Why isn't Factorization compared to TE or IC2?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
I've always seen TE vs IC2 wars, which are, frankly, stupid. The main reason people compare TE to IC2 is due to Pulverizer/Powered Furnace and Macerator/Eletric Furnace. But Factorization also adds that. So why people never bring that during the flame wars?
I know it has to do quite a bit of game design, since the multi-step ore-tripling mechanic is a different approach to the classic "Ore Multiplying" functionality, and it's quite fun IMO. But why Factorization is "different"?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if your trying to stir things up or if this is a real question.

But the think the main issue is Factorization uses it own power and is slow. Those two basicly means vary few people will stick with it even though it has a 300% ore yeild if you go all the way with it.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
I think you answered your own question. The incentive to use Factorization systems doesn't seem to justify the process required to earn them in the eyes of a not insignificant number of people. Personally, I don't see any "flame wars" taking place over TE vs. IC2. TE takes the IC2 concepts and successfully iterates on them with some innovation and a dash of incentive.[DOUBLEPOST=1375644796][/DOUBLEPOST]
Not sure if your trying to stir things up or if this is a real question.

I'll take "stir things up" for 100, Alex.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Factorization's tech tree takes several stacks of lead to progress to the point you'd be at if you just built a Macerator/Pulverizer. Furthermore, the machines are extraordinarily slow and, in the case of the Mixer, require some extreme automation shenanigans to run for more than a cycle at a time.

If you're on a server and can get them chunkloaded and automated, they're pretty nice as long as you don't have a backlog of quarry output to deal with, but they're not for anyone just starting out or trying to set up a serious ore processing line.

Reactions: TheLoneWolfling

Neoxon

Jul 29, 2019
The only use for factorization really is router and barrel, but the new update with the item transfering system seem cool in direwolf video ;p

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
It's a question.
I've been thinking quite a lot about developing my own mod, and I have my own ore-tripling system involving water bottles, Glowstone dust and a pair of metal-based spells (I consider metal an element), so after quite a few searches and thoughts about other mods, I noticed people barely used what I consider one of the most innovative approaches to the classic ore-multiplying premise. And I wanted to learn from it and see what other people think of FZ's system to take as an example.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
In the age of quarrys and fire and forget mining systems what ever you make will need to be able to handle that. Other wise it will end up much like Factoraztion. I'm not one for mass high speed mining but I would hazard to say most FTB users are the sort of thoughput is king.

What ever it is I hope it is cool and multi block. (smart mulitblock not lag indusing multiblock)

MC needs more big things that look cool.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Add Mekanism to that list GPuzzle. As long as you can get a reliable source of flint (Thermal expansion is the best way I've found) then Mekanism is a really easy way to triple most ores (some gravel ores and lead doesn't triple)

Reactions: RedBoss

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
In the age of quarrys and fire and forget mining systems what ever you make will need to be able to handle that. Other wise it will end up much like Factoraztion.

B does not follow A here.

(Hint: Factorization can handle "quarrys[sic] and fire and forget mining systems")

Add Mekanism to that list GPuzzle. As long as you can get a reliable source of flint (Thermal expansion is the best way I've found) then Mekanism is a really easy way to triple most ores (some gravel ores and lead doesn't triple)

Funny enough, factorization is the best and easiest source of flint.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, now that I think of it, there would be an automated version which yelds twice, and the hand-made version yelds thrice. So hand mining would be recompensated, but players can let it run in an automated fashion (that is, until they are able to summon spirits - another thing added by the mod, I should make a thread about the mod later) for less yeld.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
B does not follow A here.

(Hint: Factorization can handle "quarrys[sic] and fire and forget mining systems").

Factorization is not easy to automate for high through put. But I am not saying it can't handle it. What I am saying the GPuzzle is working on a system and should keep that in mind that many people want a system that can handle that sort of throughput with out having to go to crazy build lengths to make it happen.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I just don't see the need for Factorization at all.

Why bother with Routers when I have Applied Energistics? Why bother with Barrels when I have DSU's? Honestly, there is zero use for Factorization.

Mekanism curbstomps Factorization as far as ore-tripling. For that matter, either IC2 or TE both are massively better at ore processing in general, due to ease of automation and rate of processing.

I do not see Factorization's ore processing as 'fun'. Sitting around and waiting twenty minutes is not 'fun'. It's not even !!FUN!! either. It's just boring.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, now that I think of it, there would be an automated version which yelds twice, and the hand-made version yelds thrice. So hand mining would be recompensated, but players can let it run in an automated fashion (that is, until they are able to summon spirits - another thing added by the mod, I should make a thread about the mod later) for less yeld.

On the topic of mod development, I have this idea for a mod focused around lasers. The only things I have thought of is power and ore processing. For power you would be able to hook up some IC2 wires or some conduits/redstone pipes to a Laser Generator, but if you didn't have any other mods using fuel would work as well. The Laser Generator hooks up to an energy storage block, and hooks up to lasers (similar to BC lasers). The lasers shoot at an Ore Zapping thing. The amount of ore ash made is determined by the amount of lasers hooked up. It can vary from 1-4 ash, which is put into an Ash Compressor making ingots at a 1:1 ratio.

On the OP: I have never used factorization for anything besides barrels, and I don't plan on it either.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Why bother with Routers when I have Applied Energistics? Why bother with Barrels when I have DSU's? Honestly, there is zero use for Factorization.

Barrels just need wood... just wood. So that right there makes them useful while your gearing up for DSUs. Routers can pass items with no cables needed which makes for compact builds where AE might not fit.

Agreeded DSUs and AE can do much better in the long run but that does not make the others useless.

sir_schwick

Jul 29, 2019
Factorization is a bit finicky for throughput based packs. However it fits in with the more vanilla(by hand) style modpacks. I personally like its take on solar boilers. Also the ceramics sculpting and firing system is very unique for decorators. It is the equivalent of making wood crafted dishes and urns in an age of molded plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.