is fairly straight forward.

I agree...FTB started it with good intentions and the right idea but it has been lost along the way. Now it seems to be more focusing on the Modders, Streamers and Youtubers such as Direwolf20 and the like. I probably be insulted and burnt at the stake for stating my opinion and that's all it is my opinion, but that is expected from this community unfortunately if somebody doesn't agree or says something even remotely or even interpreted as being negative against FTB there insulted or flamed seen it too many times in this community, just in this thread alone there have been even staff involved in being snarky, sarcastic, also members telling other members to shut up just because they state their own opinion.

If people really believe FTB is the centre of modded minecraft really need to think again if there not too careful the ATLauncher will bypass them which they already have and FTB will become a faint memory if they don't start to actually move forward and refocus on what they started out to do. To me it seems that FTB has fallen to the good ole Tall Poppy syndrome and I think it be good to see them knocked down a peg or two to realise that they aren't the only launcher out there and they are falling behind and if they agree or disagree losing people going either to the ATlauncher or making there own modpacks to use.

Do not get me wrong I do hope FTB gets back on track and starts to move forward I really do but they need to stop feeding the community scraps and long winded posts of excuses as it simply been proven it can be done and has already been done.

Last edited:
Reactions: nitezaw

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019

No its not hard..if all you're doing is fixing id conflicts. However do you know which 2 mod configs you need to set to false to make fancy fences and mfr play nice together? do you know which 4 config lines you need to change to have specific versions of Morph, Modular Power Suits and Thaumcraft play nice without crashing? Do you know which recipe configs to turn on and off to make mods feel even in a cohesive pack? This list goes on and on and on. ID conflicts are what most people think of when they say "modpack creation". But quite a few of the "bug reports" we get can in fact be fixed by changing a line in a config so 2 mods aren't overwriting each other. And finding all those little tweaks is what takes time and experience with a lot of mods in different combinations. Eyamaz and I just spent an hour tracking down a cross mod bug with 2 mods the fix: changing 1 line from 0 to 25 and it wasn't about ID's

Also we aren't playing modpacks, go watch some of the streamers who are part of the test team. They lose days of work, sometimes entire worlds sometimes multiple times a day. Testing does not equal playing. Its long its tedious and we can't just focus on our favorite mods. We have to try alll the mods and then combine them and see what fails.

Last edited:

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
It's nice to at least be kept in the loop so we can answer to the people who don't play FTB anymore for the lack of 1.6.

It won't bring them back, but at least it won't make them feel as abandoned.

Bubbleo

Jul 29, 2019
No its not hard..if all you're doing is fixing id conflicts. However do you know which 2 mod configs you need to set to false to make fancy fences and mfr play nice together? do you know which 4 config lines you need to change to have specific versions of Morph, Modular Power Suits and Thaumcraft play nice without crashing? Do you know which recipe configs to turn on and off to make mods feel even in a cohesive pack? This list goes on and on and on. ID conflicts are what most people think of when they say "modpack creation". But quite a few of the "bug reports" we get can in fact be fixed by changing a line in a config so 2 mods aren't overwriting each other. And finding all those little tweaks is what takes time and experience with a lot of mods in different combinations.

Also we aren't playing modpacks, go watch some of the streamers who are part of the test team. They lose days of work, sometimes entire worlds sometimes multiple times a day. Testing does not equal playing. Its long its tedious and we can't just focus on our favorite mods. We have to try alll the mods and then combine them and see what fails.

Amazingly you have a whole team doing this and yet a tiny ATLauncher has been able to do more than what you guys have done to date, and keeps his community informed.... Seems there are certain features your implenting that are currently already on the ATLauncher....Seems packs such as Resonant Rise and the like with over 170 mods seems to work nicely and there new and relatively smaller than FTB but seem to have accomplished more in less time...Seems there more concerned about actually getting the packs out for people instead of making things look pretty.....

Thank you also for showing that as long as you have a staff rank you can be as condascending as you like its the typical attitude of "all members are idiots and have no clue on how modding or putting a pack together because there not part of the FTB Team or not a Known modder" I would stop assuming all members are idiots and have no idea on whats involved. The reasoning is this its been proven that these packs can and have been provided by another Launcher and yet you all still fall behind. Yes the other packs are stable.

Funny enough the 1.6.4 mod pack i run on my server with 175 mods on it actually runs better and more efficient than any FTB pack to date :p

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
And while it's on my mind again, why the heck does Lawbroken have the title "Crazy Batman"? o_O

One of the few perks to being staff... custom titles... which Law uses to showcase his uniqueness. There was a very small space of time where Slow's title read "Boss Banana" . We're a bit odd and if giving one of the staff members a weird title perks their day up a bit and gives them a laugh... totally worth it.

Dorkstinn425

Jul 29, 2019
Well I am glad to hear that there is some form of update as to how things are going. Thank you to everyone who is involved in a project as large as this. Though I will have to wait I know that it will be worth it.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you also for showing that as long as you have a staff rank you can be as condascending as you like its the typical attitude of "all members are idiots and have no clue on how modding or putting a pack together because there not part of the FTB Team or not a Known modder" I would stop assuming all members are idiots and have no idea on whats involved. The reasoning is this its been proven that these packs can and have been provided by another Launcher and yet you all still fall behind. Yes the other packs are stable.

I'm sorry if it came across as condescending. I said most players, not all . ATLauncher doesn't make the packs on the launcher as far as I know. And KirinDave and the ResonantRise team are experienced with configs. I've never had an issue with the RR team. I do tend to be very blunt and non-diplomatic, which is why I tend not to talk much around here. Most of our volunteers/staff started as regular members . SO I certainly don't think all members are idiots. I do think people frequently underestimate the ammount of effort involved in making 8 different packs and trying to make them stable. That doesn't mean I think they are stupid. I'm sorry if you felt I was implying you were stupid.

Reactions: kheeler

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Amazingly you have a whole team doing this and yet a tiny ATLauncher has been able to do more than what you guys have done to date, and keeps his community informed.... Seems there are certain features your implenting that are currently already on the ATLauncher....Seems packs such as Resonant Rise and the like with over 170 mods seems to work nicely and there new and relatively smaller than FTB but seem to have accomplished more in less time...Seems there more concerned about actually getting the packs out for people instead of making things look pretty.....

Funny enough the 1.6.4 mod pack i run on my server with 175 mods on it actually runs better and more efficient than any FTB pack to date :p
yeah... um, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.