Why do you like hardmode/grindy minecraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

andysim

Jul 29, 2019
I find I sometimes plan my own "end game" if the mod pack does not have any advanced hard to create end game stuff. For example I'm a ways into Crash Landing now and I won't consider the game Finnished until A: the ship is totally repaired complete with a launch pad type area (I know it can't fly lol) , and B: I've repopulated the city with villagers and removed all the bad things. I probably won't get that far as once the questing is done it's done. But the idea keeps me playing =)

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Weeeeeeellllll.... I like GregTech, to an extent. What do I mean by this? Well, I grew accustomed to GT in MC version 1.4, when it was still at a point where it wasn't easy to reach end game, but it wasn't stupid either. I didn't replay gregtech until a few months ago. And since I started I have had to minetweaker a LOT of recipes to make my mod pack playable with GT.
Lets start with vanilla... WHO THE HELL THOUGHT CHANGING VANILLA IS A GOOD IDEA! I will end my argument there for that part of Gregtech :p
The Bronze age, yeah, lets skip that. A waste of time if you ask me.
Then I don't really mind too much. I still use Mekanism Circuits (which I oreDict.'d to work as IC2 circuits) because GTs recipe for IC2 circuits is a little stupid. But other than that I enjoy all the machinery added, and what you can do with it. But it's just a PITA to start with nowadays, before you could jump straight into it once you had been mining for a little while.

Hunger Overhaul. I love this mod, only with Pam's HarvestCraft installed, as it makes food more important again. Remember when hunger was added in beta 1.8, you were constantly checking you had enough food. Well now you have to do that again, because hunger is too easy in vanilla :p

RotaryCraft. SKIP! Next! I don't like this mod, just because it is ridiculous. Stuff keeps exploding, and it is pretty annoying :p

Lycanite Mobs, I just hate because they screw you over early game. If you join a server with it, and it is night time, expect to die.. A LOT

Infernal Mobs, I am on the fence about. I like it in the nether, as it makes the nether hard. But it makes it a little too hard. If you are playing with just vanilla... all I can say is good luck :p

Thaumic Tinkerer. I love this. It is worth the grind. You need a lot of time and patience, but being invincible is worth it.

I can't think of other "grindy" or "hard" mods, but those are the main ones I have opinions on :p

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Weeeeeeellllll.... I like GregTech, to an extent. What do I mean by this? Well, I grew accustomed to GT in MC version 1.4, when it was still at a point where it wasn't easy to reach end game, but it wasn't stupid either. I didn't replay gregtech until a few months ago. And since I started I have had to minetweaker a LOT of recipes to make my mod pack playable with GT.
Lets start with vanilla... WHO THE HELL THOUGHT CHANGING VANILLA IS A GOOD IDEA! I will end my argument there for that part of Gregtech :p
The Bronze age, yeah, lets skip that. A waste of time if you ask me.
Then I don't really mind too much. I still use Mekanism Circuits (which I oreDict.'d to work as IC2 circuits) because GTs recipe for IC2 circuits is a little stupid. But other than that I enjoy all the machinery added, and what you can do with it. But it's just a PITA to start with nowadays, before you could jump straight into it once you had been mining for a little while.

Hunger Overhaul. I love this mod, only with Pam's HarvestCraft installed, as it makes food more important again. Remember when hunger was added in beta 1.8, you were constantly checking you had enough food. Well now you have to do that again, because hunger is too easy in vanilla :p

RotaryCraft. SKIP! Next! I don't like this mod, just because it is ridiculous. Stuff keeps exploding, and it is pretty annoying :p

Lycanite Mobs, I just hate because they screw you over early game. If you join a server with it, and it is night time, expect to die.. A LOT

Infernal Mobs, I am on the fence about. I like it in the nether, as it makes the nether hard. But it makes it a little too hard. If you are playing with just vanilla... all I can say is good luck :p

Thaumic Tinkerer. I love this. It is worth the grind. You need a lot of time and patience, but being invincible is worth it.

I can't think of other "grindy" or "hard" mods, but those are the main ones I have opinions on :p
I've only had one RoC piece explode on me. And that was a Performance engine I forgot to feed water. If you're having a lot of things exploding in RoC, you're either just not paying attention. Or you never bothered to read how things work. The main hard/gindy thing I see in RoC these days is the scale of some of the farms you need to make for Lubricant and Jet Fuel. Ethanol's not bad.

Lycanite Mobs... I did jump on a server with this, at night. It was as painful as you suggest. They also had Gregtech. So I got to discover the wonders of how I was not allowed to make shears and a bucket yet.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I've only had one RoC piece explode on me. And that was a Performance engine I forgot to feed water. If you're having a lot of things exploding in RoC, you're either just not paying attention. Or you never bothered to read how things work. The main hard/gindy thing I see in RoC these days is the scale of some of the farms you need to make for Lubricant and Jet Fuel. Ethanol's not bad.
What was it that kept exploding on me... Oh yeah, the heat generator thingy. I found a really cheaty work around using a dispenser, bucket (of lava), and a redstone clock. But it just heated to way too quickly. Then there is the fact HSLA steel is a little annoying to get. I mean, if I have mods that use use steel, I would much rather use that, but NOOOOOOOOOOOO... I really do hate mods like that :p

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
What was it that kept exploding on me... Oh yeah, the heat generator thingy. I found a really cheaty work around using a dispenser, bucket (of lava), and a redstone clock. But it just heated to way too quickly. Then there is the fact HSLA steel is a little annoying to get. I mean, if I have mods that use use steel, I would much rather use that, but NOOOOOOOOOOOO... I really do hate mods like that :p
Heat generator? o_O Isn't that mekanism? And if you found a 'cheaty' work around, and it blows up. I think the problem is in your work around, not the generator.
And HSLA steel is the easiest steel in the modded community to accumulate. All you need is one (unpowered) block, put lava under it (it never gets consumed). And put in gunpowerder, coal, and sand. Put in iron in multiples of 9 (fill all the slots) and BAM. HSLA steel. Hell, reika even gives you BONUS ingots, very rarely, but sometimes, giving you back 2x the steel as iron you put in. And the additives don't always get consumed (I think the gunpowder never does, but I may just have not noticed it.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Rotary craft steel is the easiest thing ever to obtain. And you can convert other mods steel to HSLA with one of the machines. And why use lava for the steam engine? Lit nether rack is enough to keep it heated without it blowing up.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Rotary craft steel is the easiest thing ever to obtain. And you can convert other mods steel to HSLA with one of the machines. And why use lava for the steam engine? Lit nether rack is enough to keep it heated without it blowing up.
Oh that. Not actually heat generator. I didn't even consider the steam engine, because 'derp' netherrack. In some cases I go even further and use the netherack to make ignitors so I can turn the engines off/on.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Heat generator? o_O Isn't that mekanism? And if you found a 'cheaty' work around, and it blows up. I think the problem is in your work around, not the generator.
And HSLA steel is the easiest steel in the modded community to accumulate. All you need is one (unpowered) block, put lava under it (it never gets consumed). And put in gunpowerder, coal, and sand. Put in iron in multiples of 9 (fill all the slots) and BAM. HSLA steel. Hell, reika even gives you BONUS ingots, very rarely, but sometimes, giving you back 2x the steel as iron you put in. And the additives don't always get consumed (I think the gunpowder never does, but I may just have not noticed it.
*coughs* I prefer to play on peaceful *coughs* Gunpowder is kinda hard to come by....

And yeah, steam generators, I dunno what they are called. I never really got into rotarycraft... It didn't make much sense as a mod to me :p

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you can make gunpowder if you've got saltpepper (think that's railcraft) or whatever it's called, and sulfur. Also I haven't played peaceful (except for testing) in ages. Though my bases are usually spawn free thanks to Magnum torches. :D

To be fair. RoC and it's companion mods are a mostly different way of thinking when it comes to its power generation, transmission, and gearing. (I'm actually coming to really like gearing... once I've got enough diamonds or bedrock >_>)

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Sulfur is sorta hard to come by is it not?
I don't enjoy mining much, so what I do is mine for an hour, and depending on how lucky I am depends on how I automate... If I get 11 diamonds, half a stack of gold and a stack of iron, I will straight away make a quarry. If I don't get diamonds, then mining wells. Any way I can get around having to manually mine :p

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Well, make you choice man! If you play on peaceful and won't go manual mining... that kills two of the primary, Vanilla, mechanics. Yeah, there's gonna be a bunch of problems to run into.

Edit: also, Extra Utilities peaceful table.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I know :p
On vanilla, a don't mind mining and creepers... what else is there to do?
But when you play with machines, especially ones which require a hell of a lot of effort to make, and Monsieur Creeperson decides he's gonna come and splooge everywhere... I just give up, and quit :p
But when there is that alternative to mining, you sorta don't see the point in doing it yourself. It's like watching TV, you have the buttons on the side of your telly to change the channel, but you have the remote which is so much easier to use to change the channel, so you use that instead.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say a better way to address the creeper blowing your base up problem is [/gamerule mobGriefing false] or there's a config option in... extra utilites? (can't remember exactly but I remember seeing it in my first passthrough the configs for the pack I'm working on) to turn of block damage from only creepers. Or, of course lighting everything up (but I dislike that approach myself).
As for mining, I do manual mining for a WHILE. The boring machine from RoC is very good, though I've not used it yet (I keep resetting my world before I get far enough to sustain decent power output). At this point I do use Mekanism's digi-miner from time to time, once I have a kit for it all put together.

Reactions: Wagon153

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I do enjoy the digital miner :p And I don't like mobGriefing game rule, as I forget about it, and then I will do my usual technique to kill the wither (dig underground, spawn it there, and let it bore its way out while I slash a its tail(?))
But I have seen RoC boring machine, and I thought it was pretty neat, but a little OP seeing as the guy who used it just placed down a few things and BOOM massive mine exposed...

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
My general advice for avoiding creeper (+wither/ghast/dragon) griefing- remember its all controlled by the player.
Just by playing the game its fairly easy to keep creepers away from the expensive stuff (build houses, light it up- prevent them from getting in. If they are in, lure them out).

I'd rather have creepers and ghasts over endermen any day- those black dudes just pick everything apart and you can't do much about it.

But I have seen RoC boring machine, and I thought it was pretty neat, but a little OP seeing as the guy who used it just placed down a few things and BOOM massive mine exposed...

Reika gets flamed about this a LOT. He has the patience of a saint, and then some.
Good luck getting to the point when you can actually run a tunnel bore like that; its a very end-game setup requiring a significant investment in skill and
infrastructure.
Certainly not "OP" compared to other automated resource collectors.

Last edited:

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
Reika gets flamed about this a LOT. He has the patience of a saint, and then some.
Good luck getting to the point when you can actually run a tunnel bore like that; its a very end-game setup requiring a significant investment in skill and
infrastructure.
Certainly not "OP" compared to other automated resource collectors.
If it was OP, everybody would use it.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
I, personally, am adverse to hunger in general. I never like it as a mechanic. I thought it was much more enjoyable to be checking your food constantly because without it you don't regenerate health. That's why I was obsessed with mDiyo Tweaks, because I could revert it back to the old ways. Just my thoughts.
If it's exploding, you're doing it wrong :p

But seriously, it is built very well and balanced well. There's tons of in-game documentation, and it's a really enjoyable experience to build things with it.
Back when I'd play it in my early packs of 1.6.4, I'd use Mob Properties by Father Toast to force them to only spawn later in the game, when the world has been around a while.
You can edit the configs to only make Nether Mobs Infernal.
*cough cough Bound Armour*

Reactions: RedBoss