why do so many people dislike monsterpack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
101 why people don't like it. And the simplest answer is........ Minecraft already bogs down some high grade pc's to the point where you have to pick and choose your mods. Not just throw as many as you can together so you feel like your playing on a Commodore 64.( if you are old enough to know what that is)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Its already alluded to above, but sometimes having too many options is self-defeating. If there are "fast and efficient" ways to accomplish a thing, its less likely I'll get to explore certain mods to their fullest which accomplish something similar but through more time and effort.

when i play, i usually don't have a gun held to my head by a guy who really wants me to build a mfr tree farm fed railcraft boiler. or if he is there, i tell him to go stuff himself, i'm running the base off of darkness this playthrough.

monster has a lot of mods, but with a semi-recent machine running a 64 bit OS it's not really an issue. for reference, i built my pc in 2007 and i run monster at 40+fps.

Reactions: Infallible83

Morberis

Jul 29, 2019
I host a server and we really like the Monster pack. None of us play it as a resource expansion game though. We pick a theme or a set of mods and stick with it. It makes for some very interesting bases because no 2 are alike in the mods they use.

Why would I care if my neighbour has more resources than me? My base is "fun".

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Not everyone I play with has a good pc so I trimmed the fat to make it so everyone could enjoy it. It'd be great to have all the things, but in the end, we may never miss them. I certainly dont miss what I removed. Honestly, I wished I had removed more now.

Rusty Pumpkin

Jul 29, 2019
It's too bloated. I use TPPI and DW20. Tppi is my favorite Modpack of all time, everything is balanced and works together. And dw20 is a great and balanced Modpack with less stuff.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
I like monster simply because it has so many mods that it might just be impossible for me not to be able to play and build things exactly how I want to.
I play minecraft as a sandbox building game and I play modded minecraft as a sandbox building game. The more mods that add quality content to modded minecraft the better as it gives me options to build things as simple or as crazy as I want, sure some things may be less efficient than others but who cares I play it as a sandbox game to build huge bases with giant me-systems and more machines than anyone would ever need anyway.

thekolo

Jul 29, 2019
It doesn't have Ars Magica rawr! Wait the universal configs! It has Ars Magica now, and Translocators, and Billund. I had to do all that myself, so I guess having to many mods isn't my problem with it. I actually like the Monster pack quite a lot. I just switched over from the DW20 pack because I was about to rebuild my base so I figure why not start all over again?

So far I really like it. The world gen is a little bit wonky like iron doesn't spawn at layer 8. I don't know why but there is no iron down there. I am a little upset by that but I've managed to move on with my life. Also GeoStrata's millions of different types of cobblestone gets on my nerves but I just void all that now and the crystals are rad enough that we can stay friends. I am curious to dive into some new mods and once I get my basic setup up and running I have a wealth of new things to expariment with and that excites me. I don't know what Rotorycraft or Mariculture does but I am interested in finding out.

Lastly thanks to Chisel, and several other mods I can make my base look bloody sweet. From the outside my bases are always pretty depressing but as soon as I get the layout finalized I have some amazing interior design plans.

One of the things that a lot of people seem to loose sight of in modded minecraft is that the game, at its core, is about creativity and building stuff. If you are just going to turn modded minecraft into an engineering exercise where the most efficient way is the only way and the rest are crap then you are kinda missing the point of minecraft mods or no mods. It is a trend that I see here a lot on the forums and I am generally left puzzled by it. I like doing ore refining with factorization because it looks cool and Steve's Carts is my favorite tree farm. Yes yes the mfr tree farm is better but who cares I can have a little cart instead. The whole obsession with efficiency is baffling to me.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
People enjoying Monster would be playing it and not here posting about how much they dislike Monster. And that is the main reason why it seem like most players dislike Monster.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Well, those posting that they like Monster are those at work right now. :p

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Every time a texture pack gets close to offering a complete set of textures, the FTB team adds 60 or so mods to the next pack and it's back to half pixel vomit, half mid-range resolution. It's like moving from a shed to a warehouse so you can store an extra bottle of mustard.

Thank you for that belly laugh, I hope that mustard is fucking amazing because I have to texture the warehouse every single time.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Monster is the pack designed by Slowpoke as the base for the map. It has no balance by design. The packs designed by me and Eyamaz to have more restraint are Horizons, Lite 2, MF2 and Blood and Bones. Slow makes the decisions regarding Monster, based on what his vision for the map is. The map will provide the balance Monster needs. Some modpacks get their balance from configs or a limited mod set, others are designed to get their balance from a map. A lot of the community has gone towards more streamlined themed packs. That is why you see people disliking Monster and DW20. They are large heavy packs. There are quite a few packs to choose from.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Which unintendedly makes it amazing for builders or at least I think so.

Exactly, but that won't appeal to the growing group of "survivalists". Which is way we no longer make 1-3 very similar packs. We can't please everyone with one pack, and we can't even make enough packs to please everyone, but amongst the different packs a wide variety of playstyles are covered.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Exactly, but that won't appeal to the growing group of "survivalists". Which is way we no longer make 1-3 very similar packs. We can't please everyone with one pack, and we can't even make enough packs to please everyone, but amongst the different packs a wide variety of playstyles are covered.

I have always liked the packs for giving me ideas on what mods to put in my private pack for my server. Also keeping pace with the mod versions in FTB lets me keep track of potential bugs :)

lcd

Jul 29, 2019
I hate it (but still play it) because at first its smooth sailing but after laying a few machines and some blocks my fps is cut in half, I hate how no matter how much memory I allocate to it, it always exceeds it after a while even with minimal machines (4gig allocated turns into 7, 9 and 15 gig (yes it went up to 15.6gigs) randomly...kind of like memory leaks) world gen in Monster is garbage with parts of the world being cut off (possibly caused by a mod but either way), I love the trees (and dye) in Dye Trees but have to disable the mod because of the amount of animals that spawn in rainbow forests

More mods then needed maybe

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I hate it (but still play it) because at first its smooth sailing but after laying a few machines and some blocks my fps is cut in half, I hate how no matter how much memory I allocate to it, it always exceeds it after a while even with minimal machines (4gig allocated turns into 7, 9 and 15 gig (yes it went up to 15.6gigs) randomly...kind of like memory leaks) world gen in Monster is garbage with parts of the world being cut off (possibly caused by a mod but either way), I love the trees (and dye) in Dye Trees but have to disable the mod because of the amount of animals that spawn in rainbow forests

More mods then needed maybe
So far from my experience if you are running without texturepacks you should only allocate 2GB. With a 64x texturepack 3GB might be needed. If you allocate more you are only making it worse on your self.

When it comes to allocated memory, more is not better. Less is better!

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
It doesn't have Ars Magica rawr! Wait the universal configs! It has Ars Magica now, and Translocators, and Billund. I had to do all that myself, so I guess having to many mods isn't my problem with it. I actually like the Monster pack quite a lot. I just switched over from the DW20 pack because I was about to rebuild my base so I figure why not start all over again?

So far I really like it. The world gen is a little bit wonky like iron doesn't spawn at layer 8. I don't know why but there is no iron down there. I am a little upset by that but I've managed to move on with my life. Also GeoStrata's millions of different types of cobblestone gets on my nerves but I just void all that now and the crystals are rad enough that we can stay friends. I am curious to dive into some new mods and once I get my basic setup up and running I have a wealth of new things to expariment with and that excites me. I don't know what Rotorycraft or Mariculture does but I am interested in finding out.

Lastly thanks to Chisel, and several other mods I can make my base look bloody sweet. From the outside my bases are always pretty depressing but as soon as I get the layout finalized I have some amazing interior design plans.

One of the things that a lot of people seem to loose sight of in modded minecraft is that the game, at its core, is about creativity and building stuff. If you are just going to turn modded minecraft into an engineering exercise where the most efficient way is the only way and the rest are crap then you are kinda missing the point of minecraft mods or no mods. It is a trend that I see here a lot on the forums and I am generally left puzzled by it. I like doing ore refining with factorization because it looks cool and Steve's Carts is my favorite tree farm. Yes yes the mfr tree farm is better but who cares I can have a little cart instead. The whole obsession with efficiency is baffling to me.

I think those of us on the other side of the coin think of it this way: "I enjoy building things for a reason, building just for the sake of building isn't fun." (paraphrased from a guy on the ic2 forums). I like building a rail system knowing that it solved a problem I had to overcome, like "how do I get the stuff from my quarry back to my base?" If it solves a problem, then riding that rail out to my quarry area is fulfilling to me. If I just made a rail system for the fun of it, it's not fun for me.

IMO this is why some people want balance between mods. If you have tesseracts, there is no reason to build a rail line other than to look at the cool rail system. Which as im saying, i think its not enough for people like me. IMO most people use the most powerful options in general. You saw lots of people using squid biofuel setups for no reason other than it provided you a ton of power. How many people use Ic2 miners or steves carts drills vs a BC quarry? And now i see posts on multiple forums where people say BC can be retired because of the new Ender Quarry, which is definitely better. To me BC pipes are cool to look at, but if i post a screenshot somewhere, I ALWAYS get people saying 'why are you using those? use Conduits!' Conduits are the best choice. Applied Energistics vs a pipe sorting system. AE isnt really creative at all is it? A redpower sorting machine though with a bunch of pipes is cool as hell, but in 1.4.7 youd see 1 out of 10 people choose it over an AE system. probably even less.

If you look at most packs, people often use the best items from each mod. Railcraft boilers, factorization barrels, BC quarry, Thermal Expansion ore processing. Ultimately an AE system. Look at 10 threads where people posted their bases, and until recently with some of the new mods coming in, this was what you saw about every time. Just look at my sig, KirinDave knows it. People use a mod because its easy and efficient, few people do things just for giggles.

Reactions: Pyure