Why don't people like IC2 anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Imagine if IC2 improved the power system and crafting recipes and any other key flaws you care to mention. What have you got left? An unexciting, not very fun mod with no features that might pull me away from the alternatives (TE isn't one, but there are many good ones out there).

Alcheya

Jul 29, 2019
Imagine if IC2 improved the power system and crafting recipes and any other key flaws you care to mention. What have you got left? An unexciting, not very fun mod with no features that might pull me away from the alternatives (TE isn't one, but there are many good ones out there).

lol.. For me, it has become just that.. an unexciting, not very fun or forgiving tedious mod, with the only thing keeping me from tossing it being the speed of the machines at end-game and maybe solar panels so I can generate power from thin air.

I'm not the modmaker, so I can't say what would be suitable replacements for the "flaws" [features]. I'm giving a pretty predominant opinion about the whole direction IC, and even Buildcraft, have gone. IC will always hold a special place in the hearts of modded minecraft community, but I think beyond that, it's really losing the essence of what it used to be. A generator and macerator from IC were the first blocks I ever created fresh out of vanilla minecraft. IC was used as a way to automate things. That was the real draw of it. Making it more tedious, cumbersome, and unforgiving to do the main function of what it was used for eventually defeats the purpose.. and yes.. other mods who are obviously paying attention to what the community wants will do better.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Aye, but content takes time. Granted, the kinds of fixes about which we're talking would take time, too, all things do, but they'd likely take less time. It'd make for a better playing experience while we waited for the really good stuff to come along and wow us. A big, good thing is almost always made up of smaller good things; making IC great again will have to come in steps, but it can be done, and some things would provide more immediate benefit to the players than others.

Reactions: Mevansuto

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Aye, but content takes time. Granted, the kinds of fixes about which we're talking would take time, too, all things do, but they'd likely take less time. It'd make for a better playing experience while we waited for the really good stuff to come along and wow us. A big, good thing is almost always made up of smaller good things; making IC great again will have to come in steps, but it can be done, and some things would provide more immediate benefit to the players than others.

Is it so bad to want* these small steps now?

*Want, not expect.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
From a gameplay perspective, would those fuses be placed into the machine during the crafting? With IC2's current development choices I think it would be right up their alley to add another crafting thinggy :).
I'd prefer to see them as either: an item you attach to a cable (or in place of a cable, but that raises the question of transfer rates etc) or as something placed inside a Fuse Box block that you run your cables through; possibly both, as early-game and late-game options respectively.

I see such a thing as part of the energy net rather than part of the machine, although both can be true in real life.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
From a gameplay perspective, would those fuses be placed into the machine during the crafting? With IC2's current development choices I think it would be right up their alley to add another crafting thinggy :).
Easiest way to implement (I think, no experience in coding) would be like making the fuse a wire-like item, where you lay it in between the wires and the machine(s), different tiers of them with different maximum EU allowed. So as EU attempts to go through it, it will either like it flow or that one piece will blow it's fuse so those machines down the line will be safe?

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Padfoote

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Easiest way to implement (I think, no experience in coding) would be like making the fuse a wire-like item, where you lay it in between the wires and the machine(s), different tiers of them with different maximum EU allowed. So as EU attempts to go through it, it will either like it flow or that one piece will blow it's fuse so those machines down the line will be safe?

I think the better way to do it is to set it only to blow if the machine is going to blow, although I appreciate this takes some clever coding. The wires will already destroy themselves if more power goes through them than they're rated for, which defeats the purpose of the fuse if that's how it works.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
You know, after a rather healthy debate with Immibis in the chat room, I'm seriously tempted to write an addon for IC2. It will likely be the least popular addon in existence, but hey... it will help me work on my modding skills.

I think I'll call it "ThermalDustrial ExpansionCraft".

In brief, many of the problems I have with IC2 isn't necessarily with the power grid, as he demonstrated to me, but with how the machines work WITH that power grid. However, this would make significant changes to how IC2 works, and I doubt the API would permit me to make some of these changes, but here's what I'd do in an ideal world:

• Machines do not explode when fed incorrect voltages. Instead, they simply will not connect to a power cable with incorrect voltage (LV machines will not connect to gold cable unless they have a transformer upgrade, etc...).
  • Machines will no longer 'stutter' on low energy. Instead, they will self-throttle and process slower, using less EU/t, and will not start processing until it has enough EU in its internal buffer to process the item currently inside it.
  • Add in tabs into the machine GUI which will tell it how to handle redstone signal interaction, a display on how much EU/t it can handle at maximum capacity and how much it is currently pulling, and a sided configuration tab.
  • Energy storage devices also get tabs indicating how they interact with redstone, maximum input or output, maximum output is per side, and configurable as to which side is input or output or simply does not do energy.
  • Plate Former is removed, hammers and snips do not have durability
In effect, importing many of the things I find valuable about TE3 and importing them into an IC2 environment.

I'm sure no one would use it because anyone who enjoys IC2 would consider it 'horribly OP', and those who enjoy TE3 would just play TE3, but it would be a curious 'thought exercise' to play around with modding.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Why would you remove the Metal Former? You could leave it in for those who want to automate the production of parts.( And don't tell me one can use AE as not everyone uses it!)
There's plenty of ways to automate crafting. Heck, and Automated Crafting Table from BC will do the trick.

There just apparently won't be a point to the Metal Former without a durability on the tools, or so I have been told. However, if it is still a desired item, then I can go ahead and include it.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Why would you remove the Metal Former? You could leave it in for those who want to automate the production of parts.( And don't tell me one can use AE as not everyone uses it!)
Any sort of automatic crafting is better with hammers/wire cutters. Seriously. And if you're not using automatic crafting....uh...it's not automated.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
There's plenty of ways to automate crafting. Heck, and Automated Crafting Table from BC will do the trick.

There just apparently won't be a point to the Metal Former without a durability on the tools, or so I have been told. However, if it is still a desired item, then I can go ahead and include it.
Any sort of automatic crafting is better with hammers/wire cutters. Seriously. And if you're not using automatic crafting....uh...it's not automated.
Hence why i said automated production. Using pipes to transfer ingredients to the machine and to pump them out of it is also automation and doesn't involve any other tool.
Ofc you could replace the Metal Former with an advanced machine like @DrowElf said. Make it so that it increases the production of the parts (i.e. more plates per ingot etc, a machine can make more out of resources than a human can normally) and you are settled.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
What about this? You need the hammer and wire cutter (no durability loss) to make the items needed to craft a metal former as well as the starter energy production blocks, then the metal former will require said hammer and wire cutter in it's recipe. Kind of how MFR's blocks requires tools in it's receipes to craft. :)

You are still able to craft an extra set of said tools if you want to, like say, use it in the AE for easier automation, compared to linking a bus from AE to the metal former?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
What about this? You need the hammer and wire cutter (no durability loss) to make the items needed to craft a metal former as well as the starter energy production blocks, then the metal former will require said hammer and wire cutter in it's recipe. Kind of how MFR's blocks requires tools in it's receipes to craft. :)

You are still able to craft an extra set of said tools if you want to, like say, use it in the AE for easier automation, compared to linking a bus from AE to the metal former?

That... actually makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
In effect, importing many of the things I find valuable about TE3 and importing them into an IC2 environment.

I'm sure no one would use it because anyone who enjoys IC2 would consider it 'horribly OP', and those who enjoy TE3 would just play TE3, but it would be a curious 'thought exercise' to play around with modding.
Glad you added this, I was about to snark on the theme that KL had already written TE ;)

Reactions: RedBoss
Status
Not open for further replies.