Why don't people like IC2 anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I was rather a fan of the mention of fuses. Make grades of fuse based on voltage tiers, screw up your power, the fuse blows instead of the machine, assuming you've installed one.

So if you blow an HV fuse, maybe you lose a few diamonds and have to replace it.

It's a good balance between a punishment mechanic and the reality that people don't like to leave large craters in their base.

Would there be a functional difference between making fuses, and making cables blow before machines (if they don't do that already)? Cables just vaporize, without affecting other blocks, which sounds a lot like a fuse.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Would there be a functional difference between making fuses, and making cables blow before machines (if they don't do that already)? Cables just vaporize, without affecting other blocks, which sounds a lot like a fuse.
I guess the purpose of the fuse would be the following:
You have a power net with 512 EU cables. You forgot the exact number of EU in your system but it is certainly below 512 and above lets say 32 as your cables are safe. Now you want to add a simple machine like the Electric Furnace but instead of plugging it directly into the net you make a 32 EU Fuse and place it between the furnace and the net. As soon as the furnace requests energy the fuse would "burn" but your furnace would still be save. Alternatively a fuse could be made an item which is placed inside a machine and without one he machine ceases to function.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
You have a power net with 512 EU cables. You forgot the exact number of EU in your system but it is certainly below 512 and above lets say 32 as your cables are safe. Now you want to add a simple machine like the Electric Furnace but instead of plugging it directly into the net you make a 32 EU Fuse and place it between the furnace and the net. As soon as the furnace requests energy the fuse would "burn" but your furnace would still be save. Alternatively a fuse could be made an item which is placed inside a machine and without one he machine ceases to function.
Right. I'm proposing that is identical to what a copper (IC2 classic)/tin (IC2_exp) cable does.

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019

I love idea. Firstly you build tweezers. Then drill machine to create a hole in diamond which you can place only with tweezers, hammer and cutters that have no damage on them. Then you need to build a special fuse assembly machine that uses iridium for fuse element. Then you need to build a machine to assemble special socket that can be attached to cable in another cable assembly machine requiring for operation 3 power supplies 32, 512 and 4096 EU. The most important that information which side requires which EU is top secret.

Last edited:

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Right. I'm proposing that is identical to what a copper (IC2 classic)/tin (IC2_exp) cable does.
I know and i haven't said that the fuse wouldn't replicate this. It's also not my idea but i like it. Especially the item upgrade idea, basic machines should not reqire one but ofc will blow up if connected to wrong "voltages". It would allow for compact builds and a good balance between punishment and reward for the player.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019

I'm not 100% certain, but I think I remember that cables of different voltages don't connect directly to each other. And they have other variables (like packet loss) that dictates whether they are completely suitable for use irrespective of the voltage they carry.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not 100% certain, but I think I remember that cables of different voltages don't connect directly to each other. And they have other variables (like packet loss) that dictates whether they are completely suitable for use irrespective of the voltage they carry.
All cables do connect to each other unless painted. Although i am not sure on how power loss and other stuff is treated on those connections.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I was rather a fan of the mention of fuses. Make grades of fuse based on voltage tiers, screw up your power, the fuse blows instead of the machine, assuming you've installed one.

So if you blow an HV fuse, maybe you lose a few diamonds and have to replace it.

It's a good balance between a punishment mechanic and the reality that people don't like to leave large craters in their base.

Fuses could make for a good add on. If I were writing it and didn't have a lot of time to put into it, machines wouldn't accept power by default until you placed the appropriate tier wire in an upgrade slot. Then if too much power for that wire comes to the machine, the wire(fuse) in the upgrade slot disappears and the machine ceases accepting power until it is replaced. I've blown up a few machine just placing them next to wrong tier wire lines that were hidden by cf foam, so this would be better than the entire cable run getting destroyed and simpler to implement then adding a bunch of new recipes and items.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019

The mayor difference would be a clear communication that said mechanic exists and that its possible. Currently its a hidden wiki mechanic.

Reactions: PierceSG

portablejim

Jul 29, 2019
In the IC2 classic (can't speak for IC2_exp) I used glass fiber cable on everything I could afford to because of the reduction in energy loss. Then the cable would not act like a fuse.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
Some mods give you the tools you need to collect & process resources & get out of your way. Some mods add hot new toys to play with. Some mods, including IC2, make working your way up the tech tree the goal of the mod, which for me gets in the way of doing other things. I have had a dislike for IC2 ever since the 1st time I broke a machine that took over an hour to build because I forgot I had to use a special wrench to move it (blowing up a row of machines because I missed an upgrade in 1 while upgrading the power supply is also a big turn-off). When the Advanced Electric Jetpack & the mining laser were the hot new toys, I put up with it. With the mod that added the advanced jetpack MIA from the new mod packs & other mods offering a flight mechanic, I'm down to an extractor for rubber, a recycler (scrap boxes are like xmas!) & a power supply, & I cheated in the power supply. Every time I look at the new IC2 recipes I get the urge to cheat it in or do without.

If your goal is to create a massive pixel art statue in survival, you want a pen of sheep & an MFR rancher. If your goal is to create a large, complicated rube goldberg device to autofarm sheep, you can do that with vanilla mechanics. I play modded because I don't want to have to make a big project in order to gather the resources I need for another big project.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
The mayor difference would be a clear communication that said mechanic exists and that its possible. Currently its a hidden wiki mechanic.
It's hardly hidden that wire will burn up if you put too much voltage/power through it.
You can't know whether it will burn up before the machine it's attached to though. I haven't tried it. (If it doesn't, it definitely should to allow this use)

In the IC2 classic (can't speak for IC2_exp) I used glass fiber cable on everything I could afford to because of the reduction in energy loss. Then the cable would not act like a fuse.
You could easily afford the energy loss. The highest energy loss in IC2 classic is less than 1% per block, and you only need one block.

Also, why is it that every time there's a tradeoff between X and Y in a mod, someone invariably complains they can't do X and Y at the same time?

Siigari

Aug 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
To be fair (and play devil's advocate, as I'm not an enormous fan of IC2 direction myself)

If you blow up a machine because you forgot what voltage you were sending to it or forgot a transformer upgrade, you learned "the hard way" but you learned it. Next time you do it, your reaction should be a facepalm in realization that you messed up -- reason most likely being you were in a hurry.

I never had a problem losing ENTIRE CHAINS of recyclers/macerators/etc because I threw everything on a HV line and forgot a couple transformers. I've done it, you've probably done it. We've all done it. Barrier to entry. Once you've figured out why it happens it doesn't happen again unless you are in a hurry.

I dunno. I think that's the least of IC2's issues, honestly.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Ironically, the first time I blew anything up IC2 related was because I had no idea how to use buildcraft engines properly and one of them exploded near my IC2 machines while I was off mining. Then later on I found out buildcraft pipes try to explode but couldn't, so they just kept trying if you happened to be feeding a loop of pipes over a bunch of recyclers in a never-ending orgy of explosions. It was gloriously bad for fps.

Watching thermal generators (gregtech) catch fire in the rain was hilarious.

I'm pretty sure the only time I ever blew up something ic2-related was with gregtech's centrifuge and industrial blast furnace. They kept complaining about low power so I'm like, fuck it, here's all the power. Boom.

Status
Not open for further replies.