Why don't people like IC2 anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Ok ok sorry I mentioned politics.

I should have just left that out to just mention minetweaker. It seemed this thread was mostly people complaining athat ic2 had become too much like gregtech, they didnt like the hammers, Jaded talked about how hard it was to craft a basic machine. Obviously IC2 is still very popular, this thread is HUGE. I just wanted to pass along an idea for people who didnt like the changes. Should have left the politics comment out.
Yeah, IC2 is still pretty popular, there are a lot of die-hard fans still supporting it and hoping it'll get a revamp, like me.

Reactions: zorn

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I did make my own pack, it just seems silly not to have a gregtech pack here. Its just the lack of logic that gets me. Why would it be locked? No one is being rude here? I guess the politicking thing isnt fair. i cant think of any other reason though.

What logic is missing? We have explained the reasons on numerous posts. The reasons have not changed, and the logic stands just fine.

Step 1: GregTech is a conversion mod that best suits a pack based around IC2
Step 2: We have no packs based around IC2 as the foundation tech mod
Conclusion: Greg Tech does not fit the current packs

Step 1: Many mod developers have stated they will not deal with cross mod interactions caused by GT
Step 2: Our tech support team cannot trouble shoot cross mod issues on their own
Conclusion: GregTech is something we cannot offer tech support for and cannot therefore be used as the foundation of a pack.

Step 1: GT needs to be in a pack that does not currently exist. A pack based around IC2
Step 2: GT adds a large tech support overhead
Step 3: There are other mods out there that work better with cross mod situations and require less tech support
Conclusion: The modpack team would be creating more work for themselves to create a new pack just for GT. We did that in 1.5 and it was not a success. We would rather focus our energy on the packs we have and leave GT to third parties who have the passion and inspiration to do GT justice.

Ok ok sorry I mentioned politics.
I should have just left that out to just mention minetweaker. It seemed this thread was mostly people complaining athat ic2 had become too much like gregtech, they didnt like the hammers, Jaded talked about how hard it was to craft a basic machine. Obviously IC2 is still very popular, this thread is HUGE. I just wanted to pass along an idea for people who didnt like the changes. Should have left the politics comment out.

I said that as a player I dislike the fiddly bits. As a mod pack creator I use quite a few mods I don't personally care for. The only pack that doesn't have any mods I dislike is Magic Farm and many mods I like got left out as being out of place. Otherwise if its a good mod and a good fit for a pack my preferences as a player have little to do with the mod pack choices. I don't build the other packs for me, so my preferences aren't important on a game mechanic level. If they were, Tech World and FTB Lite would be a lot different :p

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
The mods worked together and it felt like a balanced game and not like there was too many choices. That same design is still in place in Magic Farm and Horizons and Lite 2.

Does Horizons really fit that? To me Horizons felt like a random mish-mash of mods and I thought that was it's charm.

Reactions: RedBoss

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Does Horizons really fit that? To me Horizons felt like a random mish-mash of mods and I thought that was it's charm.

I suppose thats up to personal opinion. I know Eyamaz has put a lot of effort into cross mod compatibility. Its not as tweaked as MF or Ultimate, but it has the same basic idea of adding cross mod functionality. For me Monster is the mishmash pack.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
IC2s been in the limelight since practically forever as one of 'the' tech mods to play. Given how hot topics like this are its still a popular mod and won't die completely.

But if you combine a lot of whining about the mod stagnating, THEN a lot of whining about a controversial add-on and experimental redevelopment
...the community is a little unsettled at the moment- we could do without another thread of tedium Vs difficulty.

Chances are there'll be a dedicated 'traditional tech' modpack soon. The idea would garner enough support when things settle down again.
(until then build your own game [solitarycraft on the ATlaucher seems a good shot], or try an unofficial/private pack)

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I don't find Monster's mish-mash charming though, I find it off-putting. Whereas Horizons feels purposefully random to me.

The charming part is where Eyamaz tweaked it under the hood.

Monster Horizons and MF are 3 very different examples of ways to put mods together

1. Monster: ID's work... not much else is changed
2. Horizons: Make mods coexist together and play nicely but don't interfere too much with mod functionality
3. Magic Farm: Change everything about the mods... on second thought change the game mechanics too and make all the mods feel like 1 giant mod that just happens to have a lot of files.

Its why I laugh when people say "all the packs are being forced into balance" ... um nope.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
I only kept reading that it was because TiC would not allow it to be used in a pack with GT, this is what shneeky said above, and I didnt remember reading that it was 'many' mod authors in slow's post. Ill re-read it, I guess I missed that. Im curious, did he say what mod devs stated this? Where can I read about this? Going by the 'TiC vs greg' idea that is the only answer I kept hearing, this made no sense. If many mod devs have said they would not support any issues with GT, then that is different.

TiC has several mod authors so there's that. I was surprised GT largely got dropped from the majority of packs rather than TiC. There are lots of good tool mods. Not so many deep tech mods. A much more valid reason to give for not using either IC2-Experimental or its addons is that the new energy net is very much not done.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
TiC has several mod authors so there's that. I was surprised GT largely got dropped from the majority of packs rather than TiC. There are lots of good tool mods. Not so many deep tech mods. A much more valid reason to give for not using either IC2-Experimental or its addons is that the new energy net is very much not done.

Each mod dev/mod team only counts as 1 author. And no TiCon is not the reason GT is not in 1.6 packs.
TiCon is only in 5 out of 8 packs.

Now since the dead horse has been beaten enough, and we have covered the reasons. Back on topic. The topic is IC2 not IC2 addons.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
yes I really didnt even want this conversation to go this way sorry. I just wanted to provide minetweaker as a solution for the people who dislike the new playstyle. if you like the old ic2, minetweaker should provide what you are looking for. Plus the nice new textures, some new content with ore washing, etc. and for right now, no exploding cables! (I think?)

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I don't dislike IC2, I've just done it enough times that I don't value the effort to reward ratio. There are at least a handful of suitable replacements for IC2 that are either less tedious or are new enough (to me) that they are interesting.

Sometimes it strikes me a bit like TC4. The first couple times its kinda interesting. After a few repeats though I just want to move on to something else.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Sometimes it strikes me a bit like TC4. The first couple times its kinda interesting. After a few repeats though I just want to move on to something else.
That statement caused a weird series of analogies to fly through my head.

A large part of the problem with IC2exp is analogous to the XP-Vista/Win7 switch problem Microsoft encountered. When Vista came around, people did not want to switch over because most people react to new things in the same way; immediate unreasonable dislike as they instinctively dislike change, even if the changes were for the better (I am not saying the changes in either case were for the better, merely remarking on societal psychology). To expand on this analogy, Thaumcraft is very similar to iOS. The period between 1.2.5 and 1.6.6 is similar to the period where XP was dominant. While XP (and IC2) remained relatively unchanged, iOS (and TC) underwent major transformations and upgrades.

Somewhat curious if anyone gets that. I accidentally had too many energy drinks and am REALLY wired right now.

Now that IC2 is trying to change, it is merely adding content instead of reinventing itself, making it feel somewhat bloated and out of date.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Don't drink those things, they'll kill you.
Not sure if you are joking or being serious. Either way:
  1. I normally don't as regularly putting stimulants in your body is a very bad idea, and I only did in this case as I barely slept last night
  2. I didn't come here to have people tell me things about health that I already know, I came here to talk about IC2

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
I think ic2 has slowly been set aside for mods like TE and others in the rf ecosystem. This is, in my opinion, because the rf mods are new and fresh. Big reactors is a fantastic and very popular mod. Ender io also very popular. Engineer toolbox enhanced portals. The list goes on and on

Jul 29, 2019
To me, IC2 and Thermal Expansion are workhorse mods at this point. By that I mean I don't expect them to wow me with new mechanics (although that sometimes happens with the new additions, especially for thermal expansion), but they are just the default things I get started with when I'm making a new world and setting up my first automation systems.
So basically, for me, IC2 has been just an extension of the core part of Minecraft. Something I expect to be there and a mechanic I can rely on being present. I also like it as so many other mods use its energy system. IC2, Buildcraft, and now Thermal Expansion are just part of Minecraft to me. So I think all of this "it's outdated and should be removed" business makes no sense.
Of course, sometimes mods do get outdated / not updated / replaced even after reaching this level (I'm looking at you RedPower), so I'm not saying it has to be in there forever. But as long as it keeps doing what I need it to do and I haven't hit the limit for how many mods Minecraft & Forge can handle, there's no reason not to keep it.

Reactions: Kyll.Ing. and zorn
Status
Not open for further replies.