Why isn't Monster getting attention?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think so. What mods is it missing that you cant add yourself?

the point isn't adding yourself, since its 10x easier to remove rather than add.

remove in single-player:
in the launcher click remove
done
remove in a server
delete it from the mods folder, clients joining with it won't be able to use them
done

add in single player
download the mod
add it to the mods folder
fix id problems
repeat every time the pack updates
play only single player since in servers it won't work
done
add in servers:
download the mod
add it to the mods folder
fix configs
provide the mod to everybody that wants to join
tell them how to install it
provide configs
tell them how to install
repeat every time the modpack updates
done

in any case, its missing mods.

Reactions: AlanEsh and RedBoss

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
So as you've added more and more to TE, this never occurred to you at all? ;)

No, it really hadn't. I've actually approached it as working alongside other mods, as I certainly wouldn't want TE to be the *only* mod, that'd be boring as hell.

At the same time, there's a middle ground. I stand by saying that too many mods is a bad thing. "Too many" is entirely subjective, of course. Generally, the cross-mod issues that crop up tend to outweigh the benefits after a point.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
At the same time, there's a middle ground. I stand by saying that too many mods is a bad thing. "Too many" is entirely subjective, of course. Generally, the cross-mod issues that crop up tend to outweigh the benefits after a point.

This is definitely true. And you have to pick and choose what mods, ores, and progressions make sense to preserve and what are allowed to erode.

I could solve a lot more of them if more modders followed CrazyPants example and made all their devices easy to configure with complete recipe lists. I really wish you'd do this with the compression and reactant dynamos. No one I've talked to is sure exactly how to add fuels to them short of brute reflection. But I wish I could just do it for everyone in the configs, since ultimately it is an integration issue and I've taken on the burden of integration.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
This is definitely true. And you have to pick and choose what mods, ores, and progressions make sense to preserve and what are allowed to erode.

I could solve a lot more of them if more modders followed CrazyPants example and made all their devices easy to configure with complete recipe lists. I really wish you'd do this with the compression and reactant dynamos. No one I've talked to is sure exactly how to add fuels to them short of brute reflection. But I wish I could just do it for everyone in the configs, since ultimately it is an integration issue and I've taken on the burden of integration.

Uh...what?

ThermalExpansion-Fuels.cfg.

Add new lines. Only has to be done server-side. Modders also have IMC calls they can make.

Reactions: Pokefenn

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Uh...what?

ThermalExpansion-Fuels.cfg.

Add new lines. Only has to be done server-side. Modders also have IMC calls they can make.

I did not see this, and that is awesome. Thank you, and I'm sorry I didn't see it earlier.

I'll have magical and dartcraft integration sorted shortly. :)

WayOfTime was looking for the IMC calls.

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
@Vauthil, Thanks for putting into words the troubles I was having understanding RotaryCraft.

You hit many things, but the biggest reason I can't figure out where to go with it: No gated progression, only material income/stockpile and player knowledge progression.

I can, at least, understand how that progression style is valuable to a player who already knows everything (or anything) about the mod; it's just not beginner friendly.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
No, it really hadn't. I've actually approached it as working alongside other mods, as I certainly wouldn't want TE to be the *only* mod, that'd be boring as hell.

Not that I don't consider Monster quite large. I do have a pack in my possession that is almost twice it's size. Though I would never release such a thing...

Maybe...

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Not that I don't consider Monster quite large. I do have a pack in my possession that is almost twice it's size. Though I would never release such a thing...

Maybe...

If it's well configured and isn't a buggy pile, you should do it. It can only make the ecosystem better.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
It's a lot of stuff that needs empirical testing. I'm sure somebody's done it all and there are people on this forum that I know love the heck out of that stuff, but it isn't plastered all over for a "general rule of thumb".

ohhhhh this this this this this, daunting hell yeah, trying to get my head around rads, power, speed, torque .. what ... wtf I thought I was at engineering school not playing MC :p

Also there's a ton of mod spotlights on youtube for RotaryCraft but very little in tutorials explaining how the heck stuff is supposed to work. After a week I'm only just getting my head around it, but the satisfaction is IMMENSE!!!

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
If it's well configured and isn't a buggy pile, you should do it. It can only make the ecosystem better.

Even if I did, it would have to be a private pack. Which means perms. Idk. I only use it to test IMC and exploits.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Even if I did, it would have to be a private pack. Which means perms. Idk. I only use it to test IMC and exploits.

Man you're an FTB pack maintainer. I don't want to hear perm complaints from you. ;) You have it SOOO good. We're redoing our perms for a re-release of the pack for Yogscast and man, is this time consuming. I wish we more famous.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Man you're an FTB pack maintainer. I don't want to hear perm complaints from you. ;) You have it SOOO good. We're redoing our perms for a re-release of the pack for Yogscast and man, is this time consuming. I wish we more famous.

Lol. Perms for FTB do not extend to my private endeavors.

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
This permission system needs replacing. I know Forge doesn't currently do such things, but it as a prerequisite, it IS a central point for the entire community. I'd love it if they had a web-based permission clicky-asky-grant/deny with checkboxes next to mods.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Lol. Perms for FTB do not extend to my private endeavors.

Oh yeah... I guess with the organizational changes, adding new packs might be tricky right now. Higher priorities and all.[DOUBLEPOST=1389727044][/DOUBLEPOST]
This permission system needs replacing. I know Forge doesn't currently do such things, but it as a prerequisite, it IS a central point for the entire community. I'd love it if they had a web-based permission clicky-asky-grant/deny with checkboxes next to mods.

It is a bummer that mod makers close-source their code and stop re-distribution. They throw away most of the long term benefits they can get from all their hard work. Usually for bizarre reasons like, "because I don't want people to see my code" or "I am afraid of piracy."

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Getting a pack on the launcher is not hard. Yet a 300+ module pack is just silly large. What would be the point other than to just do it and say you did?
No, I would rather do specialized packs like BnB or jaded's MF and have a single semilarge pack like Monster for those that want it.
I like themed, inclusive packs. Big packs are more for big servers that need to entertain a large player base.